Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 156
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: U.S. HIV Travel Ban Under Review  (Read 14482 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
U.S. HIV Travel Ban Under Review
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:54:19 pm »
You can take action about this!  Check out Tim Horn's thread on this in the Activism Forum:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16944.0

Peter

Offline keyite

Re: U.S. HIV Travel Ban Under Review
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:57:31 pm »
Well, given that Bush committed to this change almost a year ago it's certainly not before time! ::)

I skimmed through most of the legalese in the PDF Tim linked to, and I suppose it's a tiny step in the right direction but not really sure there's much to be excited about. Okay, you can apply for a categorical visa and presumably it will be granted if you're otherwise admissible. You won't, however, be able to use the Visa Waiver Program which HIV- visitors from EU and other select countries can use.

So with the changes you must apply for the categorical visa well in advance of your trip, with all the inconvenience and paperwork that entails. You obviously also need to disclose your status to US authorities (and trust this information will be used responsibly).

If I have understood the proposals correctly, then I predict those of us in the EU will continue to either not go in the first place or risk using the Visa Waiver Program and simply not disclose. The interesting part will be how they'll be handling those that don't apply for the categorical waiver beforehand and are found with meds in their luggage by customs. I'm guessing it'll be a case of instant deportation, just as it has been so far.

What's really needed is for Congress to repeal this ridiculous and largely unenforceable ban altogether. 

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:36:06 pm »
Keyite:

You're reading of this is correct (I'm still sifting through the language myself).

For HIV-positive passport holders from one of the 27 'visa waiver' countries, an 'HIV waiver' application must still be sumbmitted -- and a visa granted -- before entry into the United States can be guaranteed. Personally, I'm not seeing how this streamlines anything for those visiting from the 27 countries in the U.S. visa waiver program.

Like you, I'm not reading any major improvements with the proposed rule. While it seems to suggest that HIV-positive foreigners are "guaranteed" entry into the United States, it still requires paperwork and "proving one's self" to the visa-issuing consulate -- and let's face it, these places are still staffed by individuals with their own prejudices, biases and ignorance. In fact, the proposed rule doesn't strike me as anything of major significance... it's simply a repackaging of policies and procedures already in place.       

It's interesting to note that the U.S. Citizinship and Immigration Service only lists nine "communicable diseases of public health significance," six of which are sexually transmitted: HIV, syphilis, chancroid, gonorrhea, granuloma inguinale, and lymphogranuloma (SARS, TB and leprosy are the other three).

The key point here is that the Department of Homeland Security is now 'accepting comments' from the general public regarding the proposed rule. I certainly plan to state that the proposed rule doesn't go nearly far enough.

Tim Horn

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:52:44 pm »
One of my most enjoyable Stateside moments was at the offices of a certain Foundation where the aunt of a Dep Sec for State berated him publically over the Gvmt's AIDS policies, especially the travel ban, and when asked by some officer (possibly security related) to stop said sommat like "Don't tell me to be quiet, I've seen him in diapers".

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline newt

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:53:52 pm »
This taught me it is important to remember the differnce between the American Gvmt and Americans  :)

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:02:45 pm »
For those who haven't seen it, Iggy highlight's an even larger endeavor currently under way by Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California. In short, she is proposing legislation that would repeal the formal ban and return the authority to the Secretary of Health and Human Services to make a determination regarding HIV status as a 'communicable disease of public health significance.' The bill would then require the Secretary to undertake a review of all existing travel and immigration policies regarding HIV, which would be open to public comment for 30 days, and report to Congress on whether to maintain the ban by regulation or remove it based on a public health analysis.

The proposed rule being discussed here and Congresswoman Lee's proposed legislation are different -- both will require public comment (and support), with the former now very much open for discussion.

Cheers,

Tim

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:04:42 pm »
keyite and tim
that was how i read it too. im certainly not impressed.

we are still specifically exempted from the visa waiver programme by virtue of our poz status. basically you still have to out yourself, and amongst other things, convince them youre not gonna shag anyone. charming.

as far as im concerned this doesnt make any difference to me. i think it is unreasonable to expect us to declare our status to the US govt for whatever use they make of it.

The interesting part will be how they'll be handling those that don't apply for the categorical waiver beforehand and are found with meds in their luggage by customs. I'm guessing it'll be a case of instant deportation, just as it has been so far.
my thoughts exactly

so when all you lovely US citizens write to them (hint hint) you need to stress this fact and that it isnt enough. that will certainly be my feedback. as tim points out, what barbara lee is proposing is the outcome we want.
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 03:22:32 pm »
I'm pleased this sounds like it's back on the agenda  :)  I just hope Barbara Lee's proposals are considered I still have no intention of disclosing my HIV status to the US Government!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline keyite

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 03:24:43 pm »
Thanks Tim,

Lobbying is definitely a good thing, but isn't the problem here that the Department of Homeland Security doesn't have the authority to ignore the ban? Reading the doc it sounds like they have gone out of their way to make sure they can 'shoehorn' in some 'streamlining' and yet still be seen to defend the changes as fully compliant with the long-standing ban. It is hard to see how they could ease it any further and still be able to make that claim. My fear here is that DHS will dismiss out of hand any submissions they deem to be lobbying for changes that would not be compliant with the ban.

I might be misunderstanding US governance here, but it just strikes me that lobbying Congress is the more productive route. The Barbara Lee proposal definitely sounds promising.

Like Englishgirl I'm hoping as many as possible on the other side of the pond will be lobbying for this... ;) 

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 04:12:03 pm »
Keyite:

You're absolutely correct. The Department of Homeland Security is required by law to uphold the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) fo 1952 that was amended in 1987 to include HIV. In turn, sending along a note during this public comment period that says nothing more than "repeal the law" will, most likely, be dismissed immediately.

I guess I'm a believer in taking baby steps here. A few things I'm personally going to push for with respect to proposed rule:

1) The development of "HIV visa" application forms that differ from the I-601 "waiver of excludability" used to screen foreigners with other communicable diseases.
2) The development of a centralized, U.S.-based office staffed by individuals who have undergone extensive HIV training to review all applications (thereby limiting the risk of prejudice and bias among untrained staff at U.S. consulates around the world).
3) Eliminate the need for in-person interviews for HIV-positive people in all countries, regardless of whether or not the country is participating in the U.S. visa waiver program.
4) Strict policies and procedures to safeguard confidential medical information.
5) Strengthening of the "Specific Conditions of Admission, Control and Return" (Part IX.B of the proposed rule) language so that "controlled state of HIV infection" is not meant to apply to individuals who may have detectable viral loads or are not currently on antiretroviral therapy.

... and I'm sure other issues will come to me.

Simply because I (or anybody else) weighs in on the proposed rule does not eliminate the right to also weigh in if/when the public comment period proposed by Congresswoman Lee actually comes to be. While I do plan to stress, in my letter, that an overhaul of the criteria specified in INA is very much needed, I also plan to spend some time reviewing the proposed rule that is currently on the table. I've come to realize over the years that an all-or-nothing approach to HIV policies and procedures doesn't work. So I'll do what I can now... and then again later.

Tim 

Offline keyite

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:19:20 pm »
Tim, that makes a lot of sense - much appreciated it is too...  :)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 09:33:09 pm »
Tim and/or Peter

I'm curious about several things. When you write your letter, will you sign it with your professional signature block or sans title?

Will you write an article about this for POZ? And, if so, will you include ways in which people may write to Congresswoman Lee, DHS, etc?

Do you happen to know if there are any, many?, major names in HIV research, medicine, pharma, etc., who are forum members? Whether there are, or are not, I think "we" should encourage them to write Lee and others to get this greater, critical attention.

Closer to home, during my next visit with my medical team, I intend to share Iggy's template letter, and other pertinent posts and ask that my ID doc and nurses, and the team's MSWs, peer counselors, etc. consider writing.

And, I plan to share this with fellow CAB board members and ASO board members to see what kind of campaign we can start.

A POZ article could be a prime location for encouraging such direct solicitations for participation. Would POZ consider writing to the NYTimes regarding this topic? Good ink for myriad reasons.

Em

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 11:25:14 pm »
The proposed amendment is ridiculous, because it's giving the US more personal data that is supposed to be confidential in the US but is not if you come from another country. Doesn't make sense.

What Tim is pointing out is that we have the opportunity to tell the congress representative how this should be handled, and this is great, we haven't had the opportunity to raise our voices and tell congress what we think is best for hiv positive travelers in the US of A.

So yeah, this proposal is stupid, and yes, we have the opportunity to make it right. So email/mail your rep, your ambassador. There are some examples of letters that are very good that have been posted in other threads.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 08:18:17 am »
Em:

I know that the POZ.com team is planning on generating a "Top Stories" news piece today regarding the DHS proposed rule and the open comment period. As for POZ magazine, the problem is that Regan and others operate on a very long lead time. The gang is now working on an issue to be published this spring; it won't come out until long after the DHS proposed rule public comment period has been closed. I do plan to speak with Regan about publishing a "special report" on POZ.com about the DHS proposed rule and Barbara Lee's challenge to the actual statute.

Of course, anyone here who is feeling particularly mobilized shouldn't wait until POZ has written its piece -- with write-in instructions -- to say what's on their mind. There are instructions in the documentation I linked to (in the Activism forum) to comment on the DHS proposed rule, along with reams information provided by Iggy for those looking to get involved in the much larger legislative effort.

Milker:

What I'm pointing out is that there's a public comment period on the proposed rule from DHS. If you submit comments via the correct channels to express your views and concerns regarding the proposed rule -- and these channels are only open until December 6th -- they won't be read by a member of Congress. For the most part, this is purely administrative maneuvering within the framework of U.S. law as written. While you can certainly use this 30-day "open-ear" time period to let DHS know that the whole damn statute needs to be overhauled, there's good chance that your comment will be binned given that the DHS is, as keyite says, attempting to "shoehorn in some streamlining" without breaking the law. While I do think that such administrative maneuvering doesn't go nearly far enough, I do think it's worth taking advantage of the proposed rule to make it easier for HIV-positive people wanting/needing to visit the U.S.

To be clear, I'm very much oppossed to the HIV ban that will remain in place, no matter how far-reaching the DHS policies and procedures are stretched. Personally, however, I do think it's worth working within the process now under way -- but I certainly don't expect everyone to see eye-to-eye with me on this. Here's hoping that Barbara Lee's proposal takes flight and that we'll be given with yet another "open-ear" period to express, in no uncertain terms, why the statute needs to be amended altogether. Perhaps Iggy can find out a bit more about where things currently stand with this proposal so that we everyone in the Forums -- and elsewhere -- can contact their representative to support this effort.

Tim Horn

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 08:50:51 am »
Of course, anyone here who is feeling particularly mobilized shouldn't wait until POZ has written its piece -- with write-in instructions -- to say what's on their mind. There are instructions in the documentation I linked to (in the Activism forum) to comment on the DHS proposed rule, along with reams information provided by Iggy for those looking to get involved in the much larger legislative effort.

Thank you for your reply.Totally understood. I'm well past Iggy's post. My letter's already written and mailed.

I wanted to know if POZ intended to cover the issue (and by that time, it may well be that writing instructions are still timely and relevant).  I had also asked if your letter would be a personal or professional letter. My intent was to know if anyone would write as representing POZ, whether you, Peter, Regan, all three, or no one.

As there was no response to my question about member professionals whose letter-writing and phone calls could make a difference, I will create a thread inviting such folks to participate.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:45 am »
I wanted to know if POZ intended to cover the issue (and by that time, it may well be that writing instructions are still timely and relevant).

I thought I answered this -- I apologize if I wasn't clear. Yes, POZ.com does plan to cover this today as a Top Stories "blurb" accessible through the POZ.com homepage. It will contain information about the proposed rule, a link to the proposed rule, and a mention of the fact that a public comment period is open until December 6th (pointing out that instructions for submitting comments are found in the Federal Register description of the proposed rule).  

I had also asked if your letter would be a personal or professional letter. My intent was to know if anyone would write as representing POZ, whether you, Peter, Regan, all three, or no one.

Yes, I will be working with others in Smart + Strong to send a letter on behalf of the company. I will also be working with the AIDS Treatment Activist Coalition on this issue as well, hopefully with another letter coming from them.

As there was no response to my question about member professionals whose letter-writing and phone calls could make a difference, I will create a thread inviting such folks to participate.

I'm not aware of many "major names in HIV research, medicine, pharma, etc" participating in the Forums, at least not openly. Of course, this goes beyond the Forums. There's no harm in members here contacting HIV leaders they do know -- including those connected with their local AIDS service organizations -- to make this issue be known and to act accordingly.

Tim

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:33 am »
Thanks so much, Tim. I should have gone back and edited that paragraph. Doh! Yes, you had more than adequately addressed my initial question regarding POZ' coverage.

I've asked Iggy to work with me to create an invite thread to HIV-related pro's that will make it a snap to use to correspond with the subcommittee members, local reps, etc. And, of course, everyone else can use it, too. 

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 11:01:24 am »
Following on from the good work of Iggy, Em & Tim, I’ve got a list of contacts for UK citizens and also for Canadians.

FOR UK CITIZENS:
Suggested minimum effort:
1.   Write to your MP
2.   Write to the PM
3.   Write to Lord Chris Smith
4.   Go on to the THT website and fill out their e-petitions

To find & contact your MP:

http://www.writetothem.com/
Includes Find your MP service that enables constituencies to be identified from postcodes

or
http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hcio.cfm
Includes Find your MP service that enables constituencies to be identified from postcodes
Lists of Members of Parliament, including e-mail and website links where available

To contact the PM:

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page3.asp

To find & contact a Lord:
List of Lords:
http://www.parliament.uk/directories/directories.cfm
How to contact a Lord:
http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/members/lords_contact.cfm

Contact details for Lord Chris Smith
http://biographies.parliament.uk/parliament/default.asp?id=25312

THT campaign to End US Entry Restrictions

(and while you’re at it why not take part in their other campaigns too:)
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1042,0,-html

FOR CANADIANS:
Sorry I don’t know much about your govt, but it appears that you should be contacting your MP & Senator. This site appears to be a good start:
http://canada.gc.ca/directories/direct_e.html
Includes search for MP & MS by name & constituency

CONTENT OF THE LETTERS:
The main points you want to be including in your letter have already been outlined by the others above, but key points are that the proposed amendments go nowhere near far enough – poz people are still discriminated against. Barbara Lee’s bill should be supported as it is superior to the suggestions currently being considered.

Additionally, as Tim said, we should be asking for:
1.   The development of "HIV visa" application forms that differ from the I-601 "waiver of excludability" used to screen foreigners with other communicable diseases.
2.   The development of a centralized, U.S.-based office staffed by individuals who have undergone extensive HIV training to review all applications (thereby limiting the risk of prejudice and bias among untrained staff at U.S. consulates around the world).
3.   Eliminate the need for in-person interviews for HIV-positive people in all countries, regardless of whether or not the country is participating in the U.S. visa waiver program.
4.   Strict policies and procedures to safeguard confidential medical information.
5.   Strengthening of the "Specific Conditions of Admission, Control and Return" (Part IX.B of the proposed rule) language so that "controlled state of HIV infection" is not meant to apply to individuals who may have detectable viral loads or are not currently on antiretroviral therapy.
6.   The inclusion of people of positive HIV status in the current visa waiver programme (amendment of the legislation and the I-94W form to exclude HIV from the list of communicable diseases).

Anyone who doesn’t feel they have the time to prepare their own letter, PM me and I will send you over one to cut and paste.

Additional suggestion:
Why not ask your friends to send letters as well? Surely our friends both positive and negative could be adding their voices…
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 05:47:01 pm »
Thank you Peter, Regan and Tim for using POZ to garner attention for the HIV Travel Ban legislation issue. I just got my e-mail alert directing me to the site. Several of us are busily working off-line, and internationally, on this issue. This is such an important topic that affects everyone, both positive and negative.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 04:04:25 pm »
I'm pleased this sounds like it's back on the agenda  :)  I just hope Barbara Lee's proposals are considered I still have no intention of disclosing my HIV status to the US Government!

Hello all,

I just thought I should post this for people to read.  A couple of days after I sent the THT Letter onto my local MP I received this response:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your letter on US entry restrictions for people living with HIV/AIDS.

Following receipt of your letter, I will write the the Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, to ask him to use his influence to urge the US government to accept the Bill.

If I can be of any further assistance on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

John Leech MP
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline keyite

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 09:26:01 am »
Just came across this Aidsmap story and thought it gave a good summary of the practical implications of the categorical waiver as proposed:

Effectively, the proposals suggest that HIV-positive visitors (including people who change planes in the US on their way to another country) may be allowed to enter the US for a maximum of 30 days in any twelve months under the following conditions:

* They are aware that they are HIV-positive and declare this to the US consulate or embassy.

* They apply for a B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourist) visa in person at an United States consulate or embassy.

* They are not “currently exhibiting symptoms indicative of an active, contagious infection associated with acquired immune deficiency syndrome”.

* They are “aware of, [have] been counselled on, and understand the nature, severity, and the communicability” of HIV.

* They provide adequate assurance that they will “comply with medical advice against engaging in behaviour that would risk transmitting the infection to others”.

* They have in their possession, or access to “as medically appropriate, an adequate supply of antiretroviral drugs for the anticipated stay in the United States and possess sufficient assets, such as insurance that is accepted in the United Sates, to cover any medical care that the applicant may require in the event of illness.”

The story also touches on China's intention to lift restrictions. Well done China! :D

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 10:00:44 am »
just wondering, has anyone ever been asked if they have HIV when entering the US?
Has anyone ever had security go through their meds and have a problem?
If HIV is classified as a STD in this process do US citizens who are HIV pos lose what little power they have in begging for aid?

Should US accept people for US citizenship who are HIV positive and have no income or health insurance?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:17 am »
If HIV is classified as a STD in this process do US citizens who are HIV pos lose what little power they have in begging for aid?

Should US accept people for US citizenship who are HIV positive and have no income or health insurance?

All that sounds like material for a whole other thread there, Jack.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jack

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 10:13:06 am »
sorry. just wondering what everyone thought.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:49 am »
that's cool.  not saying it ain't worth discussing.  just maybe in a different thread.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline keyite

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 10:51:34 am »
just wondering, has anyone ever been asked if they have HIV when entering the US?

Yes, on the relevant visa waiver form I lied on the one occasion I've been to the US since diagnosis. As long as I'm not on meds I won't hesitate to do it again. That's one of the reasons why the ban is at best pointless.

Has anyone ever had security go through their meds and have a problem?

Yes, people have been detained, denied access to their meds and subsequently deported. I seem to recall reading in another thread that it's happened to someone on these forums too.

Erm, HIV is already classified as a STD? It is certainly its predominant mode of transmission. I fail to see the connection to bargaining position.

Actually this thread is about travel for business or tourist purposes and not immigration. But with respect to immigration I do think it is wrong to use HIV as a discriminator, just as it would be wrong to use, for example, diabetes or a history of cancer as a discriminator. The real point here is that the US won't accept HIV+ applicants for citizenship even if they are fully capable of looking after their own care, e.g. they have bags of money. It is a blanket ban and that plainly is wrong.

Offline jack

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 11:32:01 am »
I was just asking. I have never heard of anyone being detained or deported because they are HIV. I have never read in the newspaper of anyone deported or detained.
 I agree the ban is pointless. People have to realize how difficult it is for the government to change laws,it takes forever and people can not forget the atmosphere of fear when this ban was instituted.
I have traveled internationally quite often in past 20 years and have never seen anyone having their meds investigated on entry into the US. I have had my meds spread out over the table entering England and Scotland. Of course they were all in over the counter med bottles,so my fellow travelers thought they were vitamins. That was back in the 36 pill a day time period.

Offline keyite

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 12:31:03 pm »
People have to realize how difficult it is for the government to change laws,it takes forever and people can not forget the atmosphere of fear when this ban was instituted.

When China (a country not exactly known for its commitment to human rights) can figure it out then I'm sure it's not beyond the realms of possibility for the US to do the same... ;)

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:32 pm »
I know we've got multiple threads running on this topic, so I don't want to start a new one. 

But here's a great story from Doug Ireland in Gay City News (the leading NYC gay newspaper):

http://www.gaycitynews.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19044628

Peter

Offline Iggy

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 09:57:41 am »
Thank you for posting this, Peter.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 11:00:40 am »
Iggy and Peter

This is the same article I nested in the HIV Travel ban thread's initial post to serve as a backgrounder if someone wished to get up to speed quickly. I think it's excellent and it was timely. I was ready to post and bam, it was there!

Em

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
Em -- sorry for the double posting.  I knew that with all these travel ban threads going that someone had probably already posted this story, but I guess more the merrier, right?

Peter

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 11:41:14 am »
Why does this make me so angry?

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17461.0

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 12:22:40 pm »
Em -- sorry for the double posting.  I knew that with all these travel ban threads going that someone had probably already posted this story, but I guess more the merrier, right?

Peter

No need for apology, Peter! I viewed it as affirmation of the quality of the piece. It holds accuracy and attitude. Yes, the more the merrier!  Em

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 05:12:59 pm »
This press release just arrived in my inbox:

International Lesbian and Gay Association
30 Nov 07

HIV and mobility: Travel and residence regulations for HIV+ people

Dear friends, dear LBGT, Human Rights and HIV/Aids campaigners and
activists,

As a resource for travelers around the world, Karl Lemmen and Peter
Wiessner of the German AIDS Federation and European Aids Treatment Group
(EATG) and David Haerry (EATG) have put together Travel and Residence
Regulations for People with HIV and AIDS 2007, which is now available
online through ILGA.

This latest edition reflect the most up-to-date information available in
2007 and includes a specific section on entering the United States of
America in spite of state-sponsored discrimination still in vigor.

An online version in English is available on the website of the European
Aids Treatment Group at http://www.eatg.org/hivtravel/

PDF documents are available in the following languages: English, French,
German, Italian, Spanish at
http://doc.ilga.org/ilga/publications/publications_in_english/other_publications/travel_and_residence_regulations_for_people_with_hiv_and_aids_2007

4 things you can do:

- Send any correction or update to david@eatg.org

- Spread this information around you in your community, city, country

- Share your positive and negative experiences regarding travelling as an
HIV+ person. This information helps us provide practical information on how
to travel in spite of the various regulations.

- Send us feedback on your actions around this project to david@eatg.org

We hope you find this information useful and thank you for your
involvement.

Stephen Barris
International Lesbian and Gay Association, ILGA

David Haerry
European Aids Treatment Group, EATG

Peter Wiessner
German Aids Federation / European Aids Treatment Group, EATG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 05:15:19 pm »
Why does this make me so angry?

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17461.0

Not sure.  Why don't you tell us all?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 07:45:47 pm »
nevermind.

Mike M (continues to read PDF file)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 07:49:49 pm by mjmel »

Offline newt

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 07:48:36 am »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 08:22:06 am »
Grist, to be sure. We can do better in the care of detainees. Tylenol advised when vomiting blood? We citizens are perhaps unwittingly only a hair's breadth from the same.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.