Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:18:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz, Epzicom, Sleep Problems and Changing Treatments..  (Read 6530 times)

Offline ChristopherSF

Reyataz, Epzicom, Sleep Problems and Changing Treatments..
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:40:10 am »
Hey folks, its been months since I have logged onto the forums and I hope everyone is doing well. :)

I'm needing some help/advice regarding my meds and possibly changing treatments.  I've been on meds now for almost 11 months and my numbers are great... undetectable and my t-cell count has risen to almost 800.  Percentage of lymphocytes keeps going up too.. 38%.  I go for another blood draw actually today so those numbers are from back over the summer.

I have been having a lot of problems with sleep since starting the meds.   I workout religiously, eat very clean and have good stress management skills.  Despite trying to do all the right things, I still can't fall asleep and can lay awake for a few hours and then have to get up and take a sleeping pill.  Even the pills aren't really working anymore.

I'm wondering if the Reyataz and Epzicom pills are causing the sleep disturbances... I know it can be a sideffect.  Has anyone else experienced this?  This is a tough spot to be in as I need sleep but at the same time you hate to change your meds when your numbers keep going up.  Would love to hear from any of you.

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Reyataz, Epzicom, Sleep Problems and Changing Treatments..
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:48:56 pm »
Christopher!

I've been wondering about you!

-huggles- :-*

I'm so glad to hear that your numbers are good. Well done, doll!

As for the sleep problems. Well, it's a tricky one. I appreciate that you don't want to switch combinations at the moment given your excellent response.

First up, I'd recommend you discuss this with your doctor. It's not uncommon for sleeping tablets (especially those from the benzodiazepine family) to lose effectiveness over time. They can also be quite addictive and can actually add to your sleep problems.

In the meantime, you might want to pay attention to your "sleep hygiene". Some aspects of this are:

No caffeine after 3 pm. No tea, coffee, cola drinks chocolate etc.

Go to bed at the same time each night. If you haven't fallen asleep after say 20 minutes or so. Get up and do something. Boring things are good. Ironing, cleaning, sorting your frocks according to fabric and colour. Once you get sleepy, go back to bed and try again.

It's important that the only thing you do in bed (aside from you-know-what ;)) is sleep. Don't watch TV or even read in bed. You want to associate bed with sleep.

Exercise, if you can. Physical activity is good at wearing you out.

Fondly,

MtD -- aka xdenizen aka Matty
(Who has missed Christopher)

Offline ChristopherSF

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 08:49:35 pm »
Hi Matty,

Thanks for the nice reply.

I have done everything you suggested.  I workout a lot.. weights/run.. always have.   I don't drink coffee or soda, just one cup of green tea a day.

I have discuss this with my doctor.. he's a very progressive doctor in SF.... he's not in favor of me switching meds since my numbers are skyrocketing!    However, he says if I want to make the switch we can.  Its a tough call... I am going to try some other things... more meditation.  I already do acupucture.  I think the only thing keeping me going is the exercise and a good diet.... when I exercise I can at least make it through the day.

I am learning its all about attitude...

Hope you are well.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:01:52 pm »
Hello Chris,

I am on Epzicom,( But not reyataz) I am also on Viread and viramune. If my numbers were as good as yours I could certainly understand the hesitancy of switching meds.

I currently have no problem getting to sleep, usually within 20 minutes of hittting the sack. There are some days that do take a little longer, Depends on what I have on my mind that day, and how wound up I am. I currently take no anti-depressants or sleeping pills. It sounds as thougfhyou are doing everything else right. Talk to your doctor, and see what alternatives he suggest to you. Good luck, let us know what is decided.

Take care--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ChristopherSF

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:20:48 pm »
Thanks Ray, you take care too.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:29:47 pm »
Hello Chris, it is Eldon.

I am on the same combo of Epzicom and Reyataz. Do you think the meds are really effecting your sleep? I too have trouble falling asleep. My therapist says it is my Anxiety. I too do not want to change my meds either they are working so well.

When you go to see your ID Doctor, please do let us know what you have found out.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:47:38 am »
Hey Chris,

I'd also like to add that I have been diagnosed with a General Anxiety Disorder Due to A Medical Condition. My appointment with the RN isn't until the 28th of November for them to prescribe something to take care of that. I will definitely let you know how it goes.

http://www.clarocet.com/anxiety.htm

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:50:47 am by Eldon »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 02:08:36 am »
Hey hello

In terms of the meds it is most likey to be the Epzicom (7% of users report insomnia) rather than Reyataz (3% or less).

Are you taking the Epzicom at night?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 02:16:58 am »
Newt,

I take it at NOON.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.