Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:57:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 212
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: longest list of fitting symptoms, need feedback  (Read 13388 times)

Offline levant

longest list of fitting symptoms, need feedback
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:20:14 pm »
Ok 4 months ago i slept with a prostitute, now before you write this situation off because it was protected and with no obvious brakes in the condom let me run you through what happend next.

28 days after the incident i develop swollen nodes in armpit and chin (very swollen) then come down with a mild flu like thing for about 4 days with your standard fever, night sweats, )but sore throat lasts for 2 weeks)

heres where i noticed that something was wrong and this was not a normal illness...my whole lower body started tingling 24/7....sometimes burning/freezing so neuropathy? hmmm went after 3 weeks

2 months after the incident i notice that my cervical glands have not stopped flarring up and are becoming more and more frequently inflamed. so i here that generalized lymph node swelling is very common with an early hiv infection and not much else (besides cancer) i check my body and find a lymph node on my elbow (although v small) and possible one on my back, back of my head....then in the last 2 weeks one has popped up behind one of my ears?

at 2 and a half months after my tingling leg sensations have long gone (that lasted for about 3 weeks) to my horror there is a defined freezing sensation in my feet (lasts for 2 weeks)

i have researched the topic for months now and seems like these symptoms although "non specific" only point to cancer if not hiv, so im very worried. i havnt tested yet but plan to soon. i know my risk just shouldnt produce an infection? did something go wrong? can it happen when using a condom in a one off exposure? even when the condom doesnt seem to brake??? sorry for such a long message! please give me some feedback.

Offline RapidRod

Re: longest list of fitting symptoms, need feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »
You never had a risk of contracting HIV.

Offline levant

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »
hi rapid rod,

i know a condom means no risk your right, but it doesnt make sense

i wont tell you ne1 you broke loose, but even on this site you have 12,000 posts

have you at least heard of 1 person with my symptoms who tested neg?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »
Everyone that posts here has symptoms. Had you had a risk, symptoms won't tell you a think about your status. HIV has no specific symptoms.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:47:14 pm »
As Rod has said, you were not at risk in this incident. Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission.

If your symptoms continue you should discuss them with your doctor. They are not HIV specific. And for future reference neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. If you have a real risk only an HIV test taken at 13 weeks can give you a conclusive negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline levant

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:28:07 pm »
ok thank you both for replying, i dont think im ignorant on the matter, i should believe that hiv can't be transmitted through an intact condom as it is said time and time over by experts, i suppose its natural to still try and question when it is about your own health.

but more specifically could you maybe just answer this question aswell:

why can't doctors diagnose hiv through symptoms when all over the internet symptoms like generalized swollen lymph nodes, neuropathy + flu like illness (when experienced together) are said to be only really seen in people with hiv? sorry i know you dont appreciate symptoms questions (i know they can't explain your status) but it seems like they should be able to closely predict a status? simply curious?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 08:48:33 pm »
HIV has no specific symptoms.

Offline levant

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:08:39 am »
Also, is the only way a condom fails (in terms of preventing hiv) by breaking wide open?

if no, please specify?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 09:45:12 am »
When a condom fails it's not about some itty bitty hole which is an urban legend and what people sometimes fear has happened. When a condom goes it ends up looking more or less like a fringed hoop on your penis.

You need to stop self-diagnosing symptoms. You're not a doctor and I suspect you are busy surfing the net and coming up with scary diagnoses. Discuss your symptoms with a doctor if they continue.

Nothing you are reporting has put you at risk for HIV transmission.
Andy Velez

Offline levant

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:48 am »
Thanks Andy, i'll post my test results after i go.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:00:36 am »
OK. I certainly continue to expect a negative test result for you.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline levant

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:47:33 pm »
ok i know i said i wouldn't post until i test, but i have now taken steps to book a test so before then i was just wondering maybe the experts could shed some light on this question i cannot answer.

as receptive anal sex without a condom is the most risky activity in terms of getting hiv. is that the same for men and women or just mainly men? its just when people say its easiest spread by male to male, is that becuase of the sex acts involved or litrally males and males have some scientific thing making it easier to transmit?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 01:30:19 am »
Levant,

It's all about the specific sex acts, not whether you're male or not.  Women are just as susceptible to infection during unprotected receptive anal intercourse as men.

I fully expect your result to be negative based on the information you have given us here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline levant

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:19:35 am »
Ok so i got tested yesturday, results due some point within the next week, or if they are bad, by as early as friday so i have been told.

i am quite concerned that i have contracted the virus due to the sheer amount of symptoms  i have, and am still experiencing....to make matters more worrying last week i developed an itchy rash on my left foot which has spread to other parts of my body hmmmmm yeah not good.

so in my test they took 3 viles of blood (is this normal) it was one vile for every serious std they checked with a urine sample to cover the rest.

I know this forum only deals with hiv so i will only as this once, maybe someone knows something...but i asked to be checked for herpes and the nurse said that they can only check if sores or blisters appear becuase they have to swab them directly...is this true?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:18 am »
Levant,

Some places have a blood test for herpes, others do not. It is thought by some that the swab test is more reliable and this is why some places do not use the blood test. A clinic I used to use had that policy.

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean absolutely nothing when it comes to hiv infection.

What is important in your case is that you did the right thing and used a condom. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. You did not have a risk for hiv infection.

If you continue to feel unwell or have unexplained rashes, see a doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv as you did not have a risk.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline levant

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »
Ok, very sorry Ann i don't want to keep posting here but I am not sure about some stuff still and don't know how to find it else to find it out.

i have been reading on more than one site now that the p24 antigen test is only useful to detect hiv when you have become infected within a few weeks...heres one site for example

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/p24/test.html

thats is the test my clinic used for me so is this actually not very reliable since if i have hiv i havnt been infected in the last 3 months? please help i'm not ignoring your warning just really confused now.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 06:46:11 pm »
Ok, very sorry Ann i don't want to keep posting here but I am not sure about some stuff still and don't know how to find it else to find it out.

i have been reading on more than one site now that the p24 antigen test is only useful to detect hiv when you have become infected within a few weeks...heres one site for example

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/p24/test.html

thats is the test my clinic used for me so is this actually not very reliable since if i have hiv i havnt been infected in the last 3 months? please help i'm not ignoring your warning just really confused now.

A p24 test is not a suitable test for diagnosing HIV. The only test suitable for that purpose (generally speaking) is an antibody test.

All of this is, of course, moot in your case. You were not at risk of infection in the first place.

MtD

Offline levant

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 06:50:47 pm »
ok, thank you matty, can anyone clarify then what is this test, and how accurate is it if its not suitable as you say?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
ok, thank you matty, can anyone clarify then what is this test, and how accurate is it if its not suitable as you say?

That link you provided pretty much sums it up. p24 is produced in the first few weeks of infection. It disappears after that. Because it is specific to HIV and present before antibodies are produced, it's presence is taken as being evidence of HIV infection.

But it is not conclusive. It cannot be used to rule out HIV infection. HIV antibody testing is the far superior method as (when taken at the right time following a risk behaviour) it gives a conclusive result.

As I mentioned earlier - none of this is relevant to your case as you were not at risk in the first place.

Go away and do something productive with your time.

MtD

Offline levant

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 07:31:40 pm »
well now this is frustrating, what kind of sexual health clinic did i go to? a major one in london and they clearly aren't giving out the correct test. i asked for an elisa or western blot and they said they dont do them!!?? and that this is a 4th gen p24 test so very accurate? now i'll have to find another clinic!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:14 pm »
well now this is frustrating, what kind of sexual health clinic did i go to? a major one in london and they clearly aren't giving out the correct test. i asked for an elisa or western blot and they said they dont do them!!?? and that this is a 4th gen p24 test so very accurate? now i'll have to find another clinic!

If you went to a major sexual health clinic in London then they did not give you the p24 test alone. It would have been an HIV antibody test that included a p24 antigen assay.

You are HIV negative. You were not at risk. You are allowing your fears to occlude your ability to understand what is going on.

Seriously move on or be timed out from these Forums.

MtD

Offline levant

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 07:48:04 pm »
ok i'll ask them tomorrow about the details as maybe i have missed something here? to be honest the concept of a hiv test that is only reliable for telling you that you're positive but cant be trusted for a negative reult is absolutely useless and should not have been created as it is pot luck what the results going to be!!! i will now refraim from posting

Offline levant

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:59 pm »
BUT, A'LL BE BACK   8)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 11:49:11 pm »
Levant,

BUT, A'LL BE BACK   8)

You won't be back for at least 28 days as that is how long the time out you've been warned about is going to last.

You have not had a risk for hiv infection.

Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline levant

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 09:33:09 am »
Ok so, I'm back, i've done my time. Just thought i would say that the test that I did came back NEGATIVE so it seems you are right (providing that this test was not just a p24 antigen test) although i spoke to the clinic and they said the sample had been tested for both antigens & antibodies so i guess there was either an elisa or western blot done aswell, that is all thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:57 am »
That negative result is a happy thing although no surprise here.

Get on with your life and make sure to use condoms everytime for vaginal and/or anal intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.