Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:52:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 680
Total: 681

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Paying high copays for any of GSK's HIV meds?  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Paying high copays for any of GSK's HIV meds?
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:53:24 am »
See this news release...

GlaxoSmithKline Announces New Program to Provide Financial Assistance for Eligible HIV Patients in the U.S.

Program Reduces Out-of-Pocket Expense Burden for Eligible Patients on GSK HIV Medications

Research Triangle Park, November 11, 2008 – GlaxoSmithKline [NYSE: GSK] announced today the launch of a new Patient Savings Card designed to help eligible patients improve compliance with their HIV regimens by reducing their out-of-pocket expenses for GSK HIV medications.  Through this new program, patients are eligible to save up to $100 each month – for each of their GSK HIV medicines – for up to two years following first use.

GSK has worked closely with leaders in the HIV Community, with the Fair Pricing Coalition among these, to improve access to HIV medicines since the beginning of the epidemic.  Recently the community has voiced a significant need among those patients in the non-government program segment, who may find paying their out-of-pocket costs an increasing challenge to adhering to their drug regimen.

Patients can enroll in the program by visiting their doctor and asking for a Patient Savings Card from GSK.  They can take the Patient Savings Card to their local pharmacist along with their prescription for eligible GSK HIV medications, including LEXIVA® (fosamprenavir calcium), EPZICOM® (abacavir sulfate + lamivudine), COMBIVIR® (lamivudine + zidovudine), TRIZIVIR® (abacavir sulfate + lamivudine + zidovudine), EPIVIR® (lamivudine), ZIAGEN® (abacavir sulfate), and/or RETROVIR® (zidovudine).

“GSK is aware of the burden that medication costs can have on patients.  We believe this program will help reduce the out-of-pocket costs for patients and will hopefully make it easier for them to adhere to their drug regimens,” said Pete Hare, Vice President, HIV Division at GlaxoSmithKline.  “As a company that has been working on the forefront of HIV for over twenty years, we are committed to ensuring that patients have access to the medicines they need to fight this disease.”

GSK has also launched a companion website to the Patient Savings Card -  www.mysupportcard.com - where patients can learn more about the program, find answers to questions they may have, determine eligibility regulations and use the “Tell a friend” feature to help other HIV patients learn more about how they can reduce their out-of-pocket expenses for their GSK HIV medications.

Individuals eligible for the program include patients who are paying out-of-pocket costs and whose prescriptions are not covered by Medicaid, Medicare, ADAP or any other Federal or State assistance program.  Individuals who are Medicare eligible and enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan or prescription drug benefit program for retirees are not eligible for the Patient Savings Card.  Massachusetts residents are eligible only if their prescription for their GSK medicine is not covered by any insurance or assistance program (that is, they are paying the entire cost of the prescription themselves).  Eligible individuals must have a valid, current prescription for one or more of the following GlaxoSmithKline medicines:  LEXIVA (fosamprenavir calcium), EPZICOM (abacavir sulfate + lamivudine), COMBIVIR (lamivudine + zidovudine), TRIZIVIR (abacavir sulfate + lamivudine + zidovudine), EPIVIR (lamivudine), ZIAGEN (abacavir sulfate), and/or RETROVIR (zidovudine).  For patients already enrolled in the LEXIVA Patient Support Program, this new program will replace the existing program for LEXIVA.  See the “Eligibility Rules and Regulations” section of the Patient Savings Card for more information.

For more information visit www.mysupportcard.com or you may contact the GlaxoSmithKline Customer Response Center Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, at 1-888-825-5249.

Offline randym431

Re: Paying high copays for any of GSK's HIV meds?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:04:41 am »
This is big news for many and I feel its being missed.
If you're on meds like EPZICOM, and you pay a co-pay, you can save with this card
GSK is offering. This should be passed on and posted in off topic and treatment forums also,
to get everyones attention.
You can also get some free Lipitor if you doctor puts you on that drug.
https://www.lipitor.com/offers/30-day_trial.jsp

Lipitor also once offered a card to save $10 a month, for a year, off your lipitor co-pays but I can not find that link on their site...?
Guess it pays to check the websites of these various drugs we take, to see if they offer some savings.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline randym431

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:09:39 am »
A follow up...
This is going to be "one of those things", Im afraid.
Their "savings card" must be had thru the GSK rep by the doctor.
My doctor said he nor the GSK rep ever heard of such a program.
So the merry-go-round begins...    ???

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:05 pm »
A follow up...
This is going to be "one of those things", Im afraid.
Their "savings card" must be had thru the GSK rep by the doctor.
My doctor said he nor the GSK rep ever heard of such a program.
So the merry-go-round begins...    ???

Perhaps. I feel patients who think this gesture by GSK is paltry/insufficient to please voice their concerns to an ASO and not to GSK directly if possible. The last thing anyone or any entity wants to hear after extending generosity is to hear criticism or anger. So talk to someone in an ASO and hear what they have to say first.

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:51 pm »
Thank you Peter for posting this information, I got my 2 cards yesterday for my partner and me.  It saves us some much needed dollars.  It's nice to get a break when you have private insurance.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:06:09 am »
Peter,

Thanks for posting this info. I will look into it further. I'm going to call my doctors office, during the week, and see what knowledge he has on this. Any savings is good. and My Epzicom is on that list.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:45:44 am »
Even better news -- Gilead is launching a similar program in response to GSK's move.  So everyone on Truvada and Atripla should be getting some copay help as well.

Here's what we know about the program thus far:

1. Program cards are currently available through physicians or healthcare providers; They are working on updates to the Viread.com Website and will advise as soon as that information is posted to the site.

2. No income eligibility or other requirements.

3. Will cover your copays over $50, up to additional $200.

4. Program currently only for one year, ends Sep 04, 2009.

I'll post a separate thread once Gilead does it's formal launch with a webpage and toll-free phone number.

Peter

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 12:08:24 pm »

I just came back from my Doctor's office, and spoke with one of his office staff. I gave them a copy of this press release.This staff member did not seem to be aware of this, but told me that the doctor could/may already be aware of this card program through GSK.

I then went home and called the 1-888-825-5249 tel. number and spoke with a live person. They had informed me that the doctor himself will have to get in touch with his GSK representative. At that time the representative will give the cards to him for distribution to those that qualify. I called my doctors office back and gave them that information.

So, there going to check into it and get back in touch with me.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:25:40 pm »

Also forgot to mention , I think this is one of those times where I am going to have to really follow through on this, if I don't hear back.  Sounds like this could fall through the cracks to easily ! I have a great doctor, but his staff never seems to rest !! Busy, busy, busy. Paperwork up the...

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 09:02:48 am »
Today I used my GSK patient savings card for my partner and me at the pharmacy. Had no problem with the pharmacist accepting the card. Got my co-pays deducted. It was truly nice to not have to pay for my HIV medications for once in my life since I've been shelling out the co-pays for the last 18 years.  Again thanks Peter for passing this information along to us here on the forum.  Without you posting this I may have never known about this program.

Offline randym431

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:06:11 am »
Im in the same situ as Ray.
Doctor office never heard of this.
Then the "rep" confirmed... finally... and will send the office the discount cards.
I dont know... I'd think or hope or wish any ID doctor & rep would be one step ahead
on these issues. They should be informing me, not me them.
Kinda scary when you wonder what other ID hiv medical issues they are clueless on.
What the haaayyyy, do we have to do EVERYTHING for them?
Whats that $150 + co-pay per office visit going for, a new plasma tv???   >:(   ;D

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »

Just wanted to bring this thread back up again, to remind people that if you are eligible, you should contact your doctor, and get this card, if you haven't done so.

I received my card today, at the Doctor's office. I went immediately to Walgreen's, After my appointment,  and spoke with my pharmacist.  He is familiar with GSK discount card. He put the card number into the computer, and told me that when I get my prescription filled on Feb 1st, to make sure to show the card, so that my out of pocket savings goes into effect. He also told me that he hasn't experienced any problems with the card being used.

This is quite a savings. At $50.00 per month for Epzicom, this will save me ( out of pocket) $600.00 per year ( for a maximum two year period).

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.