Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:03:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 474
Total: 476

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need risk assessment please  (Read 4468 times)

Offline squigglyone

Need risk assessment please
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:08:57 am »
Hi everyone! 

I've had 2 recent encounters with CSWs

1st -4 wks ago- she fingered her vagina, then immediately massaged the tip of my penis.  

2nd -3 wks ago- I fingered her for 5 mins, quickly used hand sanitizer.  I inspected fingers & noticed rough looking hangnail, and a pinpoint looking break in the skin.  2 hrs later, i noticed coagulated blood where the hangnail once was.  This sent me into a panic because it may have been open and bleeding during the fingering.

I'm not AS concerned about the first episode - i know HIV dies quickly once exposed to air - however, the fluid exchange was rapid, and was massaged onto my urethra.  The 2nd episode makes me really nervous.  i can't help but wonder if there was an open actively bleeding wound while i was fingering her.  

now i have fatigue, malaise, sore throat, and mild fever (mid 99's) 3-4 weeks out.  I know symptoms are bad indicators, but still!

1.  what are the odds of infection for these 2 encounters?  Would you say i have a better chance of being abducted by aliens and then having a meteor fall on the spaceship?  I realize i'm resorting to hyperbole, but i want to know if my chances are truly infinitesimal.  is the risk zero?

2.  If my finger wound was in fact fresh and bleeding during fingering, could a torn hangnail be a wound that would provide a route for HIV infection?   is a fresh hangnail wound deep enough (assuming it's actively bleeding)?  

3.  If your answer to #2 is no, why?  Biologically, what is the difference between sticking a finger with a fresh wound (like bleeding hangnail) in a vagina vs an exposed penis?  Aren't both equally opportune routes of invasion?  Clearly, HIV is transmitted through skin breaks or cuts - to health care providers, for example.

4.  is it possible for ARS to show with a sore throat/fatigue/malaise WITHOUT a high fever or rash?  How high typically is an ARS fever?  

Thanks so much!!  I look forward to your replies!

Best,

S.O.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Need risk assessment please
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:51:34 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

You didn't have an exposure.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:03 am »
squiggs,

1. Yes, you have a much better chance of being abducted by aliens and then having the spaceship hit by a meteorite than you do of being infected through fingering. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you are not going to be the first.

2. No. You're not going to be infected through a torn hangnail. See answer #1 above. If you cut the tip of your finger off and then immediately fingered someone with the stump, you might have a reason to be concerned, but why would you want to do that?

3. Because hiv can only infect a very few, very specific types of cells, ones that aren't readily available in a shallow wound. Hiv is actually very fragile and difficult to transmit.

4. Many people never experience a single symptom of hiv seroconversion. For this reason, we do not put any emphasis on symptoms, because it may lead someone who has had an actual risk (you did NOT have a risk) to think they're ok because they had no symptoms.

Believe me, if we though you had a risk, we'd tell you and urge you to test. You did NOT have a risk and you do NOT need to test over either of these two incidents.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST SPECIFICALLY OVER FINGERING, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline squigglyone

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:57:08 pm »
Thanks for the reassurances, Ann. I do also appreciate your Thorough responses. And, logically I do realize this.  And I will also test - not just for peace of mind, but also as a routine std screening.

With that said, I still dont quite get how anyone gets infected with contaminated instruments if an open wound cannot provide an avenue for infection. I gather CD4 cells circulate through the bloodstream, and if a wound draws blood, and that wound comes into contact with HIV infected fluids, why isn't transmission possible?  I mean, even if CD4 cells aren't RIGHT there, can't the virus make its way through the bloodstream to the lymphatic system where these cells are most certainly in abundance?

The standard response that fingering with an open and actively bleeding hangnail isn't a risk seems counterintuitive. I know that there have never been documented cases of transmission through fingering, but in reality I doubt that any study participants among serodiscordant couples have ever had mutual masterbation as the ONLY sexual contact risk, and we all know scientists assume (for good reason, no doubt) that if infection occurs it must have been caused by the more established riskier activities (unprotected anal or vaginal) as opposed to other activities that are simultaneously being carried out (ie fingering with recent open wound).

Sorry for the rambling. :).

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:41:52 pm by squigglyone »

Offline squigglyone

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »
Of course, please do feel free to comment/respond - Ann, Andy, all.  ;D

Best!

S.O.

Offline squigglyone

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:19:42 pm »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:33 am »
Ann, Andy, Rod.. anyone??

Squiggs,

You need to be patient. When you posted the above, it was twenty past two in the morning here in the middle of the Irish Sea. Your other posts were made when I was having my supper and then when I had my feet up, watching telly. Those of us who answer questions here do have lives, you know.

With that said, I still dont quite get how anyone gets infected with contaminated instruments if an open wound cannot provide an avenue for infection.

What you're not getting is that it is rare in the extreme for someone to be infected in this manner. In the thirty years of this pandemic, there have only been one or two cases where a person has been infected through medical instruments (other than needle-stick injuries, in which case infections aren't all that common, or needle sharing by drug users). If you think of all the medical procedures that go on every day around the world, you'll see just how rare infection by this method is.

You go on to bring up the "what if" scenario of a negative person in a poz/neg relationship being infected by fingering but it being attributed to unprotected intercourse, but then why is this not happening in the couples who correctly and consistently use condoms?

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

I myself was in a poz/neg relationship for over eight years. He is in the building trade and often has cuts, nick, hangnails etc on his hands and fingers. Yet he remained hiv negative and is hiv negative to this day - through the simple use of condoms for intercourse. 

The bottom line here is that you have not had a risk for hiv infection. We will not hold your hand over this matter.

Of course you should test - including a full panel of STI testing - because this is what responsible adults do at least once a year, not because you had a risk. (You did not have a risk.) Think of it like going for a yearly dental check up. You may not have a toothache, but you go and get checked out anyway.

Ann
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:42:07 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:48:58 am »
Ann has covered this situation throughly as to why you are worrying needlessly. HIV is a fragile virus. We would have known decades before today if what you are worrying about was a legitimate concern.

You are bothering yourself needlessly. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline squigglyone

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »
Ann/Andy/Rod,

Sorry if i appeared impatient -- i'm sure you know the anxiety can be quite overwhelming.  plus, I'm obviously over-analyzing this situation.  No sex = No risk. 

I will just have to bite the bullet and get tested at 6 weeks and pray i come out ok.  You do a wonderful service to us all. 

much love,

S.O.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 05:04:59 am »

No sex = No risk.

Squiggs,

"Sex" is a pretty all-encompassing word. Let's get a bit more specific.

Sexually speaking, "no unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse" = no risk.

Sexually speaking, only unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse are proven risks for hiv infection.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.