Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hello everyone, I have a question because this anxiety is killing me  (Read 9271 times)

Offline lostthoughts

Hi everyone, first off i want to thank the people responsible for this forum because ive been looking through it a while and i wouldve been alot worse if it wasnt for this place.. Heres my situation. Ive been tested 4 times. I only had one unprotected encounter and i know it was very stupid and reckless of me. Ive been tested at 6 weeks after possible exposure. 10 weeks, 4 months and 6 months. Only the 6 week was done with a oraquick advance blood sample. The other 3 tests were done with oraquick advance oral swab. They were all negative. and these tests were all done at the clinic. My question is, are these oraquick rapid tests dependable? Can i move one with my life with these results? Do they test for every strain of HIV? and is there a possibility that all 4 tests missed something? or gave them a wrong reading or didnt pick up on antibodies? i dont do drugs, never have, i dont drink and i try to live a healthy life style. Please any advice, help or answer to these questions would help. I thought after the 6 month test i would feel better but the anxieties keep getting worse. i cant stop thinking about a possibility the tests werent accurate enough.. thank you

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hello everyone, I have a question because this anxiety is killing me
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:58:47 am »
You are conclusively negative and have way over tested.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:26:16 am »
You are reliably HIV negative. Period.

And you can avoid having to go through this kind of problem again by always using condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions. Do that and you will be well protected.
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:04:49 pm »
thank you both for your help. So the oraquick advance oral swab is enough? Is there any possibility that 4 tests coudlve missed something?  And yes i have learned my leason, the last 6 months have been the worse of my life because the anxiety is killing me. and im still dealing with it today

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:43:27 am »
I don't see any reason to doubt the reliability of your negative result.

Move on with your life and protect that negative status by always using condoms for intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:20:34 pm »
Thank you for your help, i wasnt questioning your guys or your knowledge about this subject. This whole experience has been very overwhelming and im still trying to get over it. i would always feel good for a few weeks after each test but then the anxiety and worries would just get over and over. I dont want to even test anymore because i feel its just building up more anxiety. But thank you for the time you took to respond to my post

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »
Well all the conflicting forces within each of us can stir up that anxiety. But you are worrying needlessly about HIV so that anxiety is really a separate issue.

And you're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 08:39:21 pm »
And as far as the oraquick advance oral test itself, does it test for all strains of HIV?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »
Yes..

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »
RapidRod and Andy, thank  you so much for your time. I really do appreciate the fact that you guys take time to help others out. I know i might be over reacting, but apparently i see that i have an anxiety disorder. Always kinda knew but this just brought it out more. I just wanted help and some clarifications and you guys did that for me, I mean no disrespect to people who do live with the Virus.Thank you once again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24:11 am »
OK. Get on with your life. HIV is not your problem.
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »
has there been any incidents where the oraquick oral swab missed an infection past the window period? or gave false negatives past the window period. i know i took 4 tests, i dont know why its so hard for me to accept a good result. im loosing my mind over this. im just worried the oral test wasnt enough to pick it up.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:31:35 am »
Lost,

If you do not trust the oral swab tests, the answer is simple. Go get a blood test done. Don't be surprised when you get another negative result.

You do not have hiv.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
im sorry. i cant take more daygo back to the clinic. just wanted to know of how reliable these oraquick tests are

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 10:17:39 am »
Oraquick is an approved and reliable test.

Cut out the drama and get on with your life. You're on the verge of Time Out here so consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:09 pm »
i apologize once again, and thank you all for your responses

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »
ok. Onward.
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:20 pm »
Just one more question. I'm not questioning my status. The question is, is it possible to catch aids without getti g HIV first? Let's say one person has aids, and they have sex with some one who is not infected. If that persong gets infected do they get aids because his partner has aids or does he get HIV? Thank you

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 01:36:19 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:19 am »
Lost,

Aids is caused by hiv, so a person will always have hiv first and may never progress to aids, thanks to regular, routine testing and today's meds.

You do NOT have hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

If you continue to post about this, you WILL be given that time out you've been warned about.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lostthoughts

Will Lexapro affect the results of an Hiv test?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »
Im just wondering if taking lexapro which is a anti depressant will affect the results on a hiv test, like give it a false negative or false positive 

Offline lostthoughts

Re: Will Lexapro affect the results of an Hiv test?
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 07:01:54 pm »
i forgot to add that will it affect a rapid test like a oraquick oral swab test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Will Lexapro affect the results of an Hiv test?
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 07:29:28 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please follow the rule of the site, as stated in the opening thread, to keep all entries in the same thread.

As to your latest question, no, that medication  will not affect the results of any of the tests.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:32:01 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »
ok, thank you very much andy

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »
I have another question if i may, I am over my situation already, This is just out of curiosity because this scenario doesnt apply to my situation. but i couldnt find a direct answer anywhere.. Can hiv be transmitted through frottage? Lets say penis to vagina with no penatration but penis head gets wet with vaginal fluids. And can it be transmitted from rubbing penis on penis mostly shaft but penis head does touch once in a while and possible get some precum on each others penis?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:55 pm »
HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child.

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44:18 pm »
so if rubbing a penis on penis and penis on vagina it wont be transmitted even if theres precum or vaginal fluid on each other

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:08 pm »
Reread how HIV is transmitted. Do you see rubbing? No, then it isn't a risk.

Offline lostthoughts

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »
Ok, thank you for your clarification

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 05:24:51 am »
Lost,

You could not have looked for answers very hard - this forum is full of questions regarding frottage. Next time, use the site search engine that appears in the left-hand column of any forum page.

And just in case you didn't get it, frottage is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.