Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 344
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need honest assesment (HIV risk)  (Read 11697 times)

Offline maherbader

Need honest assesment (HIV risk)
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »
I'm male.I recently had unprotected oral sex with a man of unknown status. It is my first time to experience sex (No anal / no viginal). I deep throated him and swallowed his semen after ejaculation I'm not sure about the condition of my throat if it doesn't have a cut or bleeding. I thought oral sex was safe sex but I was wrong based on some websites. What worries me is that I have a phlegm in my throat during that oral sex because of the cough I'm experiencing. I'm worrying maybe I put my self at risk of HIV and the phlegm will add more risk to me. after about two weeks I experience diarreah that lasted about three days, I also had mouth sore, cough, muscle twitches and aches. I also experience sweating of feet and hand and headaches which I think is coming from the eyes, which bothers me because It is not usual for me to experience those things all at the same time. Do I need to test for HIV because of this? and also one more question, because I read here that saliva can protect us from the virus. How about if the person has a high viral load? does saliva can still act to kill the virus? Please I hope you can honestly asses my situation. I'm very very much worried. That experience gave me a trauma because of ignorance about HIV.

Offline maherbader

Re: Need honest assesment (HIV risk)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
another question. Does an HIV+ person with high viral load can inffect a person doing the sucking with swallowing semen? Do I need to test because of this incident?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »
Basically you are worrying needlessly. The risk from giving oral to another guy is only theoretical. Your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

There is no risk whatsoever from receiving a blowjob.

I don't see any need for testing for HIV unless you need the inevitable negative result strictly for your peace of mind.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:12:16 pm »
While I would certainly categorize your incident as very LOW risk, I on't think I could in good faith call it ZERO risk. If a person has a high viral load, and if your oral cavity was compromised, there might be the faintest possibility. I cannot quantify it, because no study other than those done with (highly unreliable) patient report after transmission has found any infections through oral sex of any kind. Like Andy said, it's theoretically possible, but has yet to be borne out in verifiable conditions.

However, I would not think to test - 0r recommend a test - over this single incident. You should, however, be getting at least two complete STD panels a year, including a routine HIV test.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline maherbader

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:44:46 am »
So you still don't recommend testing on my situation? What bothers me is that the symptoms I'm experiencing especially diarrhea and mouthsore and also headaches coming from the eyes. Does a lack of fever, swollen lymphnodes, rashes a good indication that I'm not really inffected? because as of now I haven't have those symptoms only the one I mentioned above. But still quite worried because I read in this forum from the newly infected person (POZ forum) claiming that they got infection from oral sex. Do you think I don't have to believe them? it somehow gives panic to some readers. But I keep myself calm and try to follow your advice. although I must admit that I'm very anxious.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:17:03 am »
There is nothing in anyway HIV specific about any of your symptoms. You should discuss them with your doctor.

As I said previously, I don't see a need for testing unless you need that inevitable negative result just for your peace of mind. You can test at 6 weeks. A negative at that point in this situation will very strongly point the way to another negative and conclusive result at 3 months.

But I say again, I don't see this as being an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline maherbader

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 03:39:12 pm »
Just one more question regarding saliva.Is it scientifically proven that it really kills HIV? because I'm just wondering why some doctors are hesitant to say that. usually they tell that there is still a risk and recommend also testing. just being confused.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »
Just one more question regarding saliva.Is it scientifically proven that it really kills HIV? because I'm just wondering why some doctors are hesitant to say that. usually they tell that there is still a risk and recommend also testing. just being confused.

Yes. There is a body of evidence which clearly demonstrates that human saliva contains substances which inactivate HIV.

We live in litigious days. Doctors have to be careful what they tell their patients. Nothing in medicine (like any science) is absolute. So, understandably, doctors often order tests "just to be sure".

MtD

Offline maherbader

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:45:05 am »
Do you think it is absolute that saliva really kills HIV even when the person has a low immune system? Like me I always have a cough and phlegm even though I take medicine it's like I always have cough. to be honest I don't have the courage to take a test as of now. I'm very afraid that the result might be positive. But I consider your advice that it is not risky. I'm just bothered with my immune system and I'm not sure if the person I had oral sex has a high viral load if ever he is positive. I'm just hoping that that person is negative. I was really traumatized with my first sexual experience (oral sex). I think I'm not gonna repeat it again.

have you ever encountered a person infected through oral sex? or have you experienced giving a wrong assesment on a person that later on turned out positive through oral sex?

Sorry for asking too much. I'm really afraid to take a test now. that's why I'm just relying on your advice. I hope I'm not wrong not to take an HIV test.

Offline maherbader

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:51:10 am »
Sorry but I read this on the net. Is this true? It can happen that there is no symtoms for 10 years?

AIDS begins with HIV infection. People who are infected with HIV may have no symptoms for 10 years or longer, but they can still transmit the infection to others during this symptom-free period. If the infection is not detected and treated, the immune system gradually weakens and AIDS develops.

Acute HIV infection progresses over time (usually a few weeks to months) to asymptomatic HIV infection (no symptoms) and then to early symptomatic HIV infection. Later, it progresses to AIDS (advanced HIV infection with CD4 T-cell count below 200 cells/mm3 ).

Almost all people infected with HIV, if they are not treated, will develop AIDS. There is a small group of patients who develop AIDS very slowly, or never at all. These patients are called nonprogressors, and many seem to have a genetic difference that prevents the virus from significantly damaging their immune system.

The symptoms of AIDS are mainly the result of infections that do not normally develop in people with a healthy immune system. These are called opportunistic infections.

People with AIDS have had their immune system damaged by HIV and are very susceptible to these opportunistic infections. Common symptoms are:

Chills
Fever
Sweats (particularly at night)
Swollen lymph glands
Weakness
Weight loss
Note: At first, infection with HIV may produce no symptoms. Some people, however, do experience flu-like symptoms with fever, rash, sore throat, and swollen lymph nodes, usually 2 - 4 weeks after contracting the virus. Some people with HIV infection stay symptom-free for years between the time when they are exposed to the virus and when they develop AIDS

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:51:34 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline maherbader

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:53:16 am »
I hope you can just answer my first question. Anyone of the moderator please answer my questions. Sir andy, Ann or any of the moderator. I just need answer. Please

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:55:28 am »
You were answered several times, you are not paying attention. Reread the replies you have been given and move along.

Offline maherbader

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:59:55 am »
Bacause I have low immune system. I always have a cough. But don't have courage to take a test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:14 am »
Well that is your choice then to not test. I wouldn't expect anything other than a negative result if you do test.

But I can tell you were are not going to be available to continue a back and forth about this incident with you. Testing is strictly for your peace of mind and seems to me to make good sense rather than continuing to nurse your fears, however unfounded they are.

But as I said, testing is up to you. I don't see HIV as being a problem for you at this time.
Andy Velez

Offline maherbader

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »
Sorry to ask another question.

1.In assessing risk do you based it on doctors recommendation/ assesment?

2.Do you have a statistics regarding how many HIV positive here in Saudi? I cannot find in the internet an updated statistics.

3.Do you think there are many people who are infected here?

4.Do you think it is still fine if I will delay my testing and make it on the other country because here in Saudi it is very strict about homosexuals.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 04:22:47 pm »
maher,

1. We base our risk assessments on the proven science of hiv transmission - coupled with the assumption that the other person is hiv positive.

2. No.

3. I have no idea.

4. As you really only need to test for your own peace of mind, test when you want. There is no doubt in my mind that you will test hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »
Basically you are worrying needlessly. The risk from giving oral to another guy is only theoretical. Your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

There is no risk whatsoever from receiving a blowjob.

I don't see any need for testing for HIV unless you need the inevitable negative result strictly for your peace of mind.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.

Our focus here is on evaluating the specifics of each situation. No, we do not have statistics on how many HIV+ there are in Saudi. It's totally irrelevant. What matters is what you do sexually and not who you do it with nor what the rate of infection is in a particular area.

Unfortunately you are considering everything through an HIV jitters mindset. I've already told you that testing is strictly for your peace of mind and not because you had any real risk.

At this point I am going to warn you that if you continue to return here with more what ifs over this non-risk situation, you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site for at least 28 days. Stop the drama now and get on with your life. If I thought there was a real risk I would say so. 
Andy Velez

Offline maherbader

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »
If oral sex is a no risk situation, why are some doctors still recomend PEP for cases of oral sex especially for a person who swallowed semen? I read in other forums some people who are recommended for Pep but their only exposure was oral sex.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 06:02:36 pm »
We're not responsible for what others put out on the web. For sure if you continue to surf the web you will find lots to feed your worst fears and all to no good purpose.

You've gotten clear and accurate evaluations of your basically non-risk situation. Do with it what you will.

Now I am going to warn you that if you continue to come back with more what ifs about your non-risk, you are going to get at least a 28 day Time Out from the site. We are not going to hand hold you everytime you have another burst of HIV-related anxiety.

HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline maherbader

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 07:30:22 am »
As of now I cannot take an HIV test because I'm staying in a country that is very strict against homosexual. I'm afraid to get a test here. But will wait a few more months for my vacation in other country so I can take the test there.

But my anxiety is torturing me. Do you think it is advisable if I take anti anxiety medicine while waiting for the right time to test? I was really traumatized with this sexual experience because of fear in HIV. I think I'm not gonna repeat this again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 07:38:33 am »
Maher,

Do what you want. There is no reason for you to not test for hiv - you will test negative. You never had a true risk.

I'm giving you that time out Andy warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline maherbader

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:02:15 am »
Is it possible for a symptoms of HIV to appear after 3 months post exposure? because right now I have a tonsillitis and have difficulty to swallow. I'm afraid this is a symptom of HIV. I still haven't tested yet because I'm still here in Saudi Arabia. I'm still waiting for my vacation to get tested in other country. But my anxiety is going a little bit down. but right now I have a tonsillitis I'm afraid this is connected with HIV symptoms I hope you can help me by giving advice. My possible exposure is still oral sex I have done 3 months ago no other sex exposure other than that one.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 01:08:04 pm »
There is nothing in anyway HIV specific about any of your symptoms. You should discuss them with your doctor.

As I said previously, I don't see a need for testing unless you need that inevitable negative result just for your peace of mind. You can test at 6 weeks. A negative at that point in this situation will very strongly point the way to another negative and conclusive result at 3 months.

But I say again, I don't see this as being an HIV situation.

At this point I am going to warn you that if you continue to return here with more what ifs and fears which have no basis in HIV science, you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out for 28 days from the site.

There is no sound basis for your fears about HIV. Stop the drama and get on with your life.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.