Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:11:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 471
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Day On Meds  (Read 7425 times)

Offline MarkInSF

First Day On Meds
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:27:31 pm »
Hello everyone, first time posting on here, but i've read these boards for awhile now.  I've been diagnosed with HIV 2 years ago.  Today is the first day that I have started meds.  My T Cells went down to 177 and my Viral load is only 4K.  My prescription is 4 Kaletra's, and 1 Truvada one time a day.  Its been 1 hour now and I feel totally fine.  Im still waiting for any side affects to come along, hopefully there wont be any.  My question to everyone is who else is on this combination?  What side effects  have you gotten?  Also, im a social drinker, and I still go to the bars with my friends maybe 3X's a week having 4-6 cocktails each time we go out to drink.  I hear that you should avoid alcohol while taking Truvada.  Is this true?  I'd hate to blow off drinking, but if thats what I have to do, then I guess i'll have to deal with it.  Does anyone still drink while on this combo.  Thanks in advance.

Mark

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
Re: First Day On Meds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:38:20 pm »

Hi Mark:

I'm currently on Atripla and started just over a year ago.  I'm currently having no problems on Atripla.  When I first started I took Sustiva and Truvada together and initially had a slight rash (although not sure if this was from Sustiva or Truvada).

When I first started meds my CD4 was 267 (click HERE to see my history).

If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline MarkInSF

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 01:01:19 pm »
Nice numbers Jordan  :)  I had the option to take Atripla as well, believe me I wanted to, being that its only 1 pill once a day but declined because my Dr said that if I even miss 1 dose, that I bascially screwed myself and the chance of taking other combinations of drugs.  Being that its the first time I have to take meds regularly, I chose the other option.  I hope this combo works well for me. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:05:12 pm »
I don't usually read the side effects when I start taking medications, because my doctor knows my physical history and he'll tell me if there's anything I should watch out for (BUT I did when I went on Trizivir, which I'm on now, and carry the warning card in my pocket).  If I read the side effects to all the medications I take now, I'd probably develop ALL of them! :D

You might want to ask your doctor about the specific side effects you'd have if you mixed alcohol with your Truvada.

Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Richierich73

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:10 pm »
I just started meds myself three days ago. I opted for Atripla b/c it is only once a day at bedtime. I've felt a little sleepy and feel dizzy when i first get up in the morning but other than that everything is cool. I have noticed that after I eat something the dizziness goes away a little. The only thing I don't like about Atripla so far is you have to take it on an empty stomach. I will miss my late night snacks, lol.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:45:03 pm »
The only thing I don't like about Atripla so far is you have to take it on an empty stomach. I will miss my late night snacks, lol.

So pig out an hour and a half before you take it! ;D  "On an empty stomach means, one hour before or two hours afterward.  HOG FEST! ;D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:22:04 am »
HMMMMM considering the nurse today at the doctor said "your getting fat" ..in a nicer way of course....

I think i might take atripla as a diet aid....if i cant eat at night then thats PERFECT for me ....

Sign me up!!!! hehe  ;D

Hope you manage to stay side effect free...good luck
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:33:56 am »
Hi there,

Let us know how it's goin'

Drew

Offline MarkInSF

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 02:48:58 pm »
Day 2 on the meds:

Lets see, last night I probably sat on the porcelain pot 9 times  :o  Each trip was very quick though, no more than 2 minutes.  I've also experienced lack of appetite.  I only ate twice yesterday (2 slices of pizza for lunch, and a bowl of soup for dinner) and was full the entire day.  This morning, when I took my meds, I felt a little nausea and had to sit on the pot 2X's hehe.  I hear certain antacids can interfere with my meds, anyone have any advice to which antacids to take???

Mark

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 02:57:07 pm »
I would say that missing one dose of a single pill like Atripla is not going to cause much harm. Now if you started skipping often I think that is when it is actually going to make a difference.  Glad you have posted here with us.  Keep us up on how your Keletra/Truvada goes.
 ;D
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 10:32:35 pm »
Hey Mark,
I know someone who takes Kaletra and Truvada. She had a bad experience with Sustiva and switched to the Kaletra.

She has been experiencing many of the symptoms you describe. She told me yesterday the symptoms are lessening now that she has been on the regimen for a while (about three months).

As for the drinking issue, I have no idea.
I still drink, but I'm on a way different regimen.

Let us know how things are going.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:34:11 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline MarkInSF

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 01:42:49 pm »
Yesterday I went to see a nurse and talked about my toilet problem.  She called my doctor and my doctor prescribed me some medicine for that.  Forgot what it was, I have to pick that up today.  Later that day, I met with my friends and we decided to go to the bar.  I was hesitant at first because of my meds, I wasn't sure how I was going to react if i have a couple drinks.  I said screw it.... the only way I'll find out how I'll react is if I drink.  I ordered 2 cocktails, being that it's 2 for 1 Tuesdays and I sipped each one very slowly, probably took me 1 hour to finish those two drinks.  I felt fine, a little buzz going and hey, no drug reactions  ;D So then I drank 2 more beers and I still felt normal.  I got home, ate some dinner, watched TV, and then went to bed.  When I woke up this morning, I felt totally fine, no hangover no funny side effects.  I woke up with a smile on my face knowing that I can still drink and have a good time.  Please no alcoholic comments  :P  Well that's it for now, I will update my status as time goes by  :)

Mark

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 06:07:03 am »
Hi,
I am on KALETRA & TRUVADA 2 1/2 yrs.
At 1st, side effects were fequent runs to the bathroom and loss of some energy.
Now things are leveled out and I have some of my energy back.
CUT DOWN ON THE DRINKS, for more than 1 reason.
The drinks will mess things up with your med's doing their thing, longterm drinking like that messes up any1's liver, you want to have ALL YOUR FACULTIES mentally, so you don't miss a dose, oversleep and miss a dose, etc, much less , be intimate and forget yourself.
Stay well.
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline mudman8

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
I'm on Kaletra and Truvada too, Seems when I change meds I go thru a period of nausea then I'm pretty good. but on these two I have periods of diarreha recurring.

I drink still but feel that doing it too much or long time is putting added stress on your liver. Your Dr can give you your liver readings in the regular blood tests to see how you're functioning.
Life is analog

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 06:15:18 pm »
Hi Mark... Ive been on K and Truvada/Epzicom (blinded study) not sure which on the T or E but the first year of taking the old style K orange footballs was pretty fun ride on getting the diet right to handle a few to many potty visits.   The new style K is alot easier from 6 of them to 4 of them once daily.    I do not drink so I cant tell you about that part.    But I can say I do want to save my liver for dealing with the meds messing it about if they mess at all....    ;)

Welcome to the forums !

Eric

Offline tinydaniell

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 11:56:40 pm »
have been on kaletra and truvada since 11/05 i first experinced the runs lack of appatite gas and bloating but after 3 months they have gone away but about the alcahol my doc says take it lightly and to not drink within 4 hrs of dosing

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.