Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:12:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 622
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 615
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This is a ‘Dosage’ question. Does ‘One size fit all?’  (Read 2220 times)

Offline InquisitHIV

• Laughter is the best medicine.
“One size fits all” is a description for a product that would fit in all instances. The term has been extended to mean one style or procedure would fit in all related applications. It has been in use for over five decades. There are both positive and negative uses of the phrase.

This is definitely a question of dosage. Determination of the amount to be so administered.

A complete one pill, per day, per person!  Is this dose suitable for children also?

Is there a minimum age limit on those consuming ‘all-in-one’ combination tablets?
Are babies administered with ‘all-in-one’ combination tablets?

The average American white male weighs 80 kg (176 pounds). If somebody weighs in at a tiny 40kg (88 pounds) or a big person (160kg 353 pounds) should they still only take one pill per day?

Is it in any way dangerous for a small 40kg person to swallow a whole tablet every day?

Is it recommended that a large 160kg person, only consume one tablet per day or two?

Does one size really fit all?  Does one size affect each of our bodies differently?

Does anyone out there take 2 or 3, all-in-one pills per day?

In some of the countries in which I and many other members of this international forum reside, believe it or not, there are doctors who are incompetent or not completely knowledgeable about current HIV treatments, dosage etc.

Not everyone in the world has 100% trust their doctor; most folk would agree that it’s always advisable to get a second opinion. I prefer as many opinions as possible.

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who take the easy, perhaps well-intentioned, perhaps lazy option, and suggest to others that they should consult their doctor.

My opinion is that many HIV positive persons lack of trust in their own doctors/health care professionals, and that is precisely and obviously the reason they seek help, ask questions on this forum.

Please, kindly do not advise me to consult my doctor! About anything!

Why did I NEED to explain this?

I guess, because it may increase awareness, positive energy, peace, love and understanding, within the global POZ forum community.
A man with more than one thing on his mind.

The future belongs to the curious. The ones who are not afraid to try it.
Explore it. Poke at it. Question it. And turn it inside out.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: This is a ‘Dosage’ question. Does ‘One size fit all?’
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:41:25 am »
Of course you ask interesting questions.  About one size fits all, its a topic that is discussed just about every year in this forum.  Obviously the appropriateness of the response is going to depend on the resources available for the interested parties.

I live in a developed country where we mostly trust our doctors, have a lot of resources, and are plugged into the "medical practice" of other developed countries, and their pharma science.  Dosages are tested by pharma and products put on the market to meet both business and medical objectives. 

If a person (doctor or patient) in Switzerland or any other developed country wonders about the one size fits all dosage of anti-retrovirals specifically, there is something called  therapeutic drug monitoring:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapeutic_drug_monitoring

It is expensive and I would say in a rich country, still not a guarantee everyone who requests or might benefit from it, will get it.

If you have questions about the medical practice in your country, the answers are likely to come from the practitioners with experience in your population.  This doesn't mean you have to trust your individual doctor, but the collectivity of doctors will likely have built knowledge about what is best practice in the context. 

So if there is a supply of HAART coming in, in one size fits all, the only people who know if and when it is being tweaked to meet the medical needs of, say, children, or very small people, would be the HIV+ people in that situation and the health professionals involved.   

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

Re: This is a ‘Dosage’ question. Does ‘One size fit all?’
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:42:36 am »
Here's link that may interest you. http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines

Thankfully, there are a significant number of competent people, worldwide, involved in the development, study, prescribing and ingestion of ARVs for use by children, adolescents and adults.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.