Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:24:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 202
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 96246 times)

Offline leese43

Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »
Jerk/BBQ chicken - serves 2

2 chicken legs
4 ripe tomatoes
1 onion - sliced
1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
Coriander leaves
jerk BBQ or smoky BBQ sauce

Combine all ingredients except sauce in a shallow casserole dish or lasagne type dish, cover and leave to season for at least an hour.

Heat oven to 350f, 180c, gas mark 4 and cook covered for about 1-1.5 hours.

Remove chicken and place on an oven tray, brush with either jerk BBQ or smoky BBQ sauce or mix of both, depending on your liking for heat/spice, turn oven up to 400f, 200c, gas mark 6 and cook for 20 minutes.

I add a spoonful of BBQ sauce to the gravy left in casserole dish and mix with pasta. You could also use it over potatoes and other veg.

Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2010, 07:36:41 pm »
Ooo, the Jerk/BBQ Chicken sounds awesome.

I have a whole chicken in the oven roasting at the moment seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, garlic sea salt, seasoning salt, a tad of poultry seasoning and roasted garlic rubbed on the breast meat under the skin. I then filled the cavity with onion, celery (makes it super moist), earth balance (didn't have butter) and dark beer (Scrimshaw). I mixed the left over olive oil from roasting the garlic with potatoes, carrots, celery and onion as well as more roasted garlic, some seasoning and more beer in a separate dish.

The next few hours are torture. The house smells amazing and I can't wait to try it. I haven't tried rubbing the meat under the breasts with roasted garlic before.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »

I have a whole chicken in the oven roasting at the moment seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, garlic sea salt, seasoning salt, a tad of poultry seasoning and roasted garlic rubbed on the breast meat under the skin. I then filled the cavity with onion, celery (makes it super moist), earth balance (didn't have butter) and dark beer (Scrimshaw). I mixed the left over olive oil from roasting the garlic with potatoes, carrots, celery and onion as well as more roasted garlic, some seasoning and more beer in a separate dish.

The next few hours are torture. The house smells amazing and I can't wait to try it. I haven't tried rubbing the meat under the breasts with roasted garlic before.

Marry me now.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:38 pm »
Only if your Canadian :-*

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:36 pm »

Fried Tomatoes ( a Sunday afternoon delight)

-1 medium tomato for each person. Can be green or red tomatoes, if you use red make sure they are firm and not soft.
- a dash of sugar
-Cornmeal
-Bacon drippings (the stuff left over after you cook bacon)

Slice tomatoes 1/4 inch thick, place a pinch of sugar on each. roll in cornmeal coating each side. Fry in bacon drippings until coating turns golden brown. Place on paper towel to remove excess grease, Serve up with a nice glass of Iced tea.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »
WE NEED MORE RECIPES ;D

We have 35ish so far. We really are going to need at least 100 to have a really great cookbook!

Please remember that by submitting a recipe you are helping to make this project go forward, and will be helping to send someone to the AMG who otherwise would not be able to attend.

We would like to have alot of different people submitting recipes. If you haven't submitted one yet, please do so! Don't cook? No problem, ask your family or friends about a good recipe to submit!!!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »
WE NEED MORE RECIPES ;D
We would like to have alot of different people submitting recipes. If you haven't submitted one yet, please do so! Don't cook? No problem, ask your family or friends about a good recipe to submit!!!

-Will

Have you considered including a couple of pages with recommended restaurants from across the different areas? From those of us who make reservations better than we cook? Then, if one is traveling, they will have a reference

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:07 pm »
It's a cookbook sweetheart, not Travel & Leisure With A Pillbox.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2010, 09:51:11 pm »
 ;) noted, darling...just a thought.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »
;) noted, darling...just a thought.

Mebbe we should save this for AMG 2012 fundraising.  By then everyone will have an iPad (with wings) and we can make an app -- would you like us to also included listings for bath houses, peep show booths and other Smegmacula items?

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2010, 09:55:19 pm »
Mebbe we should save this for AMG 2012 fundraising.  By then everyone will have an iPad (with wings) and we can make an app -- would you like us to also included listings for bath houses, peep show booths and other Smegmacula items?

:D nope...just recommended places to eat in the various areas based on everyone's experience in their own home areas would work for me.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2010, 10:05:14 pm »
Have you considered including a couple of pages with recommended restaurants from across the different areas? From those of us who make reservations better than we cook? Then, if one is traveling, they will have a reference

Excellent Idea Zorro! If we do not get enough recipes perhaps we can fill up the remainder with these restaraunts

MissyP's IDea- ehhh, not so much.

-W
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:08:11 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »
Excellent Idea Zorro! If we do not get enough recipes perhaps we can fill up the remainder with these restaraunts

MissyP's IDea- ehhh, not so much.

-W

You're the type that gets a little power and then quickly becomes a tyrant.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »
You're the type that gets a little power and then quickly becomes a tyrant.

LOL, it's a cookbook , not a regime.

Where are your recipes Missy????? don't make me come up there.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »
WE NEED MORE RECIPES ;D
perhaps in the cookbook thread you could post a category/recipe listing so that people know what to offer to fill up sections - so we don't all submit meatloaf recipes or something LOL

did you scour our previous recipe threads? or do we need to re-submit those?
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=31237.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=18156.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=35086.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=19849.0
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 10:45:52 pm »
perhaps in the cookbook thread you could post a category/recipe listing so that people know what to offer to fill up sections - so we don't all submit meatloaf recipes or something LOL

did you scour our previous recipe threads? or do we need to re-submit those?
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=31237.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=18156.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=35086.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=19849.0

Great catch Leather on the other recipe threads. Yes, I am supposed to be creating a framework of categories and submissions (and what we need where) to submit to the Grant's Committee (who will be taking over the project in the near future)

Thanks for this :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:09 pm »

2 chicken legs
4 ripe tomatoes
1 onion - sliced
Coriander leaves

Combine all ingredients except sauce in a shallow casserole dish or lasagne type dish, cover and leave to season for at least an hour.

Remove chicken and place on an oven tray, brush with either jerk BBQ or smoky BBQ sauce or mix of both, depending on your liking for heat/spice, turn oven up to 400f, 200c, gas mark 6 and cook for 20 minutes.

I add a spoonful of BBQ sauce to the gravy left in casserole dish and mix with pasta. You could also use it over potatoes and other veg.

Thanks, Leese!  I have been looking for a jerk chicken recipe. 
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2010, 04:29:38 pm »

How was it, sounds delicious!
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline peteb

« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2010, 04:52:03 pm »
Braised Red Cabbage:

3 lbs of red cabbage
6 0z diced bacon
1/2 lb Onions diced
1oz sugar
1 pint white sauce or chicken broth
1/2 lb apples cored diced do not peel
2 cloves
2oz allspice
1 cinnamon stick

2-3 oz cider vinager or red wine vinager
1/2 cup red wine
salt & pepper to taste
cut cabbage  do not chop slice thin, set aside,Render bacon in a large skillet,add the onions and sugar cook till onions are soft
add cabbage and stir until cabbage is coated
add the stock or broth,apples,spices,u can use a cheesecloth bad if u like that lets u make sure you get cinnaman out,
cover and simmer 20 minutes until the cabbage is tender
add the Vinager and red wine simmer another 10 minutes remove spice add flavor to taste

Goes great with Baked Ckicken
Pork Loin
its a great side dish or eat by itself

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »
The roast chicken was good Snow. Though the roasted garlic got even more mellow which was a little sad, lol. I have done better and real butter is a must I have learned with my method of roasting chicken. The best beer to use I have decided is guiness. Beer and potatoes, YUM!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2010, 08:41:45 pm »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:25 pm »
I wish that I could bake a cake made out of rainbows and smiles

It reminds me of a Van Gogh painting. Wait, are those pharmaceuticals sprinkled across the top? Qualudes maybe?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2010, 09:00:38 pm »
It reminds me of a Van Gogh painting. Wait, are those pharmaceuticals sprinkled across the top? Qualudes maybe?

I really hope you're not missing the movie reference :(

Offline HippieLady

~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2010, 09:12:01 pm »
Mean Girls is an awesome movie!

Dammit to Hell. I was told in a bar one night that my Gay card was revoked because I didn't catch a reference to Mean Girls. I worked so hard ot get it back, and now I suppose I must surrender it again. I'm trying so hard to be gay, with the butt sex and all but obviously there is more to it than that. Sigh.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:35 pm »

2 chicken legs
4 ripe tomatoes
1 onion - sliced
Coriander leaves

Holy Crap! I'm making this on Tuesday.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
Holy Crap! I'm making this on Tuesday.

-Will

Are you supposed to do something with the tomatoes like slice them or chop them up or do you just throw them into the pan whole and cook it?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2010, 09:53:22 pm »
Are you supposed to do something with the tomatoes like slice them or chop them up or do you just throw them into the pan whole and cook it?

Good question, I'm guessing Chopped. Perhaps Leese can confirm.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline edfu

« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:32 am »
In the early days of my forty-year publishing career I was forced to edit several cookbooks by professional cookbook writers--although I had to double-check the instructions when I wanted to boil an egg at home--and you would be stunned at the multiple errors I discovered:  ingredients that were missing in the list but  not in the instructions and vice versa, ingredients out of order in which they were used, tomatoes in the list but no indication what precisely were to be done with them, etc.  Instructions out of order.  Essential ingredients and steps completely missing.

All recipes should be thoroughly edited before publishing.  The best cookbook publishers even kitchen-test every recipe.  There are notorious cases of wildly incorrect ingredient amounts that ended in disaster and embarrassing erratum slips having to be inserted into finished books.  I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but to avoid legal repercussions: Caveat emptor.
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2010, 10:43:14 am »
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but to avoid legal repercussions: Caveat emptor.

Excellent point. I suppose we will have to make sure no one accidentally lists "Cyanide" when it should be "Cayenne"

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2010, 12:40:16 pm »
Potato & Onion Latkes

This is the recipe I use, but because I tend to make greater quantities I exponentially the recommended amounts. If you want to end up with a quantity that supposedly serves 8, you can use these amounts. However, it would 8 very small appetites. The quantities below I usually at least double when serving 4 people.
2 eggs
3 cups grated, drained potatoes (I use all kinds of potatoes)
4 tablespoons  of grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespooms cracker meal or matzoh meal
1/2 cup fat or butter

Beat eggs and add the pototoes, onion, salt, pepper and meal.

Heat half the fat or butter in a brying pan and drop the potato into it by the tablespoon. Fry until browned on both sides. Keep pancakes hot until ready to serve. Add more fat or butter as needed. Usually I fry with low-fat oil.

I serve the latkes with a salad which has everything in it -- at least 2 lettuces, tomato and anything else I feel like throwing in. Simple vinagrette dressing. Makes a good compliment to the pancakes. For beverage I usually serve champagne or other sparkling wine which again like the salad makes a good contrast with the fried pancakes. And I make lots of...

Recipe #2 Edy's Fried Chicken

You can do this with any chicken parts you like. I generally prefer breasts, legs and thighs. (That's the kinda guy I am...)

Hard for me to specify quantities here as I go by "that looks right" method. Ingredients are:

chicken parts
flour
low-fat cooking oil
brown paper bag or plastic one is ok too
eggs
milk
garlic salt to taste

Fill bag with flour.  
Mix eggs and milk well in large bowl which add garlic and any other flavoring you like.
Dip each piece of chicken thoroughly into the mix in the bowl.
Then drop pieces of chicken into the bag with the flour and make sure chicken is throughly coated by shaking bag and reaching in to turn pieces around in bag. You may want to wear latex gloves when breading the chicken because after a lot of dipping the chicken you may begin to develop a coating on your hands that can really stick.

Put flour-coated chicken into a large bowl or pan and refrigerate so the flour is sticking firmly to the chicken by the time you are ready to start frying. Leave it that way for an hour or longer. (Can do it overnight if you want to prepare in advance of cooking.

When ready to fry, heat cooking oil long enough so that if you throw a few drops of water into the pan the drops will pop. Use a good deep pan if possible.

Begin putting in the pieces of chicken leaving enough room for each to fit comfortably in the pan. Keep turning them over and checking for nice, golden brown color (or darker if you like 'em really well done.) I usually do a massive quantity. It's great eaten hot but cold works too. And it freezes wonderfully if you want to put some away for another time. I do it with skin on chicken parts and love it when it gets good and crusty. Yum.

Also serve this with a big everything salad and sparkling wine.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:43:46 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline leese43

« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2010, 12:51:01 pm »

Oops..sorry about that, I usually quarter them and throw them in. Also score the legs a couple times..almost to the bone and the longer you marinate the better.

Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:53:38 pm by leese43 »
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2010, 01:05:41 am »
There are notorious cases of wildly incorrect ingredient amounts that ended in disaster and embarrassing erratum slips having to be inserted into finished books.
if my first attempt at pumpkin pie with crumble streusel topping goes okay, and the first attempt at butternut squash soup doesn't kill us, I'll post those recipes. The butternut squash cake with maple/pecan icing that I made a couple wks ago turned out well, so I have high hopes. ;D

pumpkin pie with streusel topping

butternut squash soup

butternut squash cake with maple/pecan/cream cheese icing
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
lemon bars
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2010, 01:28:27 am »
i do have a two recipes worth posting right away.

one, for my friend JeffInNYC, is for lemon bars:

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 lemons, juiced

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2.In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
3.Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/12 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
4.Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool.
5.When cooled, sprinkle lightly with sifted powdered sugar and store in the refrigerator
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2010, 01:36:30 am »
the other is for Amish Friendship Bread. I used to have a starter for this while I was living in OH and made muffins every 10 days for a couple years. (search for "Amish friendship" and "leatherman' and you'll see all the times I talked about them LOL) Not only did my friends love them, but I got better treatment for my partner while he was in the hospital in the oncology ward after I delivered batches of muffins every couple of weeks to the nurses. LOL I gave a batch to my doctor every Christmas, and took  bunches home to NC for the holidays. The last batch I made, before giving away my starter, went to my doctor just before I left his office for my final appt with him and moved down to SC. I just put together a new starter today and will be back in the muffin baking business soon. LOL

Amish Friendship Bread
Beginning with a starter amount of batter which you "feed" over a course of several days, you are able to bake a loaf or muffins every 10 days. Keeping a portion of the batter to start the next cycle, there's always some leftover to pass out to friends.

If you don't have access to a starter batch of batter, you can start your own.

Making your own starter - Active Dry Yeast Method
2 cups Warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 packet (or 1 tablespoon) Active dry yeast
2 cups All-Purpose flour

Into a clean, 2-quart glass or ceramic bowl, jar or crock, pour the water. Dissolve first the sugar, and then the yeast. Gradually, stir in the flour. Cover the container with a clean cloth (not plastic wrap or waxed paper -- you want the air to be able to get through) and put it in a warm place (between 80 and 85 degrees, ideally). The mixture will start to "work" almost immediately with small bubbles forming on the surface. Stir it once per day and, in three to five days, the bubbling will subside. Give it a good, healthy sniff and, when it has a clean, yeasty, sour smell, it's ready. Give it a final stir (it should have the consistency of pancake batter), cover loosely and refrigerate. The first time you make a cake with this traditional starter, it won't be quite as sweet as it will be the second time. You can either add a bit more sugar to the cake batter to compensate or try it as is.

You can just let the container of batter sit at room temperature normally. However, if the ambient temperature gets too hot and you might be afraid of the batter spoiling, store it in your refrigerator. Just remember to let it warm up to room temperature before baking with it, or feeding it. Also allow it to sit out after feeding until it gets bubbly once again before putting it back into the refrigerator.

Feed the starter you don't use in the cake with equal parts of milk, sugar and flour, enough just for you. Or, in friendship spirit, make enough to divide and share.If you give some away, remember to feed your starter so you'll always have the two cups you need for the recipe and a cup left over to grow some more.
---------------------------

Amish Friendship Bread Instructions

1) Do NOT use any type of metal spoon or bowl for mixing
2) Do not refrigerate
3) If air gets in the bag, let it out
4) It is normal to raise, bubble and ferment

Day  1: Do nothing
Day  2: Mush the bag
Day  3: Mush the bag
Day  4: Mush the bag
Day  5: Mush the bag
Day  6: add to the bag: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk,
        and mush the bag
Day  7: Mush the bag
Day  8: Mush the bag
Day  9: Mush the bag
Day 10: Follow these baking instructions:

1) pour the entire contents of the bag into a non-metal bowl
      2) add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk
      3) Measure out 2 separate batters of 1 cup each into
         1 gallon ziploc bags. Keep a starter for yourself and give
         the other 1 to a friend along with a copy of this recipe.
         (Be sure to date the bags!)
      4) preheat the oven to 325
      5) to the remaining batter in the bowl, ADD:

(dry items)
         2 tbsp cinnamon
         1 1/2 tsp baking powder
         1/2 tsp baking soda
         1/2 tsp salt
         2 cups flour
         1 large box instant vanilla pudding

(wet items)
         3 eggs
         1/2 cup milk
         2 tsp vanilla
         1 cup of oil
         (or 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)

6) mix separately 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 tsp cinnamon
      7) grease 2 large loaf pans;
         dust pans with half of cinnamon/sugar mixture
      8) pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and
         sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the
         top of both pans of batter
      9) bake 1 hour. Cool until the bread loosens from the pan
         evenly after about 10 mins. Turn out onto serving plate.
         Serve hot or cold.

To bake as muffins: fill cups 3/4ths full. bake for 20 mins. Stick with a knife to check doneness. Use a large spoon to remove asap from pan. Makes approx. 2 dozen muffins.

Additional ingredients:
follow recipe as normal except save 1/2 cup of dry ingredients, use this to cover 1 cup of raisins, nuts, dried cherries, cranberries, etc. before mixing into batter.

Lemon muffins
delete cinnamon
substitute lemon pie filling for vanilla pudding
substitute lemon extract for vanilla
additional items: 1 cup tart dried cranberries, 1/2 cup coconut, 1/2 cup walnuts (or instead of fruit/coconut, add 2 tbsp poppy seeds)
extra: powdered sugar icing

Orange muffins
delete cinnamon
substitute orange extract for vanilla
additional items: 1 cup tart dried cranberries, 1/2 cup coconut, 1/2 cup walnuts

Chocolate muffins
delete or reduce cinnamon
substitute chocolate pudding for vanilla pudding
additional items: 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup coconut, 1/2 cup walnuts; mini-marshmallows?
extra: powdered sugar or powdered sugar icing

Thanksgiving Pumpkin/cranberry muffins
substitute pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon
substitute pumpkin for oil
additional items: 1 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 cup walnuts
extra: cream cheese icing

Christmas Fruitcake muffins
additional items: 1 1/2 cups candied fruit, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup walnuts
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2010, 01:37:21 am »
Yabba-Dabba-Do Squares

Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles

Melted Marshmellows or that Marshmellow Fluff stuff

Yum!

Ted's Alfredo Sauce:

Quart of heavy whipping cream
2 sticks of butter, however I reduce to 1 and a half
Real Garlic, salt and pepper to taste
I add fresh mushrooms

That simple

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2010, 02:22:21 am »
Ted's Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

Box of Spice cake--follow box directions
Fold in half can of Real Pumpkin Puree
Sprinkle in Pumpkin Pie Spice to cover mixture
Usually have to bake 10 mins longer due to Pumpkin Puree

Icing

2 pkgs of Cream Cheese
2 sticks of butter
16oz of Powdered Sugar
Tbsp of real vanilla
Mix till blended

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »
Here's a rough breakdown of what we have so far. We have approx. 70 recipes. While we could use more submissions in ANY category we are a tad bit light in the Veggies, Salads, and Drinks categories (*cough* only 3 drink recipes from this group?)

Please more recipes!

Main Dishes /Entrees:
Hot Game Alcohol Main Course from Australia, Hummus, baked ham with maple mustard sauce, cornbread casserole, Cube Steaks w/Mushroom Gravy, Mexican Steak Millanesa, Summer Bacon Cheeseburgers , Chasens Chili ,Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Edy's Fried Chicken, Porcupine Meatballs, Red Beans and Sausage, Roast Chicken, Crockpot Chili, Coke Roast, easy Beef Stroganoff, Jamaican Curried Lamb, Hot turkey sandwiches and mashed potatoes, One pan chicken and stuffing bake, Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing, Linguine Alle Vongole, Classic shepherd's pie, Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta , Bourbon Chicken Recipe ,Short Ribs With Sauce

Veggies:
Braised Red Cabbage, Potato & Onion Latkes, Green bean casserole, Crock Pot Scalloped Potatos, Coated Baked VEggies

Soups/Sauces:
Kangaroo Tail Soup, Ted's Alfredo Sauce, Casey's Killer BBQ Sauce, Fresh Cranberry Chutney, Kraft Honey Hickory Smoke barbecue sauce, black bean corn salsa , Salmon/Fish Sauce, Home made chicken gravy, crock pot potato soup, Quick Creamy Tomato Soup, Taco Soup, Baked Potato Soup (Copycat of Tony Roma's), Olive Garden Spaghetti Sauce, Butternut Squash Soup

Salads:
Bean and Bacon Coleslaw, BBQ Salad\,Pesto salmon and pasta salad, Carrots with Tahini Dressing, Massaged kale salad with roasted butternut squash, Panera BRead BBQ salad, Romaine Salad

Appetizers/Snacks:
bhelpuri, Mexican Cheese Fondue Recipe , Herb and Cream Cheese Fondue Recipe, Classic Cheese Fondue, couch potato wedges, Fried Tomatoes

BReads:
Amish Friendship Bread, Cornbread healthy version., Monkeybread, Buttermilk Cornbread, Baked French Toast, DUmpling REcipe

Desserts:
Lamingtons, Lemon bars, Ted's Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing,Tomato Soup Cake, Baklava, Buckeyes, Marijuana Sheet Cake, sweets and grapes , Lemonade Scones, Tequila Mayonnaise Cake, Spiced Applesauce, Crock Pot Dump Cake, Carrot cake, Butternut Squash Cake with maple/pecan icing, Pumpkin Pie with streusel topping and glaze

Drinks:
Kahlua, Cousin Irma's Sangria, Limeade with a touch of Mint

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:04:54 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:48 pm »
Desserts:
don't forget Teddy's Yabba-Dabba-Do Squares ;) cause they sound really good. I plan to try them once we eat through our two pumpkin pies. And since we polished off a whole pie last night, I should be making the YDD squares in another day or two.  :D

Yabba-Dabba-Do Squares

1/4 c. butter
1 (10 oz.) pkg. marshmallows or 4 c. miniature marshmallows
6 c. Fruity Pebbles cereal

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted; remove from heat. Add cereal and stir until well coated. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. When cool, cut into squares.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2010, 10:46:16 pm »
Fruity Pebbles and marshmallows?  I'll never find my way out of the trailer park.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 10:56:45 pm »
Not sure anyone else will like these, but I do  :-\ One of the few things I "cook" despite the fact that they are a pain in the butt to make

Snack/Nachos

Bag or two of Doritoes
Package of Mild Mexican Velveeta
Can of Frito Lay Bean Dip

You assemble them one chip at a time..

Cube the velveeta into "micro" cubes...
Spread a small dab of bean dip on each Dorito chip
Place a cube of cheese on top of the bean dip on each chip
Layer on a platter

Nuke in the microwave for a minute or two...Long enough for the bean dip to heat up and the cheese to melt; not too long because you don't want the chips to get too soft

Serve with jalepeno slices, salsa, guac...

Probably sounds hokey, but they really are good  ;)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 11:00:21 pm »
Fruity Pebbles and marshmallows?  I'll never find my way out of the trailer park.

Ahhh, yum. Fruity Pebbles and Marshmallows...The southerners Creme Brulee.

Speaking of Creme Brullee , MissP don't you have a recipe for White Truffles or some other haughty dessert you can share??
\
-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »
When are one of you Texans gonna post a good Salsa and a guacamole recipe?? ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:26 pm »

Speaking of Creme Brullee , MissP don't you have a recipe for White Truffles or some other haughty dessert you can share??
\
-Will

I use cookbooks for everything -- do I need to go find something and copypasta it?  So involved.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2010, 11:15:16 pm »
When are one of you Texans gonna post a good Salsa and a guacamole recipe?? ;)

Yes of course, look for Salsa, Guacamole and maybe even Trash Can Tamales to appear shortly.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2010, 11:17:23 pm »
I use cookbooks for everything -- do I need to go find something and copypasta it?  So involved.

Whatever it takes. The cookbook would not be complete without some input from the MissP. btw, I already have the "Limeade with a Touch of Mint" attributed to you.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2010, 11:29:11 pm »
btw, I already have the "Limeade with a Touch of Mint" attributed to you.

wat

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:27 pm »
wat

Yeah you submitted a recipe for a Limeade with mint previously, it's in one of the older recipe threads. It sounds delish.

W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline leese43

« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »
Yeah you submitted a recipe for a Limeade with mint previously, it's in one of the older recipe threads. It sounds delish.

W

There must have been something else in that limeade if Miss P doesn't remember it. ;)
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2010, 01:18:41 pm »
At the risk of getting laughed at for this simple recipe I will share , its simple but so damn tasty .

Resotto style potatoes

5 or 6 medium potatoes
beef broth
chopped scallions
sour cream
fresh Parmesan cheese shredded

Boil cubed potatoes in salted beef broth until well done . drain but do not mash .
serve hot sprinkled with cheese, scallions and sour cream topping .
any other baked potato toppings can be added if you desire .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.