Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:28:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Back Surgery < 24 Hours--wish me luck  (Read 20991 times)

Offline Christine

Re: Back Surgery < 24 Hours--wish me luck
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 11:52:18 am »
Hi Rab,
Good to hear you are well, and recovering at home. Remember pain pills can be our friends! :)

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 03:39:54 pm »
WOW RAB!

That was quick! I'm so glad you were able to go home so soon after the op. I hope Damned Fool is waiting on you hand and foot and if he ain't, just let me know. I've got my whip ready to go! ;D

I hope things keep going on this fantastic upward trajectory for you. Still sending the good stuff your way - with extra for Damned Fool to make sure he's got the energy to keep up with you.  :-*

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:23 am »
Morning Everyone

So the surgery went well, and I got to come home Tuesday.  Other than the 3 hour delay before the surgery started the hospital stay was pretty uneventful and I got really good care.

Unfortunately something went wrong Tuesday night.  Before they would agree to let me leave the hospital, they wanted to make sure I could adequately control the pain using oral medication vs the Morphine. 

I was given two doses of 15 mg or Oxycodone in the hospital and nothing bad happened.  The last dose was given at 2:00 p.m. when I was discharged. 

Tuesday night, at 8:00 p.m. I took the next dose of 10 mg of Oxycodone, at approximately 10:00 p.m. I woke up having what now appears to have been an allergic reaction.  (Although it seem strange to me the reaction didn't happen right away when they gave me the higher dose in the hopsital.)

I was itching all over, my body was flushed, I had chronic hiccups (though that may have been the anesthesia), and I had a horrible rash in my groin and upper legs.  I was groggy but had a racing mind, which was causing insomnia.

Yesterday was pretty much a blur, cause I had to stop the pain medication until I could get some further instruction from the surgeon. Who unfortunately was in surgery all day and unavailable.

Finally, I called my regular doctor who suggested pre-treating with Benadryl and maybe switching from the Oxycodone back to the Vicodin (which has oxycodone in it but is somehow more tolerable)

I did that last night, only taking equivalent of 5 mg of Oxycodone (in the Vicodin) and again at 4:00 a.m. this morning.  The flush is gone, the itch is nearly gone, the rash will take time.  Unfortunately the dosage is not adequate enough to control the pain.  So I'll have to try and get some different advice today.

But it is much better than taking nothing.

Thanks everyone for you well wishes here, in the pm s, calls, and emails. 

My intuition is telling me that once I can get through this post surgical pain (which is clearly different than what I was dealing with before) I feel it will become clear that this was really the right choice.

With deep appreciation,

RAB

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 10:50:39 am »
RAB sweetie, sorry to hear you went and got yourself all itchy! I sure hope you get some better pain control and soon. Have you tried dihydrocodeine? That's pretty much just codeine without all the extra stuff they put in the others.

At least you didn't have to go back to the hospital. Fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes all duly crossed that you get sorted out properly.

Hang in there mate!  :-*

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 12:04:59 pm »
Hang in there Rocky, things will soon be better. Just don't over do it.

Rodney

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2007, 08:05:45 pm »
Try not to worry, know its frustrating and difficult right now, hope it sorts itself out soon.
Take care of yourself
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 08:21:07 pm »
sorry to hear about the reaction, hopefully it will all clear up~
relax as much as you can and don't do anything foolish ::)!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline et in arcadia ego

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2007, 12:35:32 pm »
Rocky,

Nice to hear from you post-surgery. Hope your recovery goes as well as mine has.

Interesting....certain pain medication  makes me itch like hell, too. I never tell the doc for fear he won't give me any more of it!

Offline Nadine

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2007, 03:22:36 pm »
I spoke to RAB yesterday...I think he was stoned!  :D :D

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2007, 04:45:54 pm »
Get well soon :) Thanks for giving us courage to do what we have to do for health, no matter how tough the road

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2007, 05:05:42 pm »
Glad to hear you're safely back home, Rab. Mend well!

Andy Velez

Offline Teresa

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2007, 06:18:55 pm »

Sending good thoughts and prayers for your speedy recovery!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2007, 08:12:22 pm »
Hello Everyone:   ;D  X about 100 million

I can't believe how much better I am feeling.

Actually, what I can't believe is how long I let this problem go on.  Now that I am  through the worst part of the post-surgical pain (more on that in a minute), I realize just what an impact the "other" pain was taking on me. 

I am happy to report that that "other pain" (the electrical shock/needles like pain that was radiating into my hip, around to my groin, and down my left leg   >:() is completely gone.  POOF  GONE! 

I feel like a new man.  I literally do.   :D 

I'm sort of giddy!  Almost afraid to mention it, for fear that I might jinx myself.  But trust me, I'm  just about as happy as a hooker at a right wing christian convention. 

I'm going to be honest though, the pain from the surgery hurt!  (How Steven and Ernie [RazorBill] dealt with it amazes me.  Their surgeries were much different/complicated than what I had done)  The hardest part was/is being patient and not over doing it.  That and using pain medication (Percocet) before the pain became unbearable went against my nature.  But that is what got me through the past two weeks.  By last Thursday I could tell things were rapidly improving.  The swelling is nearly gone by today.  The post-surgical pain is pretty much gone (now it's just kind of tender).   Dealing with the short lived post-surgical pain is much better than dealing with that "other" pain.  That pain wouldn't go away.  The pain from the surgery is nearly gone.  I'm not needing any pain medication what-so-ever.  (No more reports of me sounding "stoned".  Course I do have some left over!   ::) He He He )

I'm so glad I did this.  I can't tell you.

Lord do I feel better.  It's amazing.

RAB

Offline Basquo

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2007, 08:16:58 pm »
I'm so glad you've had such an improvement in the (former) pain; you are my favorite cat-hearder! ;D

Hugs,
Creighton

Offline fearless

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2007, 08:37:49 pm »
Actually, what I can't believe is how long I let this problem go on.  Now that I am  through the worst part of the post-surgical pain (more on that in a minute), I realize just what an impact the "other" pain was taking on me. 

I'm so glad I did this.  I can't tell you.

Lord do I feel better.  It's amazing.

RAB

Now, didn't I tell you so RAB. I bet you look 10 years younger too without the strain from the pain being visible in your face.
Hope you are being looked after in the manner you deserve. Just make sure you check the washing machine before you know who turns everything pink again.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »
I'm so glad I read this!  It made my whole day.....

So happy to hear your pain is over, honey.   You're gonna be dangerous now...

;)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2007, 09:02:19 pm »
Rab, I want to apologize to you for not asking how you were doing when you called yesterday. Yes, we are considering what we discussed with you last evening. We'll see if we can pull it off.  ;) I'm glad you are doing better. Won't be long and you can put on those red pumps and walk the streets.  ;)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2007, 12:31:55 am »
:D :D Still laughing at that first sentence in your thread opener. :D :D Very happy for you! Experience makes us "rich"

Offline Robert

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2007, 12:50:31 am »
rab.

I just  can't imagine the pain.  It must be godawful.  I'm so happy you're feeling better.  That makes me feel better.

robert

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2007, 07:23:16 am »
Hello Rab,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that everything is going much better for you. Keep it going !!

Take care of yourself--------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Nadine

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2007, 07:45:51 am »
Great news!  

I'm so happy that the surgery worked out well!

Take good care of yourself...with any luck, Rodney & I will see you in SF...he may have to get me stoned first, whatever it takes!  :D

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Offline Jody

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2007, 09:31:14 pm »
Dearest Rab...Great to hear everything is going so well...Don't kick yourself for waiting - you were uncertain about surgery- we all would be after all...The pain is gone and as I said don't kick yourself - save that for me in San Francisco!!!

Jody  ;D
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2007, 08:01:43 pm »
I'm so glad it worked out
Heres to feeling no pain....
(raises v.large glass) ;D
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.