Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:44:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Decriminalize Condoms in Washington, D.C.  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Decriminalize Condoms in Washington, D.C.
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:09 am »
Did anyone here know about the new condom law in DC? It's outrageous! If you agree, please sign the petition at Change.org.

http://womensrights.change.org/actions/view/decriminalize_condoms_in_washington_dc

Targeting:  Adrian Fenty (Mayor of Washington, D.C. )

Started by: Change.org

Did you know you can be charged with prostitution in Washington D.C. if the police catch you carrying three or more condoms on the street?

In certain areas of the city, police can arrest you on mere suspicion of prostitution -- and some use your possession of condoms (usually three or more) or other safe-sex items as proof of your intent to commit the crime.

In effect, D.C. is discouraging safe sex.

Worse, the message the city is sending to actual sex workers is that practicing safe sex puts them at additional risk for arrest and prosecution. And D.C.'s HIV/AIDS rate already soars above that of the rest of the country. It is hard to imagine a more backwards public health policy or one that would do more to get sex workers not to use condoms.

The mayor of D.C. should step in and put an end to this ridiculous enforcement practice. No one should ever be punished for practicing safer sex. We should be doing everything we can to protect vulnerable populations and prevent the spread of disease.

Send a letter to Mayor Fenty and tell him to stop discouraging condom use in D.C. now!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Decriminalize Condoms in Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:25:35 am »
Ridiculous.

Offline veritas

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:47:52 am »

I'd really like to know who the troglodite was that came up with this amazing piece of legislation.
I guess they don't know about the HIV/AIDS problem in Washing ton DC which is at 3 times the rate that characterizes a severe epidemic.

And HOW in god's name did they come up with 2 condoms being ok but not 3. I guess they feel the johns will bring their own ?

This is so insane !

LETTER SIGNED.

v

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:23:44 am »
Having lived in very urban, east coast locations since the mid-80's and all during the massive crack epidemic (yes, I'd find crack accoutrements around my apartment) my guess is that this legislation is from that era. If you've ever witnessed prostitution by a crack addict in a public place you'd "get" all of this -- I've even seen a woman giving a man a blow job in a subway exit during rush hour in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.  I'm curious if it's being currently enforced, but regardless it's easy to question the need for this.  There's still a huge crack problem in Philadelphia and I occasionally see prostitutes.  Not defending the law, just providing possible context.

Mayor Fenty is actually one of the most progressive mayors for a big city in the US.  He's already doubled the amount of HIV testing since coming into office, though the increase in testing also meant that's when they found out the massive prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the city.  Even the local health department offers free condoms so I just question this whole thing and can't find any other reporting on it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:22 am »
Signed. Presently, 1016 signatures. Incredible. So, if you're carrying a box in a bag does that enable one to travel safely with them? Because if that's so, then everyone will just have to have a CVS, RiteAid, or Walgreen's bag and then, if stopped, tell them you left your receipt at the store.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:10 am »

I just question this whole thing and can't find any other reporting on it.

I have to admit that I haven't seen anything else on this either, but I've always found change.org to be up-to-date.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:57:48 pm »
Ann,

I wasn't aware of it and whether its being strictly enforced isn't the problem ... the fact that it still on the books and COULD be enforced is the problem.  Thanks for passing it on!

AA

PS I signed the petition.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline veritas

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 02:36:26 pm »

Here is the law concerning prostitution free zones in dc. No mention of condoms, but the police have quite a leeway in determining suspicion. The article could be right.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1238,q,560843.asp#enforcing

Offline Carly

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:56 pm »
I'd really like to know who the troglodite was that came up with this amazing piece of legislation.

Probably the same one who, in Michigan, decided HIV positive people should be charged with being bio-terrorists.

This is just simply more of the United States' Puritanical, fear-mongering bullshit.  I guess it's just easier for people to remain uneducated & ignorant rather actually take the time to open their minds & actually learn something. 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:29:02 pm »
Signed. 

This is so absurd it is insulting.  Like Philly said it is probably just something that needs to be understood within context. 

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:41 pm »
Interesting, is it not, that the DC authorities have no issue with two blokes and a cocker-spaniel being called a family yet the humble franger remains felonious.

As a dirty foreigner Matty the Damned is unable to sign the petition. (What ZIP code? Which state? Suggestions kindly received!) He of course supports it wholeheartedly.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:24:32 pm »
I got a reply from the mayor of DC so I thought I'd share:

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. As you may be aware, prostitution in the District of Columbia has been a longstanding problem in certain neighborhoods and the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and other members of the law enforcement community are working diligently and using all resources available to address this problem.

The Chief of Police has the authority to designate Prostitution Free Zones (PFZ), which are areas that have accumulated high levels of proven prostitution cases/activities in the present and/or past during late night and early morning hours. DC Code 22-2731 explains the definitions, designation of prostitution free zones, and violation penalties in more detail.

Therefore, a police officer cannot arrest a person for the sole reason of having two or more condoms in their possession whether they are inside or outside of a PFZ perimeter. The criminal offense associated with a PFZ involves the failure to disperse, after an officer issues such an order to two or more persons congregating on public space within the PFZ.   

The District of Columbia supports the usage, distribution, and awareness of condoms as a means to promote general public safety health practices. The District is one of only two cities in the country with a large scale public sector condom distribution program, with a goal to distribute 3 million free condoms a year.

For more information on the District's free condom distribution and education program, please feel free to visit the DC Department of Health's web site at: http://doh.dc.gov/doh/cwp/view,a,1371,q,602647.asp   I hope you find this information helpful.

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Adrian M. Fenty, Mayor

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.