Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:50:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 580
Total: 580

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: conversion to digital broadcasting  (Read 3742 times)

Offline ademas

conversion to digital broadcasting
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:51:19 pm »
Are you ready for it?

My 2 televisions are both analog, and neither are very old (both about 4 years, and in great condition), and as much as I'd like a flat screen, I'm pretty practical about getting new stuff when the old stuff is working just fine.

I ordered the two $40 coupons (towards the purchase of converter boxes) last month (while they were still available), before I'd done any research, and they showed up in the mail today.  It turns out I don't need them, as Comcast has me covered (so they say...)

I'm not sure what to do with the coupons.  I'm almost tempted to buy 2 boxes anyway, as I can get them for close to nothing, and just hold on to them as long as I have analog sets.  That seems kind of wasteful, though.

So...are you ready for DTV?

Offline Robert

Re: conversion to digital broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:39:39 am »

Yep..I am now.  This past weekend I got things all hooked up and ready to go.  I got my coupons last spring and my boxes last fall.  Thanks to Little Steve, I went on-line and got some information about antennas.  I also have an old (8 years) Sony and nothing is wrong with it.  I don't have cable.  With the analog I was able to get 5 channels.  Now with the antennae I get the same 5 stations only now some of them have doubled-up.  Check this out.

Analog             Digital

Stations:          7 (ABC)          7.1 and 7.2
                      9 (PBS)          9.1 and 9.2 and 9.3
                     12 (CBS)          12.1 and 12.2
                     20 (FOX)          20.1 and 20.1
                     24 (NBC)          24.1 and 24.2

Sometimes the 2 stations show the same show.  But not always.  The PBS stations are different.  Fox has the usual and something weird.  NBC as the usual and a 24 hour weather station.

So I'm happy.  Still no cable or satellite.  Just regular TV with better reception, a clearer picture and more stations.

robert

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:24:07 am »
The only people who need converters are those who use an antenna to get their TV stations.

Nobody who is on cable, FIOS, or Satellite will need a converter.

FAR too many people who are on cable/sat have ordered converters when they didn't need to, which is why the funding has been depleted FAR too soon and coupons are no longer being sent out.

They should have been more clear about this.  Your cable/sat box IS a converter.  The law applies ONLY to Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:04:01 am »
The law applies ONLY to Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts.
What do you call Satellite? Don't you mean those that have analog antennas?

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:04:34 am »
Cable gets turned off if the bill isn't paid.
It's a complex world

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:15:27 am »
What do you call Satellite? Don't you mean those that have analog antennas?

Satellite (Dish/DirecTV) is a digitally encrypted signal.  Always has been digital.

Only people who use antennas need converters.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:58 am »
You can buy antennas for digital reception instead of the box converters.

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:44:00 am »
You can buy antennas for digital reception instead of the box converters.

Only if your TV is newer and has a digital tuner.  Older TVs with anolog tuners using an antenna will need the converter box.   

Offline randym431

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09:13 am »
Most new tv's have digital tuners already.
What is going to be nice, and some what of a treat for antenna digital tv, and
a hit for pay cable-dish-direct, is that in digital stations can now transmit "layered"
digital tv signals. PBS in my area already has four PBS stations xx.1, xx.2, xx.3, xx.4.
And last night frontline was on one and Nova on another while ant road show was on another.

This is new, the "change". But as tv networks like cbs, abc and nbc get up to speed over the next few years,
you will see a lot of layered digital multi signals for each network.
Looking into the future, digital free ota stations will find they can finally regain their place in the broadcast
industry by offering a heck of a lot of quality programming - free.

Imagine NBC with a 24/7 news channel like CNN, but for free on station xx.2.
Then maybe an all classic movie channel on xx.3 from NBC.
Imagine the networks using free digital transmission layered multi channels, their
ability to have commercials running on all those new channels.
They would greatly increase their ability to bring in the $$$$.

NBC for example now has their standard network feed.
With adding 24/7 news on nbc xx.2 and say movies on nbc xx.3,
all stations with commercials, imagine the revenue they could and WILL rake in.

So "LOOK OUT" CNN, TBS, TCM and all those pay channels carried only by
cable or satellite FOR A PRICE!
Would you LOVE to have, say, 50+ free digital antenna channels available?
And drop that $50+ Dish, directv or cable tv bill ?
Believe me, a lot of folks will realize they don’t really need CNN and others when
NBC and the others offer similar digital for free.

What about pay movie channels, like HBO? Well, with some imagination and creativity,
the networks could offer new the same. In reality, most those movies on the pay
premium channels like SHO and HBO are older movies like FLASHDANCE, etc etc.
(most of them, that is)

So what is going to stop NBC or ABC in offering similar movie channels, FREE,
recouping their fee's by running commercials?
IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

And let me add, networks like NBC, ABC and CBS H.A.T.E. (just HATE) paying Dish, directv and cable all those "FEE"S" for carrying their network
feed to dish and cable subscribers.

Here in my area, ABC network was black (pulled) from dish networks service because
ABC and DISH NETWORK could not agree on a fee to charge ABC. ABC said their required
dish fee was way out of line. Dish network said "so.. pay up ABC". Well ABC DID NOT pay up, so
dish pulled ABC from their service.

Believe it... ABC will be knocking heads to totally dump those pay tv service providers, like directv,
and give them a run for their money be offering multi channel free digital programming.
TAKE THAT DIRECTV!!!

Sooooo, this "digital" change is just the beginning. And very good news for folks wanting to save
money and dump the dish or cut that cable.

Plus, consider this. FREE antenna digital tv will be more reliable than cable or satellite ever was.
You never hear of antenna tv going out from a rain storm, like satellite services and some cable too.
(I could be wrong on that... not sure if digital ota would be affected by hard rain)
But it will not be affected by heavy cloud cover, like satellite can be.

One more plus... over the air digital tv will also be DIGITAL. The sharpest high quality picture available.
Satellite and cable are limited to bandwidth from the source satellite or cable line.
That is why satellite providers keep needing to launch more and more satellites into space,
and that is a huge cost to them, PASSED ONTO YOU. As well as cable needing to physically wire areas of the city
to provide cable service. Then the cost in upgrades and maint on those lines.

With digital over the air, its magically invisible...and FREE   ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:42:42 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:23:42 am »
NOW... the down side..
As you might guess, at some point the government will try to step in and screw things up.
First they might try to impost some encryption so over the air digital signals can not be received,
unless you then have to buy some type of digital antenna box that they can "turn you off"
if you do not pay the tax or fee's for free service. Like the local taxes and fee's imposed by
local governments on the phone companies.

And to add more insult. the pay providers like DISH, DIRECTV and CABLE will cry VERY LOUDLY
to government officials wanting "fairness" due to their loss of revenue from over the air free TV.
So no doubt the government will figure out how to charge fee's to level the playing field.

But... on the plus side. Digital is coming. If you get TV over the air via an antenna, rejoice!
You're in for a treat (while it lasts).

PS... and that box for older tv's? It will be well worth it.
I'd get one even if I don't need one right now.
Because the price will probably go up and the coupons disappear.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:27:29 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Seadickrun

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:24:12 pm »
Roommate slapped a tuner card in the pc and that took care of the digital/analog problem. 

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 02:52:17 pm »
Take a look at this video...clearly explains how simple the change will be.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-pD-M0rY4

Jeff

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 03:46:26 pm »
Take a look at this video...clearly explains how simple the change will be.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-pD-M0rY4

Jeff

That is freakin' hilarious!!!

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 05:32:52 pm »
I attempted to help my boyfriends elderly father by hooking up his box late last year. I swear I got everything plugged into the right place but it sure as heck did not work out for me. LOL
Not long after he was able to get someone to mess with his antenna on the roof and get it to work.

I'm not planning on buying any new TVs while the ones I have work just fine. I enjoy having cable but it stinks that if I chose to no longer have it I would not be able to watch my perfectly good TVs without the hassle of that dreaded box.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 06:14:59 pm »
Roommate slapped a tuner card in the pc and that took care of the digital/analog problem. 

Partner bought a 42" HD-TV he has Comcast w/ HSI, I'm not much of T.V. watcher, however I do like the Comcast HSI connection, he also has Digital Cable Channels, (HBO, SHOWTIME,ONCORE) he didn't want the over-priced HD-converter-cable-boxes, cuz he thought that it was a Big-Rip-off.........HD isn't worth the cost, and I cannot tell any difference between HD and Digital Cable, it looks the same to me on an HD-TV....
we donated our old TV along with the digital-converter-box to a local homeless shelter, they were very happy and Greatful for that  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:20:06 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.