Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:00:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What about Selenium?  (Read 4776 times)

Offline rick21007

What about Selenium?
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:02:38 pm »
I've been reading about selenium after a conversation with another forum member.  Wanting to know if anyone on the forum is taking it and what their experience is.  I am familiar with its use in a whole other context and I am aware that most soil in North America is selenium deficient.  The articles I have read so far about the research involving its use in treatment of hiv and othr viruses is intriguing.  I am planning to ask my naturopathic physician about it next time I see her, though she is not big on supplements in general.   You folks on the board will probably be the most helpful.

rick

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: What about Selenium?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:28:06 am »
Rick,

I remember the topic of selenium coming up before in a previous post. I do not know how to find it or I would've put a link here. I'm sure someone will be able to give you the info you seek.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:47:45 am »
hiya

you can check out the 2 threads below or use the keyword Search function at the lower left column

Selenium supplementation improves CD4 count
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3779.0

Selenium
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3355.0

Offline rick21007

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:47:18 am »
Thanks for the links.  No one mentioned that the soil in most of North America is deficient in selenium, which means we probably don't get enough of this trace mineral naturally in our food.  Another question i have has to do with it's absorption.  We routinely supplement our pregnant mares and young horses with selenium combined with vitamin E which facilitates it's absorption.  In horses the biggest difference I see is that the foals from mother's who have been supplemented are born with stronger, straighter legs.  It also seems to enhance fertility.  Not that these would apply to what we are concerned about directly _except_ the effect on over-all cell vitality, which I read in one article affects the "behavior" of the hiv virus to spread on a cellular level and also to mutate.

Rick

Offline phantim

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 04:53:18 pm »
I did mucho research on vitamins and minerals for the first couple of years after testing positive. The 4 things I stuck with are a multi-vite, natural selenium 200mcg, ester-c 500mg, and natural vitamin E 200iu per day after lunch. Could be placebo effect, but I think these things have helped me substantially with counts, skin complexion, and overall health. However, I also believe that the effects of vitamins etc are cumulative and happen over a long period of time, and for some, popping four more pills every day might not be desireable.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:26:58 pm »
I take some supplements including the 200 mg selenium.  I also thought that since HIV damages the intestinal lining etc that probiotic yogurt is good.  I have beautiful feces....not sure what the selenium does otherwise....

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »
Your funny Fondeveau

First time i heard anyone say they had beautiful feces. But i understand what you are saying.

:o)
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »
Firm, large, good texture, and no more odor than a warm biscuit...LOL

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:02:45 pm »
Icky poo.

I am eating Enteman's chocolate cake as I was reading your comment. Your nasty Fonde, lol.

Too much info.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.