Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:11:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 245
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
Smoking
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:06:20 pm »
Why is it hard for some to quit and others it is like a big deal?

I have tried several times and do OK when I am not around others but as soon as they light up I just have too have one.

For those of you that have kicked the habit three cheers for you!!!!

For us other people that have tried and failed over and over again just keep your chin up and never stop trying.

Just hate that there are bans here and bans there for smoking, I can remember back in the 70's when there were never that much talk about smokers. But boy has time changed now one person dies of lung cancer and it is blamed on smoking. I have had several people in my family that have died but it was not of lung cancer and they were smokers most all of there lives. ???

Just makes you wonder sometimes????

Offline weasel

Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:17:59 pm »
hey Jerry  :),

keep trying ,you can do it !

smoking  in the seventies

was just like SEX  in the seventies !

you did it, nobody knew it would kill you ,   BUT  now  that we know

why would  anyone just keep doing it ?

I am glad  they are finally banning smoking !

it is a filthy habit ,and does nothing for you !

I found it easier to QUIT  after my MOM  started  to show signs of ill health .

It took  MOM another TEN  years to quit

AND it took ten years of dragging an air bottle around before she

passed to heaven , and all because  of cigarettes !

please keep trying to stop , took me a few years , but it does
                                    make life better !

good health to you ,  karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:00:15 pm »
I have tried several times and do OK when I am not around others but as soon as they light up I just have too have one.

Unfortunately, this is one of the most trying issues new quitters face. It's still difficult for me and it's been a year. I've chosen to not place myself near common smokers for the most part. While this may suck socially, it's easier to avoid others who smoke than it is to have only one lung to breathe with.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
Funny I'm seeing this as I was wrestling with going to 7-11 to get some cigs.  I quit two months ago and it seems it was easier in the beginning.  I'm not sure why. 

I guess just keep trying.  I don't pester people who smoke, since I absolutely despise that sort of thing.  It's each person's choice.  I believe it's a good one to make, but should one not make it, I still love 'em.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Lis

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:35:21 pm »
I quit when I had PCP  but I'll be damned if I got a give a fuck attiude when I was well... I wish I wanted to quit... the money spent SUCKS..

when youre ready to stop you will... BE STRONG!!!!!!
poz 1986....

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 12:01:40 am »
Funny I'm seeing this as I was wrestling with going to 7-11 to get some cigs.  I quit two months ago and it seems it was easier in the beginning.  I'm not sure why. 

I guess just keep trying.  I don't pester people who smoke, since I absolutely despise that sort of thing.  It's each person's choice.  I believe it's a good one to make, but should one not make it, I still love 'em.

I didn't smoke when I was in the hospital for the angioplasty, but ripped the patch off as soon as I got home. I'm one week in with Chantix: as MtD promised, it kills the pleasure and makes smoking seem completely futile. The label says it's made in Germany...fucking Krauts. :-[
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline HivToTell

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 04:19:40 am »
I did smoke some 22 years and then I asked prescription for Champix from my doctor. And well, now after 7 months of non-smoking life it seems that the pills did their work.
A man can tell a thousand lies
I've learned my lesson well
Hope I live to tell
The secret I have learned, 'till then
It will burn inside of me

Offline David_CA

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:22:53 pm »
when youre ready to stop you will... BE STRONG!!!!!!

Lis has it exactly right.  Jerry, you've said you're ok until others around you light up.  To me, that means you've (mostly) broken the physical addiction... or at least have the power to suppress it.  What's left, after the physical addiction, is the mental one, and I think that's the hardest one to break. 

I got really good at quitting; I'd done it many times.  Each time I quit and would fail, it seemed like it was less likely that I would quit.  You know, I'd set the precedent of failure.  When I finally did quit, I picked a random date and marked it on the calender.  I quit all caffeine about 10 days prior to quitting smoking.  The day I quit, I'd smoked about a pack and a half on my way to finishing up the second pack.  I went to the store and bought three more packs.  I finished up the 2nd one and smoked as many of the other packs as I could.  I chain smoked for hours.  As soon as I was finished with one, I'd light another up whether I wanted it or not.  I went to bed pretty late that night (jacked up on nicotine!). 

When I got up the next day, I felt like total crap.  I could barely talk; my throat was so raw.  I took a nice hot shower and coughed up a lot of nasty stuff.  I let my mind wander to think about smoking a cigarette and almost threw up.  Just the thought of one almost made me sick!  That was exactly what I was hoping for.  It was like getting really sick from a particular liquor; it's likely to be a good while, if ever, that one wants to drink it again.  I started back with my usual caffeine intake, which pretty much helped with the blahs from the lack of nicotine. 

That was December 10, 1990, and I've not smoked one since.   You CAN quit when YOU are ready.  Until then, in my mind, there's really no need in trying.  Good luck with it and avoid being around those smokers for a bit if it helps YOU to not smoke.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.