Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:02:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 269
Total: 269

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: UPDATE--It hasn't Really Sinked in Yet...  (Read 11956 times)

Offline Ricky

UPDATE--It hasn't Really Sinked in Yet...
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:19:48 pm »
I have had countless HIV tests in the past all coming back neg :-)  It was my last and least worrisome test, at least I thought, that still has me numb.  I don't think It has really sinked in yet... but the more I read the more I find myself in denial or something... its gonna be life changing, I know but it's still hard to say "Yes I am HIV positive... So why am I hear...?  Support, friends that can share their experiences with me... A place I can ask ?'s no matter how crazy or naive it may sound...  This Thursday I go for my T4 and Viral counts... kind of nervous really.. what would be average or what should I expect? ....  Well hopefully this will be a nice medium to communicate with others that are in the same boat as me :-) ;D

Aug. 15, 2006....
Hey Guys not really sure how to post a reply in my own string of messages so here is my update from last Thursday..
Well when I went to my doc she walked in and told me that she had very good news.. I was thinking, "oh I must have a high cd4 and low viral load & don't need meds yet," but she told me i must be in the 2-5% population that has been exposed to the virus but because of my gene makeup or for someother reason, I didn't contract the virus... Has anyone ever heard of such a thing.... my cd4 was like 1200 and no viral load.... I do have to go back in 3 months to make sure, but she told me pretty much that my cd4 should be lower and if not anything, my viral load should be through the roof, for someone just being infected...  so now my emotions have been dragged through hell and back... I believe and trust my doc, but then again I aways have some doubt...  You guys have been great with your replies and I really appreciate the real "loving feeling" from total strangers :-)  But please I still wanna hear what you might have to say with my visit...

Thanks again,
Ricky
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:53:29 pm by Ricky »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: It hasn't Really Sinked in Yet...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:50:47 pm »
there is no average we can estimate for you.

normal cd4 range between 500 and 1300.

Anything under 500 is slightly compromised

Aids is typically defined as less than 200 cd4.

It doesn't seem like you will be there since you seem to test regularly and this is likely a new infection.

Don't fret about the numbers too much... you can't change them, but we will be here for you to talk about them with.

You likely will have a very high viral load if you are newly infected and that is expected.. that will likely settle down...

Don't even worry about going on meds if all the above is true.   You will want at least 3 tests before going on meds if they indicate that (which i think unlikely at this time) unless they are extremely low for some reason (which again is extremely unlikely based upon what you have stated)

Keep us posted on your results and we will be able to give you sage advice... but the most important thing is to breathe right now..

It's just a virus.   The meds are highly effective though do have their side effects. 

Just go out for a walk, spend time with friends now and don't fret too much about this.. becuase it's really all beyond your control.  The numbers will be what they are (though I expect them to be good) but even if they aren't, it's likely because you are newly infected and they typically bounce back after initial infection.

I welcome you here to the forums.  isn't the price of admission a bitch to pay?  But you will truly find many people here who have gone thru the same thing... in fact, we all have. 

We understand.

Spill your guts, tell us your fears and we will be there for you.

In love,
Bailey

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:54:42 pm »
Ricky... You have answered all your questions for you..  Yes we are here for you and yes we care...  I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but, life goes on.  Change it as much as you want, but maybe change it for the better.  Make something good out of this situation.  Many here have.  Many here are living life to the fullest.  I think that's what was the original intent anyway...   As you wait on your results, just relax..  Try not and wonder, what comes next.  That will reveal itself as time passes.  You have a long time to put the pieces together.  Might as well build something really kewl out of this.   Stay on the upside of life... Its going to be ok Ricky...

Love

Eric

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:59 pm »
Yep -- no matter how crazy or naive it may sound. Through the thick and the thin (or the sick and the sin). One day at at a time, Ricky. You'll be fine.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:46:18 am »
Yep....

Everyone who has replied to your post is correct.  Like you, I go in Thursday for my first appointment with my ID (Infectious Disease Physician).  I am a bit nervous about my viral load. 

I am aware that the numbers "are what they are".  Bring a notepad, ask lots of questions.  I will be doing the same thing you are doing.

Enjoy your day today!

Corwyn
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:22:49 pm »
Hi Ricky, welcome to the forum.

You've certainly come to the right place to ask questions or just tell us what's on your mind. If you haven't already, please read through the Welcome thread at the top of this forum, where you'll find links to all the other sections of this website, including the Lessons pages. You might want to read the lessons on what your lab results mean before you go to your first appointment.

As Corwyn says, take a notepad with you and a pen too. Write down any questions you have for your doc as you think of them, because it can be easy to forget what you wanted to ask when you're in that office - especially for the first time. Make sure you write the answers down too because they have a way of flying out of your head the moment you  walk out of the office.

But do your best to calm down and relax. You don't need to learn everything all at once - you've got plenty of time.

Keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:30:26 pm »
Hi Ricky,

I'll be thinking of you thursday - first visit, I've been there, we all have.

Sorry you had to join but welcome to this rather posh ::) club!

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:50:23 am »

Hey Ricky...welcome to the forums.  Feel free to ask anything - no matter what.  Someone out there, I guarantee, will have had the same question(s) as you at some point.  No worries.

Best of luck to you and hope to hear more from you

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:14 pm »
Hey Ricky,

Happy to see you found your way here because this place can be very helpful to you, when you need it and are ready.  The first visit to an ID doc can be very scary, but as Bailey said, your numbers are great so you are just going to start getting some base lines of your numbers.

You are new to all of this so just take your time and look around and feel free to ask questions, bitch, moan or whatever, we've heard it all.  You are starting on a journey that will change your life, but it will not change who you are.  After awhile HIV will just become another facet of your life and that will take time, so be kind to yourself, find support where you can and know you will adjust and eventually thrive with HIV.

I know it can be done, I've been doing it for 22 years.

Welcome to the forums.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.