Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:24:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 589
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whatever happened to ETHA?  (Read 5417 times)

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
Whatever happened to ETHA?
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »
One of the posts here reminded me about the Early Treatment of HIV act which is still languishing in limbo in both the Senate and Congress.  I think this was first introduced in Congress in 2003 and pretty much died there.

The senate version for 2007 (S860 - link) was introduced on March 13, 2007 and referred to the Senate Committee on Finance and the house version for 2007 (HR3326 - link) was reintroduced on August 2, 2007 and referred to the House Committee on Energy and Finance.

POZ had an article about it when it was reintroduced in Congress: http://www.poz.com/articles/early_hiv_etha_1_12690.shtml

The Treatment Access Expansion Project (TAEP) has been at the forefront of this since prior to its first introduction in Congress.  Here's their fact sheet: http://www.napwa.org/AidsWatch/pdf/2007/ETHAFactSheet.pdf

The American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM) supports this: http://www.aahivm.org/images/stories/pdfs/remarks_hoffmanterry_etha_intro0807.pdf

This is an older publication surrounding this bill when it was initially introduced that has more details: http://www.aidsaction.org/communications/publications/ETHA_facts.pdf

I wonder what it would take to get this moving again?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:05:48 pm by gerry »

Offline Iggy

Re: Whatever happened to ETHA?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:39:47 am »
Gerry,

I didn't know of this issue, but am willing to lend my support if someone wants to spearhead this.  I'm a little bogged down (and well behind as Emeraldize will attest ) on the travel ban project so I can't offer to take any sort of lead in this, but I do welcome the chance to work on it in some capacity.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 09:46:18 pm »
Iggy:

After reading further, I'm not too hopeful about this at this point.  It has actually been introduced to the Congress and Senate since 1999.  There was one version of it I recall that we tried to do an e-mail campaign to no avail.  It will probably have the same fate as its previous versions, I'm afraid.  It would probably also take more than just an e-mail/letter campaign to give this a chance.

Gerry

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:07 am »
Hi Gerry. This PDF highlights the Republican `08 hopefuls who oppose or are undecided on ETHA: Giuliani, Huckabee, Hunter, McCain, Romney, Tancredo, Thompson

and the Democrat hopefuls who have at least some knowledge about ETHA: Clinton, Dodd, Edwards, Gravel, Kucinich, Obama, Richardson

ETHA is looked at elsewhere several times in this PDF among other HIV/AIDS national issues.
http://www.gmhc.org/policy/federal/pres_report.pdf

I have to smile at these names: Etha, Enda. They sound like avant garde baby names straight out of Berkeley

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 11:46:08 am »
Thanks Alex.  I have read that report and it is very telling.  However, I think ETHA will likely take a back seat in terms of the overall health care reform landscape that will await realization after the new president gets elected.  There were 2 identical comprehensive health care reform bills introduced this year in Senate and Congress (Health Americans Act S334 & HR3163) that have remained largely unnoticed.  We are entering the 3rd year of the Medicare Modernization Act and the huge cost and mess it is generating (which many folks warned about) is now showing.  So whoever wins the presidential race better have some real plans on how to deal with these issues.

Incidentally, I recently watched this older September 07 video from Iowa Public TV http://www.iptv.org/video/detail.cfm/634 that focused on health care from democratic candidates (Obama wasn't there, though) and it gives a good idea of what the candidates' positions are.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.