Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:55:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 267
Total: 267

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lyrica  (Read 7347 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Lyrica
« on: August 06, 2010, 07:36:41 pm »
Hey all, my doctor is switching me from Neurontin (which I've been on for years), to Lyrica.  I was wondering if any of you has ever been on this med, and what can be expected?  I know we all differ, but I'm just wonderin'.  Thanks in advance. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Lyrica
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »
Hi Betty,

About 6 years ago, my doctor suggested the use of this drug, somewhere in my future, if my neuropathy was to get worse. At that time I was on Neurontin, but was not really getting any benefit from it.  Also, it was around that time, when the neuropathy, seemed to have stopped progressing,  so I never had to have Lyrica prescribed for me.

Why does your doctor want you to switch? 

That's about all I can tell you about it.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:57:29 am »
Why does your doctor want you to switch? 

I told him I have trouble with nausea, and light-headedness, and he thinks the Neurontin is partly contributing to that.  He thinks the Lyrica will have less side effects. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:28:03 am »
I was on Lyrica in combination with cymbalta for over a year. After a while I stopped taking lyrica but I'm continuing on the cymbalta. I was feeling a little goofy as I was taking 150 mg/day.

It helped allot but I was feeling off mentally. Things are good now on the cymalta. it helps a little with the neuropathy pain, but my feet still feel numb and get inter-mittant pain. It didn't help the cramping , however, at all.

Just be careful and pay close attention to how you are feeling mentally. I had a friend who took it and didn't know who his roomate was of 5 years.

Best of luck.
Positive since 1985

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:17:10 pm »
I told him I have trouble with nausea, and light-headedness, and he thinks the Neurontin is partly contributing to that.  He thinks the Lyrica will have less side effects.  

Hi Betty,

If he feels the Lyrica will have less side effects, but be equally effective, I would switch,( or at least give it a try).  I know it's more expensive though, if you have to pay out of pocket.

HUGS----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:34 am »
Ray that is an excellent point about the $$$$

My insurance would not cover it, a month supply was over $200. I used DR. samples the entire time I was on it.
Positive since 1985

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:44 am »
Well, the insurance plan I have through Medicare (AARP) covered the whole prescription.  Believe me, I feel extremely fortunate.  Of course, I always get butterflies near the end of the year, wondering what next year's coverage will be like.

Anyway, I'll probably start the Lyrica next weekend.  I had already poured out a week's worth of meds, and hate to have to go back through to change one thing.  That sounds lazy, I know.

Jeffrey, I will definitely watch my mental health while taking the Lyrica.  If it's the same thing as Neurontin, with just a little tweak, then I shouldn't have problems with it.  I've been on Neurontin for years, and don't have the problems with it I hear other people complain of.

Thanks, guys.

Offline debsd222

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:54:25 am »
Hi, I know this group is only long term survivors but I come in here sometimes to see what I can learn from you all. I have been taking lyrica for over 2 years for post-shingles nerve pain. I definitely feel kind of  "out of it" at times and have alot of trouble with short term memory problems. I try to keep the dose at the lowest possible to relieve some of the pain (75mg) but not make me feel completely goofy. I was taking 100mg for a while but could barely remember what I did the day before. I take it along with pamelor and the combo seems to help more than anything else we've tried, including all the heavy painkillers.
April 08 3 month bout w/ shingles, ongoing nerve pain
Dec 08 pos  cd4 200 %8  VL 18,000
Feb 09 started sustiva, truvada -allergic to sustiva, hospital 4 days.
March 09 started truvada, reyataz and norvir
March 09  cd4 279  % 12 VL 10,000
April 09 cd4 327  %12  VL 300
Aug 09 cd4 392  %16  Vl undetectable
Dec 09 hospital pneumonia 6 days
Dec 09 cd4 462  %20  VL undetectable
Mar 10 cd4 629 27% VL undetectable
July 9, 2010 cd4 505  21% VL undetectable
Oct 2010 cd4 689  22%  VL 64
Nov 2010  cd4689  22%  VL  UD
May 2013 cd4 759. 29%. VL. UD

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:51:26 am »
sorry for the late response but, I have several friends who take that due to fibromyalgia. Two of them have said that using it has helped tremendously and they occasionally have some spacey /foggy spells. The other one is completely against using "meds" and says she can't stand the side-effects (but the "natural remedies" are certainly not working).

I hope this works for you!

hugs,
Sharkie

Offline texafornian

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
I've been taking lyrica for a little over a year now,doesn't seem to help my neuropathy,but it sure helps me sleep at night--only take it at night--don't like to feel all groggy throughout the day,though I'm sure you could get used to it--like any other drug.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:41:56 pm »
I've been taking lyrica for a little over a year now,doesn't seem to help my neuropathy,but it sure helps me sleep at night--only take it at night--don't like to feel all groggy throughout the day,though I'm sure you could get used to it--like any other drug.

by the way texafornian,   welcome to the forum!
why don't you start a new thread to introduce yourself?

Sharkie

Offline texafornian

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:55:03 pm »
thanks sharky,I'll try that--I'm a free member,is it possible for me to start a thread? Oh, and by the way,can't figure out how to attach my profile pic. to the forum blogs--can you help me on this? I would appreciate it,thanks.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:23:13 pm »
thanks sharky,I'll try that--I'm a free member,is it possible for me to start a thread? Oh, and by the way,can't figure out how to attach my profile pic. to the forum blogs--can you help me on this? I would appreciate it,thanks.

the poz personals is separate from the aidsmed as far as this is NOT a dating site.  The forums are free.  There should be a button at the top to start a new topic in Long Term Survivors.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.