Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:37:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 53883 times)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Re: Recipes
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2008, 05:57:30 pm »
This is my step son's favorite dish. I dont always use all 12 tortillas called for in the recipe.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
4-5 single chicken breasts
celery salt
onion flakes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup diced white onion
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
12 corn tortillas
8 ounces grated cheddar and monterrey jack cheese

Directions:
Season chicken breasts with celery salt and onion flakes. Wrap in foil and bake at 325 F for 1 hour.
Cut chicken into bite size pieces, reserving the liquid in the foil.
Add soups, sour cream, reserved liquid, onion, and jalapeno to chicken and mix.
Tear tortillas into bite sized pieces.
Layer tortillas, chicken mixture and cheeses in two layers ending with cheese.
Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves about 4

Offline 404error

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2008, 06:16:53 pm »
Olive Garden Spaghetti Sauce

1lb ground beef
1 jar of Prego Original Sauce
1/2 pkg of Liptons Onion Soup Mix
1/4 cup V8 juice
2tbsp Grape Jelly

Saute beef, add grape jelly once browned.  Add sauce, juice an soup mix.  Let simmer for at least 30 mins. 
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline vivyt

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2008, 09:23:36 pm »
Ingredients:

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Condensed Southwest Style Pepper Jack Soup
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions:
MIX 1/2 can soup, beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion and garlic powder thoroughly.
Shape firmly into 8"x4" loaf in baking pan.
BAKE at 350°F. 30 min.
SPOON remaining soup over meatloaf. Bake 30 min. more or until done.

I tried this recipe tonight. I used ground turkey instead of beef. I also could not find the soup the recipe said so I substituted it with "Fiesta Nacho Cheese" It turned out really good.   :)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2008, 10:03:17 pm »
This is actually something I literally threw together trying to make something different.  It turned out really well and it was devoured!  I'm going to omit the chicken next time and just use it as a side dish.  With the chicken, just add a veggie and it's a full meal.

Ingredients:
3 boneless / skinless chicken breasts
1 package of no-yolks wide egg noodles
1 can Cream of Chicken soup (low fat works fine)
1/3 cup of milk (I used 1%)
1/2 stick of margarine
onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to taste

Boil the chicken breasts until done.  Remove the chicken and cut into bite-sized cubes.  Boil the noodles in the same water as the chicken breasts, adding water if needed.  Drain noodles and return to pot.  Add cream of chicken soup, milk, margarine, and seasonings to the noodles.  Stir until well mixed.  Add chicken to the noodles.  Stir.  Serve hot.

If using as a side dish and omitting the chicken, I boil the noodles in water with a dissoloved chicken bouillon cube.

Happy Eating!
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2008, 11:50:55 pm »
LEFT OVERS

Grilled melted sharp cheddar on thinly sliced left over roast beef, Wavey Lays and a glass of apricot juice... and a selection of fresh fruit.  Dinnerware by iittala.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline vivyt

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2008, 10:24:21 pm »
No more recipes?  :( This thread was awakening my inner chef...LOL

Offline minismom

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:13 pm »
Tell me about it, Vyv, I've got a trip to the grocery store scheduled for tomorrow and i've made everything here (some things twice).  Hubby even told me to come on and see what else I can make.  Ok, I'm thinking of a recipe to revive it...hang on.

Ok, hubby helped and here goes:

Egg Sausage Souflee (not low fat, but it makes a lot)

6 - 10 pieces of bread, toasted and torn into quarters
8 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of milk
1cup cheddar cheese
1 lb ground sausage (turkey sausage works great), cooked and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Line the bottom of a cassarole dish, or 9x12 inch baking pan with toasted bread pieces.  Sprinkle about 1/3 of the sausage and 1/3 of the cheese.  Continue to layer in that order, ending with the cheese.  Mix the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a seperate bowl until well mixed.  Pour egg custard over the cassarole.  Bake 350 degrees, uncovered, for 45 minutes to 1 hr or until eggs are set.  This is better if refrigerated overnight before baking.  Microwave leftovers are really good!

Happy Cooking!
Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:45 pm »
My next project is my phenomenal 40-garlic cloves Roasted Free Range Chicken, a modified version of a duck recipe from the seminal late 70's classic Silver Palate Cookbook.

Stay tuned.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2008, 09:42:43 am »
Wow, David.  You sound like quite the gourmet chef.  So when I move to your city and we have our sleep-overs with facials, I'll expect a really good meal also. ;)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2008, 10:55:30 am »
But of course!

I can be quite the lazy cook for sure.  I've been trying to get back in my old groove by doing more ambitious cooking projects.  I started rather elaborate cooking exercises at a very young age.  I was trussing poultry with butcher twine at the age of 14... my mother gagged.  She now calls me up for kitchen advice :)

It's all part of the inner gay gene.

btw: the concept behind that dish is that by slow roasting the 40 cloves of garlic it imparts a mellow sweetness to them.  Then they're forced through a food mill, puréed, and then mixed with sherry vinegar and crème de cassis.  After that you slowly whisk, one by one, 10 pieces of chilled butter (it's a whole stick *sigh* fattening!) and the result is the most amazing sauce in the world.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:01:55 am by philly267 »

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2008, 11:03:02 am »
That last one by  philly267 puts my lazy a$$ to shame.

Yesterday i sliced sourdough bread thin, butter garlic then under the broiler.
top with this great deli ham and a Kroger brand of pepper jack cheese. (comes in a box like Velveeta)
back under the broiler. quick and easy.

Today i boiled up chicken breast for my salads for work.
made 9 choc. chip muffins, and a dozen raspberry muffins.
last but not least i am making country ribs with sourkraut and dumplings, going to be a huge pot so i will freeze some for lunches and a big bowl for my sister when she comes to town.
 ( she made me promise to save her some)
The dumpling are a pain in the butt, and take a long time to do but well worth the effort.
the dish is best after 2 to 3 days in the fridge, but i will take my time and simmer the hell out of it.
Never rush soups or the like, sooo much better after simmering all day long ;)
now i need a loaf of deli bread to go with it, as the sour dough was gone in a heart beat yesterday.
i did see a loaf of french at the market yesterday, unsliced, hard on the outside perfect to dip in this dish.
hmmm and i didn't want to go out today oh well.

Lucas

Offline minismom

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2008, 04:40:54 pm »
And the pain in the neck but well worth it dumpling recipe would be....???
www.watoto.com

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2008, 08:23:16 pm »
And the pain in the neck but well worth it dumpling recipe would be....???

3 eggs to two cups of flour. then just enough water so its not dry.
i did 6 eggs and 4 cups of flour.
have to drop them in boiling water. one third of a teaspoon as they swell up and float. when they float pull them out and put them into your meal.
i change the water as soon as it gets cloudy so you don't get a bunch of starch in your meal.

The pot i made was beyond huge , i have two Tupperware in the freezer and a large one in the fridge. for dinner and snacks tomorrow.
Before i started cooking today i took a shower, shaved and put on some old spice.
put on a polo shirt and my "flannel" pants . I hope mum is proud of old Lucas. ;)

Nadine ate too much, and is suffering the side effects. glad we have two bathrooms ;D

Lucas

Offline minismom

« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2008, 08:30:57 pm »
Oh, yummy!  That would go good with my chicken I'll put in the crock pot tomorrow.  Do you use all purpose flour, wheat flour, or self-rising flour?  You put dumplings IN your BBQ?  That also sounds very good.  I'm a BBQ hound!

I'm so sorry Nadine is suffering but at least it's for a good reason ;)

And, I must say, Master Lucas, I'm very proud of you.  A good meal served by a handsome, sweet smelling, debanair hunk...I'm sure food isn't the only thing that Nadine filled up on ;)

Mum - who is quite comfy in her satin animal print PJ's, tan slippers, and newly shaved legs
www.watoto.com

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2008, 08:48:02 pm »
Nadine was working so it was buddy me and the cats.
buddy thought i was making a fashion statement. ??? ??? ???
( did not have flannel socks to go with the flannel pants like mum does)

Just all purpose flour mum, and if the eggs are not huge you may want to add one or two more.

Lucas

Offline minismom

« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2008, 10:19:30 pm »
 This is a salad that my non-salad eaters will ask for me to fix.

Romaine Salad

Dressing: 1 cup canola oil
             1/2 cup minced onion
             1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
             3/4 cup sugar OR 3/4 cup Splenda + 2 TBSP sugar
Mix and chill.  Better if allowed to blend overnight.

Serve with:
            Chopped Romaine lettuce
            craisins
            chopped walnuts
            sliced strawberries
Mix lettuce ingredients.  Toss in dressing just before serving.

If using as a meal, add precooked, sliced chicken breast or chicken strips.

Happy Eating!
Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2008, 10:26:19 am »
The very best fat-free fried potatoes EVER!

Potatoes
Fat-free Italian dressing
Parmesean cheese

Wash the potatoes and prick them several times with a fork.  Place them on a papertowel in the microwave.  Microwave them on high for 5 - 8 minutes or until a fork inserted in the middle goes through.  Some potatoes may be done before others.  Place the cooked potatoes in the refrigerator until they are completely cooled (cold).  This makes them slice prettier.  Peel the potatoes, if desired, and cut into 1/8 inch slices (or thicker). 

In a skillet, put just enough fat-free italian dressing to cover the bottom.  Heat until bubbling.  Place the potato slices in the dressing and cook until crispy.  Turn and cook on the other side until crispy.  Remove and sprinkle with parmesean cheese.

These taste like super greasy, fat-full fried potatoes.  Not only are they fat-free, but they are WONDERFUL for any meal of the day.

Happy eating!
Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Nadine

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2008, 10:50:07 am »
The very best fat-free fried potatoes EVER!

This recipe sounds soooo good...Thanks Mum...I will be trying these!

Offline bear60

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2008, 01:05:13 pm »
Holy cow Mum.  You discovered my secret! lol  Well, that Italian dressing is good with a lot of things.  ( My favorite is Good Seasons ..Italian ...that you mix up with oil and vinegar.)
We do a flank steak on the grill that marinates in it.  And the potatoes to go with the steak are first quartered (or more if they are large) and put in a foil pouch then drizzled with Italian Dressing and the pouch sealed. They go on the grill for 30 minutes or so..... you have to experiment with time. Its best to start them on the lower grill then move them to the higher rack so they dont burn.  Its warm enought to grill here today!!
Oh and I love chicken baked with this Italian dressing poured over it before cooking. It just goes in the oven for an hour.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2008, 01:59:48 pm »
Tonight it's grilled porterhouse, baked potato w/sour cream and caesar salad.

I've still not done my roast chicken due to lack of Crème de cassis, though I have a liquor store only 4 blocks away.  I guess I've not been particularly inspired this week :(

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2008, 05:26:36 pm »
Wow, David.  Your dinners never cease to amaze me. 

Mum, I will be trying out those potatoes also!  Yummm.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »
I like the idea of the potatoes. I'm going to have to try that. I have baked them with italian dressing before.

Tonight was butterfly chops seared and baked with onion and mushrooms, baked sweet potato and steamed asparagus.

Offline vivyt

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2008, 10:27:22 am »
Anything having to do with potatoes and I am there!

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2008, 12:12:35 pm »
I enjoyed this thread so I'm bumping it with two yummy recipes.

Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
SERVES 2

2    boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
4    ounces linguine, cooked al dente
2    teaspoons cajun seasoning
2    tablespoons butter
1    thinly sliced green onion
1-2    cup heavy whipping cream
2    tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/4    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon dried basil
1/8    teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8    teaspoon garlic powder
1/4    cup grated parmesan cheese

1. Place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and toss to coat.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken in butter or margarine until chicken is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Reduce heat add green onion, heavy cream, tomatoes, basil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and heat through.
4. Pour over hot linguine and toss,with Parmesan cheese.

Bourbon Chicken Recipe
SERVES 4

1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Remove chicken.
4. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium Heat until well mixed and dissolved.
5. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.

2    lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1-2    tablespoon olive oil
1    garlic clove, crushed
1/4    teaspoon ginger
3/4    teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4    cup apple juice
1/3    cup light brown sugar
2    tablespoons ketchup
1    tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2    cup water
1/3    cup soy sauce

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2008, 06:22:39 pm »
I havent made the bourbon chicken but I just made the sauce for the creamy cajun chicken pasta.

I modified the ingredients. I didn't add salt. I used fresh basil but a smidge less than called for in the ingredients. I used 1 tsp fresh garlic crushed then diced finely instead of the powder and I added 2 tbsp of cream cheese. I used two green onions instead of one.
and I made penne pasta instead of linguine.

After I cooked the chicken I wiped out the darker chicken bits with a paper towel and later added another tsp of butter.

Its good. yummy even.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2008, 07:21:23 pm »
I just made the Bourbon Chicken. It is yummy. two thumbs up!

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2008, 11:23:18 am »
I have a package of beef short ribs. I've looked online for a recipe to use for cooking them and I think I might try this one.
I'll likely modify the recipe too. Like seasoning and dredging the meat in flour then browning them first. Maybe add an onion. 
I'll let ya'll know. It is similar to the Bourbon Chicken now that I think about it so I'm sure it will be good.

Short Ribs With Sauce

4  lbs bone-in short rib of beef 
2  cups water 
3/4  cup cider vinegar 
1/2  cup catsup 
1/2  cup honey 
2  tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 
1/2  teaspoon salt 
1  teaspoon ground mustard 
1  teaspoon paprika 
2  cloves garlic, minced 
1/4  teaspoon pepper 

Heat oven to 350°.
Place ribs in 13x9 baking pan; add water.
Cover and bake for 2-1/2 hours.
In small saucepan, mix all other ingredients.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Set in refrigerator until needed.
When done, uncover ribs and spoon sauce over.
Bake, uncovered, for 1/2 hour, turning often to coat with sauce.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:15 am »
Look at this then, it's more what I've had (and made) in terms of this dish:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/004085braised_beef_short_ribs.php

I will add, however, that this dish really deserves something like an oven proof casserole (i.e. a cast iron one) if you have it -- though I'd think in a pinch you could use a cast iron skillet to braise then transfer to something like pyrex for the oven part.  That way you can braise the short ribs on top of the stove, do the rest of the stuff, and then shove it in the oven.  I've also thrown in some of those little red potatoes in the final step instead of making mashed potatoes later.

This is one of my very favorite winter dishes.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2008, 12:00:30 pm »
It looks great but I am afraid it would come out tasting like a potroast.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »
Well yah... short ribs are basically cooked as a more succulent version of pot roast.  Is this the first time you will have eaten them?

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »
First time I've cooked them.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2008, 06:32:35 pm »
Anybody have a good, relatively easy rice recipe?  I now have over 26 lbs of white med. grain rice in my house, my mother brought me a 20lb bag yesterday and I don't have a clue how I will use it all?
TIA,
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »
One of my favorites.

Fried Rice

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked converted or parboiled rice - cooled
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
pepper

Directions:

Cook rice following instructions on package Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the refrigerator. Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat. Separate the scrambled chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.

When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas & carrots, and diced onion to the bowl. Carefully toss all of the ingredients together. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over medium/high heat.

When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper and scrambled egg. Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.

You can add meat to it too if you want.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2008, 08:26:01 pm »
Short Ribs With Sauce

This was pretty good. I fished the meat out of the pan and lightly drizzled the sauce over the meat and only cooked it for 5 more minutes.
I think if I'd poured it over the meat it would have been too strong for me.

With it we had smashed potatoes with all the baked potato fixings mixed in aside from bacon.
Fresh green beans with garlic
and baby carrots lightly coated in a reduction of the meat juices from the ribs with butter and herbs

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:02 pm »
That sounds like a good rice recipe Win.  I will definately try that.  Thank you!

Your short ribs and fixins sounded yummy tonight!

Snow

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2008, 10:56:20 pm »
I just read this to make myself hungry.  I could never master one of the more exotic recipes (that includes the borboun chicken).

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2008, 07:26:55 am »
I love me some short ribs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:28:36 am by Dachshund »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:49 am »
I love me some short ribs.

They're just one of my favorite things in the world.  I so very much want some now, and as soon as my cold goes away and I can actually taste things I will make some.

Offline minismom

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2008, 09:25:09 am »
ok, stupid question.  Are short ribs the same as babyback ribs?
www.watoto.com

Offline Roie

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2008, 09:44:19 am »
Anybody have a good, relatively easy rice recipe?  I now have over 26 lbs of white med. grain rice in my house, my mother brought me a 20lb bag yesterday and I don't have a clue how I will use it all?
TIA,
Snow

Rice is very easy and if you make it like this its almost impossible to mess up.

PLAIN RICE:

1 cup of rice.
2 cups boiling water.

Check your rice first for any stones or foreign objects. Then rinse it with BOILING WATER.
Let drain.
Heat up 3 table spoons of oil in a pot, and put the rinsed rice into the pot,
Stir. after a couple of min add 2 cups of boiling water.(always double amount of water to the rice)
 1 teaspoon salt.
 bring back to boil, cover, reduce heat and allow all the water to evaporate. about 10 or so min. turn off heat. and let stand with  pot covered for 5 or so min.

Serve.

I usually add frozen veg when I add the boiling water, if I want Rice and veg. (peas or corn or beans or carrots or all)

I like Basmati Rice, I think its the most tasty.
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2008, 09:47:58 am »
No.  Short ribs are beef, baby back are pork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_ribs

In my experience, when Americans say "ribs" they mean pork (whether they know it or not) and they mean BBQ.  Beef short ribs are harder to find at the supermarket, but if you look carefully you may find them.  When I cook them I generally go to an actual butcher shop, because even if I find them at the supermarket they never have but a couple of them.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2008, 01:26:13 pm »
The ones I bought where boneless and roughly 2 inches by 2 inches squared.
Tasted alot like pot roast. LOL

I like rice in general and will eat pretty much any kind but I like smell and taste of Jasmine rice.

I don't have any recipe planed for tonight as of yet. I'll work on it if I feel up to it. I'm still fighting off a upper respiratory infection and general crappy feeling.  Otherwise its a fend for yourself night.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:30:16 pm by Winiroo »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2008, 02:13:50 pm »
I thought about it and think I might do potato soup. I've used this recipe before and it is goooood.

Copy Cat Tony Roma's Potato Soup

Ingredients
2 medium baked potatoes
3 teaspoons butter
1 cup diced white onions
2 teaspoons flour
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1 cup half-and-half

Garnish
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
2  green onions, chopped

Directions
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté onion until light brown.
2. Add the flour to the onions and stir to make a roux.
3. Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes and spices to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out.
6. Discard skins.
7. Chop potato flesh into 1/2 inch chunks.
8. Add chopped potato and half and half to the saucepan, bring soup back to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Ladle into bowls, and serve with 1 tbsp cheese, 1/2 tbsp bacon bits and 1 tsp onion sprinkled on top.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:15:51 pm by Winiroo »

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2008, 04:32:28 pm »
Anybody have a good chicken salad recipe?  What kind of chicken do you use, boneless skinless or cook the whole bird and then de-bone?
Thanks,
Snow

Offline bear60

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2008, 05:15:41 pm »
Hi Snow
I dont really have a receipe but here is one of my favorite ways to fix chicken salad.
Chicken: de-bone and chop
chopped celery
small amt of chopped onion
a chopped up apple
some raisins
mayonaise to taste
a bit of mustard ( i like the honey mustard)
salt and pepper to taste...I use a pepper mill and load it on
(the apple really gives it a bang for your buck)
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2008, 05:32:07 pm »
HHhhmmn!!! Sounds yummy!
Thanks, Bear

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »
I'm making my roast beef and roasted shallots again today.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2008, 02:12:15 pm »
I'm going to make a couple of fillet mignon. My boyfriends adopted parents are Jewish and have been cleaning out their fridge of anything that isn't kosher for passover. Lucky us aye?

Offline mjmel

« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2008, 06:35:14 pm »
My brother shipped some Louisiana crawfish tails my way so I cooked some cajun-styled crawfish stew last night. I ate till I thought I was going to burst.  :P

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.