Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Started Complera a month ago

<< < (3/15) > >>

Torchwood:
Calories are not my problem. My problem is going to be the 2x40mg Nexium I take every night for acid reflux. I do not have high hopes for my continued progression on Complera because of that. I get my first blood test next week since starting Complera. My ID Doc and myself will be taking it from there. My appt is Jan 5th. I am mainly posting all of this to help others with the side effects of Complera itself since it is so new.

Butterfly is my wife's account. I have my own now and will be posting on this name.

bosco:
I've been on Complera for almost three (3) months and luckily had no side effects. My ID doctor switched me from Atripla. I have labs on the 23rd and will be anxious to see how my numbers are. Prior to switching my VL was less than 49 copies and T-cells were 790.
Sorry to hear some people are having problems with Comp,era.

bosco

austinguy:
Hi Torchwood,

I've been on Complera for about 46 weeks now. I started taking it during a phase 3 clinical trial. I can identify with the hormonal issue. I had a pretty serious bout of depression about week 4 that lasted 2 weeks. I think these meds can manipulate our hormones differently and individually. I'm glad to hear that things have evened out for you. I would encourage you to ensure that you are consuming enough calories for this medication to do its job. The trial I'm participating is up on January 5th. I have talked to my Dr. and will continue to take Complera. I have already received my first 90 supply from my mail order pharmacy. In addition Gilead offers a co-pay assistance card that you can get from your Dr. that could possibly cover your entire co-pay. The program covers my entire co-pay for my 90 supply. I wish you luck on Complera and appreciate you sharing your experiences. I was afraid to take this 46 weeks ago. It is comforting to me that others are sharing their experiences in the forums.

moose:
Hey gang- I really appreciate this thread. I was just diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. I start Complera tomorrow. I am scared to death. I feel like the treatment is almost as bad as the virus. This has helped me to know what to expect, or what I might expect. Any other words of wisdom or advice to offer a newbie who is terrified right now? My doc says given my VL (27K) and my CD4 (350) I should expect to drop to nondetectable and normal CD4 within 4-12 weeks, and because I am a health nut anyway and very fit I shouldn't see any side effects. Has this been your experience? I'm so effing scared.

newt:

--- Quote ---I feel like the treatment is almost as bad as the virus.
--- End quote ---

Seriously? the virus leads to your death after a lot of long, drawn-out and often painful illnesses. The meds hammer the virus, keep you well and let you lead a long (and hopefully) happy life. Nuff said.

It can be a shock, getting an HIV-positive diagnosis, and scared to death, yes I can see this is possible (metaphorically speaking), but it's in your head. The unknown can be terrifying. Give yourself sometime to adjust. It will get better, I promise.

Know your enemy, then put it in it's place, it's just a treatable virus, not Scary Movie 99.

- matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version