Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 369
Total: 371

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Safe Sex Serosorting scientific data censored in USA!  (Read 41789 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Safe Sex Serosorting scientific data censored in USA!
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 08:01:19 am »
Individuals like this feed entirely on noteriety.  I think the best thing that we all could do to stop the insane, ignorant, unscientific and deranged postings of this individual is to ignore him.  Let's all stop feeding him and allow him to crawl back into his cave.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 09:46:43 am »
Mike, you're right, we're never going to change Sandor's mind. He's a dangerous individual and it's not surprising he's been banned from most of the internet. Don't be shocked if we follow suit.

However, I'm providing the information below for others reading this thread. You know, people who actually read and comprehend what they're reading.

Free, Socrates might have imbibed the hemlock (he wasn't given much choice) but those who listen to you drink the kool-aide. Here's some of that cited evidence you wanted:

[Dr Duncan Maceller/CDC] The lack of awareness of HIV serostatus has considerable impact among MSM. Several studies suggest that the ongoing HIV epidemic among MSM, is largely attributed to MSM who are unaware of their infection and who unknowingly transmit HIV to their sex and needle-sharing partners.

Although most MSM report testing at least once in their lifetime, many younger minority MSM test less frequently. In fact, one study of 5,600 young MSM, over half reported they only tested twice in their lifetime. As a consequence, many HIV infected MSM are unaware of their infection.

In one study of 1,700 MSM, 18 years of age and older, 25% tested positive. Among those who tested positive, 48% or nearly half were unaware of their infection. This is particularly a problem among minority and younger MSM. For example, in the same study, 79% of the HIV infected MSM who are between the ages of 18 and 24 were unaware of their infection. 67% of the infected black MSM were unaware of their infection. In 48% of the HIV infected, Hispanic MSM were unaware of their infection.

To avoid infection, many MSM who believe them selves to be uninfected, engage in HIV negative serosorting. By that, I mean they choose partners who them selves are thought to be uninfected or they choose to engage in unprotected sex with only those partners who are thought to be uninfected. Several recent studies however suggest that MSM who engage in HIV negative serosorting as their only means of prevention may be at high-risk for infection.

For example, one study evaluated 1,700 MSM who reported testing HIV negative at their last test.
63% of these men disclosed to their new sex partners that they were HIV negative and many of these men also reported that they engage in unprotected sex because they perceive themselves or their partners to be Uninfected or at low risk for infection. However, of the 1,000 MSM who disclosed being HIV negative, 7% actually were infected with HIV and were unaware of their infection and this varied considerably by race.

24% of the black MSM who disclosed being HIV negative to the new sex partners were HIV infected and unaware of it. Among those who were HIV infected and unaware, 41% disclosed a test result that was based on a test that was conducted over a year ago. So, clearly,
MSM who engage in unprotected sex with men who disclose being HIV negative, may be at high risk for HIV because of the high prevalence of undiagnosed infection among MSM who have previously tested HIV negative and because some MSM who engage in HIV negative serosorting may rely on an old test result.

So, MSM should be cautious to avoid infection from a new sex partner and not rely on the fact that some new sex partners disclose that they are HIV negative and they should use condoms consistently with all partners unless they're in a mutual monogamous relationship in which both partners tested HIV negative three months since their last HIV exposure.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/podcasts/media/pdf/HIV_02_051707.pdf

format changes (paragraphs) and emphasis were made by me for the sake of clarity)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39:17 pm »
Robert -- since both your websites are for-profit and have ads on them, I've removed all the links to them from your postings.  Please don't mention or link to them again, or you will be banned.

The Terms of Membership in these forums state:

"Messages posted to the AIDSmeds.com Forums must not contain marketing information, either from a pharmaceutical company; a healthcare provider (i.e., seeking to provide services to the HIV community); or the manufacturer or distributor of a complementary, alternative, herbal, traditional, and/or surgical treatment approach."

The reason for this is that this website exists only so long as we can sell advertising here.  Therefore, we can't allow pro-bono advertising which we haven't pre-approved.  If you want to advertise on AIDSmeds or POZ, you can contact our sales department. 

Also, you posted some articles more than once in our forums -- that's considered spamming.  If you post any articles more than once again, you will be banned.

Finally, do not attempt to pick a fight with me in these forums about these warnings.  You can send me an email at forums@aidsmeds.com to complain if you wish.  As a rule, the moderators are not permitted to spend their time defending their warnings publicly.  We have found that the only way we can efficiently moderate these forums is to have our warnings complied with immediately.  If we allowed everyone to publicly challenge our warnings, the warnings would lose all their effectiveness, and the forums would quickly become a mess.  Trust me, this rule is applied to everyone here, not just you.

Publicly challenging our warnings will result in an immediate banning from these forums.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:46:14 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline A Free Thinker

• Standard
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:52 pm »
Hello Peter;

Glad to hear from you.

Safe Sex Serosorting = Having safe sex (condoms) with those of the same HIV status.

So, Peter, WHY do you HATE condom usage and regular HIV testing?

The reason why HIV is STILL here today is because of: NEGLIGENCE, CENSORSHIP, DISCRIMINATION and ACCOUNTING FRAUD - and you and your website excel in all. I have copied your remarks (remarks you made public) which should have been made private. Therefore, I will post your reply at will on my two websites, and any email I deem appropriate to whomever I please. When I send out the email (First to my media contacts) I will include a copy for your records. Fair is only fair.

MY advice to YOU Peter is to FOLLOW your own WARNING! Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

If you have any questions or comments, have your lawyers contact me and in the future - THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

Best Regards;
Robert Brandon Sandor
FOUNDER
Serosorting as an HIV Prevention and Harm Reduction Strategy
Brandon's POZ Party - NYC
www.[blocked URL]
www.[blocked URL]

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:54:14 pm by A Free Thinker »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:16 pm »
This jerk has been banned for ignoring my warnings (he attempted to plug his for-profit websites again), and for threatening us with legal action (I think -- he's almost impossible to understand).

Peter

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 05:58:21 pm »
I had the desire to say something about my discomfort at what I was reading with his posts but prior to this I felt it was likely better not to say anything at all.

I felt that if I had said anything I'd likely have been verbally pummeled.

Now I can just hope that I am not.

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »
Peter,
I'm glad you had to ban Sandor from posting since he insisted on defying the warnings. While I welcome opposing, provocative views being expressed [good debate and discourse are exciting], his actions/motive were suspect IMHO and pure but dangerous folly. Thanks -YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 08:40:25 pm »
For the record;

Sandor has claimed that I - and now Peter Staley - "HATE condom usage and regular HIV testing" and he has also applied this in blanket statements to all people who work in the field of prevention.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Peruse the "Am I Infected?" forum and you'll see how the prevention land lies at AIDSmeds.com. We constantly push condom use - have you ever noticed I have three condom and lube links in my signature line? (If not... get reading!)

We recommend yearly hiv testing (twice yearly is better) for any and ALL sexually active adults. We also recommend testing after any incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. With ANYONE. ANYONE! We don't take stock in so-called "risk groups", because the only real risk group consists of people who have unprotected intercourse. Let's face it, that's a high percentage of the world's population.

(I'm leaving out the risk group of people who share injecting equipment because we're talking about sexual serosorting.)

Serosorting doesn't really matter if you're using condoms. At this point, you'll often see the line "condoms break" trotted out. Well, when condoms are used correctly, they very, very rarely break. Correct condom usage extends beyond making sure there's no air-bubble in the reservoir tip; it also includes ensuring there is plenty of lubrication, the correct storage of condoms and making sure the damned things are IN DATE. Latex degrades when not stored properly or kept in a drawer beyond its use-by date. These details are important and when attended to, guard you against condom failure.

Sandor fails to take human nature into account. For many, the term serosorting is synonymous with "let's fuck without a condom". When people believe they're both hiv negative, why are they going to use condoms in the heat of the sexual moment? Condom use is a mine-field of emotional, social and physical barriers. It's just not a simple thing to expect people to do consistently. Who actually likes condoms? I know I don't. (but that doesn't mean I don't use them with someone I know to be hiv negative.) I've heard of a lot of fetishes, but never a condom fetish. (anybody out there?)

To my mind, (and you're welcome to post a disagreement) Sandor's failing is in his emphasis on serosorting. Serosorting DOES have its place in hiv prevention. That place is amongst those of us who have hiv and KNOW we have hiv.

Serosorting amongst hiv negative people doesn't work for the reasons cited in the CDC podcast I linked to and quoted in my last post in this thread. I won't bore you with a repetition.

Sandor would win a lot more hearts and minds if he were to put his energies into things like helping people negotiate condom use, helping people use condoms correctly, or pushing for the development of microbicides and/or (the holy hiv-grail of) a vaccine. But no, he chooses to put his energy into serosorting for the hiv negative, something that is doomed to increase the rates of hiv infection. Because human nature is what it is.

Serosorting is the red herring of hiv prevention.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 08:56:29 pm »
.. and hence why Mr. Sandor wasn't permitted to hold his "symosiums" at NYC LGBT community center, among other places.  I lovely "google" experience with his name will show everyone here what the "tea" is with this man.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:31 pm »
Thank you Ann. You covered the body of my discomfort.

Whoa, that sounded strange.

I'll try again.
Ummm you said in a better way what I was uncomfortable with on the subject.

<heavy sigh>  My brain....

Offline loop78

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:17 pm »
HIV + serosorting: a pozzie having sex with another pozzie

HIV - serosorting: someone who thinks is negative having sex with someone else who also thinks is negative

I think this puts things into perspective ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.