Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: western blot test came back NON-REACTIVE ! WHY ??????????????  (Read 17692 times)

Offline weasel

western blot test came back NON-REACTIVE ! WHY ??????????????
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:44:14 pm »
HULLO ALL  :),
                     I usually do not start a post , I think ?

Anyway , last Wednesday  at the Saint louis V.A. I asked what my  t cells were .

I asked my psychologist ! she told me they ARE  1245 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then I asked about my  Vireal load !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The doctor told me my test came back NON-REACTIVE   , HIV NEG . !

OK this is very odd .

Who can spread some light on this ??????????????

I am now more confused than ever !

thanks  , karl , aka   weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline Robert

Re: western blot test came back NON-REACTIVE ! WHY ??????????????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:02:49 am »

Well it wouldn't be the first time someone has been wrongly diagnosed with HIV.  How long has it been since you've been "positive?".  When did you get your 1st diagnosis?

I remember when I was recovering from PCP I was on the boards here one day when Ann and our Irish friend from NYC (I forget his name but Alex(Allopathicholistic) knows who I'm talking about and so does Ann) were talking about a veteran from the VA who had been wrongly diagnosed. I had just read the story in the SF Chronicle about some guy from Hayward (a suburb of San Francisco) and that's who Ann and this guy were talking about.  Anyway you can read his story HERE. .

If it turns out you've been wrongly diagnosed, you just might have a case.  As I recall the guy from Hayward filed suit against the VA and won a pretty good settlement.

robert

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:44:44 am »
Karl -- I do not believe a Viral Load test can have a "non reactive" results.  It only produces a VL count, or a "undetectable" result (i.e. <50, or <48, depending on how sensitive the test is).  Unless your doc ran another HIV antibody test, you wouldn't get a "non reactive" result.

Please confirm with your doc if he ran an HIV antibody test.

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:27:12 am »
hullo peter !

YES  my doctor ordered  the wrong test !

the doctor  ordered an  HIV antibody test !

When I  asked  about my  viral  load , she  told me  that the wrong test was ordered

and moved on to a defferent  subject , I.E. my IMPETIGO , that has  plaged me
for  4  years now .

She just said she would have the right blood test done .

and NOT to even think of what that ( western blot ,antibody test said )

I am going to get ALL  copies of my  medical records from  dec 2007 .

something is not right !

thanks for your reply !

I do appreiciate  your concern  and  opinion !

karl

ps  . can a antibody test show  non-reactive ,to an HIV pos person ?
" Live and let Live "

Offline sadunkal

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:05:35 am »
Hi Karl,

Could you please tell the latest situation with your test results. Has it been clarified now?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:59:30 am »
Why, of all topics, is this still in LTS? This forum is for people who have lived with the virus forever. The OP seems to not even be poz.

WTF?
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »
Why, of all topics, is this still in LTS? This forum is for people who have lived with the virus forever. The OP seems to not even be poz.

WTF?

You're right, Bucko, I never even realised this thread was in LTS - I normally use the "recent unread" page instead of going into individual forums and never noticed. I've moved it to Living, a more appropriate place for it.

Karl, it does indeed seem odd that you got a non-reactive WB result - whether the doctor accidentally ordered the wrong test or not. If you're hiv positive, the antibody/WB tests will always come back with reactive (positive) results. You might want to have an ELISA and WB run - perhaps at a local testing center if your doctor doesn't seem to be interested in getting to the bottom of this strange result. Let us know what happens.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 06:43:50 pm »
hey bucko ,
            MY    issue is NOT  resolved !

V.A. is hard to deal with !

IS  1980  A LONG ENOUGH TIME TO BE FUCKING AROUND WITH HIV
THAT TURNED TO AIDS IN 2004 ?

WHERE DID YOU READ I WAS NOT A LONG TERM SURVIVER ?

sorry if I put my post in the wrong place .

please forgive  me , karl

not a forum queen !
" Live and let Live "

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 06:50:38 pm »
hey bucko , no offence  to you !
i found your post RUDE beyond RUDE !

oh what is a OP ?

please use words OLD  people know .

thank you  :)

karl

op ? no clue ......................................
" Live and let Live "

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:58:14 pm »
op = other person. It's not meant to be rude.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:07:08 pm »

:P I thought OP meant "original poster"
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:10:53 pm »
so very confusing !

i do NOT understand all of it .

sometimes I just POP

life is hard enough without trying to PRY labs out of a doctor

i will post as soon as i get my next labs ................................

THEY HAS BETTER BE RIGHT , no good labs from JANUARY ????????????

best to all ,  karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline auspoz

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »
I really hope you can get this figured out soon. It must be so frustrating with it up in the air.

Hoping for a speedy resolution to your mixed message.

Auspoz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:45 pm »

That too.  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »

It does
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 12:12:39 am »
I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THE " I JUST TESTED POZ" FOR A WHILE

VERY INTERESTING TO READ THAT SEVERAL POSTS  INDICATED

THAT THEY ALSO NEVER DEVELOPED ANTIBODIES TO HIV  :o

SEEMS LIKE MY SITUATION IS JUST ANOTHER  ODDITY ?

BUT I DO THANK THOSE OF YOU THAT CARED ENOUGH TO ASK  :)

LOVE YOU GUYS ,

KARL
" Live and let Live "

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 04:25:06 am »
Karl,
In your posts you identify as a "slow progressor" and 18 years HIV+ before AIDS diagnosis.
Unless I misunderstood your posts.

In the post to a newbie, you say you have no antibodies...  I think is related to your recent non-reactive test.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=23781.0

However, it seems to me that if you were a "slow progressor" your immune system mounted a VERY effective control of HIV for many years.  And if you were previously tested HIV+ (???) then at some time the past you had antibodies? How do you know you have had HIV for 18 years if you never had an HIV+ result??

I am confused.

Did you get an answer yet as to why you are recently "non-reactive"??? 

Anyway, in the case of the newbie post, and my situation, our bodies have very little if ANY ability to control the virus and we are in the "VERY FAST" progressor category - rare - and without HAART would have full blown AIDS within months or a year.  I think that is what the newbie poster meant by "no antibodies". At least that is what I meant. 

Hey, I also was on a severe diet when I seroconverted...  Strange..

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 06:13:55 am »
I am completely lost here.

Non reactive means no hiv antibodies ? And still (some?) loss of T4 cells  due to HIV  ???

Does this mean that there could be numbers of people out there with an hiv infection despite negative test results ? The virus has managed to elude current testing methods, and is spreading unnoticed ? If that's the case ..........I don't even dare to mention out loud what this could mean.
Please tell me someone made a mistake somewhere along the way !!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:16:12 am by Grasshopper »

Offline auspoz

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 06:19:45 am »
I'm with Grasshopper here. I don't understand this at all.

Auspoz.

Offline weasel

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 07:19:34 am »
yes GRASSHOPPER  THIS DOES scare the crap out of me !

But FACTS do not  lie !

and the facts have not changed .

I HAVE no ANTIBODIES  and the V.A. does NOT really care to find out why , even thou

the Saint Louis V.A. is a TEACHING hospital

I find it curios ................................................

I started AIDS with  101 T-cells , of witch I have learned over the years ARE really CD-4

and NOT T-cells at all

My T cells are over  1,200 , BUT my CD-4  is now up to  399 !

I have to be on SSDI for 2 years before medicade kicks in ,sooooooooo

NEXT  October 2009 , I can use PRIVATE DOCTORS AND HOSPITALS , maybe i will

find someone who cares enough to delve into this odd phenomenon

Be careful ,

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14:36 am »
Karl -- I've removed your posting in the "I Just Tested Poz" thread where you repeated this claim about having no antibodies.  Please don't repeat this in other threads.

The reason I did this is because you DO have antibodies to HIV -- your claim otherwise is not medically possible.  I'd also like you to not repeat the claim that you were nonreactive on a Western Blot test unless you can have that test done again and confirm the results.

Fact is, lab errors happen every day -- the result your doctor mentioned could well have been a lab error -- a result from someone else's lab test for instance.  That's why doctors almost always confirm something unexpected or unusual before making a final pronouncement or taking any actions based on a nonsensical result.

In addition, there was no reason to order this test to begin with, and as you explained it, "your doctor accidentally ordered the wrong test" (they had planned on ordering a viral load test instead).  This might also be evidence of a lab error -- if your doc actually ordered a VL test, but got back a Western Blot test, then it sounds like two patients' tests and results got switched (another doc is probably wondering why his patient's WB test came back with a VL result instead).

Bottom line, this was very likely a lab error or doctor's error, and you need to either retest, or drop it.  Unless you retest, I'm asking you NOT to post in other threads that you have no antibodies.

Thanks Karl.

Peter

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 09:07:59 am »
Karl:

I'm having a difficult time making sense of your situation, as it's not clear what the facts are here.

But first, I'd like to clarify something. CD4 cells are actually a subset of cells known as T-lymphocytes, often referred to as CD3 cells on laboratory reports. Thus, on a lab report, your CD4 count is reported as the "CD3+/CD4+ Absolute" -- the estimated number of CD4 cells in a milliliter of blood. However, in a lot of what you read -- including in the AIDSmeds pages and in the Forums -- the terms CD4 cells and T cells are used interchangeably, as it really is the "CD3+/CD4+ Absolute" number that matters most.

Now, in your message above, you say: "My T cells are over  1,200 , BUT my CD-4  is now up to  399!" Are you saying that your "CD3 absolute" (the total number of T lymphocytes) is 1,200 and that your "CD3+/CD4+ Absolute" is 399? If you have a printout of your most recent lab report, we can get to the bottom of this. 

I've gone through your posting history in order to better understand things. You're saying that your first CD4 count was 101 and your first viral load was 140,000. This is clearly indicative of HIV infection. But did you also initially have reactive (positive) EIA and Western blot testing? Second, did you have a second round of CD4s and VL tests before starting treatment? If so, what were the results (in other words, did you have a second test that showed a high viral load)?

Have your doctors ordered another Western blot to determine if your most recent "nonreactive" results were a mistake?

Fact of the matter is, your doctors work for you. They should be responding to your anxiety and fears with follow-up testing to make sure that there has been no mistake, to give you -- and them -- peace of mind. Have you asked them to conduct another Western blot?

Tim Horn 

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:43:05 am »
Karl:

Fact of the matter is, your doctors work for you. They should be responding to your anxiety and fears with followup testing to make sure that there has been no mistake, to give you -- and them -- peace of mind. Have you asked them to conduct another Western blot?

Tim Horn 

Karl, this is very true, especially with the VA.  I have been very fortunate with the Tucson VA, but not the Albuquerque VA in New Mexico.  I want you to know that what Tim said above is especially true with you now, and you must demand a new lab screening, including the vl test.  Furthermore, if you do have one done, please don't go into the lab on Friday, because the VA doesn't do vl testing on Friday.

Please do yourself a favor and remember YOU are your own boss at the VA and they work for you!  I don't care what anyone else says, this is truly important in this system of care.  If you do not get resolution of this problem, and you cannot reschedule all this work, along with a CLEAR explanation of all the labs; then go to the patient advocate, and make sure someone informs the HIV doctors that you have not been taken care of.  Don't be patient here, just push on until you get some solution going.  I have pushed the VA even as high as Washington DC, because Dr. Bopper is one of the most caring and responsive people in the whole of the VA system.  He is the head of the VA HIV services department and will not stand for sloppy work.

In the end, it is you my dear friend that will make the difference between poor care and good care.

Let me know if the above things help. 

Remember, DEMAND another lab screening and an explanation!!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 10:05:29 am »
Karl's situation does not appear to be unheard of, at least according to information posted on the UCSF HIVInsite pages.  A May 2006 article states:

"Also, it is known that some individuals with AIDS may lose reactivity to p24, and perhaps other antibodies, later in disease, so that even AIDS patients may have indeterminate Western blot results by some criteria. "

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-02-02-01

Also the idea that a WB would always be determinative seems rather unscientific.  Tests do have false positive rates and false negative rates even when carefully controlled (i.e. under conditions where lab error is more likely to be controlled than in the field) and as Peter points out lab error introduces even more chances for things to go wrong in odd cases.

One estimate of the ELISA false negative rate is .003%, which means that for every 100,000 tests 3 people might be missed.  To answer Grasshopper's concern, if we extrapolate that to the world today, we think about one-quarter to one-third of people with HIV don't know it which is 25 to 33 thousand people out of every hundred thousand for a worldwide total in the millions of people. If everyone were tested, we'd be down to 3 out of every hundred thousand not knowing for a worldwide total of about 1,000 people.

Edited to add (the conclusion):  So the problem about HIV spreading unknown is almost all in the fact that people aren't tested, rather than in the accuracy of the tests that we have.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:16:36 am by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:23 am »
Wait till october 2009  ?   :o

If lack off financial resources is an issue, why not get re-tested at a "free clinic" , if such a facility exicist in your area ?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:15:27 am by Grasshopper »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:46 am »
Assurbanipal, a P24 test is an antigen test not an antibody test. 

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:29 am »
Karl's situation does not appear to be unheard of, at least according to information posted on the UCSF HIVInsite pages.  A May 2006 article states:

"Also, it is known that some individuals with AIDS may lose reactivity to p24, and perhaps other antibodies, later in disease, so that even AIDS patients may have indeterminate Western blot results by some criteria. "

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-02-02-01

Also the idea that a WB would always be determinative seems rather unscientific.  Tests do have false positive rates and false negative rates even when carefully controlled (i.e. under conditions where lab error is more likely to be controlled than in the field) and as Peter points out lab error introduces even more chances for things to go wrong in odd cases.

One estimate of the ELISA false negative rate is .003%, which means that for every 100,000 tests 3 people might be missed.  To answer Grasshopper's concern, if we extrapolate that to the world today, we think about one-quarter to one-third of people with HIV don't know it which is 25 to 33 thousand people out of every hundred thousand for a worldwide total in the millions of people. If everyone were tested, we'd be down to 3 out of every hundred thousand not knowing for a worldwide total of about 1,000 people.

Edited to add (the conclusion):  So the problem about HIV spreading unknown is almost all in the fact that people aren't tested, rather than in the accuracy of the tests that we have.

Or this sub-article in the link you provided ?

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite-KB-ref.jsp?page=kb-02-02-01&rf=46

"Abstract:
Infections by highly divergent strains of HIV-1, first detected in central Africa and grouped provisionally as group O, have not been reliably detected by certain European HIV screening tests. Serum specimens from eight probable group O infections from Cameroon were tested by ten HIV assays licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration. All assays based on synthetic peptides or recombinant antigens failed to detect at least one of the infections; assays based on whole-virus lysates performed better. Divergent HIV strains may be undetected by current HIV tests. Thus active surveillance for and characterisation of HIV variants to evaluate and, when necessary, modify current tests is urgently needed. "

&

"False-Negative Results for HIV Group O

False-negative results by HIV serologic assays have been verified when testing some individuals infected by HIV Group O viruses.(41) This group of viruses, found primarily in Cameroon and Gabon, also has been reported in Europe and the United States.(42) Several "acceptable" routine HIV screening assays have been documented to produce false-negative results in up to 20% of sera from individuals infected with Group O viruses.(43) Although it is difficult to recommend measures to prevent this misdiagnosis, manufacturers of test kits are addressing this problem by incorporating antigens from Group O viruses.(44) Health care providers can be vigilant by inquiring as to the geographic origin of persons tested, or their contact with persons from these areas of Africa. The same is true for HIV-2 infections, when HIV-1-only assays are used (see above)."

=> Were the necessary measures taken into account to prevent a misdiagnosis ?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:44:33 am by Grasshopper »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 11:51:25 am »
Grasshopper, did you happen to take a look at the references? Sensitivity of United States HIV antibody tests for detection of HIV-1 group O infections. Lancet. 1994 Nov.  I would say that is a little outdated.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:52 am »
I was and am under the impression that, until the end stages of the AIDS process, at which point ALL antibody production ceases, an individual diagnosed with HIV infection will produce antibodies.

It is also my understanding that a Western Blot is more sensitive, as it tests for antigens rather than strict antibodies. And barring lab error, is far less prone to false negatives.

I strongly recommend the original poster get confirmation on this recent development, and further recommend that the OP refrain from making claims in Recently Infected forums that people can be HIV positive without, well, being HIV positive.

Unless there has been a breakthrough of the calibre that would necessitate the complete rewriting of the Transmission and AM I sections, and perhaps this entire website.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 12:05:26 pm »
All this speculation is not doing anyone any good. I suggest this thread is left alone until such time as Weasel either has independent antibody re-tests or provides us with a lab print-out as requested by Tim Horn. I think there's more to this than meets the eye and as I said, there's no point in all the speculation. What we need here are hard facts and the ONLY people who can provide those facts are Weasel and his doctor.

Thank you for your cooperation everyone!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 12:43:49 pm »
It is also my understanding that a Western Blot is more sensitive, as it tests for antigens rather than strict antibodies. And barring lab error, is far less prone to false negatives.

Actually, Western blot is more SPECIFIC than it is sensitive, hence it is used to weed out false-positive EIA results. EIA, which is highly sensitive, is siginficantly less likely to produce false-negative results, hence it tends to be the final world if someone hasn't been infected with the virus.

But as Ann says, we're really not at the point where scientific debate is helpful to anyone -- what we need is more information (and likely additional testing) from Weasel.

Tim Horn

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 01:11:12 pm »
Actually, Western blot is more SPECIFIC than it is sensitive

Thanks, Tim, thats what I meant to state. I misspoke in my earlier statement, and stand corrected. I shall refrain from further posting in this thread until the matter is cleared up.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.