Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:41:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question on Oraquick Advance Oral Swab  (Read 13332 times)

Offline Katiebug24

Question on Oraquick Advance Oral Swab
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »

Hello! I've been dealing with a great amount of anxiety over HIV after a rape last year. I finally got up the nerve to do a rapid test after a lot of therapy. It has been 7 months since the rape. I took the Oraquick rapid HIV test and it came back negative. I was ecstatic. However, my mind started wandering and I began questioning the accuracy of the test. The test takes 20 minutes. The clinician took my swab at 11:57-11:58. He read me my negative results at 12:16-12:17. My question is... If I were to have been read my results 1 or 2 minutes early would that make a difference on the result? Can a negative change to a positive in that last minute or two? Thank you all for your answers in advance. Hopefully someone with knowledge on HIV testing can help answer my question  thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Question on Oraquick Advance Oral Swab
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:15:51 pm »
Sorry to hear about your terrible experience.

However, the good news is that you tested negative with an approved test. The Oraquick is very fast and yes, it does yield an accurate result. Don't allow the residual feelings that may be lingering from that experience to complicate what is a reliable result. Yes, you are HIV negative. Period. No further testing is necessary.

Make sure you get whatever support you may need in relation to the rape. We cannot help you with that in this setting. But at least the cloud about HIV has been put to rest reliably.
Andy Velez

Offline Katiebug24

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »
Thank you for responding. I just got nervous because I read that you're not supposed to read the result before the full 20 minutes and I don't know if I was read the results a little early... How can I stop worrying aout this without obsessively being tested again?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:25:21 am »
Thank you for responding. I just got nervous because I read that you're not supposed to read the result before the full 20 minutes and I don't know if I was read the results a little early... How can I stop worrying aout this without obsessively being tested again?
See a mental health professional.

Offline Katiebug24

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:31:53 am »
I've already stated that I'm going through therapy... That sort of goes without saying. I'm just trying to gain knowledge and support on the rules and info on HIV testing.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:37:36 am »
Reread Andy's reply to you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:22:43 am »
Katie,

When a rapid test is going to turn positive, they usually start doing so within five to ten minutes. The twenty minute requirement is more generally to make sure a result really is positive and not an indeterminate result, which would require further testing.

If you were positive from your rape, you would have had a strong positive result on a rapid test at seven months and it would have started turning positive within the first five to ten minutes, as I said above.

The couple minute difference of reading the test kit a few minutes before the twenty minute mark is NOT going to make one bit of difference. You do not have hiv.

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do NOT have hiv!!!

I hope you can start to put this ordeal behind you now. Be happy you don't also have to deal with hiv as a result of this crime. Hang in there, and good luck finding peace.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Katiebug24

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 12:13:35 pm »
Thank you so much for the kind and detailed answer. May I ask where you got this information? Personal experience? Study?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 12:32:25 pm »
If you want to know more about those who respond here you can read our profiles.

Ann has as always given you the real deal.

You are worrying needlessly about HIV at this point.
Andy Velez

Offline Katiebug24

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 12:36:02 pm »
I know thank you Andy. I'm not doing well coping with everything. I came here for answers and you guys graciously gave them to me. Thank you all for your time. I sincerely appreciate it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 12:39:44 pm »
You're welcome. Good luck with getting on successfully with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »
Katie,

I was told how the 20 minute rapid tests react by a nurse at my hiv clinic who I've become friendly with over the years. He's qualified to do the whole gamut of STI testing and I pick his brains on a regular basis about the various tests.

I've also studied research studies published in peer-review scientific publications concerning hiv testing, diagnosis and risk factors for over ten years now. I'm also hiv positive, so a fair bit of what I know does come from personal experience in keeping my hiv negative sex partners hiv negative.

You do not have hiv from this incident, so hopefully you can begin to put it behind you now. Good luck - I know first hand it's not easy, but it will get better in time and the therapy will help. Stick with it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Katiebug24

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:57:59 am »
Ann
Thank you so much for providing me with such a detailed answer. You went out of your way to relieve my anxiety and you don't even know me... You are an amazing person. I feel confident that I do not need further testing. The rape has took a toll on me and I'm trying to pull myself back together. Thanks to people like you, it makes it easier.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:30:46 am »
Katie,

You're welcome.

Please try to put all this behind you. As a rape survivor myself, I know that while it isn't easy, it is doable. It will get better in time. Stick with the therapy and good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Katiebug24

HIV-2 Question
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 09:22:58 pm »
Hey everyone. I have a question about HIV-2. I slept with a man a year and a half ago. 3 months after I went to take an Orasure oral swab that was negative. My husband and I want to try to start having a baby soon so I went to
Planned parenthood a few days ago to take another HIV test just to be sure. It was a finger prick test and It was also negative. Then my worried mind started questioning my test. I know that there are a few rapid tests that don't test for HIV-2. Is this something I should be specifically tested for before I try to start getting pregnant? PLEASE answer, I'm really concerned. Thanks all.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »
Katie, I've merged your threads here. It's a rule of the site as stated in the opening thread of this section that members should keep all entries in the same thread. So in the future if you have any entries please keep them in this same thread.

Now, your latest concern. You are worrying needlessly. You have reliably tested negative. There is no need to be further concerned nor any need for further testing. Good luck with your baby quest.

HIV is not a problem for you.
Andy Velez

Offline Katiebug24

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 01:24:09 am »
Thanks Andy. My real problem is anxiety I think. I just needed the reassurance, tha ks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 07:12:01 am »
Katie,

Are you still in therapy to help you come to terms with the rape? If you're not, you may need a few "top-up" sessions. Planning a pregnancy can be an anxious time even for people who have not experienced the trauma you have gone through.

Most rapid tests do look for both hiv 1&2. Ring PP and ask about their tests if it will put your mind at ease.

Please also be aware that hiv 2 is very rare in your part of the world. It's mainly only a concern in Western Africa and European countries who host large immigrant populations from Western Africa.

You don't have hiv, so go ahead and try for a baby. Good luck!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.