Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:40:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Experiences with UK employment health questionnaires  (Read 13398 times)

Offline Cliff

Experiences with UK employment health questionnaires
« on: October 04, 2006, 07:15:35 am »
I have to complete a health questionnaire for my new job.  It specifically ask if I am HIV positive (or have reason to believe that I may be HIV positive).  The questionnaire also request that I give consent to have a medical report obtained from my doctors.

Do most positive folks inform their employers of their HIV status?  In the UK can you be denied employment simply for being HIV positive?  If not, then why do employers ask for your status?

Offline Poz Brit

Re: Experiences with UK employment health questionnaires
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:35:55 am »
Cliff it is unlawful to discriminate some one with HIV in the UK, Phone The Terrence Higgins Trust. 0845 12 21 200 or www.tht.org.uk they are an excellent organisation that will help you with any aspect of HIV/AIDS, they know about all the current laws affecting us, they have helped me no end, for information, counselling, financial and just meeting other sufferers. All is free and comes with a smile, on certain days in the week they hold a drop in, where you can go for a tea, coffee, something to eat, or just a chat.

John(UK)

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:45:08 am »
Perhaps you can find some answers here :  http://www.ukcoalition.org/epf/positivepeople/disclosure.php

Good luck

Offline carousel

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:21:20 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:31:42 pm by carousel »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:44:30 am »
Thanks for the info.  I spoke to THT.  Here's what they said (in a nutshell):

1.  Contact an employment attorney (no time for that and probably not necessary as there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room).

2.  Lie and run the risk that my employment contract is voided if they find out I lied.  But to lie I would take a gamble that they decide to not request my medical records (fat chance of that happening considering how detailed they are being with everything else).

3.  Refuse to answer the question and let them draw their own conclusions, which will probably result in them obtaining my medical records and finding out anyway.  Refuse to answer the question and refuse to provide them with my medical records, (but if I don't furnish my medical records they would resind the employment contract...so I really don't have a choice in the matter).

4.  Tell the truth and give them access to my medical file and see what happens. 

I asked if there were certain items in my medical records that I could demand the doctor not disclose to them, THT said no.  The doctor would be obligated by law to disclose anything and everything that is in my file.

So it's option No. 4 and a lesson learned...never, ever disclose my HIV status to any medical professional other than my HIV doc.

Offline Just John

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:08:22 pm »
Hi Cliff,

sorry to hear that you've been placed in this position especially when things appeared to be going your way, still it doesn't necessarily mean that the company will be in any way negative about your status. I believe that you are right to go with option 4 even though you didn't really have much of a choice, just brazen it out now and hopefully your attitude will encourage them to view the situation rationally.

As for never disclosing to other health care professionals again; well I'm not too sure about that one. I didn't disclose to anybody at all except my partner until 12 months ago when I told my General Practitioner, I discussed my fears about him releasing the information to insurance companies & etc. and he assured me that, provided I altered the information request from "medical record", to "relevant medical record" then he would be legally able to withold any information which he deemed that it was unnecessary to divulge.

Although the choice of disclosure was always left to me, it was brought up for discussion several times by my HIV doctor. His advice was always that it was probably safer to disclose than not to, the reasons he gave were that; Because your G.P. is your primary healthcare contact for all your minor ailments, his knowledge of positive status could help by alerting him to the fact that for instance, stronger, or longer courses of antibiotics might be needed for normally simple ailments, it should also alert him to the possibility of diseases or complications which don't normally affect neggies. There is also the fact that if you're taken to hospital as an accident or emergency patient they will contact your G.P. for your records rather than your HIV doctor and so again your treatment might be inappropriate or you end up with an unplanned treatment holiday. Likewise your dentist should be alerted to certain conditions which are worse or only commonly occur in positive people - although I haven't told mine yet.

Anyhow Cliff I really do have my fingers crossed for you and send you lots of positive wishes for what I'm certain will be your new job.

John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:21:08 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:29:09 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:30:38 pm »
Cliff, I worked for an American firm while living in London and they even expected us to work Christmas day. For all you who don't travel abroad- London is closed or back in the 80's it was. the tube didn't even run!
When it comes to internation companies many  try to bend the rules claiming that they use another countries labour laws. Needless to say I didn't show and the company lost so much money those 2 days ( yes even though America swears it is a christian nation the second most important day is not a holiday) that they gave up
I am wondering will they allow you stay though you are poz, and not having a Euro passport?.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 08:37:49 pm »
Hi John,

I will check to see on the possibility of changing the medical report request.  Although I would still have to lie and then hope that this option is available and that the doctor is comfortable with excluding this from the report.  According to THT and UKC the doctor would be legally obligated to disclose it on a Medical Report and the consent waiver does specifically say that this is a Medical Report requested based upon some Medical Report Act of 1988 so it sounds like they are being pretty specific, which may limit my ability to change the report title.  However, I will have access to the report before they get it.  BUT according to UKC if I make any changes to this report, it doesn't go to them as a clean report, inclusive of my comments.  The original comments will be blacked out and some statement about the applicant has declined to release this information and has instead requested this new information be included in the report.  Which makes it looks very suspicious.  I guess I will need to meet with my GP ahead of time to discuss the report should he be required to produce it.  What I don't know is if my HIV docs would also need to produce the report.  MY GP can't speak to my HIV status anyway considering he's not involved in that care.

Regarding disclosure.  My problem with disclosure has always been the loss of power that comes along with it.  And this exemplifies that loss of power.  I apparently have no rights to medical confidentiality, (well unless I choose not to work....which is not an option available to someone when you are legally barred from any public funds as a work permit/HSMP visa immigrant).  I thought I was doing a good thing by rattling off my HIV history when I first met my GP.  But that was the only time we discussed HIV.  It hasn't been very relevant to the issues that he deals with and to be honest I doubt he even remembers (unless it is red flagged on the computer screen he constantly looks at when we meet).  If it ever became relevant I could always just discuss the issue first with my HIV doc (who does know everything that my GP is doing...which isn't much quite frankly).  The same thing goes for my dentist.  I did the supposedly right thing in telling him about my status and yet he hasn't done anything different (nor even discussed it) than my previous dentist who had no clue about my HIV status...they both checked my mouth for oral health, felt my lymph nodes, did the full set of xrays, etc...  

People tell you about the benefits of fully disclosing your status to all your medical professionals.  But no one every mentions the possible downfalls of having such a policy.  No one has ever informed me that should I choose to disclose to my GP, he  would be legally obligated to release that information to any prospective employer should that employer request it.  Had I known that, I probably would have chosen to avoid disclosing my status to my GP and dentist.  Oh well, what's done is done.  I've founds some good language to put into the form (basically saying that I am in perfect health, despite my HIV status for this particular position).

Alain, it's a contractual employment (i.e., not a union position).  I don't think they have much leeway into changing my contract (especially not after they have already made an offer and we have concluded negotiations on the terms of the contract), plus I wouldn't accept a lessor package just because I'm HIV positive (and legally they may be advised not to do such deals as it sounds risky from a discriminatory lawsuit perspective).

Cliff

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 09:11:47 pm »
Since you aren't under a Euro passport you might not be under the benefits granted to EU citizens. Back in the day 86-92 it was pretty messy. I had an Irish passport and never had to go to the home office, while a friend on a French  one had to go every 6 months. I also had a Candian friend whos mother was a Brit but was refused a passport because they only gave them to the paternal side.
 What are your chances of marrying that football player you fancy from France? So much for the global village.
Good luck
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 09:39:04 pm »
What are your chances of marrying that football player you fancy from France? So much for the global village.
LOL.  I'd have to get rid of the beautiful wife first.  But you never know...

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 10:33:58 pm »
Can you ask for asylum? Do what Ayaan Hirsi Ali did and say you are a prince who is being forced to marry if you return.  Desperate times call for desperate actions!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline carousel

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 05:22:46 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:28:48 pm by carousel »

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 08:35:16 am »
What saddens me is that, although you have been given some good advice, nobody has been able to say that you will not have any difficulties answering this question without lying.
Which goes to show that despite the glam and gloss of having Bono and celebs in our arena, how HIV impacts productive people as well. You should document all this and write a book, about HIV in the global village.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 08:47:07 am »
I don't think they have much leeway into changing my contract (especially not after they have already made an offer and we have concluded negotiations on the terms of the contract), plus I wouldn't accept a lessor package just because I'm HIV positive (and legally they may be advised not to do such deals as it sounds risky from a discriminatory lawsuit perspective).

Cliff, it sounds to me like they would be very  unwise to withdraw their employment offer or change your contract at this time in the proceedings. You'd have one very good lawsuit on your hands for their breach of the Disabilities Act. As I understand it, they cannot legally discriminate against you because of your hiv status, even though they might be entitled by law to be aware of that status.

Good luck Cliff. Keep us posted.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 10:15:21 am »
Ann is that true even for Americans with no  rights to stay in the country? From my understanding and reading Brit papers there is large debate as here illegals. The big thing then was Turkish women planning holidays in the UK so they can give birth and stay.
And as for lying the Dutch just dumped H.Ali out  for this, while conservative Americans are now happy to embrace her, with out checking her credentials.

It is ironic that besides my Irish passport, my dad was born in 1910 and I can also claim a Brit passport because of the paternal side as well as having a grandfather from Oxford and getting a stamp on my Yankee one. I have plenty of connections for EU citizenship too bad I couldn't give some of it away.
Btw I am curious on the criteria of obtaining an Australian passport, so I can finish the collection.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 10:24:47 am »
Johnny,

I think Cliff would be protected under the law because he is not an illegal immigrant. He has his visas in place, from what I understand of his posts, and that makes his standing legal, which means he has rights.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Just John

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 10:42:56 am »
Whooah Cliff !!!

I'm sorry if you got the impression from my post that I was encouraging you to lie, I certainly wasn't, if you do and later get found out you will almost certainly have your employment terminated on the grounds that you were dishonest, this reputation will also carry on to any future prospective employer with all the serious consequences that such disrepute brings. What I was trying to say, is that you don't necessarily give up ALL rights to your privacy, although in this case, because your employer asks the specific question your G.P. would be unlikely to be able to withold your status from them.

I hadn't, however, realised that you had already been offered the job, in this case as Ann says, if they now withdraw the offer they will leave themselves wide open to a claim for discrimination. Also, as I recall from your earlier threads on the job change the firm that you're dealing with is a large corporation is it not? In which case they are even less likely to discriminate against you and withdraw the offer, both because they will be entirely Au-Fait with current U.K. employment law and also because if they have a large staff you are less likely to be the only positive employee.

John.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 01:06:37 pm »
Hey John,

A miscommunication (my message was poorly written).  I didn't think you wanted me to lie.  When I saw your note, I actually went back to the forms to see if I could use your advice (Relavant Medical Report), but sadly I don't believe I can.  Anyways, I'm going to fill everything out tonight disclosing everything and using specific language to confirm that my health and my ability to perform this job is not impacted by my disease.  And you're right...it's BA and I'm certain they have plenty of HIV positive workers and are probably professional and legal when it comes to complying with the laws of the land.   

Thanks Ann.  I'm probably being too concerned about this..and hopefully it will be a non-issue.  The HR director called today and I thought he was going to tell me they were going to rescind the offer because I hadn't completed the health form.  Turns out he just wanted to keep me informed on the attorney's updating my immigration status with the Home Office.  I'm on edge right now, but things should be okay.

Hey Johnny,

Ann is correct.  I am a legal UK resident so I have the same rights as a UK citizen.  My HIV status does not impact my immigration status.  But that still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to marry Mr. Henry.  I'll even learn French if I have to.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 04:38:44 pm »
Hmmm... Cliff Henry, s'got a certain ring to it. (for the non-Europoids out there, it's not pronounced HEN-ree, it's pronounced on-REE)

Should I start shopping for a wedding hat? :D

Once again, good luck Cliff.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 02:14:53 pm »
Update...

Yesterday evening (8 PM to be exact) a nurse from BA called.  I was having drinks with a friend and had to step outside the bar.  She needed to ask me a bunch of questions about my status (last time I saw the doctor, what my labs were, any OI history, why I wasn't on meds...etc..).  I finally had enough and asked her why any of this mattered.  She explained that as a long-haul flight attendant I may be required to get certain vaccinations and can only be approved to get them if my health was satisfactory.  I quickly explained to her that I was NOT being considered for a flight attendant position.  I told her what the position was and she became flustered.  Apparently there was some sort of mix-up and I shouldn't have received a medical form in the first place.  She apologized and told me she would clear everything with HR ASAP.

Today I got a call from the HR director apologizing for the mix up and confirming that they will destroy any information I had submitted (of which nothing was disclosed to him) and that nothing I previously said to the nurse would leave the health department.

So I guess everything is fine.

Offline Just John

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 06:08:04 pm »
  ;DYIPEEEEEEEEEEE ;D

Please let us know when you start your job Cliff, I don't want to court bad luck by congratulating you just yet but that certainly seems like good news.

John.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 11:38:22 pm »
Hello Cliff. Let us know how it turns out.  Your story hits home for me, as just before my diagnosis I was going to apply for a BA cabin position as well (dual citizenship).  After getting the news I thought "there's no way they'll hire me now" so I didn't follow through.  I'm still freaked out about looking for a new job, and leaving my current one, so it's heartening to hear your story!
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 08:24:31 am »
NG, I'll keep you posted.  From the questions she asked, it sounds like they don't have a blanket ban on people with HIV.  It sounds like they just want to make sure you are healthy enough (tcell counts) to get certain types of vaccinations (though I'm not sure which vaccinations are needed).  It also seems like there may be a difference between whether or not you are applying for long-haul or short-haul (European destinations) crew.  If you go for it again, good luck!

Thanks John...Like you, I won't uncross my fingers until November 1st (targeted start date). 

Now if I can get just get the Home Office to hurry up with my new Visa (I received the approval letter for the HSMP visa but they now have my passport to issue a new visa and they say that process takes up to 9 weeks....9 weeks I don't have.  But BA assures me that their attorney's are working with the Home Office to speed things up, so we'll see.)  Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Cliff

Offline Cliff

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 11:17:45 am »
They've had a change of heart and now want to see my medical records.  They are initiating the request now.  Has anyone had this done before and can let me know what type of language their doctor(s) put into their reports?  Also, the request is going to my GP, who has nothing to do with my HIV care (which presumably is what they are after)....does the GP generally comment on HIV if they know I am going to an HIV clinic?

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 12:41:08 pm »
Cliff

At this point you've probably got no option but to honor their request and continue to act in good faith. 

The thing that bothers me was this:

Apparently there was some sort of mix-up and I shouldn't have received a medical form in the first place.  She apologized and told me she would clear everything with HR ASAP.

Today I got a call from the HR director apologizing for the mix up and confirming that they will destroy any information I had submitted (of which nothing was disclosed to him) and that nothing I previously said to the nurse would leave the health department.

They asked, you answered, they acknowledge a mix up, said the records would be destroyed and all information ignored, but now they are re-initiating  the request.

At best this is concerning, at worst there is something else going on.  Or perhaps this is all standard routine and means nothing.  (Hmm)

While the law may prohibit discrimination based upon HIV status, you and I both know that wouldn't stop them from "manufacturing" another reason for withdrawing the offer.  A reason which avoids the HIV issue and would be within the law. 

As I said what I would do is continue to act in good faith (the cat is out of the bag regarding HIV--no matter what they've said), BUT I would certainly consult with a Solicitor who specializes in employment law (the sooner the better).  I would also (if you haven't already) start keeping a log of every event (especially calls) that happens between you, BA, and the head hunter.

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice regarding UK employment health questionnaires.

Good luck and keep us posted.

RAB

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 02:52:45 pm »
Always get things in writing...

Your gp can only comment on the info he has in front of him - and if you’ve not been a uk resident that long, and are in fairly good health…he’s not going to have much to say. In my experience, they usually keep things very brief and clinical, language wise. If your new employer wanted further info re your (hiv related) health, they would need to make a separate application for this from your hiv consultant - so you’d need to give consent again. Unless you have made a request/need them to make adjustments to accommodate health needs, I can’t really see that this is an issue - you are well, well enough to be working full time, and your new job doesn’t sound the kind where hiv status is significant. If in doubt, give ukc/tht another ring…

Kate

Offline Cliff

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 10:03:14 am »
Thanks guys.  I gave UKC another ring today to discuss a little more in detail the HIV discrimination law, they are going to have one of their legal folks call me.  The HR Director just sent me a note saying that officially the health department has deferred my employment until they receive satisfactory reports from my GP.  I have an appointment with my GP today to hopefully discuss the medical report request.  I'm curious to see what they specifically want to know.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 12:36:24 pm »
Just got back from the doc.  He's funny.  He ask me questions about my status so he can complete the letter.  One of the questions was how I got it.  I said sex.  He says....oh so you're a homosexual.  He then types on my computer file....HOMOSEXUAL.  Good Lord, these doctors.  We then talk about insider trading and investments while he types out the following letter....I hope it works!

This report is to your letter to us dated 17.10.06, asking about the medical status of the above-named patient of ours who is under consideration for a senior management post with XX. 

I have consulted with him today in the surgery.  He has been a patient of ours for the last 10 months.

As he mentioned, he is HIV positive, dating back to 2003.  He goes to the local XX Centre clinic to consult with a specialist about this every 3 months.  He is currently fit and well and has never needed medication to treat the condition which is stable and his blood tests are all normal.  He has a 10 year history of reasonably well-controlled hypertension but no other medical conditions.

He is currently working as a Chartered Accountant and has never needed days off work whilst with us.

Please contact us if you require any further information.

Sincerely,

XXX

Offline Just John

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 12:44:11 pm »
Well Cliff, I hope that that does the trick and tells them all they need to know.

Fingers crossed again.

Offline Robert

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 11:30:42 pm »
Hi Cliff.

I can't give you any specific advise either.  But I've been keeping abreast of the latest developments.  Do you think they'll have an answer by next Wednesday, the 1st?  I hope so.  The waiting is just killing me.

robert

Offline Cliff

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2006, 08:47:02 am »
Hi Robert,

The head of their health group went on vacation after sending off the request for my medical report.  I didn't find that out until I emailed her a copy of the medical report, (in hopes of a quick resolution of the matter), and got an automated out-of-office email reply.  She's not back until this Wednesday.  I'm giving her a call then to see what's the next stage.  Hopefully the letter will suffice and she will release the deferral on my employment contract with HR.  Otherwise, I'll just have to see what more info they are requesting (biggest fear being that they will want something from my HIV doc).  I've decided that if they request anything else, then I will get legal representation as there is really nothing more that can (or should) be said about my HIV status.  I'm just not crazy about getting an attorney right now, since I'm living off my savings and I really need to keep a tight lid on spending. 

Now it's just a waiting game.  Thanks for your (and everyone else's help and thoughts)!  I'm feeling confident that things will go fine and if they don't then it's back to the drawing board.   ;)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 05:34:35 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Clif

Thank you for your prompt response to our request, I apologise for the delay in responding but I've been out of the office for a few days, the good news is that in my absence my deputy received the report & our consultant was happy to accept you as fit for your Senior Management post.  Recruitment were advised of that decision on Friday 20 Oct 06.

Regards,

A

Good news indeed.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 06:16:23 am »
congratulations, mr senior management person - glad it's all (finally!) sorted  :)  :)

kate

Offline carousel

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 06:41:30 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:30:02 am by carousel »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 07:27:51 am »
YAY CLIFFY!

Does this mean you are now a Senior Citizen? Are you going to start having Senior Moments? :D

Congrats Cliff, and good luck in your new post.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Just John

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 08:17:47 am »
Congratulations Cliff,  ;D ;D ;D

I hope the new job meets all your expectations.

John.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 09:40:24 am »

Good luck in your new job!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Robert

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 12:51:21 pm »
Cliff

Good news indeed.  I'm starting to feel better now.

I was just getting ready to call our friend Richard Branson over at Virgin to see if he could help us.  If this doesn't work out, let me know and we'll see what he can do.    Richard owes me big time.

robert

Offline northernguy

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 12:23:14 am »
Great news Cliff!  Hope everything works out.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 07:26:22 am »
Congratulations Cliff, I am pleased that it has all worked out OK for you.
Good Luck

John(UK)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 02:22:08 pm »
I started back working today!  Thanks everyone for your well wishes and guidance the last couple of months.

Offline simon695

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 05:13:34 pm »
This Whole Thread Made Compulsive Reading!
I Hope The Job Is Good,I Was So Impressed
With Your Articulation I Wanted To Offer You
A Job At My Company,Your Probably To Good
But I Bet We Pay More.
I Really Wish You The Best.
                 Si                 

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2006, 10:09:01 am »
I started back working today! 

Cliff

Awesome!  I must admit I was nervous there for awhile, but everything has worked out beautifully. 

So did you buy any planes on your first day?

Is there a company cafeteria?  If so is it the same food they serve on the airplanes?

Do you uppity ups in management have to wear uniforms too just like the cabin crew?

Why is their seating configuration so damned cramped?

Is there an oxygen mask over your desk?

I left a pair of earphones on a flight from London to Seattle back in 89, could you look around and see if you can find them? 

If you guys end up buying American Airlines would you then be known as the BAA! airline?  Like goats and sheep do I mean.  (Maybe one of Jan's goats could be the new company mascot?   :o)

Anyway, congrats again!

RAB

(Who's being silly cause he wants to.   ;))

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:10:45 am by RAB »

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2006, 03:34:41 pm »
Congratulations Cliff i'm glad everything went relatively smoothly and i've got to say you've done brilliantly to land a job at BA!  When I applied for my job I wasn't asked directly about HIV.  The only potential problem was the question 'Do you suffer from any other ailments' which I answered no to with regards to HIV because i'm not on medication at the moment.  I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me at a later date though!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Robert

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2006, 05:09:43 pm »
congratulations cliff   8)

and if you play your cards right, you can take credit for the current low price of oil ($58.65 per barrel).  Is it just a coincidence that the price of oil has gone down $12+/barrel on the day you started?  I don't think so.

Now play like Southwest and get a guaranteed price for future oil purchases.  You'll be in like Flint.

robert

PS... If I'm relieved, Will must be on cloud 9

Offline fearless

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2006, 11:46:23 pm »
Didn't the price of oil start falling the moment Cliff left the resources sector for his extended holiday - methinks Cliffy may have built up some strategic reserves whilst there.

Cliff, you are working for BA, yeah? they have buddy travel don't they? ;D
Do you get freebies? Do you have to travel? When you coming to Aus?

Little Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Cliff

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 11:46:07 pm »
LOL.  Thanks guys.  Things are well.  The people I work with are great.  Very relaxed (mostly), which is a much different world than where I came from.

And yeah, Lil Steve, a trip to Aus is coming (not sure how soon, but hopefully next year).  I haven't worked out the flying benefits yet (cos I don't have computer access yet....IT & HR are a bit slow).  But it seems good.  Not sure yet on the buddy flights...as I get conflicting answers (most folks here are married so they get free flights for the entire family....none aren't too sure how the company handles single folks).  Some say my family (parents and sister) can use the benefits.  Some say parents plus a significant other.  Some say parents plus a S/O or a friend (but restrictions on how many times you can change the beneficiary).  Not quite sure why parents get to benefit though.  Oh well, plenty of time to find out.  The best part is that apparently you can fly on any airline, not just BA.  All the airlines apparently share in staff benefits.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.