Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:15:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 591
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: boils  (Read 5458 times)

Offline motherinneed

boils
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:00:50 am »
Has anyone experienced large painful boils? My son has had two so far over a very short period of time and they are the size of quarters in width and very hard and painful. Just wondering if this can be a medication side effect? He is on Atripla.

Offline weasel

Re: boils
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:21:23 am »
 Hi MOM ,
               I have suffered from boils !

Not as large as  dimes BUT  many of them !

It has happened   several times !

My Doctors  always  Called them  "  Impetigo "  , A  Catchall  phrase  for skin  problems !

I have found    AUGMENTON   fixes me right up !

Two weeks and they are  gone , BUT  takes a year for the spots to go away !

AND  then BAM !   I get them again !

The Augment causes  HORRID  stomach  and Diarrhoea !

I hope  your son is doing better !

OH , I am on Truvada , norvir , Reyataz .

I do NOT think they are drug related ,as I got my first ones BEFORE  starting   HARRT !

Be well ,
                                                                       Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:26:24 am »
Mother,

Boils are usually caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. While they won't be related to his meds, they may be related to the state of his immune system. What are his numbers like? Of course, it can also be absolutely nothing to do with hiv as healthy people can and do get boils. I've had boils in the past, long before I was poz.

He really should have the boils looked at by a doctor. There is a small danger that they are being cause by MRSA - Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. A doctor may also lance the boil, put him on an antibiotic and give him an antibiotic soap to wash with.

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.medicinenet.com/boils/article.htm

http://dermnetnz.org/bacterial/boils.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_MRSA_ca_public.html

Hope that's some help, and please, get him to see a doctor, especially if the boils keep recurring or if they are taking a long time to heal.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:42:04 am »
I had a couple of these, in my case they were basically staph infections (as Ann points out). I was not officially diagnosed with HIV at the time, it was about a year before. I decided to "self-medicate" and I applied a very hot heating pad and they went away.

I don't necessarily recommend others try this approach, but heat does kill most of these bacteria that cause boils. It's extremely painful to apply heat and when I was doing it I just kept imagining that it was killing the bacteria and they were yelling out in a high-pitched "Mr. Bill" type voice. I normally don't like to kill anything, not even bugs, but if you're gonna get in my bloodstream you're asking for it. ;)

The potential danger with these infections if left untreated is that they could get worse and go into the bloodstream and if that happens it can be potentially fatal (septicemia) or they can even reach the brain (bacterial meningitis). They can be treated with antibiotics and it wouldn't hurt to speed up the process and help it along by applying heat to them if you can stand it (heating pad).

The good news is that they are treatable so there's no reason for them to become fatal, just don't ignore them, make sure he sees a doctor.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:13:39 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline Florida69

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:50:06 am »
I found out I was poz by going to the doctor with two staph infections, you should get those checked out.  I kept infecting myself.  When I  had the two I heard there was a study out that staph infections could be fatal.  As Inchlingblue stated, they are treatable, but it is necessary to get a good antibiotic like bactrim, before they reach the blood stream and possible brain.  Good luck.. D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:42:14 am »

it wouldn't hurt to speed up the process and help it along by applying heat to them if you can stand it (heating pad).

The last time I had a boil, I asked my doctor about applying direct heat because I thought it would help bring it to a head faster. He emphatically said, "NO, DO NOT DO THAT". He claimed applying heat would make it more likely for the bacteria to get into the blood stream. He said a hot bath was ok though, but not a heating pad.

So maybe that's not such a good idea.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chguy78

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:57:37 am »
[My doctor] said a hot bath was ok though, but not a heating pad.

How about some more contradictory information? :-)  I lived overseas for a few years in remote locations and we were told NOT to take hot baths if we had a boil (like that was really a possibility) due to the possibility of the bacteria spreading to other breaks in the skin.  Showers were OK.  Be mindful when cleaning them to avoid cross-contamination, too.  No fun.
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:48:38 pm »
The last time I had a boil, I asked my doctor about applying direct heat because I thought it would help bring it to a head faster. He emphatically said, "NO, DO NOT DO THAT". He claimed applying heat would make it more likely for the bacteria to get into the blood stream. He said a hot bath was ok though, but not a heating pad.

So maybe that's not such a good idea.

Ann

My doctor said to apply heat. I had already done it anyway, but she did recommend it, so go figure.

The actual recommendation was a "warm compress" but I turned up the volume and made it more  hot than warm. Obviously we are not dispensing medical advice here, just sharing our own experiences.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:01:33 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
How about some more contradictory information? :-)  I lived overseas for a few years in remote locations and we were told NOT to take hot baths if we had a boil (like that was really a possibility) due to the possibility of the bacteria spreading to other breaks in the skin.  Showers were OK.  Be mindful when cleaning them to avoid cross-contamination, too.  No fun.

Yes, that would make sense. My doctor had given me an antibacterial bubblebath to use, so I assume that's why he said a bath was ok - because I'd be using the antibacterial soap in the water.

My doctor said to apply heat. I had already done it anyway, but she did recommend it, so go figure.

The actual recommendation was a "warm compress" but I turned up the volume and made it more  hot than warm. Obviously we are not dispensing medical advice here, just sharing our own experiences.

Yeah, my impression from the doc was that a certain amount of heat was ok, hence the hot bath, but not something as direct and hot as a heating pad. Go figure. :D

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 03:08:55 pm »

I don't mean to gross anyone out, but I have a few reoccurring boils that can really be great tools for passing times of boredom.  I got this one cool one right above my knee cap and I can always count on it for a little entertainment.  Perhaps I'll make a video one day and post it in off topic.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline motherinneed

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 04:53:45 pm »
thank you all. I can always count on you all to give me something to think about. My son's first boil is gone but yes it left a scar. The second is draining and bleeding. I have suggested he go to the doctor several times. He says it is getting better. Thanks again everyone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.