Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:49:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One of the strange things about being LTS is...  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
One of the strange things about being LTS is...
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:44 am »
... finding out from a 3rd party that a very good friend of yours was diagnosed with HIV 3 years ago, but they've never told you, but DID tell you that they had non-Hodgkins lymphoma that year.

Frankly I think he's embarrassed to tell me, knowing I'm some ancient fossil who's had the bug already for eons.  Of course, I can't say anything to him if he doesn't think I know -- nor has he told our other mutual friend who was diagnosed a decade ago.

I'm only glad that he's with his (HIV+ diagnosed 5 years ago) Swedish partner in Stockholm and has excellent (free) medical care.

He's an odd guy, super private type, but with a heart of gold and I love him.  Sorry, I just felt like posting about this.  You know, now out of my five closest gay friends three have HIV.  I suppose I should just take solace in the fact that none of them have died.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

Re: One of the strange things about being LTS is...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
I think that in the face of severe illness OR in the face of medical news that is not good, people often cannot share this news because they are too shocked, too traumatized to be able to express that.  They are in some form of denial and just want it to go away. Who knows what your friend is feeling in regard to his HIV diagnosis.
I am also aware that when faced with serious medical problems, people often exhibit a tendancy to have their worst traits come out in force.  In this case you say: "He's an odd guy, super private type," so what other  traits might he have? 
How odd is he?  Does he have a fear of clipping his finger nails?  ;D
And you are correct: be happy you arent posting in the memorial page.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:14:51 pm »
Actually, I don't know what I would do if a really good friend of mine didn't tell me he/she had HIV.  I agree, he might be embarrased, thinking that he should have learned that lesson already.  I think some people might be wary of what our reaction would be (you know, "don't you see what I've been through" etc.).  Not that tha's what your reaction would be of course.  Hopefully in time, he'll get over his fear and tell you. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »

You know, now out of my five closest gay friends three have HIV.  I suppose I should just take solace in the fact that none of them have died.

i wish just one of my old buds were still within easy e-mail reach.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35:30 am »

He's an odd guy, super private type, but with a heart of gold

wow. he's just like you on two counts.

:-*
Mike

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:48:56 am »
Philly,
I don't normally post in here as I'm no LTS but you post caught my attention.
I was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago and didn't have much of a problem telling all most of my friends. The only one I stressed about telling was a special friend that had been HIV +ve since the late 80's.
I think Betty hit it on the head. It was the embarrassment that I somehow hadn't learnt anything despite being there with him and going through all the shit he was struggling with together.
I shouldn't have worried as he has been the best of friends and so supportive of me since.
I hope your friend comes around and lets you know.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:31:29 pm »
I understand that it is disturbing when a "good friend" withholds medical information (for whatever reason).   I have a long-time friend here in town of over 30 years...he waited until he was over 8 days into radiation therapy to tell me he has prostate cancer.  Why?  I have no idea....he certainly knows all my deep dark ugly stuff.....it makes me wonder is there something about ME that made him not feel free to discuss it?   Maybe not wanting to burden me with more medical worries?  Who knows, you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure them out...

I am blessed to have some long-time friends of 30+ years (and two of mine are also not HIV+).   Sorry to say I lost one old friend last week (who was HIV+) to lung cancer.   Chemo and radiation proved too much for him, unfortunately.

Glad to hear your friend is getting excellent medical care, that puts your mind at ease a bit.

hugs,
Alan
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:33:13 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:39 am »
I've been thinking about this for the past couple of day.

Why would someone be reticent to disclose to a friend, someone they have known for a long time?

As Alan pointed out, people facing other serious maladies also do this, so I don't think it is just HIV related.

Maybe people fear being a burden.

What I was thinking about was why do we become upset we weren't informed?

I think there are many reasons, from wanting to be there for this person to possibly feeling cheated because someone you feel close to and know well for a long period has withheld something of this magnitude from you. You, or I , may feel the relationship may not be as substantial as we may have believed it was.

This raises a lot of questions for which I have no answers. I don't know if anyone does.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:38:39 am »
hullo , all

I know several  friends  that have never told anyone about their  status !

When did it become good manners  to  have to know  everything in a friends mind ?

I believe , if you want to tell , by all means tell !

But if their is no reason I.E.  not a sex partner  , or working with people  that you may have fluid contact , why tell !

Not  all  HIV/AIDS  people  NEED  to unload their life storey !

I on the other hand  like to tell people , I enjoy telling people  I am  about to CROAK  of a terrible  disease !

Karl

" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.