Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:28:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 344
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Am I Alone?  (Read 7264 times)

Offline JaviHappy

Am I Alone?
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »
Figured my topic would get more responses here. Read the archives and couldn't find anything on this. I know meds are very expensive. I know I won't ever be able able to afford them. I'm in California. I'm not documented. Practically been here my whole life. Is there any chance any of the many programs available would help a person like me? Are these programs only available to legal residents/citizens? I've yet to call any for the fear of having the phone slammed on me.

My health hasn't been the best lately. And 'm guessing its my immune system's way of saying It needs help. I believe I was infected in 2010. I tested positive in one of those anonymous testing places just recently. In 2010 I had a broken condom during insertive sex with a male. I have been bisexual for many years. Haven't had that many partners. I'm 100% sure I can pinpoint my seroconversion to August of 2010. I had a brief flu that included a rash, headaches, terrible sore throat, and general malaise. Broken condom and my brief sickness. Haven't had anything but safe sex ever since.

I work odd jobs. There's no way I'd ever be able to afford any meds. Sometimes I feel like I have just to ride it out till I die. I have a son. I want to see him grow up. I want to do what's necessary to take control of my health. I also can't go back to my country of origin. The only family I have is here. My son is here.  My legal situation in this country makes my mental health even worse. Can you guys point me in the right direction? Sorry for the mini essay. Just needed to say it aloud. I have nobody to talk to. No support system whatsoever. Been dealing with this alone.

Offline Tonny2

Re: Am I Alone?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »
 8)Hi javihappy, welcome, I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm sure someone here will know something that might help you. It 's good that you are practicing safe sex, welcome again. you will be fine. ok

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »
Hi Javi . I encourage you to make an appointment at an ASO and ask to see a social worker to discuss your financial situation and the fact that you are lacking the proper documents to get what you need . I'm thinking you can get help with your medications but haven't been able to find out with the quick search I did . A social worker most likely will be able to guide you .

Also ... I'm moving this thread to the Insurance and Benefits forum . Perhaps if you send a pm to JR Gabbard the moderator he can advise you about what your rights are on this matter .
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:26:59 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline JaviHappy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:05:49 pm »
Hi Javi . I encourage you to make an appointment at an ASO and ask to see a social worker to discuss your financial situation and the fact that you are lacking the proper documents to get what you need . I'm thinking you can get help with your medications but haven't been able to find out with the quick search I did . A social worker most likely will be able to guide you .

Also ... I'm moving this thread to the Insurance and Benefits forum . Perhaps if you send a pm to JR Gabbard the moderator he can advise you about what your rights are on this matter .
Thanks. Sorry for putting this topic in the wrong place.

Offline JaviHappy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:08:53 pm »
8)Hi javihappy, welcome, I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm sure someone here will know something that might help you. It 's good that you are practicing safe sex, welcome again. you will be fine. ok
Thanks. I only added the safe sex thing because it would mean the only time I had a risky encounter was in 2010. Didn't mean I've only started having safe sex since I found out. I should also say safer sex. Again, thank you for the welcome.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »
welcome javi!
while i won't be of much help on your situation, i know you will find the answers to get you past the feeling of being alone.
the support here has meant the world to me.
hang in and don't be shy in asking whatever questions you may have. :)
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline JaviHappy

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 01:35:38 am »
welcome javi!
while i won't be of much help on your situation, i know you will find the answers to get you past the feeling of being alone.
the support here has meant the world to me.
hang in and don't be shy in asking whatever questions you may have. :)
m.
Thanks for the welcome. Definitely won't be shy.

Offline JaviHappy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 06:05:03 am »
Hello. Can anyone help me with one last question? I have yet to call an ASO. Been doing so much reading. Let's say I am able to get some help from ADAP,  then later try to get a green card, will I be considered a burden? Is ADAP considered a public benefit?  I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but all this is so hard. I'm just trying to gather as Mich information as I can.
Thanks.

Offline mikejh

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:35:18 pm »
Hi, when you apply for a Green Card you need to do a medical inclusive HIV test.
Here in New York there are a lot of undocumented that get their medications free, I don't think it's ADAP that pay. It's also a organization that calls gay mens health crisis that have lawyer that can help with applications.
CD4   %
22 Sep 06   37     5  Started Atripla
5   Oct 06   82     9
1   Dec 06  258   13
25 Jan  07  263   14
1   May 07  403   18
6   Aug 07  438   22
7   Nov 07  417   19
30 jan   08  310   19
7   May  08  285   20
6   Aug  08  472   27
12  Nov 08  444   26
11  Feb  09 335    19
10  May  09  460  25
Jan 10 575 u/d
Feb 11 590 u/d
June 12 625 u/d
2013 646  u/d
2014 580 u/d
2015 590 u/d
2016 635 u/d
2017 620 u/d change to Genuvia
Jan 2018 580 u/d changed Triumeq
Feb 2019 620 u/d
March 2019 change

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:03:44 pm »
Hi,  I work at an ASO and have some undocumented clients.  They  receive their meds at no cost, through ADAP, or through the state high risk insurance, which will be transitioning to ADAP once the new healthcare law goes through. 

I do have a couple clients who became citizens after testing positive.  They both used lawyers in the Chicago area.  We really don't do immigration work at our ASO, other than getting people into care who are not documented, which we have quite a few of.

My client who has ADAP for her Atripla is getting medical care at a local low cost clinic.  In order for her to get ADAP I had to get a letter notarized that stated her address and income, since a person usually has to prove these to get ADAP.  At least in Indiana. By the way, we've had clients who have had a citizen claim them on a tax form, to prove address and income.  All the citizen has had to do is print out a tax form and fill it out; then I copy it and send it in.  Don't know if this is an option where you are, but it could be.  Also, clients have used utility bills to prove residency.

I agree, call an ASO asap.  They will be able to help you if they are worth their weight. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.