Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:45:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 229
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 11 weeks -ve result, need some real advice..  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Medika

11 weeks -ve result, need some real advice..
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »
Hello everyone..
Im new in this forum but been following it since a couple months ago and been reading lots of great inputs and advices from all the members and moderators here.
So here goes my story (excuse my imperfect english)..
Im an asian male, 33 years old, 5'10 & 185 lbs. Im a smoker and also  been smoking weed for the last two years and actually everyday for the last one year, a joint or two but everyday..Other than that, Im a very active and healthy person. I'd go to the gym 4 times a week and taking protein and vitamin religiously all my life. 
On June 19 2011, I had an unprotected vaginal sex with a woman that lasted about 15 minutes and I ejaculated inside her. Few days after that, a reliable source confirmed me that she is hiv+ which really shocked me. One week after the exposure, I started taking propolis liquid with honey twice a day until today. 

Today its been 11 weeks and 4 days since the exposure. 
My symptoms:
1. 2 weeks after exposure I had a one week morning only diarrhea and had a tiny red painful pimple like lump on my left armpit and one on the pubic area just above my penis shaft (right on the middle), both clears after about 4 days on its own.

2. Since week 5 I've been experiencing tiredness and sleepiness during the day and been getting these tiny red spots that blanch around my ankles, thighs and my arms. I know its common and I've had them many times before, but this time around they are more than usual, comes and goes in a few days. I also got these tiny and very slightly raised rash scattered over my forehead and cheek and some on my neck. You cant really see them at a glance or from a distance but can feel them with my fingers for sure. They're not itch nor red.

3. On and off night sweat. I'd woke up to pee in the middle of the night and my chest and neck are sweating. I sleep with an aircon on and never had this problem before.

4. Sinusitis problem that persist (its been a month)

5. My stomach constantly growls (its been 6 weeks) and its really a new thing to me.

6. I have latent TB and I think it is active now. My eyes are slightly red around each corner and it persist since 5 weeks ago. Its clearly one of TB symptom.

7. Just 3 days ago, I had a swollen lymph node size of a peanut on my left armpit, its red and painfull to the touch. And since 4 days ago both of my groin are sore, I can feel the soreness more when Im walking, never felt this kind of soreness around my groin before (deep lymph nodes swelling probably?)

I know symptoms means nothing, anyway I just lay them out because Im really experiencing them.

I did an Abbot Architect i1000 Ag/Ab combo test after 9 weeks, negative.
Did another same test today (exactly 11 weeks n 4days), result is negative. With the exposure I had and all the symptoms Im having, actually I was prepared to get a positive results today and ready for it.

My questions:
1. With the kind of exposure I had, do you think my 11 weeks n 4 days conclusive?

2. Like I said in the beginning, I've been smoking weed everyday for the past year. However, I stop smoking them 5 weeks after the exposure but more on the cigs smoking. Would this habit affect my seroconversion in any way?

3. I read an article of how Propolis could reduce antigen. If that is the case, would it have any effects on my antibodies production?

4. Do you think having HIV and develop active TB at the same time will lengthen my window period? (Since your body fighting 2 infections at the same time)

5. Since I got swollen armpit lymph node just 3 days ago and my groin started to sore 4 days ago (possibly from deep lymph node swelling), does that possibly  mean my body is started to or in the middle of seroconverting?

6. My date of exposure was June 19. If you count by month, it would be Sept 19 to match the 3 months mark (today is Sept 8, so Im short of 11 days). But if you count by weeks, its been 11 weeks n 4 days, so Im short of 3 days to match the 12 weeks mark. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? 

7. Is it possible after 81 days your body have not produce enough detectable antibodies?

8. I've been reading a lot about many people including doctors considered  8 weeks is conclusive but on the other hand, a lot of people including doctors as well, insist on 12 weeks or 3 months post exposure to be considered conclusive. Should I re-test again in 3 days to meet the 12 weeks mark? Or should I re-test again in 11 days to meet the 13 weeks (3months) mark?

Thanks a lot, God bless you all!

Offline RapidRod

Re: 11 weeks -ve result, need some real advice..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »
Abbot Architect i1000  is a machine not a test. Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:02:16 pm »
The fact that you ejaculated in the woman is irrelevant as far as you are concerned. The risk would be to her as far as that is concerned. Your potsmoking is also totally irrelevant.

Apparently this was your only risk as far as unprotected intercourse. HIV is harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. HIV is not easy to transmit and it is a fragile virus. And this was a single incident. Those are important details in your favor against transmission occuring.

There is absolutely nothing HIV specific about any of the "symptoms" you are reporting in such detail. And for instance the rash associated with ARS does not come and go. If it appears at all it appears for a week or two and then is gone. Leave your lymph nodes alone. Handling them can create a real problem because they are so sensitive.

As far as your other many details I still would consider a negative result at 13 weeks to be sufficient and reliable.

You do need to learn from this experience. Just don't have anymore intercourse either vaginal or anal without condom Those are the only sexual acts which are confirmed to be risks for HIV when done without a condom.
Andy Velez

Offline Medika

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »
RapidRod, the test was CMIA. I had my blood drawn at 4 pm on wednesday and they test it the next day around 12 pm and the results came out in about 30 minutes and I dont know the handling procedures between those time. Any handling factors that would make the blood serum is not good for the test that would make the test inaccurate? I live in Indonesia, sadly human error is quite a common thing in medical here.

Andy, thanks for your kind advice. So do you think I need to get tested again 10 days from now to meet the 13 week?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »
Testing at 12 or 13 weeks are equal. A negative at 12 weeks means you are HIV negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Medika

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:48:43 am »
Since I got swollen armpit lymph node size of peanut and its painful (its been 5 days now) and my groin started to sore around the same time(possibly from deep lymph node swelling), does that possibly  mean my body is started to or in the middle of seroconverting?
Another thing, my skin around my arms, thighs and calves becomes really dry since week 8 after exposure, is this one of early hiv infections signs?
Thanks guys..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:11 am »
Medika,

You tested negative three days shy of the twelve week mark. Your test result is not going to change in three days. You do not have hiv.

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv. You do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Medika

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:12 am »
Hello Ann, thanks for your reply. I also want to add that I have beta thalassemia minor and hpv. Add those to my pot smoking habit (just stop 5 weeks after the exposure) and my heavy cigarettes smoking this past two months, would there be a slight chance that my antibodies has not developed to a detectable level?
I always been a realistic person, all the symptoms are real and most of them Ive never experience them before (especially the stomach growling that persist until today, swollen lymph node on my left armpit and groin soreness)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:18 am »
If you have troublesome symptoms you should discuss them with your doctor. HIV is not the problem so stop self-diagnosing something you don't have. You are HIV negative.

Andy Velez

Offline Medika

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:07:22 am »
Thank you Rod, Andy and Ann for your kind advices and inputs.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 11:26:56 am »
You're welcome. Now get on with your life and make sure to always use condoms when you have either vaginal or anal intercourse. You'll be well protected that way so that you won't have to worry about sexual risks for HIV.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.