Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:02:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 607
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Consumption of Blood  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Foundry590

Consumption of Blood
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:32 am »
Well here goes nothing.

I was referred to this site from within another one of the like in my search for assistance. It seems as though consistent information concerning both the spread and diagnosis of HIV is not easy to come by even in this day and age.

Now let me cut right to the chase; a mutual friend amongst our group is HIV positive. It’s no secret and he’s certainly not treated any differently because of it. Albeit something occurred over the weekend that has put me in somewhat of an awkward position, and left me with a significant degree of worry.

At a function that took place, this person was inside preparing condiments for an outdoor BBQ at which point he managed to let the knife slip and cut his finger. At this point I was still outside, unaware of what had taken place. The part that worries me is that as he was upstairs dressing his wound, I came in with my food, took a few condiments and popped them into my mouth. It was when I went back for more that I noticed a small smeared puddle of blood on the cutting board from the spot where I had taken the condiments only moments ago.

I took a strip of paper dowel and dabbed it to be sure of what it was, and it was blood, all right. I then examined the board to find more spots. Some of which were on the food, so I took the whole board and emptied it into a garbage bag.

At this point I was informed of what had happened from someone there and told that our friend would need to be driven to a hospital for stitches.

Now from what I have read thus far, I understand saliva has the ability to prohibit the virus from remaining infectious. My specific problem is that at the time, I had a bleeding canker sore in my mouth; one of many that are the results of vigorous tooth brushing. Sometimes the brush scrapes the inside of my mouth and the result is a canker. These always bleed as I eat until they’re fully healed. I went to check in a mirror and sure enough, the sore was slightly bleeding. Obviously not copiously, but there was a small trickle of blood.

As soon as I saw this I had begun to panic slightly. I got home later that day and did a little research. I found sites which mention that small abrasions in the mouth, throat and gastrointestinal tract could all serve as entry points for HIV. This of course, did not calm me down.

I mentioned this issue privately to another one of our friends and he wasn’t exactly confident that it wasn’t something to worry about. The best he could offer me was that in his opinion, it wasn’t a very risky incident, yet I might consider blood tests just to be sure. If that is in fact what needs to be done, then I’ll wait it out and get tested.

I have not chosen to confront my friend with the injury directly about my concerns for the sake of possibly embarrassing him. I can only imagine the scope of his struggle with HIV and wouldn’t think to further burden him with worries of my own. So in turn, I cannot provide you with information concerning his viral load or medication list: information that may have possibly assisted in an assessment of my situation.

And so here I am. Perhaps I might get some information to either validate or dismiss my fears, and provide possible suggestions as to what should be done in the opinion of people here, who seem to have a strong understanding of HIV in general. Hopefully I’ll get a few good responses.  :-\

Much thanks to everybody who has read this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Consumption of Blood
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:20:56 am »
You're worrying needlessly. HIV is a fragile virus and not easily transmitted even under hospitable conditions such as unprotected intercourse.

So in the setting you have described, which by the way is a very common one with different variations, transmission is theoretical. In the real world of HIV science it just doesn't happen that way. Even if you actually consumed some food or whatever which had HIV+ blood on it and should it have inlikely remained viable at that point, your own saliva contains something like a dozen elements in it which inhibit HIV.

I don't see any cause for concern nor for testing. I do recommend that you read our lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. Reading it should further relieve your concerns.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:26:15 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Foundry590

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:35:10 am »
Mr. Velez, much thanks for the prompt reply. I'm just reading some of the pages in the Lesson section and the information here is more extensive than anything I've ever come across. I'm still alarmed that more sites like this aren't well known.

I have in fact read about the qualities in saliva that enable it to disarm the HIV strain, so to speak. It's incredible to think that such a precarious virus is vulnerable to something as common as saliva. And if I hadn't had that bleeding canker in my mouth at the time I probably wouldn't be here now. It's the whole blood contact issue that has me concerned.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:55:24 am »
No need to worry this time as Andy said.  You are good to go.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Foundry590

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:16:53 pm »
Two replies that encourage me not to worry? Wow that certainly makes it easier to breathe about this.

This even takes my bleeding canker sore into consideration?

And in terms of the pages that list sores such as cankers and other cuts in the mouth and gastrointestinal tract as sufficient entry points for the virus should it ever be swallowed; these can be regarded as incorrect?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:29:33 pm »
I would have been a third.  Well...now I am the third to tell you not to worry.

I wouldn't say "incorrect"- just "theoretical".  You could in theory be walking along and suddenly die from a meteor that has fallen from space directly onto your head.  It could happen.  But how much fear of that do you carry around with you in your day to day life?  I'll wager not much. 

Like Andy said, those statements about potential this and potential that with cuts and abrasions and blah, blah, blah are exactly that: statements of theoretical possibility.  Not a real world cause for concern.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Foundry590

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:36:47 pm »
Much thanks! So you wouldn't recommend a blood test given my situation, either? Even with the bleeding canker?

I'm trying to compare this to your analogy of the meteor. Is it just so rare for HIV+ blood to touch an open sore that it's nothing that's ever been cause for concern? Or is it the size of the entry point that makes it something not worth worrying about?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:37:48 pm »
Yes, Even taking your canker sore into consideration this is still not something to worry about or test over.

As for the other pages and canker sores et al, theoretically they are possible transmission routes.  But in the real world it just doesnt happen that way.  So they are not "incorrect" but rather listing all possible entry points including the THEORETICAL ones.

Now before you venture into the "so it IS possible" realm of thinking.  Be aware that among the THEORETICAL possibilities are getting hit in the head by a meteor when you leave your house today, the sun exploding tomorrow, TIME TRAVEL, finding a winning lottery ticket worth 3 billion dollars in the trash, these are all theoretically possible.  But there is not one incident among them that has HAPPENED in real life.

And that is what we are saying to you.  HIV transmission does NOT happen the way you described IN REAL LIFE.

Do try and stop fretting needlessly over it.

Edited to add:  BLAST YOU THUNTER and your Meteor THEORY and your fast fingers!
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 12:41:42 pm »
Much thanks! So you wouldn't recommend a blood test given my situation, either? Even with the bleeding canker?

I'm trying to compare this to your analogy of the meteor. Is it just so rare for HIV+ blood to touch an open sore that it's nothing that's ever been cause for concern? Or is it the size of the entry point that makes it something not worth worrying about?

It is because of MANY factors.  Some of them are, the saliva in your mouth breaks down the virus, the virus is EXTREMELY fragile and difficult to transmit ANYWAY, the exposure of the virus to the air as well as the "condiments" and any adverse reactions those would have on it, the amount of virus present in what you ate, the amount of viable virus (after several seconds/minutes of exposure to DOZENS of substances that break it down) in contact with not only your canker sore but the specific receptors needed to ensure transmission..... I mean we are talking a 1 in 600 Bazillion or greater type chance going on here.

In the real world of HIV transmission it does NOT happen this way.

Edited to change Billion to Bazillion to emphasize my meaning.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:51:36 pm by ACinKC »
RIDE!!!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 12:48:33 pm »
Remember, bleeding is going OUT of your body, not sucking the virus IN. So blood then gets in contact with billions of molecules from saliva to gut that will destroy everything that shouldn't be there. Anal intercourse provides an easier way in because of the fluids that are pushed INTO the anal sore with no specific molecules around to kill what shouldn't be there.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Foundry590

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:56:11 pm »
Much thanks. I'm feeling real confident in the information you've given to me. Transmission just doesn't work that way. Hearing those words is so darn uplifting.

In terms of Anal sex; well that isn't exactly something I'm worried about at he moment.  ;D

I could yammer on for hours about how grateful I am for the time the above users have taken to teach me a thing or three about HIV; but it still wouldn't do my gratitude justice.

Many many thanks from my heart of hearts. What an outstanding site.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:01:06 pm »
You're welcome, It's what we are here for!

Good luck to you and your friend.

And just a side note to remind you to ALWAYS use condoms!
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.