Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 380
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I don't get the Tea Party  (Read 33055 times)

Offline RapidRod

Re: I don't get the Tea Party
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2010, 07:15:03 am »
It scares me because what people get away with happens in the US often emboldens conservatives all around the world. People here in the UK sometimes agitate that we should have a health care system more like the mess that you have - those people have obviously not lived under both systems like I have and have no idea what they're talking about.

I also have family and friends who live in the US. So yes, I'm frightened for them. I'm not one of those "I'm ok, Jack" people, I care about others too.
Thanks for explaining your concerns.

Granny60

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2010, 11:18:55 am »
I sure do, David. To stop this epidemic, I think it's incumbent on ALL of America to stop and/or treat HIV wherever it is.

I think all the overtaxed people in NY and Cali (and the other 48 states) need to fork over money to pay for AIDS prevention and treatment in Malawi, South Africa, etc. too. So if it's okay to do PEPFAR for the whole world, it's okay to do it for all the states too. (Although I am assuming that you agree with the American policy to pay for people in other countries to get meds while the gov't of those countries buy military planes and waste their capital on fraud, waste and theft. I don't think I've ever heard you expounding against American spending money to solve the HIV/AIDS epidemic in other parts of the world.)

Do you really think that pozzies in the States should die to prove some point?
It sure won't be the state legislators who are dying without HIV meds.

and why continue along this line of reasoning? because it's a freaking epidemic.
This is about the ultimate in "universal health care"

Epidemics don't care about boundaries, borders, red or blue states, who's paying taxes, or who's a D or R. If you let SC, Florida and Texas become hotbeds of raging HIV/AIDS epidemic, it won't be long until it becomes more of a problem back in NY and Cali (and elsewhere). Looking back at and learning from the history of HIV in America, it's because of the hotbeds of early HIV infection in big cities in Cali and NY that HIV spread as it did throughout the states. Not stopping HIV in every state, would just cause the reverse to happen 10 yrs in the future.

Of course, one alternative (I'm trying to think of other solutions, any solutions) would be for pozzies to move to the states that do provide better care for their citizens; but then the states you are railing against would just get off scott free of paying anything at all towards the problem. At least while people stay in FL and Texas, those states are having to deal with the accompanying issues of medical care, food stamps, housing, etc.

Whether it's Malawi that won't pay for it's citizens HIV health care or SC, FL or TX that won't pay for it's citizens HIV health care, it's only wise to step in and handle the situation to save lives, to save money in the long run, and (selfishly) to save everyone else in the world from the epidemic too.

Goes all the way back to Ronald Reagan who the republicans worship as their gun toteing Budda who had a chance to  head this epidemic off from the start,  but noooooo,  We have to put more people in government jobs ( yes gov't employment went UP during Reagan/Bush) and increase military spending instead.   ::)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2010, 04:52:03 pm »
OK lets get back to my topic thread and brainstorm.
Has anyone heard a tea partier with vision and a viable plan for "fiscal responsibility"?

I am no great fan of Reagan and didnt share his policy goals, but he was an experienced politician, a serious man and a sincere man. I never felt for a second he went into politics for money or power. 

The current Republican gloating about a message to Obama from the American people, just seems so fucking empty.  Its all reactionary and negative and undoing.  Where is the fucking vision?  I truly believe that big corporations and the billionaires club are having their way, using unthinking cows, who think they are part of a movement which is nonsensical.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »
OK lets get back to my topic thread and brainstorm.
Has anyone heard a tea partier with vision and a viable plan for "fiscal responsibility"?

I am no great fan of Reagan and didnt share his policy goals, but he was an experienced politician, a serious man and a sincere man. I never felt for a second he went into politics for money or power. 

The current Republican gloating about a message to Obama from the American people, just seems so fucking empty.  Its all reactionary and negative and undoing.  Where is the fucking vision?  I truly believe that big corporations and the billionaires club are having their way, using unthinking cows, who think they are part of a movement which is nonsensical.

Not ashamed to admit it: I loved Reagan. It's probably impossible to agree with anyone on everything, but, for my money, he was a great American and really made a difference in this world. 

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2010, 05:12:21 pm »
Wow... a Tea Party king (Jim DeMint) states on Meet The Press (www.nbcnews.com) that Repubs are not for cuts to SS and Medicare!  LOL... what a bunch of hypocrites... crowing for privitization just four years ago.

LOL.. some of these guys will do anything to get back in power.

The funniest thing about the interview is when DeMint begins stating his answer to David Gregory about how SS and Medicare are off the table, he starts choking.  He can't swallow his own lies as he tows the new Republican party line.  He hates FDR entitlement programs.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2010, 05:24:42 pm »
Not ashamed to admit it: I loved Reagan. It's probably impossible to agree with anyone on everything, but, for my money, he was a great American and really made a difference in this world. 

If you had been diagnosed with AIDS in 1984 would you have thought the same thing?  I mean, you're the same age as I am so assuming you were out of the closet back then what exactly were your thoughts as gay men were croaking left and right and Reagan had zilch to say about it?

Great President my ass.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2010, 05:27:56 pm »
It's probably impossible to agree with anyone on everything

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »
The current Republican gloating about a message to Obama from the American people, just seems so fucking empty.  Its all reactionary and negative and undoing.  Where is the fucking vision?

I don't know a lot about the Tea Party but my impression is that this isn't a political party but a reaction to Obama, the Democrats and the failed economy. Basically it is an umbrella of people who don't like the federal government, don't like taxes, don't want healthcare reform, don't want bailouts, do want stronger response to illegal immigrants and don't like having a black president. I think this movement is almost entirely reactionary and they don't have, or want, a vision.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:10 pm »

That didn't answer my question, that just dodged it. 

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2010, 05:33:42 pm »
My thoughts were pretty much the same as what everyone else's thoughts probably were. Mainly, WTF is going on and how are "they" going to cure this? I won't dismiss his entire presidency, though, based on just HIV/AIDS.

Offline mecch

« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »
Why is Obamas presidency considered a failure on HIV/AIDS?  Is it not the states' responsibility to fund the people in need of ADAP?
Doesn't he get some cred for Health Care Reform, since thats inching towards all sick people getting basic health care as a right?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Granny60

« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »

Read the link below.  Notice the number of Federal employees never went down,  but actually rose during Reagan Bush.  More republican Hypocrasy.  During Reagan the Farmers all went Broke, Remember the Farm crisis?  We were getting 60 to 70 bankruptcy auction sale bills  in the mail per week.  The Savings and Loans went broke,  The railroads and trucking companies went broke,  But  due to republican propaganda, and money pouring in from right wing moral  majority wack jobs such as Rush Limbaugh,  Newt Gingrich , Pat Robertson, and Jerry  Falwell,    Reagan was the saving angel Budda to be worshiped.

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=228

see also Reagan and Aids,  there are hundreds of links to be found

http://www.thebody.com/content/art14034.html

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-08/opinion/17428849_1_aids-in-san-francisco-aids-research-education-cases

Since you probably won't read the links, I have pasted this quote: according to his White House physician, Reagan thought of AIDS as though "it was measles and it would go away." Reagan's biographer Lou Cannon claims that the president's response to AIDS was "halting and ineffective."
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:18:23 pm by Granny60 »

Granny60

« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
If you had been diagnosed with AIDS in 1984 would you have thought the same thing?  I mean, you're the same age as I am so assuming you were out of the closet back then what exactly were your thoughts as gay men were croaking left and right and Reagan had zilch to say about it?

Great President my ass.

Actually your ass may be smarter and less of a hypocrite.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2010, 06:35:59 pm »

"The failure to act"    The Reagan Administrations deliberate failure to address the aids Epidemic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxz9M36LjYY

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »
Don't know.

Hey Texas Pete -- no comment on my link down below about Texas thinking of cutting out Medicaid?  

Ok Pennsylvania Pat I've skimmed the article and here is my comment...

Pffffffft! Barbara PLEASE! This is merely a bunch a conservs who are threatening to withdraw from Medicaid merely to give Washington the big middle finger. Nothing will ever happen with it. Hell this is coming from the state to threatens to secede about every 2 years, hell even Perry mentioned seceding last year in a news conference. You can't believe anything that comes out of the mouths of these whack jobs in Austin. What else you got?\

-T. Pete
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:32:51 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2010, 08:10:56 pm »
Please explain how the administration was able to come up with $26 million to clear the lists in a couple states.

I fear the discussion has moved on and this is becoming quite a hi-jack, but this is actually an interesting question to the budget geeks and one which they only partially explained.  For an overview of Federal HIV/AIDS funding see this Kaiser Family Foundation doc:  http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/7029-05.pdf

As this doc shows, federal ADAP monies come from the annual appropriations process (unlike Social Security and Medicare which are already authorized through a permanent "mandatory" appropriation and the government just pays the bills).  What HHS said at the time was that the monies were "reallocated from dozens of programs from throughout HHS. "  http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2010pres/07/adap.html  Presumably that means they went through every program that they could argue might be read to support ADAP's goals and looked to see whether more had been appropriated than was going to be used and swept up the unused money and set it aside as additional ADAP funding.  This was likely practical because they were almost at the end of the fiscal year (Sep 30) and
had a good idea where there would be surpluses.  It doesn't seem like a good long term strategy though.  Instead, Congress needs to apporpriate more money.  The Administration asked for another $50 million back in February, but it needs to ask for more.

Of course not everyone with HIV is on ADAP. I never said otherwise. I assumed the reader would know this without stating the obvious. However I submit that even ONE person on a waiting list is too many.

Agreed, but please provide some supporting information that everyone on waiting lists is being covered through these means.

Absolutely agreed! Show me where I said this was not true, I applaud the initiative wholeheartedly, my concern is that they did not provide a mechanism to get people Meds immediately if need be. However I'll go further and propose that perhaps the inverse of that statement is true...Is there a potential that someone diagnosed under T&T with a cd4 of 25 and a VL in the millions is then placed on a waiting list , but under the pressure of it all just "gives up" and goes off the radar and throws in the towel?

-will
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."  and here we aren't even dealing with the realistically perfect but the hypothetical.  If we could get the waiting lists down to, say, less than one month, we would have ample reason to celebrate victory and move on. 
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »
I don't know a lot about the Tea Party but my impression is that this isn't a political party but a reaction to Obama, the Democrats and the failed economy. Basically it is an umbrella of people who don't like the federal government, don't like taxes, don't want healthcare reform, don't want bailouts, do want stronger response to illegal immigrants and don't like having a black president. I think this movement is almost entirely reactionary and they don't have, or want, a vision.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

I agree in the main.  But in some ways it seems like a temporary grouping that is almost being set up/encouraged as a way for conservative Republicans to express their disgust and nihilism without having to take responsibility for proposing solutions the way a permanent party does. (Or at least the way that in theory a permanent party does, although it is difficult to reconcile the Pledge with taking responsibility in practice)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline edfu

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2010, 06:17:52 am »
I've been depressed and saddened and horrified by many things that I've read on AIDSmeds.com, but nothing so much as someone here actually praising Ronald Reagan. 

George Santayana, HELP!!!
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2010, 09:03:26 am »
Tea Party poster child Sen. Elect Rand Paul of KY (sry folks I did my part to see it didn't happen) appeared on This Week w/Christiane Amanpour.  In a 15 minute interview where he was questioned continually about specific cuts he could not offer specific answers.  "CUT SPENDING"  "BALANCE THE BUDGET" "REDUCE THE DEBT"  simple words that sound good and appeal to the base, but Congressman who continue saying them cannot provide a fiscal responsible answer as to how it is all done.  But at least they got to elected.  Here is the link to the story and video:   http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/rand-paul-long-budget-cuts-short-specifics/story?id=12079618

"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline mecch

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2010, 03:38:25 pm »
Same with Michelle Bachmann on Anderson Cooper.  Blurbs, sound bites, talking points, no concrete suggestions.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 01:14:45 am »
Ok Pennsylvania Pat I've skimmed the article and here is my comment...

Pffffffft! Barbara PLEASE! This is merely a bunch a conservs who are threatening to withdraw from Medicaid merely to give Washington the big middle finger. Nothing will ever happen with it. Hell this is coming from the state to threatens to secede about every 2 years, hell even Perry mentioned seceding last year in a news conference. You can't believe anything that comes out of the mouths of these whack jobs in Austin. What else you got?

-T. Pete

You laugh now...

source

Legislature likely to cut deep to meet possible $25 billion budget gap

Texas faces a budget crisis of truly daunting proportions, with lawmakers likely to cut sacrosanct programs such as education for the first time in memory and to lay off hundreds if not thousands of state workers and public university employees.

Texas' GOP leaders, their eyes on the Nov. 2 election, have played down the problem's size, even as the hole in the next two-year cycle has grown in recent weeks to as much as $24 billion to $25 billion. That's about 25 percent of current spending.

The gap is now proportionately larger than the deficit California recently closed with cuts and fee increases, its fourth dose of budget misery since September 2008.

Granny60

« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:19 am »
You laugh now...

source

Legislature likely to cut deep to meet possible $25 billion budget gap

Texas faces a budget crisis of truly daunting proportions, with lawmakers likely to cut sacrosanct programs such as education for the first time in memory and to lay off hundreds if not thousands of state workers and public university employees.

Texas' GOP leaders, their eyes on the Nov. 2 election, have played down the problem's size, even as the hole in the next two-year cycle has grown in recent weeks to as much as $24 billion to $25 billion. That's about 25 percent of current spending.

The gap is now proportionately larger than the deficit California recently closed with cuts and fee increases, its fourth dose of budget misery since September 2008.

Clearly right wing republican blathering mouth Wackjob control of Texas for a number years has gotten the state nowhere then.  ::) Let em cecede from the U.S.  In a year we could  invade them like a broken third world country.  Without the 1/3 rd of their budget that comes fromthe  Federal gov't.  they would fall in a mud puddle face first.
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/campaign-rhetoric-obscures-facts-about-federal-money-172606.html 

Offline edfu

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
If they seceded, we'd end up paying them billions in foreign aid! 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Granny60

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2010, 08:19:01 pm »
If they seceded, we'd end up paying them billions in foreign aid! 

Good point. We would probably end up doing that even if we invaded and occupied them. ???

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2010, 11:01:12 am »
today on FoxSunday 11/14, I heard my Senator, Jim Demint R-SC, the nominal leader of the Tea Party movement in the Senate, say the craziest thing: "If he (Obama) wants to work on our side of the ledger, then we can work together." So if the President wants to do things Demint's way, then Demint will be happy to compromise. ::) Perhaps Mr. Demint needs to re-read the dictionary for the definition of "compromise".
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2010, 10:53:04 am »
source

A conservative Maryland physician elected to Congress on an anti-Obamacare platform surprised fellow freshmen at a Monday orientation session by demanding to know why his government-subsidized health care plan takes a month to kick in.

Republican Andy Harris ... reacted incredulously when informed that federal law mandated that his government-subsidized health care policy would take effect on Feb. 1 – 28 days after his Jan. 3rd swearing-in.

“He stood up and asked the two ladies who were answering questions why it had to take so long, what he would do without 28 days of health care" ... “Harris then asked if he could purchase insurance from the government to cover the gap," added the aide, who was struck by the similarity to Harris’s request and the public option he denounced as a gateway to socialized medicine.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2010, 11:39:42 am »
I am not sure if I want to laugh or cry!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.