Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 3 NEW DRUGS FOR HIV  (Read 13142 times)

Offline bear60

3 NEW DRUGS FOR HIV
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:32 pm »
Well ...looks like we are about to get some of the long awaited drugs which offer hope to those of us who have  become or are becoming resistant to the current batch of HIV drugs.  I do not know much about these drugs but since I did not find anything about this posted here I thought it would be a good idea to post.
The article was ( are you ready) in the BUSINESS section of the Sunday Inquirer.  I am not going to bore everyone so here is the salient part:
"Getting the new HIV drugs:
All three HIV drugs may be available through expanded access programs. But patients must show they cant use existing drugs.
1. Isentress: 1-800-327-6751 or go to http://www.earmrk.com/
    ..this drug inhibits the integrase enzyme which is critical for the replication of the HIV
2. Celcentri:  1-800-275-4488 or go to http://maraviroceap.com/
     ..this drug binds with a receptor on the white blood cells and prevents  HIV from entering the cell in that way
3. Etravirine: 1-866- 889-2074 or email to TMC125EAP@i3research.com
(Etravirine is an NNRTI but shows some promise for reaching undetectable where other NNRTI's fail)"

Note: the article said that 2/3 of the resistant patients in the Isentress study went to undetectable viral levels

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:10:12 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: 3 NEW DRUGS FOR HIV
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:59:01 pm »
I'm switching from fuzeon to Isentress as soon as it is approved in a few months.  All of these have been discussed in previous threads, albeit in their pre-market names (MK-0518, maraviroc, TMC-125 etc.) and are listed in AIDSmeds under "Drugs" in the upper left corner.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:08:39 pm »
Thats great David, I wish you the best with trhe switch. Thanks for the update.  I didnt recognize these drugs.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 04:09:41 pm »
Oh, and I'm reading an article in the Philadelphia paper (is that where you read this?) and they mention my HIV doctor in it!

click for article

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:12:27 pm »
Yes thats the article. It was in the Sunday July 14th Philadelphia Inquirer. Good pics too.

Offline J220

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:20:59 pm »
Here's a related topic on this forum from a few weeks ago. These are all fantastic news, and yet more reasons to be hopeful about the future. J.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=12874.0
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:25:43 pm »
Yes, it's fantastic news for those of us who have tapped out all the other meds.  It's not particularly great for newly diagnosed individuals.  None of these will be first line treatments.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:43:20 pm »
None of these will be first line treatments.

I dunno about that.  Given that the treatment naive tend to have the R5 variant of HIV, and the treatment experienced tend to have X4 or dual tropic virus, I imagine that the CCR5 inhibitors will find a place in  first line therapy as time goes on.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 05:46:45 pm »
I was not meaning to say that they'd NEVER be first line treatments, obviously one can't predict that.  I would have used the word "ever" if I'd meant that.

It was more a general cautionary statement for people unfamiliar with these HIV medications saying "Oh!  Three new drugs omgomgomg we are saved!"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:48:21 pm by philly267 »

Offline Positive Living

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:25 pm »
That's me in the article.     
(And on the additional picture links, that's me with my husband, Colin.)

I'm taking Fuzeon, Isentress & Truvada.  After 17 years of HIV treatement, my viral load finally went to undetectable.   It's never done that before.  CD4's doubed to 440 within two months. 

Beyond the usual Fuzeon side effects, I have insomnia, which is cured by Ambien CR.  The first month I also had severe headaches that got worse as the day went on.  Those went away with time.  If it weren't for the Fuzeon, this would be a VERY easy combo to take.  Well, Fuzeon is easy enough, just time consuming!

Any questions?  Feel free to email me at PositiveLiving@aol.com.   I don't check these boards often enough to reply to any questions you may post here.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 06:19:18 pm »

Bear, Philly, thanks for the article and the links!! Very good article !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 06:21:32 am »
My numbers have been all over the place and I am going onto Raltegrevir (Isentress) from next week.

I have been on Prezista, Abacavir, Emtriva  and Ritonavir for about the past 6 months and my numbers have gone backwards instead of improving.

It will be interesting to see if the new drug can lower my VL and raise the CD4's to where they should be
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline J220

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 10:46:45 am »
Good luck with the Isenstress Scud, and please do keep us posted on how it goes, as we are all anxioulsly waiting to see how well it works. Hopefully you will have excellent results and drop down to undetectable! J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 11:53:08 am »
I can't wait to get off Fuzeon and on Isentress in October (assuming that is still the target date for FDA approval).  I've been a rather vocal propenent of Fuzeon on Aidsmeds, but I'm getting tapped out with it.  In the last 3 months my injections have become more troublesome, whereas previously compared to most people they were very tolerable.

Push come to shove I can deal with my increased injection site reactions, but with Isentress coming out there simply is no reason to continue with it.    Numerically speaking my labs are beyond perfect so it will be fascinating to see how high they remain after switching.

Right now I just hope the wait is not longer than anticipated.  First I was told September, then read October... I'm sure that means 10/31 or something so basically November.  Then it has to be approved on insurance and ADAP formularies.  So basically another three months... which is way tired because it was "3 months" until approval 2 months ago at my last doctor's visit.

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 02:10:34 pm »
Yes, it's fantastic news for those of us who have tapped out all the other meds.  It's not particularly great for newly diagnosed individuals.  None of these will be first line treatments.

Well, given the zero probability of a cure for HIV infection in the short and medium run, i would say that this is great news for newly diagnosed individuals too, cause, short of a cure for HIV in the foreseeable future, all of the recent infected will inexorably become treatment experienced patients over time.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 02:11:47 pm »
Quote from: philly267
Quote from: philly267 on July 16, 2007, 05:25:43 PM

Well, given the zero probability of a cure for HIV infection in the short and medium run, i would say that this is great news for newly diagnosed individuals too, cause, short of a cure for HIV in the foreseeable future, all of the recent infected will inexorably become treatment experienced patients over time.

If it was not clear, though I think it was, I obviously meant "short term"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 01:45:49 pm »
There was an updated story on Bloomberg today in regards to FDA & Isentress

Studies by Merck show the medicine reduces HIV in the blood of patients with resistant forms of the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, staff of the Food and Drug Administration said in documents posted today on the agency's Web site. A panel of expert advisers to the FDA will meet Sept. 5 to recommend whether Isentress should be cleared for sale.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ad60hUcf11Vk&refer=news

Offline JamieD

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 01:48:51 pm »
I am actually going to be taking part in a clinical trial of Isentress (if that's what it's marketed as in the US). It will be a cross over trial, in which 1/2 get placebo and 1/2 get active drug, inititally, and then those two groups switch. It'll be a 24 week study. You have to have had your viral load undetectable for 6+ months, and by the time the study takes place mine will have been.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 02:16:02 pm »
There was an updated story on Bloomberg today in regards to FDA & Isentress

Studies by Merck show the medicine reduces HIV in the blood of patients with resistant forms of the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, staff of the Food and Drug Administration said in documents posted today on the agency's Web site. A panel of expert advisers to the FDA will meet Sept. 5 to recommend whether Isentress should be cleared for sale.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ad60hUcf11Vk&refer=news

Oh thanks, I actually googled yesterday when I posted to see if there had been any updates but I see this article just appeared today.  Maybe I'll actually be taking this in October -- hope so.

I feel so "cutting edge" getting to try everything that's new.  I snagged my Prezista while it was in Phase 3 trials.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.