Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:55:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just picked up my months supply of meds.  (Read 4637 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Just picked up my months supply of meds.
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:59:01 am »
Well,

Viramune remained the same price. $471.99 ( without insurance for one month)

Epzicom  remained the same price $845.99 ( without insurance for one month)

Viread : WHY DID VIREAD GO UP IN PRICE?  ???

Was $526.99 ( one month supply.... Now its 559.99

These are all Walgreens prices. My co-pay $75.00

I am so grateful I have insurance.whewww....... But I can't help but worry about the future :-[

Ray
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 08:00:39 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Just picked up my months supply of meds.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:19:25 am »
Now those ARE scary numbers, Ray.

It's good that you have access to what you need.

What do we have to do to make sure everyone who needs them will have that same access!
Andy Velez

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:46:01 am »
I suppose the name of the game is to survive and retain sensitivity to the drugs until the patents run out.   ;)

I totally agree that the prices are ridiculous and scary, especially when the US govt is running such high deficits.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:00:43 am »
Is this because the pharma companies raise the price?  I remember seeing protests at Abbott in South Pasadena a couple years ago cuz they raised HIV med prices.

Drew

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 09:05:32 am »
I did a search, but couldn't find anything about Gildead raising prices.  Though this price increase is small compared to what Abbott did (400% as oppose to this one which is less than 10%).  My guess is it's Gilead just pushing through annual increases to maintain profit margins in the wake of rising costs.  I guess it could also be Walgreens raisining their prices, but it would seem odd that their price increase would only impact one of the drugs.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:05:48 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:59:16 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline randym431

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:51:13 pm »
Hi Ray
I sure agree. With everything there is to worry or think about, being able to still get meds in the long term future is more worry on my mind than side effects, resistance possibilities or any illness popping up.

We are at the mercy of the drug makers as to what they charge. Government has pulled the rug from under any protections against high costs.

I also worry about employer's being able to even offer good medical insurance in the near future. They will either stop offering insurance, or charge so much for it many will not be able to afford it (like Walmart) , or the co pays will go thru the roof.

Thats why I often think I should try for taking advantage of my companies long term disability insurance I carry now, then onto SS disability. If that could work out, that might be a safer long term solution instead of this wondering year by year what is going to happen with company insurance. 
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 01:40:50 am »
Hello Ray,

It is a good thing that you are covered. The government needs to step in and make some sort of regulation on the Pharma's.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 03:17:18 am »
There walks the free market eh? Wouldn't (couldn't) happen in England ... just saying, like

- matt

Now playing: er, my phone's ringing
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 07:20:17 am »
Now those ARE scary numbers, Ray.

What do we have to do to make sure everyone who needs them will have that same access!

Hello Andy, ( Just some early morning thoughts...Been up for the last 14 hours...

Well, Thats the million dollar question...Or should I say the multi-million dollar question, because unfortunately the dollar will always be the focus point. Every year an  international aids conference is held, and these exact questions comes up annually at these conferences."How do we get the meds distributed, how do we fund that distribution of meds, and make sure that the meds gets to those in need. How do we know the "numbers" of people in need. How do we prevent people from needing meds in the first place." How do we educate and inform?

No doubt it takes cooperation amongst the private sector,insurance industry the government, and the pharmaceutical industry.

For starters, my own thoughts are that we need to know how many people are in need of medication globally.We need more solid numbers.
People shouldn't have to wait until they hit the "emergency rooms" to determine, that these same people are not only HIV positive, but already have advanced HIV/ AIDS. This is happenning right here today in this grand ole USA !

If someone would have asked me in 1985, what I had thought about mandatory HIV testing, I would have said "absolutely not". I remember very well how I felt, and the stigma/shame I went through back in 1985, when I tested "anonymously" at the county health department.
Today though, that is a totally different story. But trying to push that program still raises many eyebrows for some. You read the article from the Bradenton Herald that I posted the other other day, regarding HIV/aids in the state of Florida. In fact unless the statistics have changed, I believe that Miami-dade/Broward counties have the highest rates of HIV infection occurring within the country today. Someone can correct me if I am wrong .

So just to be brief, and for starters, no doubt we need mandatory HIV testing program. We need more exact numbers of those that are walking around, unaware of their HIV infection. I think if people were more aware, of the total numbers of people infected, it would most likely be a wake up call, and an unfortunate one at that, as the numbers of those being infected increase daily !! Of course, it should have been a wake up call years ago... It's also not just an issue of reporting numbers, but putting faces to those numbers, and making it personal.

I look at the price of these medications that my "company" have basically been paying for these past three years, And my mind is completely messed up thinking about it. I am also very grateful( everyday) that I have this insurance that allows me, at this time to get on with life, But I know this is not going to last forever. I am not certain how much longer, I am going to be capable of working and keeping this insurance.I am old enough and wise enough to understand things could change at any time. I have mentioned this before, that my biggest fear, is loosing my job.I am afraid, of what state of mind this could possibly put me in. It can be overwhelming at times.

I guess ultimately, we all need to be a voice.... As Cowandale just stated "Big steps ahead...political will, funds, a level of understanding, knowledge and caring like never before...dealing with government, share holders and big pharma....harsh reality...."

But it's a reality that WE ALL need to deal with. We can not take anything for advantage,including having insurance, or having a well paying job. It's going to take a lot of effort and willpower and drive. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have taken a more positive role years ago.

Just my thoughts------------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.