Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:56:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 304
Total: 305

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Am I falling head over heels for him or just crazy?!  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Dennis

Am I falling head over heels for him or just crazy?!
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:36:22 pm »
It’s been a long time since I’ve felt this way this way about anyone.  About 5 months ago my  friend told me about how a mutual friend of ours (actually, more of an acquaintance to me) tested positive.  I’ve hung out with this person on occasion within our circle of friends, but never really felt any major attraction towards him until recently.  The three of us went to Vegas a few weeks ago and I really got to know him better and told him of my status.  The weeks prior to our trip he’s called me a couple of times (he’s never called me in the three years we’ve known each other) to discuss what shows and such we were going to see and would on occasion throw in a sexual innuendo.  Our first night in Vegas, of course after partying, there was a lot of touching and feeling.  More like flirting, I guess.  The three of us went out this past Friday night, and again, there was more of the occasional flirting.

He’s in his forties and is normally attracted to guys in their twenties.  He’s actually been dating someone for the past couple of months or so.  It doesn’t appear to be too too serious though.

So here’s my problem.  For the past couple of weeks he’s constantly on my mind.  I’m not sure if it’s because I really have an attraction for him or because I know he’s HIV+.  Am I making sense?  Probably not.  Anyways, everyone tells me I should just ask him out to dinner.  I hesitate though ‘cause for one, deep down inside, I fear rejection and two, the three of us are booked to go on a cruise in January and I don’t want things to become awkward if the feelings aren’t mutual.       

God, I feel like I’m in HS again! 

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Am I falling head over heels for him or just crazy?!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:51:04 pm »
So here’s my problem.  For the past couple of weeks he’s constantly on my mind.  I’m not sure if it’s because I really have an attraction for him or because I know he’s HIV+. 

oooo, sounds exciting..  8) ...........the way I see it, you *DO* have an attraction for him otherwise you would have written stuff in your post like oh - he's the antithesis of EVERYTHING i look for in a guy physically (and yeah i read the part about him being in his 40s and you usually go for 20s). ... and shared what you don't care for physically about him in detail .... 

this sounds too exciting to pass up! keep us posted!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:42:03 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:18:04 pm »
Post a picture of him and let us decide for you.  ;D Just kidding of course. Totally understand what you're saying, your dilemma. Similar thing happened to me. Met someone many months ago, not initially attracted to him though he seemed nice enough; until I found out he was positive as well. (He later told me that he wasn't initially that attracted to me either.) I wondered, as well: is it just the poz thing? Well, it may have been at first, but as we got to know each other the attraction had nothing to do with serostatus, I'm confident of that. It didn't work out, but that's a diiferent story.

Anyway, what I'm saying is -- what's the harm in getting to know him better? If the attraction is real, it'll only deepen as you get to know all the wonderful things about him. If it's just a transient sort of attraction, well, you'll find that out too (no?). And Dennis, with your description of what's been going on -- phone calls, touching, flirting -- I don't think you need to fear rejection. Seriously. And it's one meal to start with, fer cryin' out loud.

January is faaaaaar away; are you going to pass on this because of potential awkwardness six months from now?

I was talking to a friend about this the other day -- dating "against type." I mean, we spend so much time (I do anyway) pining over or chasing after men who immediately get our eyes and crotches excited. How often is it worth it? And dating against type seems to have made several people I know very happy.

Being in high school again is wonderful; pretending I'm in twelfth grade is the way I survive grad school part deux (much to the horror of my dignified 22-year-old peers).

And btw, how's the new business?

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:27:17 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:42:28 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:23:11 am »
Dennis...

There's an old saying," Nothing ventured...nothing gained" and I'm a firm believer.  It sounds like you are attracted to him.  At this point it doesn't really matter WHY.  The only way you're going to find out is to take a leap of faith.  ASK HIM OUT.  Who knows...he may feel the same way about you.  And then again he may turn out to be the best friend you ever had........either way...  Go For IT! :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.