Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 341
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: How long does HIV live in the refrigator?  (Read 13804 times)

Offline queenmail123

How long does HIV live in the refrigator?
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:11:21 am »
Dear all,

I am very happy to find this site!

And this is my story:

last month,  I visited my sister  in the hospital, as I opened and cleaned the refrigator to put my fruits, I was  by chance stucked by one syringe. That syringe was used by the room-mate, I was a little bleeding..

I did not know the status of that patience, since she was away as the accident happened. But that syringe was used to inject medicines into the body, or maybe some vaccines, I did not know!

I told the accindent to my sister, she said that syringe was lying in the refrigator about ten minutes. Because there were 05 patients sharing the room, I dod not know what was inside the syringe...

My question: Did the accident put me at a risk ? Because the syringe was lying in the refrigator for 05-10 minutes ? Did the temperature kill off HIV ?

I spent the 06 weeks in a fear, I experienced nothing like ARS, but I took some meds during that time, so i am afraid that my meds could delay or stop my ARS?

PLS help me !

Thanks alot,

QUEENMAIL

Offline RapidRod

Re: How long does HIV live in the refrigator?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:13:09 am »
Did you report it at the nurses station? You could have found out real quick just by asking. Most likely you don't have a worry in the world about the stick. No vaccines will prevent the reaction of the HIV test.

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 08:24:18 am »
Thanks for ur reply!

I have not reported yet since I was in a hurry, so I ran for my business !

I just wondered : Could HIV live in the fluids of medicine, or vaccine, or something not blood ? I was sure that the fluids in the syringe was not blood, and not used for drugs... That maybe tonic-meds taking via injection, or
vaccines, for example, HBV....

And, could HIV live in the refrigerator in 05 mins ?

One month post-exposure, no symptom yet, So i am more luckier ?

Because my HIV knowledge is not good, I need your help!

Best regards

QUEENMAIL

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 09:29:20 am »
You need to discuss this situation with the hospital. I can't imagine their procedures would allow for the casual storing of needles in the manner you have described.

HIV is a fragile virus and one that is not easily transmitted. You don't even know whether the other patient is HIV and if this was in fact a used needle. So we're talking here about a lot of what ifs.

Talk to an appropriate person on the hospital staff and get it clarified.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:52:00 pm »
Definitely report it to the hospital.  Syringes are not to be stored in patient refrigerators, especially with the needle uncapped--that goes against all safety requirements and whoever is responsible needs to be written up.  This needs investigated.  Do you even know if it was a used needle?  Did someone leave it in there carelessly?  If it was used, was that patient HIV +?  Even if it was used on an HIV positive patient, your risk is still very low.  Luckily HIV is not easily transmitted that way and even a substantial, deep jab carries less than a 1% chance of infection.  Hepatitis C is much easier to spread--so in the event of any needlestick, that is really what one needs to worry about more than HIV.  So you just have too many variables.  Go to the hospital and report it and have it investigated.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 04:20:32 am »
Dear all,

Thanks for the replies! I am very happy to see them..

I have returned to report to the staff, because my friend had checked out, so, the doctor told me that that syringe was of some patients, it was used to inject vaccines, one patients had to take 03 shots per-day, and the nurse took all vaccines into one syringe, then after each shots, she wrote on the syringe, there was the name of patient written on the paper stuck on the syringe....

It seem to me that I was stucked by the syringe of the room-mate, she or he had checked out...

I have only two details :

1- I experienced no fever-rash-swollen lymphs, nothing at all!After 08 weeks, I have a slight headache, fever..Could ARS occur after 08 weeks ?

2-Could HIV live in the syringe for 05-10 minutes in the refrigerator ? In the fluids of vaccines?

I need your help!HELP ME!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 04:43:47 am »
You didn't have a risk with your little stick.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 01:47:46 pm »
Dear all,

Thanks for the replies! I am very happy to see them..

I have returned to report to the staff, because my friend had checked out, so, the doctor told me that that syringe was of some patients, it was used to inject vaccines, one patients had to take 03 shots per-day, and the nurse took all vaccines into one syringe, then after each shots, she wrote on the syringe, there was the name of patient written on the paper stuck on the syringe....

It seem to me that I was stucked by the syringe of the room-mate, she or he had checked out...

I have only two details :

1- I experienced no fever-rash-swollen lymphs, nothing at all!After 08 weeks, I have a slight headache, fever..Could ARS occur after 08 weeks ?

2-Could HIV live in the syringe for 05-10 minutes in the refrigerator ? In the fluids of vaccines?

I need your help!HELP ME!

First of all, as I said before even with a substantial jab for an HIV standpoint, it is still low risk.  To give you an example to illustrate:  I was stuck by a needle I used on a man coinfected with HIV and Heptatitis C who was also combative (with prison guards smirking nearby after stirring him up) and the needle ended up being driven almost through my hand.  Even with that it is still estimated to be less than 1%--of course there are a lot of other variables that can influence that.  I luckily didn't get Hep C (much more infectious) and I already had HIV anyway.  It sounds like in your case you only got a little prick, so it isn't something anybody would find worrisome though some will err toward the conservative approach, which would recommend you get tested anyway.  There also isn't any point in worrying about ARS symptoms.  There are some symptoms that can be associated with HIV but those are such non-specific ones that can be attributed to other conditions or don't even appear at all so only a test can tell.  There also isn't any point in speculating about HIV surviving in the refrigerator and all the other little situations you have mentioned.  If you are worried, get tested at the 3 month mark.  You will be HIV negative.  That negative test at the 3 month mark will ease your fears.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:59:08 pm by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 09:36:53 pm »
Dear all,

Thanks for your replies! BEcause my stick was serious,it made my hand bleed! While I opened and cleared the refrigerator, I was talking to my firiends, I sensed a big-pain in my hand, I looked at it and my hand was one drop of blood bleeding....

Yes, I hopethat HIV could not live in the syringe restoredin the refiregator for 05-10 mins... Thanks alot!

Since taking a test of HIV is not easy for me !I have to take a bus to the main city,take a test in the central-hospital,it costs me alot of money,one day...But I hope that I will find the free time after this Xmas...

I will go back as well as I finish my home-work...

Take care,

QUEENMAIL

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 06:38:36 am »
Dear all,

Since the incident happened to my life, I was so scared, so upset...

I am a female student, I have boy-friend, but we have not gone so far in the sexual-life yet, he understand the danger of HIV, but I sometimes I do not trust him, he has more one girl-friend.

Could I have one question regarding HIV tramsmission?

If the boy and the girl perform sex-action, he mastubate himself first by his fingers, his fingers are stuck with some pre-cum fluids,  then he performs these fingering my vagina, his finger goes deep in to my vaginal section..

If the man is poz, does this situation put me at a risk of HIV infection? HIV is once outside the body, but then goes in to my body, HIV is outside the body but stuck to his finger for 20-30 seconds!..

So, if I keep performing this, AM I free from HIV ? I do not mention the sexual intercourse since I am not allowed to do, I do not like!

PLS help me, so that I can have a easier life without worrying about HIV obsession..

Thanks alot!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:26:26 am by queenmail123 »

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 06:59:03 am »
PLS answer me! I need your help!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 07:42:31 am »
Queen,

Neither mutual masturbation nor fingering are risks for hiv infection. Not even if he has some cum on his hands.

Please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Transmission Lesson link so you can gain an understanding of what is and what isn't a risk for hiv infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 07:53:45 am »
Thanks ANN,

So, what I have prescribed is safe-sex? I have read all lessons but this confuse me!They do not mention the pre-cum on the hand...

Back to my story, if I share sex-toys with another one, she used the sex-toy, and of course, there is some vaginal fluids on the surface of the toy, then she passed it to me, maybe after 10-20 seconds, I used it to insert into my vagina, am I free from HIV ?

I need your help to keep my sexual -life but no worry! Thanx ANN,

QUEEN,

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:04:43 am by queenmail123 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 07:58:59 am »
Queen,

The bottom line is that I cannot possibly tell you if you are hiv-free or not. The ONLY way to know your hiv status is through hiv antibody testing.

The reason you won't find the cum on the hand scenario in the lesson is that it isn't a risk. If we were to list every single thing that is NOT a risk, it would be the longest webpage in history.

Sharing sex toys is not a risk for hiv unless there was copious amounts of blood involved. However, sharing sex toys IS a risk for other sexually transmitted infections.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

The bottom line is if you are in doubt of your hiv status, test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 08:11:12 am »
Thanks ANN,

Yes! I understand, I ve read  that Successful transmission takes place inside the body, it means that I have the risk if the man injaculates inside my body....Once HIV is outside the body for one second, then into my body.  it will be of no danger..

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am wondering : Why does HIV transmit when you share the syringes? I ask this because I realise that when the first( assuming poz) injects drugs into his vein, then he passes that syringe to the anotherone, then this one keeps using this syringe to inject drus into his vain.....I think no blood is taken from the vain of the fist one...There is the drug drawing only....After pumping druds into his body, no pumping blood from his vein into the syringe, right?

I guess  a very amount of blood stuck to the syringe could transmiss HIV?

Anyone help me to this question? I am very grateful!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 05:18:11 am »
Queen,

When a person injects street drugs, the usual procedure to ensure a vein has been found is to pull the plunger back, drawing an amount of blood up into the barrel of the syringe. (if the vein has been missed, no blood will appear in the barrel and they have to try again)

Sometimes people will also flush the syringe out with their own blood to get every last drop of drugs in the syringe. (by injecting the drug and pulling the plunger back a second time and injecting the blood back into the body - this is what Neil Young meant by "milk blood to keep from running out" in his song "Needle and the Damage Done")

Either way, there is a very high chance of blood remaining both in the barrel of the syringe as well as inside the hollow bore of the needle.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline queenmail123

Does this put me at a risk?
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 01:35:24 am »
Dear all,

It has been a long time for me since that last post, I have been so busy with my examination.

I was involved in a stupid action, that was the party last night.

Last night, we held a fare-well party, I drank some beers, then I felf a bit excited when the video shown the sex film. One of my classmate wanted to have sex with me. He had the comdom, but when he wore the comdom, he could not find the right side, after many times failing  to put on the condom, he turnned the comdom inside out, then he wore it and began to penetrate me.

I am afraid that some of his precum maybe stuck on the other side of that condom, and when he turned it inside out, his precum left on that side got contact to my  mucous emberance...He did not ejaculate inside of me but I am afraid that some of his pre-cum could still stuck on the surface of that condom and infect me!

Dear EXPERTS, could the scenario mentioned above put me at a risk of HIV infection? Because the virus did not got direct contact to my vagina, there could be 20 seconds the virus outside the body, because when he put on the condom, we kissed and I performed hand-job, then we had the intercourse.

I am sorry for being so stupid!

Help me!

Thanks alot, EXPERTS,

Queenmail

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 01:41:26 am »
Queen,

Even though he turned the condom inside out and put it back on before penetrating you, this is still a case of protected sex. HIV is not transmitted through protected vaginal sex.

This is not an HIV situation.

MtD

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 01:48:20 am »
Dear MATTY,

Thanks for your quick reply, you are my hero of the day!!!

But, the problem here was that the comdom could still have some pre-cum on it. IF it had that fluid, then contacted to my mucous emberance... Am i infected? I remember that he tried alot of times to put the condom on but he fell, I told him to turn it inside out...

I need your further explanation,

Thanks Matty,

Queen,

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 01:52:28 am »
Yes Queen, I'm aware that you're concerned about the potential for any precum that may have been on the condom when he turned it inside out to be a source of HIV infection. I took that into consideration when I wrote my previous response.

Even with that in mind, this is not an HIV situation.

MtD

Offline queenmail123

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 09:53:42 am »
Dear Experts,

Long time no see! I have been on the road! For saving your time to read, I am here just to say best wishes for all of you. Today is 1s, Dec.

And I have two questions:

1. The Welcome Thread mentions that fingering a woman creates no risk for the performer. but, if the finger of the performer has some wound, so, Does this scenario put the receiver at a risk?

2. Does HIV transmiss via hand-job as the finger of the performer has some bleeding wound and these wounds have direct contact to the semen?

Thanks alot, EXPERTS,

Queen,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 12:34:42 pm »
Even allowing for the specifics you have described there has never been a confirmed case of transmission via either fingering or being masturbated by someone else. HIV is a fragile virus and neither of those circumstances provide the kind of receptive setting required for transmission.

So you weren't at risk from either of those activities. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.