Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:30:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 671
Total: 672

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I became a new mother yesterday afternoon  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
I became a new mother yesterday afternoon
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:01:46 pm »
My daughter brought this poor little orphan to me. Now I'm back on round the clock feedings. Haven't done that in 25 years!Who knew they made formula for these little fellers? (also for use with chipmunks,beavers, opossums, ferrets, puppies, and kittens)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:03:22 pm by Lisa »
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Lisa

Re: I became a new mother yesterday afternoon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:04:22 pm »
here's another view...... ;D

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:11:31 pm »
Now that is CUTE!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:14:02 pm »
OMG that is cute!  How old do you reckon he is?

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 06:18:31 pm »
he's a cutie!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 06:20:27 pm »
AWww how cute! What did you name him/her?
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Lisa

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:26:56 pm »
According to the growth charts I found, it appears the little tyke is at about four to five weeks old. Eyes are open, fur is full, umbilicus is healed, but still has difficulty holding his/her ittle head up. Poor little thing is awfully wobbly yet.
Oh yeah....teeth have erupted too, got a personal lessen this morning when the little bugger chomped me. I'm glad that she(I really think it is a girl though) has retained most of the wildness. I'm going to find a pair of gloves to use for our feedings. He/she did try to knaw on some walnuts I found around the kitchen.
I hope to rehab the little darlin, and allow it to return to the wild. Only four to eight weeks to go ......WWWWHHHHEEEEEEEEEE

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 06:27:29 pm »
So cute aren't they? We rescued a baby squirrel when we were living in Chicago.
Wilbur lived for 7 years. He died last year from old age. He wouldn't allow us to trim his nails during the last year of his life. Nails grew very long and he'd get caught up in his play sling. Then he'd panic and that was an ordeal!
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:29:20 pm by mjmel »

Offline Lisa

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:29:06 pm »
I am resisting the temptation Teresa, trying to not make a pet out of her.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 06:37:12 pm »
How do you rehab a baby? Maybe you could bring a tree branch in to house, put it in a pot or prop it in a corner, and hide some nuts in the top? Then you could take her outside and let her explore?  I have a feeling that even if she does get used to the outside, you're going to have a very frequent visitor!

Offline Lisa

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:55:50 pm »
Aside from the fact that she has some trouble holding her little head up, she climbs all over my hand already(and VERY quickly, I might add). In about another week or so, it will be appropriate to start introducing her to some branches, and limbs.
They call it rehab, but I am going to try and allow her to be as wild as possible. But she does need to still be fed about every two - three hours, and I have to handle her for that, because they should be in an upright position for feedings.
Thankfully she is almost right at the age for "self feeding" meaning, I can introduce natural foodstuffs to her. She did very well with the nuts, and seeds I placed for her....she's grasping the food with her paws, and trying to munch already...a very good sign.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:58:57 pm »
What does Sweetie make of this interloper?

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:00:35 pm »
Lotta work there and fun too. That furry litte bit sure did luck out with finding her way to you, Lisa. Enjoy, enjoy!

Oh yah, is there going to be sibling revelry there?
Andy Velez

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 07:04:19 pm »
 :)

Aaawwwww....Cute. Many years ago several of us kids befriended a baby squirrel. We were hand feeding it for a while ,until it was able to make it on its own. We had released it. It lived in the tree in the back yard. If you would stand with your back against the tree, and start tapping the top of your head, the squirell would come down the tree, and sit on our head or shoulders. Would let us walk around with it.

Ray :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:07:23 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Lisa

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 07:24:30 pm »
Yeah, I was really hoping that Sweetie would engage the little tyke, but instead, she thought I was gifting her with a live luncheon.  :o    Tried to take a chunk out of the little one the moment she was close enough. Oy! Sweetie time has to be carefully orchestrated around tyke time, and never the twixt shall meet.

PS- Did your little friend stay as friendly to humans over a long period? I'll stay in it for the long haul if need be, but I was just curious.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:26:20 pm by Lisa »

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 07:26:06 pm »
Lisa-

How adorable.  Unfotunately, though, it appears constipated, and perhaps you should give it a good hearty squeeze.

-joseph

btw, did you name it?

Offline Lisa

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 07:43:16 pm »
Funny you mention that J. At this stage of development, the caregiver is to "stimulate" the tyke with a Q tip, or cottonball at each feeding to encourage urination/defa.
And they do have problems with bloat. I kinda panicked when I read that, because I had actually given her a few drops of cows milk yesterday when Michelle first brought her over. According to my research, cows milk is a no-no.

Trying not to name her....... :-X

Offline Basquo

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 07:56:43 pm »
Yeah, I was really hoping that Sweetie would engage the little tyke, but instead, she thought I was gifting her with a live luncheon.  :o    Tried to take a chunk out of the little one the moment she was close enough. Oy! Sweetie time has to be carefully orchestrated around tyke time, and never the twixt shall meet.

Oh, the duality of ferrets!  I've never had one myself, but have been around them from time to time.  One that I knew was most playful, and loving, and once you got comfortable he would curl up around your feet.  Then he would find a soft spot around your ankle, which he would lick and lick and lick...until it was tasting nice and tenderized, and then CHOMP! Ferret goes flying across the room and you're left alone, apologizing.

And then there was the time we gave him a live mouse...horror...you will have a totally different view of your pet if you let this happen...

Offline Lisa

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 08:01:53 pm »
My previous ferret Phoebe brought me a field mouse for a gift once. It was barely ruffled, aside from the obvious choke marks at the throat. ::)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 10:07:18 pm »
Cute,hope that it adjusts okay. Cristy

Offline Lisa

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 01:00:51 am »
The little bundle just set a record! Actually managed most of a whole teaspoon...(with only minimal dribbling ;) )

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 04:04:42 am »
That is the cutest little thing I have seen in a long time....I know you will be a perfect mum...do you have a name yet?

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Christine

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 12:29:36 pm »
She is so cute! Our neighbors rehabbed two baby squirrels, and released them successfully. When they released them, they ran into the trees and were off on their own.

You will do great with her, she is lucky to have your help.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Lisa

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 12:51:59 pm »
I hope so Christine.
I am finding it really difficult to not go scoop her up when she is bleating/grunting for her mother.
At feeding time, I scoop her up, she greedily downs about a teaspoon of formula, then flips herself into a ball in my hand, and promtly goes nite-nite. She loves to nuzzle into the crook of my arm where it is warmest. She's soooooooooo tiny.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 04:27:18 pm »
Wait 'til she wants you to climb trees with her, Lisa.  "...come ON, Mom!"
Andy Velez

Offline mikevta2

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 03:28:56 pm »
he is cute!!! even her furry tail end. but i think smurfett is hot!! because she is the only girl smurf so you know she is a ho and i love that!!!

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 03:36:38 pm »
Wait 'til she wants you to climb trees with her, Lisa.  "...come ON, Mom!"

I fear Lisa has been out of her tree, so to speak, a little too long to find her way back.

-joseph

Offline Heros ENV

• Doing what I can...
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 11:39:10 pm »
How completely adorable!!! I have babies too but they are a lot bigger; ducks and cows. :) I am waiting on kittens and that is always loads of fun!!! LOL! Good luck to you and yours and watch those little teeth!
Heros ENV

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 11:10:11 pm »
Lisa that is 2 cute.  And I know your trying not 2 name him or her but I think the name Tyke is somehow fitting. 
Good Luck with the little one and keep us posted on his/her progress.

Jag

PS would luv 2 see more pics as Tyke gets bigger

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 06:28:22 am »
Hey Lisa...

He/She is cute....but be careful.  Squirrels do carry rabies in the womb and do they bite readily as infants.
I have a huge back yard (I'm live in the middle of West Mobile) and its like a zoo back there.  I have squirrels that are
huge....and just last week a hawk came out of nowhere and grabbed one of the little ones....I was stunned.  It makes
me nervous to leave my little Rat Terrier puppies unattended....because even the birds (Robins) appear to be larger
than life outback. 

Congradulations sweetheart..........but be careful.  I'm like an old lady...I worry.  I worry!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Lisa

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 09:19:19 am »
Thanks purple, I have been calling the little one Tyke! I have also changed my mind about the poor little thing's sex too....after closer inspection...I really think I have a little boy on my hands. What I originally thought was the umbilicus....turns out to be his little wee-wee. Whoopsie! (Humans are so much easier ;D )

I didn't know about the Rabies in the womb thing Davie. The little feller is trying to teethe though. He has attempted to knaw on my fingers, but his little teeth are just not big enough. I went out and brought in some sticks for him yesterday, and he has been using them to teethe on. Usually after he has a bottle, he starts looking for something to knaw on.... before, it was my shirt, fingers, etc...but the sticks have been great. His  toofies aren't big enough, or sharp enough yet to break skin, so I haven't been too worried. He still has about four or five more weeks of formula before he is ready for complete self feeding.
He is almost strong enough to hold his little head up now, but still is pretty wobbly.
It is so hard to not get very attached. I let him snuggle under my belly after he has a feeding.....he starts rooting around looking for a comfy spot, then curls up against me. I think it is probably too late to keep the imprinting thing from happening.
I'm going to try and get a couple of pics today...he looks like a teenager....all legs and tail. Poor baby.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 10:14:49 pm »
That is so cute, Lisa. I think the name Tyke fits,btw. You may try to introduce him to the wild but he may prefer to stay with you...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 10:38:58 pm »
Lisa I haven't  :-* you for a week, it's like meds, I gotta  :-* you regularly so I feel better.

You did name the baby !! And you've done close inspection I think this is it, he's a new member of your family :)

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 11:14:56 am »
Hmm...a kitty with a sniper rifle? 
Welcome back Queen A.... ::)

Sorry Lisa.......but glad to hear you're being careful.  Chuck is an animal specialist and I passed along his concerns.
Didn't mean to throw cold water on your Charitable Spirit.  You know I love you more than my luggage!
Looking forward to seeing you in SF :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.