Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PEP  (Read 14798 times)

Offline Questioning

PEP
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:09:55 am »
Hello, I just had a few questions...
Last night I received oral sex from another male and his teeth caused small abrasions on the glans of my penis.  They did not bleed, but the skin became slightly inflamed and appeared to cause a "blood blister"  (it appeared slightly violet) that was gone this morning, though a much improved reddish area remained.  I did not discover any blood in my boxers and there does not seem to be a cut, but it is possible of course it is not visible to the naked eye.  I immediately washed the area and urinated after the oral sex was performed.  I am unsure of his status as well as whether or not he had open sores in his mouth. Is there a reason to be concerned as well as a reason to be tested?  If so, what are the chances of transmission via this expsoure? 

A more general question:
As I understand, HIV is more prevalent among the African American population.  Is this due to a lifestyle difference or a genetic susceptibility?

Thanks!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: couple questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:49:36 am »
Questioning,

Receiving oral sex is not and never has been a risk for HIV transmission. Please read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

That said, sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. All full STD screen includes an HIV antibody test. Others STD's, such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and genital herpes are much more prevalent and contagious than HIV. If you've not had a full screen for a while or if you've not had one at all you might consider making an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

One other thing, HIV is colour blind. It doesn't care who you are, it cares about what you do. African-Americans (or any other racial/cultural grouping) do not have any "genetic susceptibility" to HIV infection.

MtD

Offline Questioning

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 04:52:24 am »
Hi, I am worried sick now...I saw my primary care physician today because my throat has been sore and my eczema has gone haywire.   He asked if I had been tested for HIV recently. I was tested and clean in August.  However, his conrcern has caused a huge concern on my own part.  I have never had unprotected anal sex nor have I used any kind of drugs.  I have had a few incidents where transmission may be possible but highly unlikely. I have limited my sexual behavior to a minimum since I was 16 and have not engaged in any high risk activities.  I am highly concerned because he mentioned this.   I have been extremely stressed lately because I have 3 exams and 2 papers due next week and Im just now getting over bronchitis, which may be the reasons for my medical problems.  I need some form of support or advice... can anyone help me?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 05:01:21 am »
You should have ask the doctor why he/she thought you needed to be tested. You didn't have a risk. Read the "Welcome" thread and follow the link in lessons to transmission. You are spending valuable time worrying about a non risk situation when you could be applying it to your studies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 05:35:52 am »
Question,

If your doctor knows you are gay, that might be why he asked you about testing. Even though it would be good practice for doctors to ask ALL their patients that question, unfortunately some doctors buy into the myth that only gay men are at risk.

By the way, you say you were "clean" in August. Have you had a shower or bath since then? To use the term "clean" to describe your hiv status implies that those of us who ARE hiv positive are dirty. This is highly insulting so please think about your choice of words in future. Thanks.

You didn't have a risk of hiv infection when you got that blowjob.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Questioning

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:04:04 am »
     Tonight I contacted the CDC with a few questions regarding HIV.  According to them, HIV can be transmitted through receiving oral sex via passage through the urethra.  From the literature that I have read and my own knowledge, this seems to be a little out there.  You guys claim it is not a route of transmission, who do I believe?
     My throat is still hurting today.  I have no other symptoms of a possible infection aside from my eczema being severe right now.  I purchased an HIV home test kit tonight, but I am questionsing if it is too soon to be tested.  I am thinking it isn't since "symptoms" are a result of seroconversion.  Could someone help me out?
    Additionally, I sincerely apologize for my poor usage and misuse of terminology, my intentions were never to offend anyone in the previous post.  I had seen the term "clean" used in many other places and it therefore seemed acceptable.  However, I realize now it is not and again, I apologize.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 05:04:32 am »
Questions,

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever become infected that way and you won't be the first.

As for the CDC - they're a part of the US government. Have you noticed how the current administration clings to hiv prevention policies that don't work, like abstinence only? They've got a moral agenda, pure and simple. We don't. We go by facts, they go by religious dogma much of the time. The current administration is fast becoming known for their lies. Need I say more?

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection, no matter what anti-sex propaganda comes out of the current administration in the White House.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Questioning

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 11:52:02 am »
I read in another post that seroconversion occurs on average at 22 days from exposure, I'm at around 20 days since the blowjob described above and have a sore throat for no reason.  This makes me nervous and If in the case I were to be seroconverting, this test would let me know that if I took it today, 4 days after the mysterious sore throat started?

Thanks for your help, it means a lot!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 12:00:03 pm »
Quest,

What part of NO RISK don't you understand? Saliva is not infectious and getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Questioning

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 02:26:04 am »
Hey guys, I just received negative test results for my the home access test.  I had been experiencing for 4 days (and still am) a sore throat.  Had this been due to a recent infection of HIV, regardless of my risk factors, would this be too soon for the test to detect antibodies?  In other words, if I was showing "symptoms" due to serconversion and tested for antibodies during this period, would it be too soon?  I am sorry for any inconvenience, but thanks again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 04:16:57 am »
You wasted your money. You took the test to early and you didn't have a risk to begin with. What a way to waste money. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? I sure do.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 07:59:18 am »
You're questioning but you're not really listening to the responses you get.

You were not at risk for HIV. You never needed to test. We're not going to get into further details about tests because it's irrelevant in your case.

This is not an HIV situation and I don't see that there's anything else for us to tell you.

Perhaps you need to see a mental health professional to discuss why you persist in seeing HIV as an issue for you when there's no basis in HIV science for that concern.
Andy Velez

Offline Questioning

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 08:39:36 pm »
Hi, last night I went to have anal sex ( I was the insertive partner) and not enough lube was used causing the condom to break as I started penetration.  Very little of my penis was inside (probably not even the entire head) and I removed it immediately, washed and urinated.  Previously, there had been no penetration so I doubt there was any risk of blood involved. Am I at risk?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 09:54:13 am »
Technically that was a risky incident when the condom broke. However, given what you have described including the brevity of the incident and you being the insertive partner, which makes the risk even lower, I would say that you will come out of this ok as far as HIV is concerned.

Just for your own peace of mind I suggest you get tested at 13 weeks and collect the inevitable negative result.

In the future, make sure you are using latex condoms which fit you properly.

I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Questioning

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 12:17:25 pm »
Just wondering, how is it HIV is transmitted through insertive anal sex?  Is there HIV present in the rectum and colon or does transmission occur due to ruptured tissue within the large intestine leading to bleeding?  Thanks for your help!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 06:27:12 pm »
Quest,

Hiv is present in the lining of the rectum. Risk of infection is increased if damage to this lining occurs and it actively bleeds. You must always wear a condom for anal intercourse.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Questioning

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 09:42:35 pm »
Hi, what are the chances statistically of me contracting HIV through this incident?  Would you suggest PEP or are the chances too low?  I remember reading somwhere 1 in 3000 for insertive anal sex?  So I am assuming the chances would be much lower due to the brevity of the incident.  Does anyone else have additional input on this incident?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 06:55:30 am »
Quest,

Considering the condom broke before you were even really inside, and you stopped immediately, then it's highly unlikely that you would have become infected.

If you had carried on regardless of the broken condom AND the guy was definitely hiv poz, then PEP MIGHT be warranted. PEP is not something to be taken lightly. It also must be initiated within 72 hours of the incident, but within 36 hours is better.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about in this instance, but as Andy has told you, you would be wise to test for your own peace of mind.

Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can prevent this happening to you again. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Questioning

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 03:55:35 am »
Hi, for my own peace of mind around the holiday season, I was considering getting tested at a little less than 8 weeks.  As I understand, 13 weeks- 6 months is recommended, but I also read that for most people, seroconversion occurs between 4-6 weeks.  How accurately would a test at about 8 weeks reflect my status?  I would of course be tested again at 13 weeks for certainty.  Thanks!

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 04:30:02 am »
Questioning

Only a very small minority will seroconvert between week 6 and and 3 months.

If you receive a negative after 8 weeks this will most likely be the result after 3 months aswell.

The 3 months result is conclusive. You do not need to retest after 6 months.

Regards

D.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 04:48:50 pm »
Quest,

Just for clarity's sake, DarkFiber meant to say "You do not need to retest AT 6 months. (not "after" - I'm confident that was a typo, right Dark?)

A three month test is conclusive, end of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 03:57:18 am »
Ann

No not a typo... Just the damn language barrier;-(((

In Switzerland we use the Swiss words for "at" and "after" exactly the other way around.

The trouble with you english speaking guys and girls is, that you use a different word for everything  :-)

Forgive me I am Swiss....

Of course "at" not "after"....

D.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:11:55 am by Darkfiber »

Offline Questioning

Anal
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 02:02:35 pm »
The other night I was at the beach and got highly intoxicated at the local bar.  I ended up going back to my hotel with a guy and proceeded to mess around.  While I only remember bits and pieces, I do remember him getting on top of me after using vaseline to masturbate me.  During kissing, he stuck my penis into his rectum without giving me warning and without a condom.  Before I had time to react, my entire penis was in him.  However, as soon as it happened I pulled out and refused to have sex without a condom.  We continued to kiss and he tried a couple other times, though as far as I can recall, there was little, if any penetration in those instances.  I got a condom, though we did not have sex ultimately.  There was also some oral involved.  A previous incident had happened to me similar to this with a condom that busted where penetration was very brief.  I was told the chances of contracting HIV were negligible and wondered if the same was true for this incident.  It has been a little over 24 hours.  Thanks for your help!

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Anal
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 02:28:41 pm »
Let's see. First off, as you recount, the risk of HIV transmission was definitely slight for both of you and nearly zero for you as the active (your penis, his rectum) partner. You were both at risk for other STDs which I think you know, and they can be easy to acquire. Despite your best efforts, it appears things happen differently when you are sober than when you are high. Think on that as well. Educate yourself further on risk reduction, and continue to use condoms. 
 8)  -megasept

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 03:45:40 pm »
Just as a precaution I would recommend getting tested at 13 weeks. The risk was indeed low since it was a very brief incident, but low risk is not the same as no risk. I would certainly expect you to test negative.

Since you're sexually active it would be a good idea to have a full STD panel done regularly. That means annually and every six months is even better.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 05:20:36 pm »
Quest,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Questioning

Anal
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 01:08:52 pm »
On New Year's day, I had receptive anal sex with another male for the first time in 6 years.  He claims he always practices safe sex and was tested sometime during the summer of 2007.  Initially, a condom was used.  He then pulled out and the condom was on during this time.  I got lost in the moment and he reinserted his penis.  I am concerned that before reinserting his penis, he removed the condom, though the only thing that leads me to believe this is that when i looked again after he pulled out the second time, was that he no longer had the condom on and was masturbating.  The second insertion was for approximately 20-30 seconds and he did not ejaculate.  From what I can tell, he precums very little, if at all.  I am lost as to what do at this point and wondered what my options are (PEP, etc.)? 

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 01:16:17 pm »
Quest,

Once again, I've merged your threads. Please read the posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread and get with the program.

You certainly don't need PEP over this incident. Why would he pull the condom off before going back inside you? You say he always practices safer sex; he doesn't want hiv - or any other infections - either.

You can test at the three month point if you want to, but I fully expect you to test negative again.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Questioning

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 01:32:53 pm »
Sorry Ann!  For some reason I have difficulties posting, etc.  I saw the option for a reply to my last post, but I wasn't sure that's what I needed to do.  Again, my apologies!

Offline Questioning

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 09:23:22 pm »
Well, I was more concerned in that there was not a reason for him to pull out when he did.  Also, I do not know him well enough to know how truthful he was being about his sex life/HIV status.  Therefore, I was somewhat concerned, especially when I learned later the frequency that he had sexual encounters with other men. Would that change anything regarding this situation?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 10:21:51 pm »
Provided he used a condom when he fucked you it wouldn't matter if he'd been banged by every man in the northern hemisphere.

Like Ann I can see no reason to think this fellow took the condom off in the middle of the shag, If you're concerned about it, however, then get tested in three months. You've been around here since 2006, you should already know this stuff.

For the record, I don't think you need to test.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:55 am »
Like Ann and Matty I don't see any reason to believe the fellow swiftly removed the condom and then reinserted himself briefly in you. Doesn't make any kind of sense.

Since you hadn't had receptive anal in quite a while I suspect this is really more about your anxiety about that rather than any real risk in this specific situation. Condoms provide very effective protection so even if you were with the whoremaster of Babylon you'd still be well protected.

I don't see cause for further concern about HIV in relation this incident.
Andy Velez

Offline Questioning

Oral
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »
Hi, last night I was giving oral sex to my partner.  I have encouraged him to get tested, but he has not yet.  However, when he was about to ejaculate, I did not hear him tell me and some semen got into my mouth.  I rinsed immediately with water and mouth wash.  MY gums did not appear to be bleeding, but slightly inflamed.  Is there a need to be tested for this incident or take further actions?  Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 06:25:06 pm »
No, there is not a need to get tested. If you have some sort of HIV phobia, I would suggest you educate yourself on HIV or refrain from sex all together if it involves another person.

Offline Questioning

PEP
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 04:04:32 am »
Hey guys, last night I had an incident where the condom busted and I am unsure of my partner's status, though it is questionable.  Immediately, I went to the local ER.  There, the doctor decided that it would be in my best interest to start me on PEP, again.  I just finished my first PEP a month ago after a previous incident that was very similar.  During the first treatment, I was given a Truvada/Kaletra combo that I completed.  However, I missed a few doses of the Kaletra while on it (around 8 tablets).  After I finished the Truvada, I continued with the Kaletra to finish the missed doses. My new PEP is a combo of Combivir/Kaletra.  However, the dosage of Kaletra is larger (200/50) and I am taking 150/300 of Combivir.  Should I speak with a physician about using something other than Kaletra since I have taken it before and there was some inconsistency involved with its usage?  Any advice you may have would be great. Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

Re: PEP
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:19 am »
If you are going to skip doses, why bother taking PEP at all? No you don't need to ask the doctor to change medications.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: PEP
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 05:24:31 am »
Quest,

I removed your post from the forum meant for positive people only where you posted it and merged it here, in the only thread you should be posting in.

If you were the insertive partner, you are wasting your time and money being on PEP.

You should not be using PEP as a substitute for the proper use of condoms. Correctly used condoms rarely break. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid mishaps in future.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.