Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:02:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 630
Total: 630

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: are grapefruit ok?  (Read 7851 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
are grapefruit ok?
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:48:29 pm »
Not sure if this is where this thread belongs, but I figured I'd get a better response here.  If it needs to be moved, i understand.  My question is:
are grapefruit ok to eat?  What about drinking grapefruit juice?  Mini is on kaletra, susteva, and zerit.  I don't remember reading anything about it in the papers that come with her meds and the bottles don't have a warning sticker on them.  What do grapefruit do?  Are other citrus fruits/juices ok? I'm asking because someone gave her a bag with oranges and grapefruit in it and she wants to eat them for breakfast.  I told her I'd ask her friends for her ;D.

Thanks!
mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: are grapefruit ok?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:17:56 am »
Hey Mum,

I think that grapefruit juice + saquinavir (Invirase) is a no-no, that drug isn't approved for use in kiddies. It may apply to other protease inhibitors too.

Perhaps other more knowledgeable members and/or our Drug Lessons can give further insights here.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:19:55 am »
I know grapefruit/juice does interfere with some medications (cholesterol ones are notable), though as for HIV specific ones I don't know which it does or doesn't.  Ask your doctor -- that's what they should know.

I just avoid the question by rarely buying it, though if I feel like eating a grapefruit I don't run in horror.  In fact, I bought one today, but that said I probably don't eat one more than once each month and I never buy the juice as the size I would buy would be a large container which is more than one serving. 

There is no issue with other fruit/juices that I know of, so that should make your question easier.  Still, I'd advise you to ask your doctor.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline minismom

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:33:55 am »
Thx matty and phiily.  I read the lessons and didn't see anything about not having grapefruit.  I did learn that kaletra needs to be increased if it's being used with susteva (which it is for mini) and that all her meds cause the same side effects which pretty much sucks for her.  When, and IF, her PID ever comes out of hiding AND if she won't change her to something less toxic, we'll definatly talk about the need to increase her kaletra - but i'd rather her get off it all together.

Thx again and sleep well!
Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 02:31:00 am »
Hi Mum,

The first time I was put on Lipitor for Cholesterol, I was told not to eat grapefruit or drink the juice.  So much for Salty Dogs at Sunday Brunch.

Recently, I was put back on Lipitor for Cholesterol (different doctor, different clinic).  I asked about grapefruit juice and was told it was OK... My HIV meds are Sustiva and Trizivir.  However comma I hate grapefruit juice without vodka as I hate water without scotch.  Mini should not be having that problem for a long time  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 03:06:52 am »
The problem with concentrated grapefruit juice is that it reduces absorption (i.e. it boosts the blood levels and increases side effects) of most protease inhibitors, SSRI antidepressants and some cholesterol drugs; so it is best to avoid drinking it at the same time as (or within a few hours of) taking drugs.

A little of the actual fruit shouldn’t be much a of problem (you have to eat a fair bit of grapefruit to get the equivalent of a glass of concentrated grapefruit juice), but you may just want to play it safe and keep it clear of medication times.

As far as I am aware, other citrus fruits and their juices are fine .. although there is something in the back of my mind about the old style of ddI (didanosine, Videx) and orange juice and/or grapefruit juice, but I can’t for the life of me remember what that is.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:33:37 am by vokz »

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:03:59 am »
Hello, MM. I take Atripla, Truvada and Sustiva , and from what i understand Grapefruit is a big no-no. It affects the absorption of the meds so I just don't drink or eat it. wish Newt were here, he know all that kind of stuff.    Other citrus are okay, just something about the grapefruit. Put it away, give her the oranges and ask your doctor about the grapefruit, just to be safe. Not much help to you but I want to try.   Cristy

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:41:58 am »
Cristy,

Whilst adverse grapefruit juice interactions with efavirenz (Sustiva & Atripla) and nevirapine (Viramune) are THEORETICALLY possible, you would have to drink vast amounts of the stuff (as in several pints a day) for the interaction to even register.

I suspect that whoever told you to avoid grapefruit juice with Atripla was simply taking the easy option and telling people not to drink it with any antiretroviral.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:44:18 am by vokz »

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 11:31:48 am »
I am on Atripla, and I know from reading the drug interaction section for Sustiva, it specifically states to stay away from grapefruit on the labeling...but I don't like it in any form, so that was an easy on for me...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 11:56:47 am »
I am on Atripla, and I know from reading the drug interaction section for Sustiva, it specifically states to stay away from grapefruit on the labeling

On the official package / patient information leaflet?

Can you give me the number / date of the leaflet?

My package leaflets certainly don’t mention it. I can find nothing in any of the current prescribing or patient information, for either Sustiva or Atripla, that advises against drinking grapefruit juice. Nor can I find a single reputable online source saying it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:32:48 pm by vokz »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 11:58:32 am »
Hey MM,

Yes, grapefruit are a no-no for those of us on PIs. or NNRTIs. I used to do as Philly does, eat one occasionally, but my doc told me to stop because the enzyme-busting ingredient in grapefruit lingers in the body for quite a while.

Here is a link discussing it:

http://www.poz.com/articles/159_447.shtml

Other citrus is fine, just my beloved grapefruit, especially the pink, is verboten.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 12:06:19 pm »

Other citrus is fine, just my beloved grapefruit, especially the pink, is verboten.

HUGS,

Mark

Oh, Miss Thing!  The one I bought yesterday is a PINK one.

But seriously, I swear I've not been warned by a doctor about any of this since like 2001 and due to insurance changes and relocating to another city I've gone through four HIV doctors since then.  Not a one after that year has said a thing.

I still can't imagine having ONE every two months is going to adversely effect me. 

Oh, and btw honey, your link specifically mentions the juice, not the actual fruit.  I think like vokz stated that there's a huge difference due to the concentration in the juice one finds at the store.  I never buy the juice.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 12:25:03 pm »

I just bought a bunch of pink ones and ate one every day this week, and I am on Invirase. Just had no clue. Thanks Minismum for raising this
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 01:52:04 pm »
I am on Norvir, Reyataz, Truvada and Epzicom and my ID told me to not eat ANY grapefruit or drink any grapefruit juice. something about an enzyme in it affected absorption. She then said I could probably eat half a grapefruit every now and then after taking my meds so many hours beofore and not take them so many hours later, yadda, yadda but the concentration of enzyme in the juice was a big no no. I always err on the side of caution so now I don't eat any grapefruit which bites because I love them but that's something I chose to do.

My 2 cents, ask your ID doc before she has them. They don't spoil fast!

8) 8)

When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 04:33:54 pm »
I am on Atripla, and I know from reading the drug interaction section for Sustiva, it specifically states to stay away from grapefruit on the labeling...but I don't like it in any form, so that was an easy on for me...
                                                                                               I ,too, remember reading that on my information packet that comes with my Atripla. Whether it's on the packet from the pharmacy or the company packet, I can't remember.                                   Even if it's only Atripla, I would err on the side of caution and not give her any. But that's just me.        Cristy

Offline minismom

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 08:20:41 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your posts and links!  We decided to err on the side of caution and gave them away to ds2's birthday party guests!  Most thought it was really cool :-\  We explained to her that she could have all the other fruit she wanted, just not the grapefruit.  Since she'd never had one, she isn't missing it.  If/when her PID ever comes out of hiding, we'll be sure to ask her.

Thanks again!

Mum
www.watoto.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.