Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:25:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 222
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 6959 times)

Offline Nadine

Gas prices
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:44:29 am »
I bought gas for 2.25 per gallon yesterday...how can they justify it ever being $3 per gallon when it can drop 75 cents in 2 weeks?  ???

Offline Biggums

Re: Gas prices
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:20:47 am »
quite simply.........they can't!
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:48:10 am »
Doesn't make sense does it?  ???  We saw it for $2.15 yesterday but we had a full tank in the Mini. The lower prices are sure nice for long road trips!

Offline Nadine

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:06:02 am »
The lower prices are sure nice for long road trips!
That's exactly what I was thinking Jeff...did you know I have a road trip coming up? LOL
11 days now until I leave  ;D 13 days until I'm making lasagna for you!  ;)

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:31:54 am »
That's exactly what I was thinking Jeff...did you know I have a road trip coming up? LOL
11 days now until I leave  ;D 13 days until I'm making lasagna for you!  ;)

Is that so?? LOL!  I guess great minds think alike  :)     You be careful.    My stomach is growling for your lasagna already.  :)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 09:50:02 am »
The oil traders are very nervous individuals.  The market overreacts to any information (shut-down of a pipeline or a refinery, a hurricane, a political/ethnic conflic in the middle east or Africa, etc..).  This drives prices up, as people irrationally believe that oil inventory (supply) will drop.  Once people realize that this isn't going to happen, the prices drop fairly quickly.  Trading usually brings more stability to commodity pricing, but not anymore.  People jump from one crisis to another and that drives up (then down) the price of oil.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 10:41:16 am »
How 'bout a scared shitless Republican majority manipulating the public and prices...lower gas prices equal Republican votes.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 11:03:02 am »
I gotta agree with Dachshund on this one.

Though I think it's more like republican execs of the oil companies scared shitless the dems are gonna get control of congress.

Prices will rebound after the election, I'm sure.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 11:38:00 am »
Hello Nadine,

It's crazy isn't it ?  >:( The cheapest gas in our area is 2.34/ Gallon. It's getting close to election time, the fools in power got to try something. Just a month ago , we were reading how the closing of the BP gas line in Alaska, was going to make gas skyrocket....What happened. I also agree, after the election, lets see what happens to the gas prices.

The Best------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 01:06:07 pm »
Nadine, I was an oil and gas trader/broker for 25 years. Cliff described the situation pretty good, but let me add a few things. Labor day is the end of driving season. If you are "long" motor gas you are very nervous. You would usually be selling before labor day in anticipation of lower demand from driving but this year we have had terror,iran,and lebanon putting an extra premium and floor on the market. If you are a trader,you dont wanna be short over any weekend cause you dont know what the whackos are gonna do. Notice almost every friday in july and august, the president of Iran would make some crazy threat and our moronic media would run with it. This is also the time of year refineries start switching over to making heating oil. 
There are also many traders very short motor gas and unlike the stock market a "short" in oil and gas can't play games he has to make good in the month it is due or trade his way out,either way some one has to come up with the product.  The world tensions I mentioned above create an almost constant "short squeeze" on motor gas creating an extremely volatile market.
Another reason for high oil and gas price,you dont hear anyone talking about, is the weak us dollar. The people who sell us oil(opec) are paid dollars. If the interest rate on dollars is very low or supply of dollars in increased(inflation),opec is getting screwed. We screwed them good for several years giving them paper paying 1% interest in return for oil.
As interest rates rise and price kills demand we will see a correction, and I think it will be substantial.
The US oil companies do not control the price of motor oil or crude oil.
The inability because of federal restriction to build new refineries(hasnt been a new US refinery built in 20 years) and environmental regs have caused most of the motor gas shortage.

Offline randym431

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 02:22:45 pm »
How 'bout a scared shitless Republican majority manipulating the public and prices...lower gas prices equal Republican votes.

Sounds like the plan to me too

So whats really terrifying, what happens AFTERWARDS if the little plan works for them???
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 02:53:11 pm by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline jack

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 02:45:47 pm »
The media made the big deal about the Alaskan pipeline,not the oil business. The same media that is constantly telling us that we get very little oil from Alaska. And now after inspection it appears the pipe will be back  up to 100% by year end.
another thing that happened last week that helped push oil down was the first discovery of oil in the gulf of Mexico. it will be years before it will come to market but it influences todays prices. Go figure. The market is 60% emotion right now.
If any of you think that the oil companies get together and fix prices,you are nuts. They all hate each other. They are competitors. There is too much price transparency and too many players for any US company to have control over prices.
Its a real shame that the media and some in Congress play this oil company card. For some reason they always find  a US corp as the bogeyman and use it to buy votes or influence the ignorant and uneducated in our society. Opec and the marketplace determines the p rice at the pump.

Offline randym431

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 02:56:56 pm »
If any of you think that the oil companies get together and fix prices,you are nuts. They all hate each other

Ok... Then WHY is a box of tide $6.88 at Wal-Mart AND... Target???

(just teasing & giving you a hard time    ;D  )
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 03:11:02 pm »
Oh those poor misunderstood corporations...maybe the mean ol' Congress should give them some tax breaks...or off-shore accounts to hide their assets...how in the world can an oil exec exist on his salary? It's a shame big business has no one to turn to in the halls of Congress.

You really do have to feel bad for the way big business is treated.

Please sir...may I have some more?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 03:13:10 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Nadine

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 07:43:32 am »

That's exactly what my husband was saying. We can only hope their plan backfires.

Offline jack

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 08:34:53 am »
Please tell me you guys are joking. Maybe those people on "jay walking" are real. Anyone who thinks or believes that any US company can control the price of oil is beyond hope. The oil marketplace is made of up of hundreds of companies, just not possible. Anyone who believes any politician who is telling you that the US oil companies are involved in some scheme to rob us is being duped. Half of these companies won't even talk to each other. How do I know? I worked for several, and started a business that made money because these guys won't talk to each other.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 08:51:45 am »
I guess that is why when hauled before the Senate to testify about oil prices those poor ol' oil execs were not required to testify under oath.

I don't know how these guys are able to manage on record breaking profits.

Man it must really suck to be a CEO these days...especially with someone like Jake taking advantage of you.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 04:15:12 pm »
I blame George Bush.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Biggums

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 11:03:31 pm »
I just went to buy some groceries.  I usually get about the same thing each week.  But for some reason, my bill this week was like 7 dollars higher than usual.  Do I blame George Bush?  Congress?  Shop  N Save?  Food speculators?  Little Debbie?  I'm confused.
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 11:27:36 pm »
All I know, is that I am awaiting the lowest nadir on the curve to call my local fuel oil company to prep my tank for the upcoming winter. Thankfully I'm  only in need of about a hundred gallons to top it off.
We haven't reached the prices some of you have reported, but have dropped from 3.00$ to about 2.59 so far....I'm holding out for the right moment.
Do I sound lke an oil trader, or what.........? :P
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 11:39:30 pm »
Hello ,

I posted this before, I will post it again... The following link will give you the prices of gas in your area. Just click on your state, then your city/area. I think it's a great site, and it will show you the least expensive gas in your area. After all, we have to save a buck here and there.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.