Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:17:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 242
Total: 243

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla  (Read 32618 times)

Offline LIZZIE LOU

Atripla
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:51:32 am »
My son has been on Atripla for less than two months.

He is not the same person since he started this med.   Christian has always been extremely ADHD and now all he does is lay in bed.   He has become soooo mean...angry...and short tempered...with daily outbursts of verbal abuse to his wife.   He will not work and can't even tell us why except that he doesn't feel good.

His psychiatrist at the clinic also started him on an antidepressant...but he was exhibiting this behavior before the antidepressant.

I am very worried about him and don't know what to do.   He does not see his ID doc. for another 2 months.  Do these sound like side effects of the atripla or is it something else? 

kim

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Atripla
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:51:39 am »
Kim,

The efavirenz component in Atripla is well implicated in causing psychiatric/head changes in people. Most notably sleep disturbance, a sense of "intoxication" and vivid dreams. Nevertheless severe mood changes are recognised  as a problem too.

These effects (if they are indeed caused by efavirenz) in your son may wear off after a little while. It's important to note that they may not be caused by the medication at all. It's vital that he continues to work with his psychiatrist to determine what is causing these problems.

MtD

Offline cruisin512

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 08:22:38 am »
These kinds of side effects are not unlike mine.  That's why I'm considering changing meds.

Aggression CAN be a side effect of the atripla (sustiva). 

My Doc does not like giving a pill to counteract side effects of another pill.  He suggests changing the med.  There are alternatives out there.

Be sure he talks to his HIV/ID Doc about this severe side effect.

Good luck with this.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:46:33 pm »
Hey Kim,

Efavirenz, (Sustiva), which is a part of Atripla, caused me to suffer from anxiety, depression and, sometimes, angry outbursts.

I gave it two months and then talked to my doc about it and I switched to boosted Reyataz. The anxiety, etc., dissipated.

I have also known someone who, after a year on Sustiva, became physically abusive to others, sometimes dangerously so. When she stopped taking it, those symptoms went away.

I am not diagnosing your son. Quite the contrary. I would urge your son to consult with both his HIV doc and his psychiatrist should these symptoms persist.

I have a rule of thumb: I will give any drug two months. If I still cannot handle the side effects, I see my doc and we look for alternatives - and there are plenty to choose from.

Just an aside, I note you said your son didn't have an appointment with the doc for another two months.

Honey, if this keeps up, bugger the appointment. Call the doc and get your son in as soon as you  can. One thing I have learned over the years is living with HIV doesn't always work well on a schedule.

Let us know how things go.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:49:59 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:21:33 am »
Hi,

Name is Juan and I've been on Atripla for 30 day's I think the very first day I took it I was able to remember my dream as if it were occurring right before my eyes. Other then that no bad dreams or any of the other stuff one gets from taking the stuff.

The only other thing is I am so tired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to force myself to do things, and yes I do have that moment that I feel bad. I don't want to say sick but the feeling is something that like being weak and or nauseated without the throwing up.

Its REALLY a bad feeling and it stays with you for awhile. I like the idea that I only have to take on pill a day so I'm going to stick it out and see if it gets better then this.

Oh almost forgot I do notice that I 'm getting a full feeling in the gut  >:(  I started out taking the Atripla at 10 p.m. but after 2 day's I'd get home from work and I was so tired I couldn't stay up. So I changed the time to 7 or 8 pm just before bed time.

I do feel so tired but I don't sleep much. This is not because of the HIV I've never been one to sleep 8 hours. But the feeling is like I've worked 16 hours and my eye lids just want to shut tight.

I had blood work done last week, and I see my doctor on the 13th I just hope that my numbers are cool. I found out about my HIV in November 2006.

Thanks,
Juan Enrique

Be True to yourself and to others.

Offline Falkore

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:35:17 pm »
Having been on Atripla for the past year I am very grateful that I have experienced few of the dreaded side effects.  As my own posts have attested too, I had only a small issue with the dizziness and nausea.  I had a strange waking dream type thing the first day but none since then.  I do dream on occasion, but they have not been any more vivid or powerful than the dreams I had before.  Atripla was my first (and hopefully only) medication to suppress my HIV.  So far, after one year it has done well.  My compliance has been almost perfect... I only  missed one dose totally and I forgot to take one dose in the night so I took it the first thing the next morning. 

In regards to the side effects, I do feel the nausea more often if I don't get a full nights sleep.  I often help my sister on the weekends with various outdoor activities and since I am a night owl by nature, the only way to beat the heat is to get up early.  There have been a few days when I only got 1-2 hours of sleep after taking the medication and I do feel the dizziness still, and my stomach feels upset for several hours after.  None of the issues have been sever enough for me to concider discontinuing the Atripla.  The one pill a day regimen greatly outweighs any minor side effects I feel. 

I am sorry to hear that so many people are not having as much luck with it, but I know that some are doing quite well.  Molten Storm has posted of his own experiences and my boyfriend (who just tested poz a few months ago) will also be starting Atripla soon.  I wish them (and all who are on it) the best and hope that any side effects dissipate quickly. 
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 10:43:35 pm »
I believe the Sustiva in Atripla COULD be a culprit.  I started Sustiva last June, and I was pretty angry and aggressive at first.  Took about a month or two to smooth out.  He should check with his doctor, because there are other options.

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 10:16:05 am »
Hi,

Well just got back from the Doctor.  2 weeks ago my T-cell count was 177 and my V-load was 62,500

Today my t-cell is 350 and my v-load is 111

So I have to say that the atripla is working. My Doctor said just give it a little more time and I should feel alot better as far as the tired and the little stomach bloting goes.

So I am happy :)
Juan Enrique

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 09:46:36 am »
Hi,
Is anyonr that is taking Atripla having any Very Uncomfortable, and very Irritating pain Maybe not a pain, a thing in the stomach? Its not a stomach ace. And its most of the time.

If so are you taking anything? I don't go back to the Doc until September so I have to wait to talk to the Doctor.

Also the Bloating in the stomach any thing can be done about that?  The gas well I rather fart then have the bloating LOL

Thanks,

juan/orlando fl.
Juan Enrique

Offline atlantabro

• Brand New Day
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 02:42:14 pm »
Lady Atripla and I have been seeing each other for a little over a month and so far so good, except lately, she wears the hell outta me. I feel exhausted by midday and just want to nap. On the weekends, I'll feel tired around 2 and will sleep sometimes until 7 or 8, if not later.  It's totally screwing with my normal sleep schedule. I usually try to be in bed between 11 and 12 during the work week but with falling asleep on the couch as soon as I get home (roughly 7p), I find myself sleepless/restless in the middle of the night. Is this a normal side effect?

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 04:51:45 pm »
Hi,

Yep that part is on KEY! I still do feel tired but not as much as before. You have to make yourself get up and do something!

What I did have alot of before was GAS and I mean I had a lot of it. Its getting a little better.

Now I have the stomach bloating! and a very uncomfortable and a most irritating feeling in the stomach area! Its not a stomach ace but I'll tell you its very uncomfortable!!!!!!

I have my Doctors appt: in September I'm not going to ask to get off the Atripla because in talking to others who have had alot more problems then mine I feel I really have no problems.

I'm thinking that it may be an ulcer? not sure.

I've been on Atripla for about 40 day's now. My Doctor also told me to start taking B 100% complex and Selenium 200 MCG I have to be honset I do feel a hell of a lot better now! and my numbers look damn good! I hope to be undetectable on my next blood work in September.

Its just the bloating gets to me. Do you have any ideas?

juan/orlando fl.
Juan Enrique

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 05:03:06 pm »
Hey atlantabro let me know if you have the pain I'm talking about? we're not that far apart in the taking of Atripla I use to get to bed at 11 or 12 pm and I'm in bed now at 7 or 8 p.m feel like an old man.

It does mess with your sleep I had to get a little help because I only slept 4 to 5 hours before my HIV and when I get home I'd feel like I could sleep 10 hours. But would only sleep 3 or 4  so I'm taking Trazodone 50mg I don't take it every day but It does help when I do need to get some sleep. 10 to 13 hours day's kills me because I feel like I can pass out at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

But again MAKE YOURSELF get up and do things its a very bad feeling but I assure you it will pass and get better!!!!!!!

The very best to all on this nice SUNDAY :)
Juan Enrique

Offline dufusmaximus

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 05:18:58 pm »
I try not to go to bed until 10 or 11, just like Juan, I normally just want to crawl into bed around 8, but I force myself to stay up later.  I also take 100mg of trazadone and sometimes 1-2mg of ativan.

I need to get  serious about exercise, I think that would help regulate my sleep.

Good luck everyone

Offline jerryjudd

new to treatment
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:49:32 pm »
Im taking my first dose of  Atripla tonight. Ive never been on antivirals and Im scared. I need some wisdom about this and support. Anyone have any suggestions to help me with this medicine?

Offline Eyebecinu

• Gaining Strength Day by Day!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:24:34 pm »
Atripla and I are a unique couple. (we have been together nightly for 5 months now and I don't see us breaking up any time soon. :)

I am no different personality wise than I was before taking the medication.  I am tired from time to time and feel bloated occasionally.  But the dreams are a whole other issue for me.  Hell last night I had a dream I was making out with a woman.  I have never been with a woman.  Hell I don't even know any so I don't know what the hell this was about, and or who she was in my dream??? other than it has to be Atripla!!!  The dreams have gotten so surreal and weird it is incredible.  If I am uncomfortable or in distress in my dreams/nightmares I can wake myself up on command.  I can even talk to myself in my dreams (both feel and touch and smell) & make myself aware that I am dreaming now which I didn't have that ability before.  And further, I never had nightmares or night terrors before either and that situation is something I am having to overcome on a different level. 

I have heard stories about changes of behavior and mood swings, although, I cant relate, If my dreams are any indication, I will vouge that it does somehow or someway effect what is going on in ones brain, whether consciously or subconsciously.

I wish your son the best and he should keep seeing his Dr. and apprise him of the situation.  Maybe a change in meds would be beneficial.  Otherwise it is good to know your a good loving parent.  Keep up the good work!

For me, I am staying on Atripla, unless that strange woman comes back for me on more than one occasion in the future.
Apr 07': cd4 20 / vl <750,000 (started ATRIPLA)
May 07': cd4 175/ vl UNDETECTABLE
Aug 07': cd4 190/ vl UNDETECTABLE

Offline cruisin512

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 09:58:17 pm »
My last dose of Atripla (Sustiva/Truvada) was eight days ago.  So far, so good.  I'm feeling less anxious/moody, but I know it will take another week or so for the effects to fade.

One thing I noticed that I didn't notice before was that I felt hot when I was on the Atripla (and not in a good way  ;) ).  My partner said I was like a furnace at night and I seemed to radiate heat.  I used to set my A/C to 75 degrees at night and still felt a little warm.  Now, 76 feels a little cool.  I'm not sure if it was the Atripla or not...any comments?

The Reyatax/Epzicom with Norvir booster has not given me any side effects to speak of so far.  I've been taking it for eight days now.

I did want to say that my partner has been on Sustiva/Truvada for about a year now (and was on Sustiva with something else for a while in the past).  He has been fine with no side effects.  I guess it just depends on the person.

Offline stolibeaux

• Stolibeaux and Me
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 10:55:55 pm »
 :)

Hey guys, I've been following these forums for 4 years now being HIV positive and now starting meds. So I wanted to share my experience with ATRIPLA. Well Atripla was my first HIV med to take after 4 years not needing to be on meds. Started July 16th this year at 10:30 pm and have continued the same since. My dreams are like High Definition, very "vivid", it is harder to sleep, so I take an Ambien 10mg and i sleep like a baby, but with "vivid" dreams.  All week at work, my balance was waaaaaay off for about 3 days. Very dizzy even if I closed my eyes. I found the more I moved around and stayed busy, I was fine. I'm fine now, on occasion I'd get a dizzy spell, but nothing too crazy. I'm going on 2 months now and the dreams are not as frequent, but then again I take Ambien to counter act the insomnia. I also have notice that my stomach pouches out a bit more i.e. bloating maybe. I dunno, doesnt really bother me, and I'm just hyper critical about changes. Could also be that I have stopped smoking cigarettes and now have a COSTCO membership! LOL! All I can say is, it is nice to just have to take 1 pill for your HIV. Like all medicine, regaurdless what it they all have side effects. Some are more noticeable than others. As far as my numbers and off the top of my head: after only 5 weeks I am 100 copies from being undectable to todays standards, my CD4 has gone up, and my co-pay is $25. Atripla works for me!
You never know until you ask.

Offline OMDM

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 11:51:18 pm »
How do you get a $25 co-pay for Atripla?  Costco charges almost $1,300 p/month with Medicare paying $900 and I pay $400.  However, I quickly went through the Medicare donut hole and now only have to pay $65 p/month (5%) for the balance of the year before I start over.

Offline stolibeaux

• Stolibeaux and Me
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:33 am »
I have private insurance with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. I'm a state employee in higher ed. The Costco Membership comment was a joke about how much I eat now. I use CVS pharmacy down from my house because it is closer than Costco and any pharmacy I go to I still have to pay my co-pay, be it mail order through Medco or CVS.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:03:14 am by stolibeaux »
You never know until you ask.

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 09:50:40 pm »
I picked up my first script for Atripla this evening and have been stareing at the bottle for an couple of hours now.  12-14 years without a need for meds stopped today.  Nothing like a full blown anxiety attack over a pill!  The $200 a month this is going to cost me was also a reminder about the state of health care in this country.  I feel fortunate that I have decent insurance and that I can afford this cost.

I logged in to hopefully see some GOOD news about this drug and now I wonder if I will be slapping the coffee shop employees in a month or so.  ;D

Here goes nothing!  :P
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

BobF

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 01:09:51 pm »
Hi.  I started Atripla about 2 months ago with CD4's around 375.   They shot up about 100 since then and the VL is undetectable.   I learned to take it about 2 hours before bed so it didn't keep me from sleeping and have only periodic vivid dreams -- so far so good :)

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 07:46:57 pm »
Thanks Bob, day 1 was an interesting day, especially the morning. 
I appreciate the positive feedback!  Heres to us all! ;D
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 08:44:18 pm »
Oh yeah... the stomach thing.

Everyone recommends taking it on an empty stomach but how long after you eat is best?  I have to take Omeprazole for heartburn and wonder if it's not interacting well.   Like I said on another post.  It's an expensive diet pill for me and the bathroom and I have been close this week.

Anyone had any postive results with increasing fiber content or actually having some food in you when you take it?
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline jabez

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 10:07:23 pm »
Strykern, during my first fifteen days of Atripla, I found myself spending WAY too much time in the bathroom.   I read that there's a "BRAT diet" which is supposed to alleviate the problem.  (Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.)  I started eating 6 ounces of yogurt every morning with breakfast, and a banana every afternoon for a snack.   After a couple of days with the bananas and yogurt, the diarrhea problem went away and hasn't returned.  (Knock on wood!)  I think most Atripla users are spared the Bathroom Woes, but I definitely experienced it!  Fortunately, it was a temporary problem.

The directions on the bottle say take Atripla 2-3 hours AFTER eating.   I usually try to eat supper early, and take Atripla about three hours later.  If I wait four or five hours after eating, it seems to make me a little bit queasy in my stomach the next day.  (I guess my stomach was TOO EMPTY when I took the medicine.) If I wait less than two hours after eating, I sometimes have a brain-dead hangover the next morning.  So the 2-3 hour rule works pretty good for me, and I guess that's why the pharmacy recommends 2-3 hours after eating. 

Jabez   
Sept 2007 -- CD4 = 68; VL = 469,000
Started Atripla Sept 21, 2007
Nov 2007-CD4=217;VL=332
Feb 2008-CD4=237;VL=<50
Apr 2008-CD4=271;VL=66
Aug 2008-CD4=440;VL=52
Jan 2009-CD4=403;VL=61
May 2009-CD4=480;VL=129
Sep 2009-CD4=376;VL<40
Jan 2010-CD4=476;VL<40
Jul 2010-CD4=539;VL<40
Jan 2011-CD4=461;VL=53
Jul 2011-CD4=515;VL<20
Jan 2012-CD4=506;VL=54
Aug 2012-CD4=440;VL=21
Jan 2013-CD4=447;VL=<20
Jul 2013-CD4=406; VL=<20
Feb 2014-CD4=450; VL=<20
Aug 2014-CD4=535; VL=<20
Feb 2015-CD4=535; VL=<20
Aug 2015-CD4=707; VL=<20

Offline Paulette

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 10:00:19 am »
Atripla was my second regimen and i had an allergic reaction to one of the componants in it.  What can i do to find out which one it is, so I never have to go through that crap again.  I broke out in blister's all over and it felt like my face was on fire and my face swelled so bad exspecialy around my eyes it looked like someone had punched me  really hard, but without the bruiseing. it was pretty scary i was only on it for two nights. and i hated it .
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline jerryjudd

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 03:42:47 am »
Vinnie, thanks for the suggestion. i might take you up on that. im still having some crazy dreams at night and sometimes i wake up really tired because of them but much better than they were first two months but wouldnt mind having them at all. so how would i switch from bedtime dosing to morning dosing? take my regular night time dose then start with the new one next morning and then 24 hours later? and do you have chronic loose stools too? ive had them since i converted so i dont know what to think about that...
anyway, your a gem for taking time out to check in on me. hadnt come back to this website because now im less scared and just dealing but im gonna see if i cant work on my "quality of life" now and not just surviving.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 02:51:37 pm »
Hi

I'm thinking taking Atripla as my first med.

Now if the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMEA) as issued a positive opinion on the Marketing Authorisation Application for the fixed-dose triple combination Atripla, its indication is for 'adults with virologic suppression to HIV 1 RNA levels of <50 copies/mL on their current combination antiretroviral therapy for more than three months'.

Accordingly to this recommendation, it appears then that Atripla can't be used as a first regimen. The main reason of concern have been quoted below.

As it is not the case the the US, I was wondering what was your point of view on that (I'm a European).

The option of a one-pill, once-daily combination is popular with patients, especially those who are more recently diagnosed, even though caution needs to be taken concerning the side effect profile of efavirenz.

The EMEA have not commented on why approval of Atripla seems to have been so problematic – it was approved by the FDA in the US in July 2006.

One issue is likely to be the currently conflicting food recommendations for tenofovir. In the US, Atripla is recommended to be taken 'on an empty stomach' and tenofovir is recommended to be taken 'without regard to food'.

In Europe, the food interaction that increases tenofovir levels (AUC by 40% and Cmax by 14%) when taken with a high fat meal (700-1000kcal, including 40-50% fat), led to the recommendation is to take tenofovir with a 'light meal or snack'.

However, this information is actually inconsistent with pharmacokinetic data included in the tenofovir Summary of Product Specifications (SPC), which states that 'a light meal or snack' has no effect on drug levels.

For years the EMEA and Gilead have therefore been supporting conflicting information about dosing.

Meanwhile, the potential importance of increased drug levels from taking tenofovir with a high fat meal for some patients is still unknown.

There are still no comparative data on the virological impact of higher drugs levels when starting treatment, especially in experienced patients, or in those who have higher baseline viral load.

Anecdotally, tenofovir is commonly taken without regard to food, following the US indication. This is less likely to matter in patients who are virologically suppressed.

There is therefore a theoretical basis for the approval of Atripla as a switch option in suppressed patients, whether or not the strict indication is followed in practice.

Someone at the EMEA needs to recognise that 'take with a light meal' and 'administration with a light meal did not have a significant effect on the pharmacokinetics of tenofovir' are incompatible in the same SPC.

Source

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 03:25:39 pm »
I am into month 2 with Atripla and my biggest concern right now is the mental part.  My temper flares easily and for me, that is VERY unusual.  My doc is POZ as well and he had the same issue but wants me to ride it out until he gets me undetectable before changing meds. 

Has anyone seen this side affect and the anxiety decrease as you adjust to this med? 

I about had a scene in a grocery store a few minutes ago! 
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline OMDM

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 12:08:42 am »
Am 66 yo male - infected for 5 years.

I started Atripla on July 19 this past summer.  After 18 days, my CD4 rose from 312 to 371 and 90 days later (early November) it was 559.  My VL was 101,260 in early July, and after 18 days on Atripla it fell to 1,470.  It was 70 in early November after 90 more days.

Minor night problems with Atripla - I take it at 10:00 pm, need to go to bathroom around 2:00 am and find that I'm a little shaky at that time but fine when I get up at 6:00 am.

I'm on Medicare so quickly get into the catastropic level but then my co-pay is only $80 p/month. 

My wife says I am much more relaxed since starting Atripla and she has commented that our sex life appears better as well. Not that it was very bad - only married 2 years.

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 05:55:12 pm »
well....here is my first post....and tonight is gonna be my first night on meds....I am quite nervous....I was just wondering...can I take Atripla any time after the 2-3 hours after eating or does it have to be exactly 2-3 hours.....thanks for any help.
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 07:11:22 pm »
In my experience, (granted only 1 month and a couple of days)  2-3 hours is more than enough.  Good thing about Atripla, you don't have to be exactly on time every time.  Try an hour or so before you usually go to sleep. 
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 07:14:27 pm »
cool deal....thanks for the input...I am pretty nervous about starting tonight for some reason.
Dec 2007 start Atripla

Offline taxi777

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 08:58:53 pm »
I started the sustiva Halloween night! How appropriate. It was horrible because my dreams are usually F'd up overproduced freak shows anyway. It was so bad I kept having to mess with the time I'd take it. My shrink put me on a small amount of paxill 10mg and with immediate success. The dreams we're vivid but only mildly annoying. I went up to 20mg to manage my post trama stress/ and bi polar but, It's so hard to orgasm and I'm such a jack off monkey I couldn't stand it so I'm going back down to 10mg.
Pete

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 10:11:39 pm »
I dont usually go to bed til midnight....so should I wait til 11pm to take the pill....even though I ate @ 6:30 pm....or take it now?

*edited for grammar
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:35:30 am by BreakerOneNine »
Dec 2007 start Atripla

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:15 am »
well...I survived the night....lol....I ate at 6:30pm and took the pill a little before 11pm...I had some really crazy dreams and did a lot of sweating, thats about it....hopefully the side effects will stay to a minimum.
Dec 2007 start Atripla

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 11:00:04 pm »
Glad you made it through the night!   People had me a bit freaked about the vivid dreams but quite frankly... I kinda dig em! 
Go easy the next few days.

I get my 30 days on Atripla results either tomorrow or Thursday.  Fingers crossed and all that!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 08:33:57 am »
Fingers crossed for sure....good luck!...I made it through my second night and am digging the dreams myself....Is it just too early for the side effects to be kicking in or am I just lucky so far?
Dec 2007 start Atripla

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 05:29:31 pm »
My recent experience was side affects were starting to be noticeable as feeling odd.  My biggest early complaint was that I felt like I lost a few IQ points for a few days, than the metal in my head moved to my mouth.  Totally lost my appetite (which again for me was not a terrible thing) but on day 14 I woke up and actually felt good. 

Still getting through some of the "lower GI" issues but the BRAT diet the forums talk about really helps. 

Hang in there!  It's supposed to be worth it and I hope to find that out shortly!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 06:15:34 pm »
Right now... ATRIPLA ROCKS! 

Got my results - VL at 80 from 209000,   CD4 at 413 up from 258  :)

One happy camper in Dallas today. 
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline jabez

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 08:03:26 pm »
Great news, strykern!!  I bet those "gastro" issues seemed less severe, once you got your CD4 results.  I sat in my doctor's office complaining about the effect of Atripla on my intestines, but when she called me a couple of days later with my lab results I was like, "Okay, forget what I said about diarrhea, it doesn't matter", lol.  Seriously, a cup of yogurt, a banana, and a few peanuts every day put a stop to all of my gastrointestinal issues.   
Nov 2007-CD4=217;VL=332
Feb 2008-CD4=237;VL=<50
Apr 2008-CD4=271;VL=66
Aug 2008-CD4=440;VL=52
Jan 2009-CD4=403;VL=61
May 2009-CD4=480;VL=129
Sep 2009-CD4=376;VL<40
Jan 2010-CD4=476;VL<40
Jul 2010-CD4=539;VL<40
Jan 2011-CD4=461;VL=53
Jul 2011-CD4=515;VL<20
Jan 2012-CD4=506;VL=54
Aug 2012-CD4=440;VL=21
Jan 2013-CD4=447;VL=<20
Jul 2013-CD4=406; VL=<20
Feb 2014-CD4=450; VL=<20
Aug 2014-CD4=535; VL=<20
Feb 2015-CD4=535; VL=<20
Aug 2015-CD4=707; VL=<20

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 09:29:37 pm »
You nailed it Jabez!  I will spend as much time in the bathroom as required for these numbers or for numbers like yours! 
Starting to figure out what to eat, and most importantly, what not to! 

Yogurt, peanuts and peanuts huh?   Hmmm...  I think I am almost doing that if peanut butter works.  Oatmeal for breakfast seems to help too.

I would have never thought I would be writing about bathroom issues.  What a trip!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline jabez

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 10:23:08 pm »
Yeah, I'm sorta embarrassed when I discuss my frequent trips to the bathroom, BUT since we're discussing it anyway .... I took my first Atripla pill on Thursday, September 21st.  I was fine Friday and Saturday, with no side effects at all, except a little bit of a "hangover" in the mornings.  But on Sunday, the third day, the floodgates opened, and I made about five trips to the bathroom that Sunday afternoon and evening.  It wasn't exactly like diarrhea, it was more like "loose stool" -- (I hate that expression).  It lasted EVERY DAY for about three weeks.   I became very frustrated.  I prayed for a good old-fashioned solid stool.  During the third week, my secretary gave me a big jar of peanuts for a Boss's Day gift.  I noticed that after snacking on peanuts for a couple of days, with yogurt for breakfast and a banana snack in the afternoon, my stomach started to settle.  During the fourth week, I celebrated a solid stool FINALLY.  I felt like calling the newspaper and the TV networks when it finally happened.  I've stuck with that diet for a couple of months now, and it really does seem to work.  There are still days occasionally when I'm plagued with a temporary return of the gastro problem, but it's usually after I skipped the nuts, the banana, or the yogurt for a day or two.  Good luck, dude, and I hope you find the combination that makes your problem disappear!   (I think oatmeal and peanut butter are good choices, too.)  We have so much to be thankful for -- only one pill a day, a drastically decreasing viral load, a rising CD4 count, and the side effects are really pretty minimal when you consider all the advantages of this medicine.   
Nov 2007-CD4=217;VL=332
Feb 2008-CD4=237;VL=<50
Apr 2008-CD4=271;VL=66
Aug 2008-CD4=440;VL=52
Jan 2009-CD4=403;VL=61
May 2009-CD4=480;VL=129
Sep 2009-CD4=376;VL<40
Jan 2010-CD4=476;VL<40
Jul 2010-CD4=539;VL<40
Jan 2011-CD4=461;VL=53
Jul 2011-CD4=515;VL<20
Jan 2012-CD4=506;VL=54
Aug 2012-CD4=440;VL=21
Jan 2013-CD4=447;VL=<20
Jul 2013-CD4=406; VL=<20
Feb 2014-CD4=450; VL=<20
Aug 2014-CD4=535; VL=<20
Feb 2015-CD4=535; VL=<20
Aug 2015-CD4=707; VL=<20

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 10:29:24 pm »
Scary... I could have written what you just wrote!  LOL...

Nothing like "loose stool" conversations!  Ick...  I am waiting for that solid day but you know... after today, it doesn't bother me so much.
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline HedOvaHeals

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 05:40:48 pm »
i am 20 and just started taking it 5 days ago and so far im sooooo tired no energy and feeling depressed and short tempered. nauseas but hungy its weird i hope it goes away i was diagnosed at 18 and just started takign meds i hate it cuz im so tired and i cant get out of bed have to force myself . im a very active person so im worried . and the nightmares i have are crazy. first night i took it i had a dream with cher lol it was weird. butinterestign felt soooo real like i was there. but after that its nightmares. so im looking up a lot of info on this med and my health to help it. any advice would be great thnx.

Offline ashton

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:11 pm »
The side effects will get better within a few weeks... I just went through it.  Don't despair and don't quit!

Offline mplsdoubled

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 08:26:56 am »
I've been on Atripla for 17 days.  It's my first med since testing positive in early September.  So far; so good.  The only "side effect" I noticed was minor red blotches (very small and hardly noticeable) on my hands and lower arms after a week.  Those went away within a few days and that's it.

I do feel more "down" than normal but not sure if that's the Atripla or just life - January, post-holiday's, cold in Minnesota and trying to date again.  I work out almost every day and that definitely lifts my spirits.

I've had no other noticeable side effects.  I don't even feel buzzed after taking it at night anymore.  I'm hopefull that I'm "out of the woods" where side effects are concerned. 

I'll get new labs in about two weeks and will keep you all posted.

Offline knittygritty

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 09:58:55 pm »
I have been on Atripla for almost a year now.  I always take mine either one hour before or 2 hours after I eat my evening meal. I find that if I eat too soon before or after taking it I feel very very ill.
 I still get gas from it and all you newbie Atripla users a prewarning you will probably get what I call my "med-belly" like a beer belly. I don't know if everyone gets it, but I do know a lot of people get it.
 When I was first taking it it was in hospital and I would have crazy dreams. I was also on a lot I mean a lot of antibiodics so I had a lot of problems having regular stools. (Don't you love being able to talk about your stools on a public forum - LOL!) But all the side effects cleared up in a few weeks.
 I have always suffered from depression so I can't confirm or deny if the Atripla has anything to do with that.
 I am tired a lot too but I'm also anemic.
  My CD4 count is rising I was at 155 last lab time, I should be getting my new results very soon.
Don't give up on the pill too quick though. 
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.  - Grandpa Simpson
  I knit, therefore I am  -  Me

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 10:29:28 pm »
I am almost 3 months into Atripla and am doing very well.  I had a few weeks of temper issues that has subsided.  There are still "bathroom" issues but I am starting to figure our ways to manage that with diet and it's getting better.  Although, a high fat dinner or ice cream before my nightly pill will TEAR ME UP the next morning! 

Went for my blood work today and should now how the numbers are in a week or so.

Fingers (and toes & eyes) crossed!!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline cruisin512

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 09:07:48 pm »
Hey Folks-

I've been reading all your stories about the Atripla.

I switched from Atripla to Reyataz (with Norvir booster) and Epzicom in August.  The Atripla was really messing with my head, and in retrospect...after thinking about it...the lower GI stuff too.  I had generalized anxiety and occasional angry outbursts.  Sleep was a problem also.  I would get to sleep, but wake up around 2 AM not able to return to sleep because of anxiety.

Almost all of that is gone.  Just got my second check of numbers since switching:  VL 55 and CD4s now up to 650, 27%.  These numbers are a continuation of what the Atripla started for me.  Before I went on meds, my VL was 512K, CD4s were 225, 14%.

I still have intermittent sleep issues, not as often as before, but the generalized anxiety is gone.  I've been taking OTC sleep aids, but I think I'll talk to my doc about Ambien CR.  In the GI department...let's just say things are solid.

My cholesterol and triglycerides are slightly elevated, but nothing alarming.  The only pain is the norvir having to be refrigerated (or kept at a temp below 77 for no more than 30 days).  Come on...I live in central Texas!  That will be a pain when June rolls around...

All in all, I'm so glad I changed meds.  So far, so good.

Offline vivyt

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 11:42:25 pm »
I have been on Atripla since May 2007 shortly after my diagnoses. My original CD4 count was 15. I think my viral load was close to 500. I am not sure about the number but I remember that it was not that high. The doctor just wanted me on meds ASAP. My last blood test about a month ago...CD4 200 and an undetect. viral load. I had the crazy dreams and weird feelings in the beginning. My sleep patterns are definitely different. I do have a question about bowel movements. OK, I am trying to be "polite". :) Has anyone noticed a change?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.