Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:01:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Your first concert  (Read 15522 times)

Offline marco23

Your first concert
« on: December 19, 2006, 11:37:12 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what was your first concert and what concert just blew your mind?
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline Teresa

Re: Your first concert
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 11:45:26 pm »
My first concert I saw Elvis. It was probally in 1973. I was in Jr. high (middle school). It was before he got fat so he still looked good!

I saw the Rolling Stones Oct.1 this year and they were fantastic! Best concert I have been too!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:02:57 am »
My first concert I saw Elvis. It was probally in 1973. I was in Jr. high (middle school). It was before he got fat so he still looked good!

Teresa: LOL! Glad you got to see the low-fat Elvis!!  ;D I remember when the USPS polled America on the Elvis postage stamp ---Skinny young Elvis beat out Fat Elvis by a landslide  :D  :D

Marco: First large-scale concert for me was Sheryl Crow a few years ago, free concert in NYC's Central Park. Would sometimes see alternative bands during the 80's and 90's but those were small-scale

Offline Jean-Yves

• Meow!
    • Home for Sign of the Tiger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:14:57 am »
Is it showing my age to say...The Beatles  It was somewhere around '65 or '66.

Jean-Yves

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 12:19:09 am »
The first concert I ever remember going to was....(drum roll, please)

Shaun Cassidy in Concert - 1978 !!

This was at the Atlanta Omni (now known as Phillips Arena, I believe), at the height of Hardy Boys hysteria!

Went with my father and middle sister, Cindy.  This was mainly her deal- with her best friend, Janet.

My dad was there to chaperone, I guess.  Don't remember how or why I came to be in the mix.

I just remember the shrieking of an arena full of teenage girls...and that one of the highlights was right after the intermission, when Shaun burst through this giant, white paper circle at the rockin' start of 'Dah-Doo-Run-Run'!

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 12:55:52 am »
Hands down...the one concert that absolutely blew my wig off was:

Roger Waters - 1985

This was for his first solo album post Pink Floyd, and I had no idea what it really was to see a Floyd show.  Never seen anything like it before or since.  The concept of the album follows a man's dreams, with the songs of each part of the dream happening in real time.  The stage was made to look as though you were laying in the bed, with a TV playing in the corner of the room at the foot of the bed.  It was totally 3-D.    One super cool thing was how the landscape thru the bedroom windows gradually eased from stars to sunrise as the story progressed.    I've put a little pic below that I found that shows you kind of what I am talking about.  It was amazing...

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 01:09:59 am »
I was a sheltered child......

I did not see my first concert until I was 21 in 1996.  It was at the Smirnoff Pavillion in Dallas....Junior Walker and the All Stars.

My favorite concert occurred in July at Nokia Live in Grand Prairie Texas-Charlie Wilson and Patti LaBelle...........
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline joemutt

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 03:04:08 am »
first : Sparks, Brussels 1975, I was so young, my mother went with me.
most impressed : Bette Midler 1978, World Tour, Antwerp, price app 20 $.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 05:40:10 am »
Prince concert, "Purple Rain." That was the last one too. I have pay per view and can watch them at home.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 08:34:06 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:27:11 pm by Iggy »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 08:49:02 am »
In 1967 at the ripe ol' age of 15 I hitchhiked high on mescaline to the Monterey Pop Festival to see Big Brother and the Holding Company...fronted at the time by a funky little hippy chick from Texas...Ms. Janis Joplin. I am still seeing trails..... 

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 09:01:21 am »
Highlights

1984 Miles Davis in Montreux, Switzerland! Just perfect!

1991 Guns n´roses In Basel, Switzerland! Loud! and very, very good

1998: Nick cave and the bad seeds, Zürich, Switzerland!

2005 Prince in Zürich

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 09:01:28 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:26:46 pm by Iggy »

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 09:05:18 am »
My first concert was Willie Nelsons New Years Eve concert in Houston at what was then called the Summit, along with my Mom And Aunt...  we had very good seats... alas he didnt sing 'Cowboys are frequently Secretly Fond of each other'

my favorites have included Red Hot Chili Peppers ( with some lame assed opening act called 'Pearl Jam')

and a sweet double bill with Social Distortion and the Ramones in a concert hall that was once a grocery store ( anybody in Hou. remember The Unicorn ?)

I saw the second Lolapalooza ( put THAT in the Spellchecker, Peter) which was a real diddywhacker.
one memorable act was 'The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow' which was just that.

One night a friend and I decided to diversify the concert experience and start the evening with a concert by a charming hardcore group called 'Dead Horse'  and scoot down the street and catch Warren Zevon. ( warren was much better )

More recently, Ive seen U2 a couple of times which probablly would have been a spectacular concert if we hadnt been in the second to the back row in the top level of a sports arena.. really made me long for the Mosh Pit Days....but thats another story.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 09:06:26 am »
DAMN! I am fucking jealous as all hell.

BTW, did I ever mention that I do a mean rendition of Piece of my heart when I'm drunk in a bar and it';s on the jukebox...I say mean because my singing is a bit cruel to hear, but hey I can really do sloppy drunk spectacle of myself like nobodies business! 

I have no doubt about that my angel. ;D

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 10:08:58 am »
OK, I'm telling my age here....

Joe RuMore's "Shower of the Stars" at Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham, with Paul Revere and the Raiders and Frigid Pink....

:D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 10:15:13 am »
did I ever mention that I do a mean rendition of Piece of my heart when I'm drunk in a bar and it';s on the jukebox...

Oh goodness - Your "signature song" Iggy? By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. You are quite a character, "Ignatius"!  :D LOL!! :D  :D

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:39 am »
Pink Floyd... Division Bell/Pulse Tour 1994!!!  33rd Row of the floor.  High as a kite and trippin on shrooms!  It was TRULY a religious experience for me!!!

I saw God that night and he said he is comfortably numb!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:52 am »
My first concert was (SO GAY!) the Go-Go's "Vacation" tour and the opening band was (*gasp!*) Flock of Seagulls.  The year was 1982 and it was beyond fab!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 10:37:08 am »
Oh man. I am so old.
1970-the guess who-the first
1971-the Byrds- the most psychedelic. great concert till the bass player tried to pick up my girlfriend. I guess it did get us back stage.
1973- Lou Reed - the strangest
1973-Led Zeppelin- the highest I have ever been at a concert
1978-David Allan Coe-the second strangest
2002-John Fogerty- The best concert of all times. He rocks at 60
the worst of all times is any concert with Black Sabbath on the ticket. I think I have seen them 5 times.
Oh, I forgot about the time we gave three members of the group Sha-na-na qualudes at the start of concert. The lead did two. He was slobbering allover us.

Offline ademas

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 11:12:01 am »
First concert?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iUNWu94fAM

Best concert?  Ella Fitzgerald in Portland, OR - '85 or '86.

Offline ademas

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 11:14:28 am »
jack,
I would give my left nut to see the The Guess Who.
okay, maybe not, but damn...I'll bet that was a concert to remember.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 11:31:27 am »
Oh, and I cried my freshman year in college when I couldn't use my tickets to the Thompson Twins concert because I had the flu, and my friend who went ended up backstage doing cocaine with the band members after the show!  Devastating!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 11:56:10 am »
ademus, lead singer Burton Cummings was absolutely a Rock Star. He was chain smoking and I was front row. They were much more rocking in concert than on albums.

Offline marco23

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 12:06:48 pm »
Wow, these sound like some great concerts. My first concert was Prince & the Revolution -The Purple Rain tour. The one I most enjoyed though was Dave Koz & Friends, that was such a fun concert. The one I recently went to was Blue Oyster Cult and FogHat. Talk about a smoke (pot) filled stadium!  I had a blast! Don't remember much of the concert but I know I enjoyed it!
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline BooBoo

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:19 pm »
My firt concert was KISS in 1978.

Offline gemini20

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 02:00:53 pm »
I can't remember my first gig - was probably Duran Duran at Birmingham NEC in the early 1980s i think.

Of course the one that blew me away I will never forget - Friday 23rd June 2000 - Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band at Madison Square Gardens in New York.

The reason it blew me away - I got kissed by Bruce during 'Out in the Street'!

Even writing it down brings a smile to my face!

Emma  :)

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline cph9680

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 02:01:15 pm »
MY first concert my dad took me to see Billy Joel in 1994

I think the coolest concert I ever went to was last Saturday, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra was in town and that had to be the coolest thing I've ever seen!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 02:37:07 pm »
The "coolest" concert for me was Donna Summer with a full orchestra at Carnegie Hall... I know that's just SUPER gay but she really turned it out, plus it was a pricey AIDS benefit and I sat behind Sandra Bernhard.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 04:02:20 pm »
My first concert was "Up With People" back in 1977. The concert that blew my mind was Prince's "Lovesexy" in 1988. I've seen Tina Turner a couple of times and she is always amazing.

Offline marco23

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 04:19:02 pm »
Tina is the only artist I regretted never seeing.  When did you see her, how was the concert?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 04:23:38 pm »
My first real concert was Ani Difranco in 2001... right before I started loathing her.

Best concert was Stereolab in March of this year... when I got to meet them and hang out in DC and they bought me drinks. 

The show itself ruled at life, too.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 04:48:56 pm »
My first concert?  KC and the Sunshine Band back in 1977 or 1978.
Heh... how gay is THAT?

Best concert I remember was Stevie Ray Vaughn with Double Trouble back
in 1985.

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 04:51:14 pm »
I don't know, Henry....you're up against some stiff competition here, what with the Go-Go's and Donna Summer!

Still pretty gay there, though.  Yep.   :)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline marco23

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 05:22:00 pm »
Stiff competition.....I've seen Janet, Cher (Farwell tour, think she's still touring) w/ Cyndi Lauper opening, Bette Midler and Madonna (Confessions tour)....but have also seen Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones - you know, trying to keep it butch.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 05:25:56 pm »
Gay? You bitches want gay? Try Sylvester with Two Tons of Fun at the IBeam, Haight Street, San Frandisco baby!!!

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 05:26:46 pm »
First concert I think was Oasis.  I've been to some amazing gigs in my time but the best one has to be Brian Wilson in london he did most of the pet sounds album it was unbelievably good i've never seen so many people crying as well!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 05:31:30 pm »
Gay? You bitches want gay? Try Sylvester with Two Tons of Fun at the IBeam, Haight Street, San Frandisco baby!!!

Uh, oh!  I think Auntie Doxie has just won the Golden Phallus and the tiara that goes with it!

Now, THAT was WAY, WAY  GAY
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 06:05:24 pm »
Hard to imagine anyone will be able to out-gay Dachsund's concert.
That is so gay it is almost beyond gay!  :o

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline josenav

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 06:24:01 pm »
My first concert was Korn with Static X dont remember the year but was some years ago maybe 2000, it was at Auditorio Benito Juarez, in Guadalajara, Mexico.

The best concert, non beateble to this date was on 2002 G3 with joe satriani, steve vai and john petrucci. at the Auditorio Nacional in Mexico DF.

The second would be Dream Theater at Auditorio Diana in Guadalajara, Mexico.  (in 2006)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 06:26:06 pm »
omg... I would *SO* have killed to have seen Sylvester!!!

I should also lump in seeing Culture Club on the 2nd ever US date -- plus it was a small venue as nobody knew who they were hardly at that time.  

And I would have gone to see Kajagoogoo but alas they didn't tour here! hee hee

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 06:32:08 pm »
One of the coolest shows I went to was to see Le Tigre and Out Hud on the Bands Against Bush tour in 2003.  I didn't care so much about the politics... but seeing Le Tigre... so much fun! 

But definitely the best most recent show was Ladytron.  They're adorable!  Helena's all bouncy and interactive... which is the polar opposite of what I'd expect... they messed up the intros to one of their songs, and she says, "What?  It's live, people!  It's bloody live!"  She was being funny about it and they just tried again and rocked out.

Love. Ladytron. Longtime.

I still like to torture my friends... "oh yeah... 'Seventeen' is soooo much better live!"
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 06:38:39 pm »
Beers, er...AUG:  That is PRECISELY the kind of concert moment that rocks at life, ain't it? 

"What?  It's live, people!  It's bloody live!"

Take that, Ashley Simpson.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 07:11:26 pm »
Who are these people?? lol

I'm not big on music, but

1st was Charlie Daniels Band in the late 70's at the Nassau Coliseum (pot smoking going on EVERYWHERE)

Favorite was The Judds farewell tour at the Jones Beach outdoor ampitheater (or Citibank something or another as it's known these days)
Of course REBA and Wynona's are WAY up there!

p.s Tim
Don't remember how or why I came to be in the mix
   RREEAALLYYY now?!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:14:17 pm by Longislander »
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 11:35:57 pm »
LOL @ Ford seeing "Up With People".    I remember them also...

I still have my ticket stub from the Village People concert, 1977; Gloria Gaynor was the opening act (that was pre "I Will Survive").....

They V.P. later came to Belle's in downtown Birmingham, and I danced with the leather man.....needless to say I really thought I was some body.   :P
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2006, 12:21:59 am »

BLACK SABBATH...  Mob Rules tour...  it was after Ozzie was gone though :-\
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2006, 03:31:38 am »
My first concert was the "Rolling Stones" when I was 15 in 1963...one of the concerts I really enjoyed was "Dr Hook" in 1979 in the Odeon in Edinburgh...but the best one I ever went to was a K.D. Lang concert, I saw her in Aussie in 1994...what a performer and what a voice.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2006, 02:29:55 pm »
San Frandisco baby!!!

LOL! San Frandisco:D

That's très gay!   :D  :D

Offline marco23

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »
You mean there's gay people in San Francisco!?  ;D

Offline bear60

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2006, 02:59:59 pm »
God.  I have been thinking about this since you posted it.  I think the first concert I went to that was not proscribed by my parents was in New York City at some dreary theater...it was a Mothers of Invention concert.  I think my favorite concert was Bette Midler....Oh my God ...does she do an incredible concert.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.