Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:34:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 221
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WARNING ! THIS IS AN UNSECURE WEBSITE !!!  (Read 19850 times)

Offline jlrvinton

WARNING ! THIS IS AN UNSECURE WEBSITE !!!
« on: September 17, 2006, 10:45:12 am »
 :o I can't believe that NO ONE mentioned, nor has any place on this website warned its members that ANYTHING YOU POST ON ANY PLACE ON THIS SITE IS UNSECURE...WORSE....During a "people search" on LYCOS and GOOGLE and HOTBOT etc....I decided to search for myself....What did I find? all of my postings, as well as the responses to my postings....! As a matter of fact, I entered this site through Google's findings on myself. I am ANGRY that NOT ONE of you "hosts" or members bothered to inform me that my private thoughts, TRUSTED to you-my fellow Pozzies, under the assumption that only others that are registered or part of this site would have access to them, found it necessary to disclose the COMPLETE LACK of security surrounding anything associated with it. Its not that I give a shit who knows....Its more like having your HIV status disclosed to the world by a trusted friend WITHOUT your knowledge. God only knows it was sheer happenstance that I discovered this by complete accident. Just as I would confront a friend that was rude enough to do something like this, I think ITS FUCKING LOW-CLASS, UNDERHANDED, AND A CRYING SHAME that you did not inform me of this situation. I can assure you that I will NO-LONGER feel the same sense of trust...and I will GUARD and EDIT just what I say here from now on. Through your Forum, people I have NOT disclosed my status to, and people looking for access to PRIVATE information...(such as my primary email address, my introduction of myself to you, insurance companies, et all....) now have ACCESS to that data. After posting this message, I plan on deleting as much of myself from this site as I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU TO ENCOURAGE ME TO TRUST IN THIS SITE AND TELL ME HOW WONDERFUL AND UNDERSTANDING THE PEOPLE HERE ARE. YOU MAKE ME SICK..... Just when I thought I had found a place that I could "let my hair down" and relax.....and express my fears to people that would understand.....I find this, its like a BIG TURD on a birthday cake......I hope you are all proud of yourselves for the cheap laugh you might get out of this....  GOODBYE.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: WARNING ! THIS IS AN UNSECURE WEBSITE !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 10:56:06 am »
J,

Um, wow. As far as I know, it's common knowledge that secure sites have a little lock icon in the lower right hand corner of the browser window. Any site that doesn't have one of those isn't.

Nobody ever claimed that your posts wouldn't show up on Google. It's just a fact of life on the internet.

Sorry you feel the need to leave. Feel free to come back at anytime, the door is always open.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jlrvinton

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:06:21 am »
OOOHHHHHH EXCUSE ME FOR NOT LOOKING TO SEE IF A LITTLE LOCK WAS IN THE LOWER RIGHT PART OF MY SCREEN OR NOT....STUPID ME......HOW SILLY OF ME NOT TO CHECK....GOSH, I GUESS IM JUST A COMPLETE IDIOT FOR TRUSTING SOMEONE....AS FAR AS THE DOOR BEING OPEN........NO FUCKING KIDDING! ITS LIKE THERE IS NO DOOR.....OR WALL.....OR ROOF..... SO DON'T LOOK FOR ME TO RETURN ANYTIME SOON EXCEPT TO WARN NEW PEOPLE THAT IF THEY DON'T LOOK FOR THE LITTLE LOCK, THEY WILL BE IN FOR A NASTY SURPRISE...

Offline Nadine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 11:14:43 am »
There is no reason for you to get so nasty.

If you don't feel comfortable here, then move on.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 11:16:50 am »
I will GUARD and EDIT just what I say here from now on.

does this mean you're coming back? hope so. it truly is a valuable site. sorry to hear you're a little upset. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger or at least wiser/more experienced

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 11:17:29 am »
JL, I sympathize with how you feel about this issue. Obviously you're very shocked.

As you probably have already noted, many people here do not use photos and do not use their real names. The choice to remain anonymous or not is totally up to each individual. Occasionally a member has expressed some concern about a partner, spouse, employer, etc., "discovering" them here.

Fortunately since we began I can think of only perhaps 2 or 3 instances in which there were problems with a partner or spouse because of postings here and those were quickly settled.

Given your feelings at the moment I'm afraid that may not comfort or satisfy you.

Also, at the risk of stirring your ire up even further, I can't help wondering who you think you would be sussing out your postings. It's an awfully big world on the net and however important your comments maybe to you, on the web they are just some among uncounted trillions.

Anyway, I will end with just wishing you well.

Sincerely,
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:21:12 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 11:21:46 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:38:27 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline jlrvinton

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 11:49:58 am »
Thats good advice NADINE.....I plan on it........and to "mr. who pissed in your cornflakes this morning" I'LL TELL YOU WHO PISSED IN MY CORNFLAKES....THIS FORUM PISSED IN MY CORNFLAKES....AND NADINE.....If you can't understand just why I might be SHOCKED and CONFUSED and ANGRY at my discovery.....and the best advice you have to offer is your short, dismissive, "just move on"...comment, perhaps you should consider looking at the amount of understanding you possess....ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT PEOPLE LIKE ME WANT TO SLAP.......HARD. So do me a favor.....save your hardhearted, cold as an iceberg routine for someone that is on this forum to do malicious damage or to make fun of HIV+ people....and leave those of us that joined IN GOOD FAITH....THAT WERE THANKFUL TO HAVE PERHAPS FOUND A PLACE WHERE WE COULD DEVELOPE FRIENDSHIPS.....ONLY TO DISCOVER WHAT I HAVE AND FEEL A PROFOUND SENSE OF LOSS AS A RESULT....alone.  And in case you are wondering, yes.....a couple of tears HAVE ran down my cheeks today because of this....and IF I continue to be a part of this forum(which at this moment I doubt) do me a favor and don't ever say another thing to me.....TRUST ME.....this response is moderated compared to what I am feeling at the moment....and explaining it to you has been an exercise in self control on my part.....Lets just leave it at a mutual "I don't like you..." rather than stoop to utilizing expletives that are beneath both of us.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 11:53:31 am »
J -- these are "Community Forums" -- it has always been standard practice on the Internet (from day 1) that "forums" or "discussion groups," and in their earliest forms, "newsgroups,' were open to visitors for viewing (and thus open for search engines to spider).

It has proven to be a very helpful ability for many of us.  Even I have found Google search results of AIDSmeds forums threads about subjects I'm doing personal research on (like PMMA for facial lipoatrophy treatment).

For this reason, we will always keep these forums open for all visitors to browse, and all search engines to index.

I'm sorry if you were not aware of this widely known standard practice for "forums," "discussion groups," and "newsgroups."

We do from time to time we do get requests from users to remove personal information from archived posts, and we usually honor those requests (as long as the thread is pretty old, and no longer being posted to).  At that point, they pretty quickly disappear from Google, etc.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline cph9680

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 12:09:18 pm »
Like anybody's gonna care, or much less be googling you besides yourself (and my psycho cousin).  I think you're blowing this a tad bit out of proportion

Corey

Offline Teresa

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 12:15:53 pm »
J,

I can understand how you feel. I used to have my picture up as my avatar until hubby saw and he freaked out. He was also very upset that i used my first name and I have in my profile the state I'm from. I took my pic down and I told him that I'm not the only Teresa in Kansas. He was so afraid that someone he knew might come here and recognize me. Then put 2 and 2 together and find out he was HIV+.

Hubby has yet to use these forums and I know when he does he will not use his real name and certainly not have his pic up. He has yet to disclose to his family or any of his friends. It is all still new to him since hes only known since May.

I hope you stay as there is a wealth of information here and alot of great people.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline jlrvinton

PRIVACY POLICY OF POZ.COM
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 12:21:05 pm »
Well, just as I thought....NO, I did'nt look for the "little lock"......BUT if all you moderators and memebers will just scroll down to the bottom of ANY PAGE....And look at the copyright "Smart and Strong. All rights reserved. terms of use and your privacy" perhaps my anger would be easier to understand......especially the "your privacy" part. Can you now see how my failing to notice the "little lock" might be understandable...and my resulting anger...? Yeah, I know, what are the odds ANYONE would find ANYTHING I say important enough to notice amidst million/billions of emails out on the web to persue....should provide me with some comfort....But my trusting this forum is a slip up I've almost NEVER made....So PARDON my need to CONTROL just what, and to whom I choose to disclose my HIV status to......as well as my email address, my history, my date of birth ad naseaum.......

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 12:24:54 pm »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:24:13 pm by Iggy »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: PRIVACY POLICY OF POZ.COM
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 12:25:56 pm »
j,

I'm going to move this new thread into the first thread you started on this subject. It will enable readers to follow your thoughts.

You can make your email address invisible. Go into your profile and click on the "account related settings" link and tick the box to make your email address hidden.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 12:33:12 pm »
Are you the kind of guy that would sue McDonalds for serving hot coffee too?
This is a public forum.......that's how you found us in the first place.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 12:57:38 pm »
I know my bank account has the little "lockie thing" down there "clicked" but never seen it clicked other than that, - my words of total bullshit are for the world to see....  I better get a prettier picture of me if the world is looking. I'm freaked! :o
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:59:51 pm by Eric »

Offline jlrvinton

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 12:58:39 pm »
I feel silly and stupid....not only for blinding myself to the possibility that use of this site was a public forum....which I should have known....But in my NEED to talk to someone....I just didn't take the time to REALLY check. I am in no way a CLOSET Pozzie...my ENTIRE family knows...as do all of my friends. I was just SHOCKED that the ONLY thing found by "people searching" for myself was THIS forum. NOTHING  ELSE....and I've been on the WEB for YEARS..... Its like taking the most vulnerable area of my emotional/private life.....and putting a flashing neon sign up pointing to the area. My HIV status is but one facet of many....just as all of you have many facets that compose your life. I thought that other people that were HIV+/have AIDS would understand.....the need for some degree of privacy....
It's bad enough dealing with Insurance Companies....and housing discrimination that can't be proved, as well as dealing with the sheer ignorance most people have in regard to AIDS....and the social stigma imposed upon us by the world at large.....the people that suddenly leave our lives upon finding out that we have AIDS....The relatives that "carefully bleach and wash" everything we touch like dishes, silverware and glasses and toilet seats..... The strained/forced "turn of the head" when hugging us goodbye....The way some people want to wash their hands after shaking ours....the reluctance to either kiss our cheek or allow us to kiss theirs..... THESE are the things that sometimes HURT THE MOST. I've done my best to educate the  ones that can be educated....Still....the distance is there. And an inch might as well be 1000 miles.......My continued survival has been the best education, but some of them still look "so surprised" that I'm not already dead and buried. God....I miss my Mom.....
she truly understood. Alot of my family avoids me....or ignores me..... Which Is WHY I have withdrawn more into myself.... and reduced the number of people that I trust so openly..... and to have found this forum was a big release for me.......until today.......

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 01:04:27 pm »
K, well, see, that's why my username is 'Mouse'.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 01:11:40 pm »
J.

We all had the opportunity to choose an "alias" for ourselves when signing up for these forums.  (don't follow my advice.... )  What's the point of being upset over something like this? You can easily ask the moderators to delete your Jirv.... account and all the posts associated with it.

You are stressing yourself out for no reason.  I, myself, know that anything I disclose here is not "sacred" and WILL be found via any search on the internet.  Which is why I CHOSE to change my avatar and replace it with something more generic.  And as for my profile...

Summary - IzPoz  Picture/Text
Name:  IzPoz
Position:  Member
Date Registered:  August 21, 2006, 07:34:05 PM
Last Active:  Today at 01:05:23 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN:   
YIM:   
Email:  hidden 
Current Status:   Online 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Time: September 17, 2006, 01:05:40 PM

That's all that's available via clicking on my name.  I hope you find peace and serenity.  You sound like you could use some right about now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 01:39:41 pm by IzPoz »
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline ademas

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 01:20:44 pm »
K, well, see, that's why my username is 'Mouse'.

and why my username is ademas.  You would have to wade through a helluvalota spanish language websites before you could find me.

Perhaps a simple request to have your moniker changed?

In general, I never feel it's a good idea to use my last name on the web.  Perhaps if it were "Smith" I would...but it's a rather odd one, so I choose not to.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 01:24:44 pm »

Whoa, hang on here a minute. Creating a new account is prohibited by the Terms of Membership. Please don't do that. Izzy, please don't advise other members to do things that are against the ToMs. Thanks.

What we can do, is change the screen name of your existing account - all your previous posts will reflect this change. If you wish for this to happen, please send an email to forums@aidsmeds.com

But what mystifies me is that your email address is still visible.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
JL,
Yes, privacy is an important part of all of our lives..poz or not. But, as in any other facet of life, it is YOUR responsability to keep it. You have to think about how you found this site to begin with.....it didn't just magicly appear on your screen like some omen of faith. I know that I read these forums before I joined.

Yes, there are stigmas....unfair treatment....relatives and friends that don't understand....but those are all things we have to rise above in order to move on.  I don't think Nadine was being cold. She was being real.

-Jenn
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 03:34:25 pm »
edited as inappropriate now that i'm unbanned.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 04:42:20 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 03:55:37 pm »
Bailey, it's presumptuous of you to assume you know and can speak for what "most people" are thinking.

Besides that your language is unacceptable in this rant. You need to clean up your act. I have no problem with you having something to say here but calling someone names and cursing at them is neither eloquent nor acceptable.

Consider yourself warned.

Andy Velez

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006, 04:00:41 pm »
you are a grade A, FDA approved fucking idiot.

I've given DingoBoi a 48 hours time-out, for abusive language.  Bailey -- you really should know better than to treat others in the forums like this.

Peter

Offline Damon

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 04:58:04 pm »
 ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:28:58 am by Damon »

Offline water duck

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2006, 05:29:47 pm »
J,  your angry and disappointment is understandable, but , can you just take a deep breath and a step back and look at the situation.
You looked into google, you knew what you wanted to find : do you think insurance company , etc ....
have enough specifics to pin point what you are bringing forward here for the moment?

Your date of registered was sept 01, do you also just find out about your status recently ??
Maybe you should just drop 'silly and stupid' from your vocabulary, we all do , at one time or other, especially when we discovered we have a bug for life !!

You found this site , how?? through google ?? you was alone and needed someone or somewhere to let down your hair, right ?? for all these reasons, this site have to remain public so that whatever ' lost souls ' out there can make their way here.

There are other issues that are fueling your anger, discovery that this site is unsafe is just the cherry on the cake. You just throw your anger here, fine, but then you should also share those issues eating you away so at least we can understand you more. There is love and comfort to be found here but then the security of this site, i am afraid none of us can give you, you need to manage that yourself. You can start by removing your e-mail address if that make you feel better.

PEACE

Siang

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2006, 06:04:06 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

J,

Anytime you can get Peter Staley’s attention twice in one day; I’d call it pretty good.

Excuse me while I go wipe the saliva from my lips. Oh and then don’t even get me started thinking about Tim Horn.

That’s it, now I need  to take a cold shower.
 ;D ;D ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:10:28 pm by Terry »

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 06:05:58 pm »
Calm blue sea, calm blue sea, calm blue sea ...

This kind of public tirade is both uncalled for and senseless, assuming you are an adult (your profile doesn't give your age, yet oddly your e-mail address remains).

Why berate the administration of this board or its members?

I don't get it. At all. Perhaps you could use a bit of work on adjusting your expectations. Failing that, on adjusting your attitude. If you want to blame someone, blame yourself for assuming anything, and for being so nasty to others for something you created yourself.

I’m not a doctor, but I’d guess stress is going to kill you before HIV ever does. Try to relax. The support is here. See if you can take a more realistic approach to what you do on the Internet in future.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 06:07:46 pm »
OH FOR CHRISSAKE!!
GET A GRIP...LOL

YOU ACT AS IF THIS WAS ONE GIANT CONSPIRACY.

GET REAL!!!!!!!

KELLY 8)
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 06:46:40 pm »
J,

from reading your messages on this thread I take it that this is not only about security and staying anonymous.

You've expressed a lot more about you and your feelings in this thread alone - after finding out it was public - than you did in all your previous posts. In those you stated that you have been HIV+ for 17 years. You say many people know, because you've told them.
Well, I would venture that many more know without you realizing it. Because people are people. And because sharing such bad news as being HIV+ is not only difficult for us, but it is not exactly easy  to be on the receiving end either.
I know for fact that a couple of people I had confided with eventualy had to tell others because they found it hard to deal with. Not because they wanted to hurt me. The nice thing is that they told me, but not everybody will.

You, like me, found this site BECAUSE it is public. Had I not been able to lurk for a while I would never have signed up. Plain and simple. I am usualy careful, even reserved, with people I don't know, and this is the first internet forum I ever joined. The tradeoff was that I would eventually have to tell about myself a little, take some risks, well, relative ones.
So I did not use my real name, and I doubt many people do here (there are a few), and I hid my email address. Then I put my picture up and some times later replaced it with the present one (who looks a bit like me anyway ;D). I did this because I grew just a tad paranoid, thinking WHAT IFs?? What I am getting at is that there are as many safeguards as possible on this website. Use them (as of now you still have your email address visible...).

I think that the bottom line is that you can not have the cake and eat it, i.e. you cannot participate in a support group, web forum or tell people about your status and be 100% sure that this information will not spread somewhat. It is a risk to take. And quite frankly I think it is worth taking, for here is a place that is pretty unique.
If this particular thread has been met with flak it has also been met with understanding and compassion. You've expressed your anger and sense of betrayal with harsh words. Now you have probably calmed down a bit. Do what you need to do to feel safer here. And stay.

Not only can you find emotional support and up to date information here, but you can also contribute to helping others cope with being in a situation you have known for a long time. It is up to you.

sincerely,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2006, 10:07:46 pm »
They should really get the rules out about this darn Internet thingy!!!  I mean its SOOOO new and all.

Seriously if you dont know by now that virtually EVERYTHING you do online no matter WHERE it is, is traceable and findable you need to get Internet for DUMMIES!

Settle down man.  It's not like you were JUST diagnosed with HIV or anything.  I mean we all have had WORSE news.

Andrew
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 10:30:22 pm »
OK gang, there's no point in rehashing this over and over again and further sarcastic remarks aren't going to help  jirvington feel more at home here. Remember, he came here for information and support, just like the rest of us.

If you have no support to offer j, please close this thread and move on.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ImagineFL

• Pornstar Stunt Double
    • My Photo Gallery
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2006, 11:23:15 pm »
I know my bank account has the little "lockie thing" down there "clicked" but never seen it clicked other than that, - my words of total bullshit are for the world to see....  I better get a prettier picture of me if the world is looking. I'm freaked! :o

Ditto, Eric... I need a new photo... one that shows my pretty side for all the world to see.

;)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2006, 08:32:22 pm »
J.,

As Ann suggested, send the moderators a request to change your username to one less obvious.  Remove your email address from your profile or use a disposable, anonymous one from yahoo or hotmail or something.  Don't use your real name or email address in posts if you are concerned about confidentiality. 

On the old forums this issue came up at least once before and I daresay it will arise again.  I can't remember what the AIDSmeds registration process involved but suggest the moderators consider a succinct clarification for those unfamilair with such issues (if such information doesn't yet exist) .  Many people, maybe even a majority, know a public site can be indexed by search engines but there are many who don't or who do not realize it during registration.  Given the unfortunate, continuing stigma associated with HIV/AIDS in many circles this seems like a reasonable request.

On the other hand, I'm sure the editors don't want to unduly alarm people about security and confidentiality so it's their decision. 

Boo
P.S.  My real name isn't Boo.  It's Arthur.  ;)
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline carousel

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 04:46:21 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:49:57 pm by carousel »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 09:51:35 am »
Hey J,

I think this may involve a little more than someone "googling" you and "finding out."

I've been positive for at least 21 years. At this point, if people don't know I'm a possie, they have blinders on - not to mention ear plugs.

That said, there are times when I have been a bit more candid on these forums than I probably should have. I have exposed myself, my feelings, fears, hopes, etc., for all the world to see.

This, at times, makes me feel more vulnerable. It is kind of like feeling naked in a room full of people.

But in return, I have made good friends here, had wonderful support and, I hope, offered some modicum of support and caring to others.

It is a cost/benefit issue for me. I truly believe it can be for you as well. Yes, I am more exposed than I would like at times. But I also am more free because I really have nothing (or very little) left to hide.

I am also more connected to people here than I ever expected. They have come to mean a great deal to me and are very much a part of my life.

It took time to reach this point. My hope for you, and all others here, that you can reach this level of freedom and comfort and reap the dividends this site has brought my way.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:55:16 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline clarke

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 04:51:26 pm »
Dang Jirvington, get over it dude!  I mean, who's gonna give 2 craps anyhow?  I googled my "real" name quite recently, and found the original page on me and my family from AEGIS when I did HIV/AIDS education (including our Family picture).

Your'e really making much ado about nada, and the only thing that I'm upset about is you flaming all over on everyone who has doen so much work on this site!  Even tho' I haven't been on this Forum for that long, I do know how much energy and work it takes to maintain and admin stuff like this.  And don't you know by now nothing is ever really "secure", especially since there are knuckleheads who have nada better to do but try to hack in sites?

Bottom line dude?  If you don't want to see yourself on Google or any other search engine, then don't put yourself out there.  Frankly, I think there is more to worry about than someone doing a Google on you, dontcha think?

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 05:38:25 pm »
:o I can't believe that NO ONE mentioned, nor has any place on this website warned its members that ANYTHING YOU POST ON ANY PLACE ON THIS SITE IS UNSECURE...WORSE....During a "people search" on LYCOS and GOOGLE and HOTBOT etc....I decided to search for myself....What did I find? all of my postings, as well as the responses to my postings....!

Hypothetically speaking, of course, what kind of dumbass uses his real name?  Perhaps you might want to change your name to something else.  I'm sure that could be done for you.  Perhaps something more suitable such as: "Victim-on-aidsmedsdotcom", "Ima Dumbass", or "iHoLDEveRyOneElseAccoUNTaBLe4mYOwNActIOnS" might be an appropriate replacement.  If you need help with a name, I'm there for you, man!  Just send me an IM.  I've already added you to my buddy list! :)

Nobody's 'out'-ing you, except yourself.

-Joe

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 05:40:14 pm by Strayboy74 »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 06:44:14 pm »
;D

MtD

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 06:51:24 pm »
Off topic blurb. Matty...I am in love with your icon. Many kudos!

sounds like the Jl dude needs to take a couple chill pills and watch a couple episodes of The Golden Girls. I have the DVDs. I'll gladly send them!
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 07:18:43 pm »
Off topic blurb. Matty...I am in love with your icon. Many kudos!

Nothing says "hep cat" like iconofied beat poetry. ;)

MtD

Offline Longislander

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 11:27:24 pm »
I can honestly say that when I read J's initial post, I immediately googled my name. I haven't disclosed to anyone I know, nor a family member.  I immediately thought that whatever we used to register here (don't remember if my real name was used or not) would appear on Google. Yeah I was freaked. I have nephews and nieces  groing up with computers.  Of course they'll google whomever they know, just to see. Anyway, nothing came up on google, and I was relieved. Then I came back to finish reading the thread. I was not born in the computer generation, never took a computer lit course, I just wing it. I would have never thought to look for a 'lock' icon  somewhere on my screen (I don't see one now, locked or unlocked). I found this place as a link from "POZ" online. So it was not in the back of my mind that people could find me here (they can't because I didn't use my name, nor my town). I'm computer illiterate for the most part.

We saw from J's further posts that alot is going on with him and his emotions. I've seen other threads here where people on meds claim they make them angry, sad, mad as hell, etc... Perhaps J was having a really bad day.  How about we give him a break? I hope he does what was suggested to make himself anonymous, and stays here for the support, education and love we're all looking for.

(edited to ask Terry-WHO IS THAT MAN IN THE PIC??)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:31:01 pm by Longislander »
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2006, 06:13:17 am »
Hi Paul,

That man in Terry's picture is our very own Tim Horn. Dishy, eh? :D

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2006, 06:24:41 am »
Ann, I'm tellin on you. You cruise more than I do.  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2006, 06:31:25 am »

Rodney, now hush your mouth boy! I thought that was our little secret?  :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2006, 06:33:53 am »
ROFL

Offline texasguy

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2006, 07:40:20 am »
I'm so disappointed.  I just "Googled" myself with my name AND my city.  Apparently I'm some man from another city who plays water polo.... WTF??????

So now I'm feeling very insecure about myself.  I need a big AM hug to validate that I'm actually a real person!  I can't believe the Google God has passed me over.  <sigh> 
8/12/2008    102        402      26.8
                    VL         CD4     CD4%
7/11/2008   Started Atripla and Lisinopril for high blood pressure
6/8     654000(?) 347     20.4
5/08   42100       287      20.5
11/07 52930       438     27.3
5/07   48800       356     22.2
2/07   89000       316     23.2
7/06   51700       459     25.3
2/06   346000     386     20.3
           VL          CD4     CD4%
Poz Antibody Test January 2006
Seroconversion December 2005
Exposure November 2005

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2006, 08:47:12 am »

((((((((((texasguy))))))))))

Feel better?

Ann
(who doesn't need Google to know that texasguy is real!)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline texasguy

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2006, 08:57:55 am »
Thanks Ann...I'm for real!  Sentient and traversing terra firma.  Thanks for the affirmation!
8/12/2008    102        402      26.8
                    VL         CD4     CD4%
7/11/2008   Started Atripla and Lisinopril for high blood pressure
6/8     654000(?) 347     20.4
5/08   42100       287      20.5
11/07 52930       438     27.3
5/07   48800       356     22.2
2/07   89000       316     23.2
7/06   51700       459     25.3
2/06   346000     386     20.3
           VL          CD4     CD4%
Poz Antibody Test January 2006
Seroconversion December 2005
Exposure November 2005

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.