Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:04:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Going to the Chapel" in 2 weeks!  (Read 19726 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
"Going to the Chapel" in 2 weeks!
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:54:50 pm »
Hello gang -

I just wanted to to let you all know some information about our Visit to the Chapel of Hope. Jan and I have been working diligently to prepare this, and we sincerely believe it will be the hi-light of AMG 06, and something we can all cherish.

The Saint-Pierre-Apôtre is a neo-gothic church, built in 1851, at 1201 Visitation Street. It houses the Chapel of Hope, the first chapel in the world consecrated to the memory of victims of AIDS. Jan and I feel that this is a perfect place for us to hold our commemorative service.

I have been communicating with Fr. Yoland Ouellet, the Priest of Saint-Pierre-Apôtre church, and with Yves Cote, a laic who is a pastoral animator. Yves' partner, Louis, is fluent in English and has been able to communicate very well with me on behalf of the Church. He is also a member of AIDSmeds.com !

Fr. Ouellet will be delighted for us to conduct our service in the Chapel of Hope, on Friday morning, August 18th, at 10:00 a.m. The Canuck informs me that the Church is only a few streets from our hotel, and we should be able to walk there with no problem. For anyone who has any reservations about attending a service in a Catholic Church, let me just say this: I have explained that we are a very diverse group of people, men and women, straight and gay, young and old. As long as we are respectful in the Chapel, I do not believe they will have a problem with us conducting our service in a non-traditional way. It will be very inclusive in nature, more spiritual rather than "religious", and we are trying to ensure that it is totally non-denominational.

Jan and I ask for your support and your cooperation, as we try to move forward with our planning of this event. I am very excited about it, and I hope you all will be too! We think it is very important for us to come together as a group to honor our brothers and sisters who have gone before us. The candle lighting ceremony we are planning will be very symbolic, and hopefully, very meaningful to all of us.

In love and unity,

Alan 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 08:49:58 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Visit to the Chapel of Hope
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:27:44 am »
I just know it will be wonderful.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
Re: Visit to the Chapel of Hope
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 05:42:37 pm »
and I do, too!

Thanks, Alan, and Jan, for your hard work on this!

Love,

Zephyr :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline AlanBama

Re: Visit to the Chapel of Hope-UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 06:25:38 pm »
I just wanted to post a quick update to say that 'all systems are go' and everything is in place (candles, cups, etc) for our ceremony on the 18th.   Louis has been most helpful in his communications with me, and I am very grateful.

Hopefully, Jan will be able to stop by and meet with the people at the Church as soon as she arrives (she's getting there a few days ahead of me) and make sure everything is taken care of.

I think this is going to be a very memorable event for everyone involved.

Love,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 06:28:11 pm »
Thanks for update Alan !

The Canuck

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:48 pm »
Hi everyone

Thanks Alan for posting the up-date on our memorial day.

I will visit the Chapel on the morning of the 16th just to make sure that everything will be ready for our memorial on the 18th.

As Alan has said, all our individual candle's have been ordered and will be ready for us on the day..so I would like to take this opportunity and ask all of you if you will donate $CA2 each to cover the cost of the candles...and if you could see your way to giving a little more..say a $1 maybe 2..so we can give a little extra donation to the Chapel fund and to show our thanks for the help they have given us in preparation for our service.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask...we will keep you informed of more up-date's as they come in.

Thank you Alan for everything you have done.

((hugs))
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:04:28 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 11:15:53 pm »
Jan,

Thanks for the extra information. I suppose we'll give this money in Montreal, and it won't be a problem either for the $2.00 + extra donation for the Chapel fund.

Best Regards,

The Canuck

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 12:12:42 am »
i have to ask.. will holy wine be served?   or even not-so-holy wine?

Bailey (who is a wino)

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 12:15:58 am »
No vino I think...but we can have some afterwards during lunch.  ;)

The Canuck

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 09:23:50 am »
Hi Jan

I'm more than willing to make a $3.00 or $4.00 donation to the chapel ($2.00 for the candle and an additional  $1.00 or $2.00 for the church).

I think it's a small token and an easy way for us to give a little something back.

RAB

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:48:26 am »
I just read this thread for the first time, and a I am left feeling like I am in the presence of Angels.

I cannot believe that this late in life, I am deluged with people of this caliber, and this much soul.  I just want to thank all of you who have been so generous and caring in your actions and in your spirit. 

In Love and Awe.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 10:18:20 pm »
Hi y'all...

I spoke to Jan today, our plans are moving along nicely and we are 'ironing out the kinks', so that our Visit to the Chapel will go smoothly.

We would like for everyone to plan to wear their AMG tee shirts on that Friday morning, and we will need to assemble in the hotel lobby early enough so that we can walk over to the Church in time for our service, which will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m.  The Church will be conducting their regular Mass at 11:00 a.m. so we have to be prompt.

I look forward to sharing this special time with Jan and with each of you.   We believe it will be a moving experience for all, where we can remember those we have lost, and celebrate the lives of those who are living with HIV/AIDS.

With love,

Alan

"I accept my deep personal spirituality.  I nurture and support my spirit nature.  I trust the creative spirit of the Universe.   Peace of God is my only goal."

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 07:57:52 pm »
Hi Alan!

I'll be there, with my 'Tee' on!!

Thanks for all the work Jan and you have gone to to put this together...bless you both!

Love,

Zeph :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline AlanBama

Re: "Going to the Chapel" in 2 weeks!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:19 pm »
Hello family.

This is the final post I will make about our visit to the Chapel.   We will actually be there 2 weeks from Friday! 

This service will be the result of a lot of pre-planning and correspondence with the Church, and it has been a labor of love for Jan and me.  We have become very good friends during the past year, and I cannot wait to hug her and kiss her!

We will see you all at the Chapel of Hope on the 18th, promptly at 10:00 a.m.
Come with your AMG tee shirts on and your hearts open.  Prepare to experience the power of the "Circle of Light".

Love to all,

Alan

PS - a special thanks to John for allowing me the use of the AMG logo.

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 08:47:10 pm »
Nice job Alan and Jan.  You guys really pulled it off.  Doing the T-shirt thing was NOTHING like what you had to deal with.....

And Claude

Ans SAE

and everyone else.  I am stoked.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 09:03:46 pm »

I'm crying right now.  Why is that? 

:'(

I think the effort you have both given is just a small testament of your amazing spirit.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:06:44 pm by RAB »

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 09:10:11 pm »
I'm reluctant to say this, but if anything I am honest ......

I sincerely do not know if I will be able to go through with it.   Just reading over my material and our plans for the ceremony, I begin to cry uncontrollably.

I am no great organizer of events, no public speaker, and certainly not at an emotional gathering such as this.   I will be asking for all your prayers and encouragement, for the strength to make it through it (and maybe an Ativan or two)

Sometimes I hate it that I am so damn emotional.

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 09:12:32 pm »
I'm crying right now.  Why is that?

RAB...because you are a sentimental ole' fool !  ;)

Kidding aside folks, a very sincere thanks to Jan & Alan for their involvement into this project.  :D

See y'all soon ( pronounced with a Southern accent )  :o

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 09:36:26 pm »
Hi Alan

Thank you for posting the up-date on our memorial service..one of the many reasons I have enjoyed working on this is because I got the chance to meet a wonderful man, Alan has been such a big part of my life since starting this, I'm so blessed to have him in my lfe.

This is the wonderful thing about our AMG's, it gives us the chance to meet all our on-line friends, some of whom will become lifelong friends...and this service is also for us all to celebrate our lives together despite HIV and to remember those we have lost, it will be an emotional time for all of us, but I'm prepared for the tears.

So many people have put in so much of their time on this gathering..so I would like to say a very special thanks to you all...you are all an amazing bunch of guys..I joined the forums in 2003 and you are the reason I'm still here.

FOR RAB...Could the tears be because you forgot to pack those pink undies and have now discovered there is no more room for them... :D

Hugs and love to you all
Jan :-* :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 10:53:37 pm »
None of you know me very well at all, but I have a great deal of experience in this particular area.  Since I am so new to the group I have been very passive and quite willing to experience what the others have planned.  If any assistance is needed at the chapel, I will be ready, willing and able to help in any way.  So feel free to ask if you feel it is necessary.  If not necessary, it will be joy for me to simply experience what you have planned. 

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 11:45:09 pm »
That's alright, because I'm crying as well.  This thread just reminded me of the simultaneous joy and abject horror that I will experience during this ceremony.  To be surrounded by all of you, while we remember our departed friends.  It's rare for pain to feel so good and I expect our Montreal experience to be as powerful as it was in Toronto.

I also can't think of two kinder or more genuine people that Jan and Alan and I know you have created something truly beautiful for all of us.  You have my gratitude, because I just don't know if I could plan such a remembrance and I eagerly await experiencing what you both have created.

Thank you for sharing your generous spirits.

Offline kypozguy

• Kentucky Poz Guy
    • My group website
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 10:07:47 am »
Hello all,

I am very excited about the Friday trip to the Chapel and I appreciate what Jan and Alan have done to organize this, for us!  I am also very new to this community but am excited about meeting everybody in Montreal.  I look forward to thanking them in person for all the work they have done. See you all 2 weeks from today.

Marc
www.loupoz.com
See you at AMG 06--Montreal Quebec Canada--August 17 - 21, 2006

Diagnosed Oct 05, 1985

Organizer and Moderator of the Louisville Poz Buddies Social group in Louisville Kentucky USA.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 06:36:21 pm »
Just wanted to say Wow! and Thank You to Alan, Jan and all those who played a part in putting this together.

Alan honey, you know damn well that the moment you start crying, the church will have to be closed because of flooding - because we'll be crying right there with you.

All I can say is I look forward to experiencing the Circle of Light.

HUGS

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 06:51:17 pm »
Alan honey, you know damn well that the moment you start crying, the church will have to be closed because of flooding - because we'll be crying right there with you.

We shall install a pump for evacuating water then.  ;)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Basquo

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 07:02:40 pm »
Perhaps this is a stupid question...but I've read this thread and others, maybe someone could link me to the answer...is this memorial service for all of our loved ones, or for those we've lost to AIDS?  I mentioned my trip to a well-travelled acquaintance at work via email, specifying this was the aidsmeds gathering, and he replied that the church/chapel I described was exactly where he hoped I would be going, and to remember, if I had the chance, his partner, whom he said would have loved it (he didn't specify about how he lost his partner.)  I want to be prepared for who I will be remembering (even my grandmother.) I'm starting to get a little leaky right now.

This whole trip is going to be fantastic for me, I want you all to know again!

Blessings,
Creighton

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 11:40:38 am »
Hi Creighton,

I sent you a p.m. about this....  Jan and I see it primarily as an AIDS memorial service, where we will honor the memory of those we have lost, and honor the REALITY that is LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS for all of us who are members of A.M.
forums.

We are so very limited due to time constraints, we are going to have to move at a fairly good pace.  The service will probably mean different things to different people.....mostly, it's about silent reflection of how HIV/AIDS has impacted your life.   And, importantly, it is to reinforce the CONNECTION that we all have with each other.   There is power in numbers, and the candle lighting is a very symbolic way to show our love and support for each other, as well as remembrance for those we have lost.

Feel free to honor whomever you wish to, in your heart, when your flame is lit.
I know I will be honoring the friends and relatives that I have lost to AIDS, and I will be reflecting on the pride and joy I feel at being with a group as loving as this family, and celebrate being a part of it.

Hugs,

Alan

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 07:27:33 pm »
Alan...I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I'll definitely lighting a candle for David...
I'm glad to hear crying is allowed.  I'm sure I'll be shedding a few tears....... :'(

And to those who planned and made this trip to the Chapel an event ....
I Thank You!   :-* :-* :-*

Looking forward to meeting you all...........  :-* :-* :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline richfinsm

• Be better to one another
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 05:28:46 am »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:54:37 am by richfinsm »
Positive since 1/85.  Tested positive with full-blown AIDS 5/93.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.