Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:18:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 650
Total: 651

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "They are men and know what honour is."  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
"They are men and know what honour is."
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:58:36 pm »

'My daughter deserved to die for falling in love'

For Abdel-Qader Ali there is only one regret: that he did not kill his daughter at birth. 'If I had realised then what she would become, I would have killed her the instant her mother delivered her,' he said with no trace of remorse.

Two weeks after The Observer revealed the shocking story of Rand Abdel-Qader, 17, murdered because of her infatuation with a British soldier in Basra, southern Iraq, her father is defiant. Sitting in the front garden of his well-kept home in the city's Al-Fursi district, he remains a free man, despite having stamped on, suffocated and then stabbed his student daughter to death.

Abdel-Qader, 46, a government employee, was initially arrested but released after two hours. Astonishingly, he said, police congratulated him on what he had done. 'They are men and know what honour is,' he said.

(source)

MtD

Offline chm02

• id est
Re: "They are men and know what honour is."
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:46:40 pm »
Disgusting. Gives new depth and pungency to the term "heathen".

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:14:02 pm »
It's good to know that all the money and all the lives that we've expended over there in the last five years haven't been in vain.

Mission accomplished!
It's a complex world

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:46:07 pm »
I read about that as well, it was terribly sad that a young woman or even a man cannot speak to whomever they please, realistically it won't be long before the Taliban, Al Quada and groups such as Hezbollah control much if not all the Middle East.  All the lives lost and the billions (trillions???) spent there will turn out to be in vain, democracy or the promise of such short lived I'm afraid and when the suicidal lunatics get their hands on nukes, which they eventually figure to do, we are all in trouble.

Jody  :'(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:29:49 pm »
So he's swearing God will reward him for what he's done while the mother is vowing that God will punish him either in this life or the one hereafter.

God sure has a lot of exlaining to do.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
Wow.  That's really all I can think of saying after reading that. >:(
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:57 pm »
Not much of a surprise to me, the world is a fucked up place for whatever reason....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »
too bad his daughter didn't have a shot gun with her...

of course, she would probably have been imprisoned immediately, or executed..

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:15 am »
How truly disgusting. 

I just finished reading INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali who was born in Somalia and escaped and eventually became a member of the dutch parliament.  It is amazing what people will do in the name of religion.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:30:17 am »
"Honor" killings continue to take place even in countries where they're legally treated as murder and the offenders get life imprisonment. It's not necessarily because the guy was British. Ces't la (Muslim) vie...
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 05:23:52 am »
Matty the Damned is no fan of islam and he would like nothing more than to be able to slate the responsibility for this atrocity home to the muslamaniacs.

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

Honour killings are a cultural phenomena, which predate the establishment of islam, christianity or any other iron-age supertition at which one cares to raise a smug and deftly shaped eyebrow.

For example, consider the ghastly demise of Doaa Khalil Aswad a young woman of the Yazidi religious minority who was stoned to death last year at the behest of her male relatives because she dared to fancy a muslim lad.

The vile wench.

For the perverse amongst us, it's possible to download the grainy footage of her dreadful death.

Or what of Faten Habash, a Palestinian christian lass who also loved a muslim lad? She was tormented by her outraged male family members because of her misplaced affections. Her father tricked her into coming home and then:

. . . as Faten watched a Boy Scouts parade from the balcony of her Ramallah home, the 22-year-old Christian Palestinian was dragged into the living room and bludgeoned to death with an iron bar. Her father was arrested for the murder.

Gentle Jesus, meek and mild!

There is no doubt that each of these belief systems plays a vital role in perpetuating an appalling contempt for women, but there are much older cultural forces at work.

What little regard we have for 50% of the species.

MtD

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:38:25 am »
you're right Matty -  even the National Geographic says so.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/02/0212_020212_honorkilling.html

Islam does not have a monopoly on atrocity. That's for sure.
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 09:59:08 am »
I tend to think there is something more than just religion. The father might not have killed the daughter if the later simply dated someone not muslim. The British is viewed as invader, by most Iraqis.

Get them out of Iraq is the first thing need to be done. Then somehow we need to understand Muslim better and tolerate their belief if they can't evolve to our standard.

In one word, it's Bush's fault.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:10:18 am »
I tend to think there is something more than just religion. The father might not have killed the daughter if the later simply dated someone not muslim. The British is viewed as invader, by most Iraqis.

Get them out of Iraq is the first thing need to be done. Then somehow we need to understand Muslim better and tolerate their belief if they can't evolve to our standard.

Yeah and you might not have contracted AIDS if you didn't take it up the butt.

In three words; it's your fault. >:(

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 04:10:07 pm »

That's a joke..right?

If not then that's the most ridiculous statement I have ever read..and I've been on these forums for 5 years.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 08:36:01 pm »
Then somehow we need to understand Muslim better and tolerate their belief if they can't evolve to our standard.

We need to tolerate beliefs like that?  Come on, think about what you just said.

And Bush's fault?  I don't like Bush, but these horrendous practices were around long before Bush was.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »
A while back I read Sam Harris's book The End of Faith. At first I thought his writing smacked of its own kind of fundamentalism. But slowly I came around to his way of thinking. In the modern scientific world of the 21st century, there should indeed be no tolerance for ancient superstitions that impose their rules on others and that encourage violent behavior. We now know why there are cyclones, we now know what eclipses are, we now know how diseases are caused. There simply are no supernatural supreme beings who require regular supplication by supine servants. Imagine how much better the world could be once everyone realizes this.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:55 pm »
I tend to think there is something more than just religion. The father might not have killed the daughter if the later simply dated someone not Muslim. The British is viewed as invader, by most Iraqis.

You had to be joking when you wrote this.

Tolerance of homicide?

And, while I am certainly no fan of the current president, this can't be blamed on him. This is a long-standing cultural idiosyncrasy that is just abominable. The story included mention of how this is done to girls who commit similar offenses with Muslim boys too.

Just sayin . . .

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 12:57:42 am »
For a while, I thought I might have read something different from what you all read... I always knew I think differently from most Americans, but now it seems I am also different from Australians or people from other more civilized countries that I am not aware of. I appologize if my thoughts might have upset anybody, I will shut up.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is each culture and religion needs to co-exist and understand each other. I don't mean the girl should die, but let's just pause for one minute and take in the fact that even police didn't persecute this. Is it possible for us to be open minded and think for a moment that in some culture maybe they think some things are more important than human lives? The father is very possibly thinking he did a good thing for his daughter. It's hard for people with western belief to understand but who can say for sure there is no life after death, or heaven? That's why they have those suicide bombers. -- I am totally against all these of course.

Many of the problems in the world, historically or currently, are caused by people misunderstand each other and try to force one's own belief onto others. It will be a much better world if we can leave each other alone.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 01:38:48 am »
Hmm, well, I believe the spirit goes on after death but I'm not out planning on using myself as a human bomb to take out Muslims, Iraqis or whoever. I believe I'm tolerant of others religious preferences but I don't see how taking a life justifies itself because of one's religion. And on that note, maybe you should follow your own advice...."I will shut up."
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 04:37:01 am »
yeah it would be just great to leave each other alone, so that the bullies, vandals and perverts of the world can roam free and do what they like, whether under the pretext of religion (extreme torture and abuse inflicted by Orthodox Jews on young children to "excorcise demons", even leading to brain death) or just cos they can (Austrian father lock girl up in cellar 24 years and rapes her while she continues to have his children in that cellar). That would be just brilliant. What a peaceful world of coexistence. Oh, and you have AIDS, that's too bad, now why would someone want to interfere with that, it must be cos you're an infidel/go against the Bible/did something bad in a former reincarnation/are possessed by a spirit. Let's just leave you alone (if we don't stone you to death or burn you). You just leave us alone and we'll leave you alone.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:42:30 am by Dragonette »

Offline David_CA

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 02:36:08 pm »
Something's wrong here.  I'm not a parent, but I don't know any that wouldn't give their life for their child.  I'm also perfectly aware that there are parents who murder their children for things much less important than religion... like crying, but I'd like to think these parents have mental or substance abuse issues.  No, the major issue here is how women are viewed in many countries based on cultural or religious traditions.  It all reminds me of female circumcision and some of the 'facts' that are used to justify performing them.

Unlike what one member has posted here, I don't think tolerance needs to come from the outside world (us), it needs to start inside, with individuals, families, and religious leaders.  Obviously various countries, cultures, and religions need to get along, but surely we've evolved enough to practice tolerance... starting with our own children.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 02:52:36 pm »
Anyway, what I am trying to say is each culture and religion needs to co-exist and understand each other. I don't mean the girl should die, but let's just pause for one minute and take in the fact that even police didn't persecute this. Is it possible for us to be open minded and think for a moment that in some culture maybe they think some things are more important than human lives? The father is very possibly thinking he did a good thing for his daughter. It's hard for people with western belief to understand but who can say for sure there is no life after death, or heaven? That's why they have those suicide bombers. -- I am totally against all these of course.

There is a difference between respecting cultures and cultural relativism. Murdering your daughter is morally wrong no matter how you are brought up or what your religious beliefs are. I could go on to explain why murdering your children is morally wrong but that really shouldn't be necessary.

I agree with what Okealyshire said earlier in this thread.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »
Is it possible for us to be open minded and think for a moment that in some culture maybe they think some things are more important than human lives? The father is very possibly thinking he did a good thing for his daughter. It's hard for people with western belief to understand but who can say for sure there is no life after death, or heaven?

How can you possibly imagine that an "open mind" would countenance the kind of willful, wanton destruction the father engaged in? No, it is only a closed mind that can rationalize such behavior -- a mind closed to development, a mind closed to modernization. A mind taught to be closed by a system refusing to acknowledge that the advancement of human thinking eliminates the need to construct gods through which one can shirk individual responsibility.

Many of the problems in the world, historically or currently, are caused by people misunderstand each other and try to force one's own belief onto others. It will be a much better world if we can leave each other alone.

Quite the contrary, this deranged moron forced his own belief onto his daughter in the most permanent way imaginable.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 02:11:46 am »
Further developments: now the mother falls victim. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/01/iraq

Leila Hussein lived her last few weeks in terror. Moving constantly from safe house to safe house, she dared to stay no longer than four days at each. It was the price she was forced to pay after denouncing and divorcing her husband - the man she witnessed suffocate, stamp on, then stab their young daughter Rand in a brutal 'honour' killing for which he has shown no remorse.

Though she feared reprisals for speaking out, she really believed that she would soon be safe. Arrangements were well under way to smuggle her to the Jordanian capital, Amman. In fact, she was on her way to meet the person who would help her escape when a car drew up alongside her and two other women who were walking her to a taxi. Five bullets were fired: three of them hit Leila, 41. She died in hospital after futile attempts to save her.

Utterly contemptuous and reprehensible. I'm as liberal as you can imagine, but examples like this strengthen my resolve that "religious intolerance" is inexcusable. Those who teach in favor of the behavior exhibited by these goons deserve the same fate as this brave unfortunate woman.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:20:24 am by Okealyshire »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 02:18:10 am »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.