Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:31:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 622
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: AM I at risk  (Read 16060 times)

Offline moca

AM I at risk
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:09:57 am »
Had an encounter 9wks ago virgina intercourse use condom spermcide had open mouth kissing she suck my breast I sucked hers felt burning sensation in breast afterward I had heart burn inflamation of the esophagus 2wks later sore throat pallet swollen with a cold, some night sweats itching ears  went to doctor swab throat said had staph gave me predisone and antibiotic for pallet and sore throat 12 days later Dr said ok to have unprotected sex with wife about a week ago wife started having symptoms sore throat with a cold had one time direah a few fine bumps on chin a couple night sweats had same symptoms I had. Had oral rapid hiv test at 8 weeks and it was negative.  Do you think I got infected by this encounter ? Do you think I infected my wife. Are the symptoms similar to ARS Symptoms

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: AM I at risk
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:34:24 am »
Moca, it's no surprise that you tested negative. If the details of this incident is the only one you have any concern about then you can let it go right now. You used a condom which is exactly what you are supposed to do. They provide very effective protection. The kissing and such did not in any way present a risk for HIV transmission. You are worrying needlessly. There's no need for further testing.

Those symptoms? There is nothing in any way HIV specific about them and no, they don't sound like ARS to me. But again, you didn't have a risk.  If they persist it's something to discuss further with your doctor.

If you haven't already done so, please read our lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You're a dawg like a lot of us and you went straying. So you seem to have feelings about that. Avoid indulging in an orgy of guilt and anxiety about it. You can't rewrite that piece of your history. See it, accept it, let it go and get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:29:18 pm »
Thanks Andy for your reply. I use a  nonoxynol-9 spermicide condom latex would this make a difference as for as a break  down of the condom  and  cause hiv infection

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:08:15 am »
moca,

If nonoxynol-9 spermicide damaged condoms in any way, they wouldn't put it on them. 

You didn't have a risk and your result is not going to change. You do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline moca

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 08:38:42 am »
Thanks Ann But I have a question in your link on condoms lubs section  it says that the CDC in 2002 said don't use nonoxynol-9 coated condoms again do this means that there is a risk for men or women for hiv infection I still don't have a good understanding of this. This is my thinking also why would the manufactures put something on the market that is not safe.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:47:05 am »
nonoxynol-9 spermicide, does not affect the condom. It can cause irratations  in the vagina and anus which is theoretical possible to increase the risk of transmission with UNPROTECTED sex.

Offline moca

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:15:44 am »
Just trying to get an understanding why the manufacture would say stop using that brand type condom. Just want to make sure I was safe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:08:37 am »
moca,

The warning about N-9 pertains more to sex workers or others who have sex several times a day. As Rodney pointed out, they can sometimes cause irritation to the RECEPTIVE partner.

N-9 or not, you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection as you used a condom. Keep using them and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline moca

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 03:52:26 pm »
Can some one answer my questions please . Reagarding  my starter post .  I know ARS synptoms don't mean a thing concerning if one has  HIV Infection or not but have few questions.

1.Does ARS symptoms comes as  one symptoms or many?
Took wife to Hospital she has Bronchial Asthma
2.Is Bronchial Asthma an ARS symptom?
I have been having hot flashes and day sweats. No fever
3. Is hot flashes and day sweats part of ARS symptoms?
4.Why do I feel like I have HIV and infected my wife also by my stupid one time encounter in 20 years.?
5.Does swollen lymph nodes have pain relating to ARS Symptoms?
6. Is a fever always associated with ARS Symptoms?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »
ARS symptoms are ordinairly multiple and come on at the same time. They are sometimes so mild as to not be very noticeable.

Bronchial Asthma is absolutely not an ARS symptom.

Discussing your symptoms is totally pointless since you didn't do anything that put you at risk for HIV transmission. And in general symptoms are never the way to know about HIV status because the most common ones resemble too many other illnesses. Which is why an HIV test is the only way to know for sure IF you have had a risk, which I hasten to repeat you have not.

Why do I feel like I have HIV and infected my wife also by my stupid one time encounter in 20 years? Now THAT is the real question. What we're talking about is guilt and it is inspiring you to think HIV! behind every little symptom and not symptom. You're a dawg like a lot of us and you went straying. Give it up, let it go and get on with your life. No kidding.

Does swollen lymph nodes have pain relating to ARS Symptoms? Swollen lymph nodes happen for all sorts of reasons. They are not HIV specific. And you can create a REAL problem by probbing, squeezing, fingering and otherwise bothering them so leave them alone. If they remain swollen, discuss them with your doctor. 

Is a fever always associated with ARS Symptoms? Often but not always.

Read this carefully and repeatedly as necessary:

You did not have a risk. This is NOT an HIV situation. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »
Is blood shoot eye an ars symptoms. or pink eye

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:02:12 am »
moca,

Of course red eyes or other eye problems are not symptoms of ARS.

And why would you be having ARS symptoms anyway? You haven't had a risk and your negative result is NOT going to change. Condoms - even with N-9 on them - have been proven to prevent hiv transmission.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

And don't keep coming back with more ARS symptom questions. Next you'll be asking us if wanting to urinate in the morning is a symptom.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline moca

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:16:01 am »
I was tested at 8 weeks but that is not a conclusive test say that the woman I had an encounter with was seroconverting  at the time would it be easier for me to be come infected at that time by open mouth kissing her she sucking my breast and I sucked hers I might have had a nick or two in my mouth  although I had a nonoxynol -9 spermmicide latex condom on. Both me and my wife is sick beyound ever before it can't be anxitey for her because she knows nothing about my encounter. Help

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:39 am »
You're not listening. Your head is all blocked up with guilt.

We've already told you that you weren't at risk for transmission. Period. End of story.

Whatever is going on with your wife has nothing to do with your having been with another woman. It's something for her to get sorted out with her doctor.

Ann's already warned you and I'm just going to say you're on the verge of getting a time out here. You don't have an HIV problem. Period. Whether you believe that or not is not our problem. We've repeatedly told you the real deal. If you can't accept what we've said, well we've done what we can do for you. 
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:09:37 am »
Thanks Andy . The minds does play trick I will post no more concerning  this matter thanks everyone

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:32 am »
And as a PS I will add that we've been doing this for a long time. We're very careful about what we say because we know how important this all is.

You're good to go, buddy.
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 04:44:05 pm »
Does anyone know if low blood pressure is an ars symptoms. Iam having low blood pressure and never had low blood pressure before

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »
Wasn't you told that you didn't have a risk? Wasn't you given a warning? Now move on with your life.

Offline moca

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 05:40:18 pm »
If it was the window period that I  had an encounter with this female do you think I could have gotten infected by open mouth kisssing or sucking  each other breast i was reading on CDC web site that it is easier to be infected during the window period. Can I get some advice on this. By the way I did use a condom

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 05:48:05 pm »
No. HIV is not transmitted through kissing or breast-sucking.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 06:42:36 pm »
You seem to be back to the same routine of coming up with more anxiety/guilt -driven questions while ignoring what we've told you repeatedly, namely that you were never at risk in the incident you're concerned about. Just because another fear pops into your head doesn't change that science-based reality in relation to HIV. Really.

You need to let go and get on with your life.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:46:24 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 10:25:24 am »
Is 12  weeks hiv test conclusive or should it be 13 weeks . What is the difference.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 10:29:22 am »
There is no difference. In some countries it's 12 weeks and here the CDC recommends 13 weeks. At either point any generation of test will yield a reliable result.

You are HIV negative. Period.

But you don't seem to be listening to anything but your doubts and fears.   
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 11:40:10 am »
Just got back from health department after 12 weeks and 2 days of the encounter took oral rapid advance blood. The test  came back negative. Is this conclusive enough the lady at the health department says I should get tested again at 6 mo. Thanks guys I appreciate all your help I know you said over and over again I was negative but you know the mind plays trick  if you let it and I guess I did. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 02:48:03 pm »
The lady at the health department was wrong. You do not have to test any further. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

You need to get on with your life and put this HIV concern behind you. NOW!
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 03:10:34 pm »
Glad you replyed Andy thanks for your help I don't know why the health dept lady would say something like that I guess lack of knowledge You have been great to me I am out of here take care

Offline moca

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 08:07:28 pm »
Will the rapid oral blood test pick up hiv-2 infection . My encounter was an airline steward and she flew over seas a lot. I was tested twice one at 8 weeks and one at 12wks and 2 days would the rapid test pick up hiv 2.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12:27 pm »
It is very likely the oral test will pick up HIV-2 as most modern tests are rated for both.

But that's irrelevant in your case because YOU WERE NOT AT RISK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

You do not have HIV.

MtD

Offline moca

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 11:48:32 am »
I am still having these symptoms grawling stomach, itching ears, clog ears,  Jaw  tight headache around the eyes, feel hot flashes, burning mouth tongue.  I took  two rapid test one at 8wks negative result one at 12wks and 2 days negative. first one was rapid oral  second one was rapid blood stick  how accurate  are these test. Are these test just as accurate as blood being drawn from vein. Can someone tell me what is going on.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »
What is going on has nothing to do with HIV. You had no risk and testing wasn't even necessary.

We've done what we can do for you here. If you are still having symptoms that worry you that's something to discuss with your doctor. We only deal with HIV here and you don't have an HIV problem. You have a problem with feelings about HIV which is quite another matter. We can't help you with that in this setting. See a professional for that if you need to.

What I can tell you is that we're not going to indulge you in repeated exchanges here when you didn't have a risk. If you keep coming back with these unfounded fears about HIV you're going to get a time out. This is NOT an HIV situation no matter what your head tells you to the contrary.
Andy Velez

Offline moca

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:15 pm »
How long does ars symptoms last I have been sick since 2wks after my encounter that was 14 wks ago  3months  and 2 weeks what is freaking me out is that my wife who know nothing about my encounter is having same symptoms  I did all the stds test they came out negative I did 2 Hiv test one at 8 wks and one at 12 wks and 2 days both came back negative one was oral quick swab and the other was rapid quick stick. Can someone shine the light on what is going on with me I never been this sick this long .

1. Does ARS last this long?

2. Does some symptoms leave and other stay?

3.  Why in the world my wife is having same symptoms and she knows nothing about my encounter?

4.Do you think I am late showing the antibodies in my blood?

Please answer  I am going nuts.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »
We've explained this to you already. You are not HIV positive.

Obviously you're not interested in helping yourself. I don't see what else we can do for you. I'm referring this thread to the Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 09:31:19 pm »
Moca

Seems to me you are not listening to the advise we have given you already, you do not have HIV and I don't know what else we can do for you..we seem to be wasting our time here.

I giving you a 28 day TO, you had already been given a warning, and you chose to ignore it..it's time to move on, and DO NOT try to create another user name account because you wil be caught and banned from the forums.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline moca

Thingling and numbness
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 01:30:12 pm »
Been 4 months of my encounter having these tingling and numbnes over my body my feet, legs hands arms face could this be related to hiv aft 3 negative test for hiv 8wks 12 wks and 17 wks  could I not produce antibodies by now. Also have other symptoms burning mouth and tongue. I just need and answer so could someone please answer. I was reading that peripheral neuropathy could  come at primary stage of hiv. Could this be one of those delayed strains since my female partner was a world traveler.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »
Moca, please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I've merged your threads.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with HIV. You never had a risk and if you had your negative test results would have confirmed reliably that you're HIV negative.

You need to see your doctor and discuss your symptoms. They have nothing to do with HIV so give it up as far as that is concerned. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 01:57:18 pm »
moca,

Keep posting about this no-risk incident - for which you've more than tested conclusively negative - and you'll get another time out.

Take your symptoms to the doctor. Whatever is causing them is NOT hiv. You do NOT have hiv. Go find out what the REAL problem is, if there is indeed one at all.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline moca

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 06:36:43 pm »
It has been 3 wks since I post so I am not posting just to post I Have a question about testing I have been tested 3 time 8, 12 and 17 wks all negative could it be that I have some other type of hiv and the test is not picking it up because both me and my wife have a couple of good days and the third day feel bad again I am going to the doctors and they can't fine anytghing just wondering about the test and if it is a different type of strain or something that the test is not picking up.The test was all rapid swab and fineger stick.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 08:45:10 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline moca

HIV 1&2
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 08:59:37 pm »
Hi I had 5 HIV 1/2 TEST 4 rapid quick finger stick 1 blood drawn arm 8,12,15,23 and 36 weeks all negative my last one was in december 2007 will these test pick up group O or do I need to get another test. Still not feeling well.

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV 1&2
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 09:58:49 pm »
You are conclusively negative.

Offline moca

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »
does that means hiv 1/2 will pick up group o sub-type

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:14 pm »
Yes.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 05:01:15 am »
Moca,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread yet again - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

How many times do we have to ask you to not start new threads?

How many times do we have to tell you that you are CONCLUSIVELY HIV NEGATIVE? You never had a risk in the first place.

Keep posting about this no risk, conclusive negative situation and you WILL be given that time out you've been warned about.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.