Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:30:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 284
Total: 285

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My experience switching from Atripla to Complera  (Read 6345 times)

Offline jam77

My experience switching from Atripla to Complera
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:53:18 pm »
I switched from Atripla to Complera at the end of May. The side effects gradually built up after more than 5 years, until the beginning of this year, when I got to the non-return point and I realized that it was starting to drive me crazy.  The worse problems were the constant insomnia, the brain fog and the difficulty at concentrating, even some mild psychosis (like songs stuck in my head over and over - replacing my normal flow of thoughs).  All these things were beginning to affect my work performances, my relationships, and just my ability to function as a happy person.

My doctor was not surprised when I proposed to switch, and he suggested Complera, because it's the only 1-pill a day option where I live. The switch was painless, no additional side effects, except some gassiness that went away in a month or so. Also a constant muscle pain (as after exercising) lasted few months but is also fading away.

So went away the insomnia and the brain fog. Finally, after few days, I was able to sleep an entire night straight, while before I would wake up in the middle of the night and be completely awake and unable to sleep for 1-2 hours. The morning fogginess also has disappeared, and the concentration is way better.

My numbers are even better. After 4 months of Complera, my CD4 went up from 875 to 1248, and I'm still undetectable. So that's great news.

Am I perfectly back to normal? Not completely. Over the last couple months some insomnia came back. Not the aggressive atripla type. Now I have a light sleep, I wake up several times during the course of the night, especially towards the morning, but quickly fall asleep again. It's not as before any treatment (I never suffered any insomnia before), but is manageable and, what's most important, I feel rested in the morning.

My concentration is back, I would say almost at the pre-Atripla levels. As other people put it, it's as if a veil was lifted from my brain. I do still feel some side effects  on some days in term of concentration and focus (and still some songs stuck in my head), but again, it's way better than with Atripla. Now, sometimes I think I could switch to a treatment with even lower CNS side effects, but 1 pill-a-day is very practical, and overall I seem to be functioning well with Complera. I'll wait few months and see.

It took me a long time to realize how bad the Atripla side effects were for me, and to finally switch, but I'm very glad I did. I am not the only one with this experience, and I hope my story can be helpful to anyone else who's going through the same problems.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: My experience switching from Atripla to Complera
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:01:19 am »
You are not alone . There is a growing number of people who are finding Atripla isn't right for them . I had similar side effects for years before I changed my meds .

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=47901.0
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:12:15 am »
I switched from Atripla to Complera also and have about exactly the same story as you. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Valmont

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:17:37 pm »
I´m very happy with Atripla because it works, but concentration difficulties make me problems, particularly on the morning...  I´m actually no working, with low stress level, but I´m worried for when I´ll be working again...  Also, I forget things, it is hard to remember names, for instance...

I´m worried in switching from this drug that is working quite qell for another that I don´t know what can happen...  In the case of switching to complera, is it posible to go back to atripla?

Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:21:19 pm »
I´m very happy with Atripla because it works, but concentration difficulties make me problems, particularly on the morning...  I´m actually no working, with low stress level, but I´m worried for when I´ll be working again...  Also, I forget things, it is hard to remember names, for instance...

Re-read this paragraph Valmont.  You say your happy with Atripla and then list several things that are negative about it. 

I´m worried in switching from this drug that is working quite qell for another that I don´t know what can happen...  In the case of switching to complera, is it posible to go back to atripla?

Yes, you can switch back
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline jam77

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:23:06 pm »

I felt the same, why changing if it works so well? Until I got to the point that the side effects where affecting my work and my daily life. It took me almost one year to realize how bad it slowly had become. I don't know if I would have realized it if I hadn't read of many similar experiences on here.

Now I am on a different drug that work equally well (or maybe better judging from the jump in cd4), and the bad side effects are practically gone. I sleep, I focus, I'm motivated, I'm happy. So in my experience it was worth switching.

Obviously each of us responds differently to the virus and the treatment. I'm not suggesting that what worked for me would work the same way for somebody else.

But your treatment has strong negative side effects, and other options are available, I think it's worth considering a switch, and discussing it frankly with your own doctor.

Hope this helps!

Offline Valmont

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »
Ok, thank you for your answer...

To buginme2:
For sure, I´m happy because of my blood result and because I considérate I tolerate it quite well, also because without it everything would be worst...  But if it exist something better, with less side effects, the choise is done...  It like to read people opinión because it is very helpful and particularly before going to my doc appointment (that way, I go there with a big list of questions...)

To Jam:
I´m aware of that and completely agree...  The fact is if I can have a better solutions, I won´t think about it twice ; but in another way, Atripla is not soooo bad...  In my case I realice I´m slowler because I change of languages and after startting the treatment particularly on the morning I have a lot of difficulty to do it fluently, it is very noticeable when I take the med very late or when I sleep very little, and this did not happened to me before I was on these meds...

I´m also happy to have only these kind of matters, this means my HIV is well controllated...
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.