Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:41:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dermatologist Exam....  (Read 9645 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Dermatologist Exam....
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:08:51 pm »
Well, Tomorrow afternoon I have an appointment with the dermatologist to check on a few mystery spots.

I've never had this done before and I'm feeling a little uncomfortable right now because I'm pretty sure that I am going to have to strip to nothing and let this stranger inspect all my ugliness....I don't even take my shirt off outdoors any more.

The spots are on arms and legs.....maybe I can manipulate my clothes to expose those areas and not have to disrobe.  :-[
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Dermatologist Exam....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:43:27 am »
Hope is all fine
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:24:41 am »
Hello Ron,

As someone who's spent the past 28 years in various Dermatologists offices, Let me me assure you how professional these doctors are.

He is there to do an evaluation and determination of these spots that are on you, and nothing more.  I would find it very hard to believe there is anything ugly about you.

In 2003 I went to the dermatologist for one of my bi-annual exams. You can imagine my anxiety, walking in there 35 pounds lighter than the last visit, and looking like a skeleton.

Point being, I didn't care how I looked, I was there for an exam, to look for any kind of skin cancers at the time.  I was always treated with respect and dignity,  and I am sure you will be treated the same. Ed goes to my dermatologist too.

He will probably ask you to take off your shirt, if he is going to do a full exam.

You may want to wear a pair of shorts. I don't know where you live, but maybe it's too cool for that.

This shouldn't last more than a couple of minutes.  If there is something that he/she needs to remove or biopsy, he will let you know. The main thing is to let him do this exam.

Try not to feel uncomfortable,  Let him/her know about any marks on your body, that you have concerns about. If you do get a little anxious, focus on something ahead of you on the wall.

And just relax...

Good luck--Let us know how it goes----Ray

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:20:59 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rondrond

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:57:47 am »
Thanks...I am now impatiently waiting for 330pm. ......I loathe afternoon appointments as it gives me too much time to think of ways to get out of it....

I can probably deal with a shirt removal...three or four minutes sounds even better..

monkey reaching for the moon...

it's just..
ticktockticktock..

I'm waiting
and watching
and watching
and waiting....

the clocks moving slow
it's just hanging on the wall

it it doesn't move ahead soon
it's going to make me give a call...

cause I'm watching
and waiting
and waiting
and watching...

ticktockticktock...

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:43:59 am »
Hey Ron,

How did the exam go?

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rondrond

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:26:35 am »

hay...
(I do not miss throwing bales of hay for the horses.)

The only new thing I came away with from my dermatology exam itself was an appointment in December for the biopsies.

Other items of interest were:

*stepping on the scales showing I had lost 38 lbs. In disbelief, I insisted on finding another set of scales to verify and...sure enough...I have lost 38 lbs. ...60 more to go...

*maybe I am not as ugly as I see in the mirror...when Pham, the  Asian assistant, entered the room and I stood up, he couldn't stop remarking how 'fit' I was and  "which football team did I play on?"

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:11:56 pm »
Good luck with your results & did you get Pham's number?  ::)
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:50 am »
Good luck with your results & did you get Pham's number?  ::)

oh, I got his number:

...twink who likes daddy bear types....

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:50 pm »
I did the dermatology thing, since years ago I was a tanning bed addict four to five times per week and spent some time in the sun.  too much time.  one dermatologist said I needed something gone, but since I have relocated to Texas, I have not received medical care.  I feel that this Texas thing is going to be short-lived.

http://timehasshownme.blogspot.com
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline rondrond

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:11 pm »

pink is beautiful...

I did the tanning bed thing for one month....I don't know what color I was, but it warn't tan...I looked awful...It made me look sick and blotchy and...yuck

My misspent youth was usually on a beach or lying out at the pool or at the lake..my sister, Katie, and I,  would get so dark that my 'conservative' aunts would exclaim in their southern drawls.."ohh my, y'alll have just ruuined your skin"

BTW: welcome to the forums james,

I have never stopped in Amarillo, just passed through but I've heard it's a nice place. Hope you get hooked to a doctor soon.

Ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Theyer

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 07:12:39 am »
Hi Ron,

I am glad they seem relaxed about the biopsies , December is no rush, all in all it seems that it was a day that held a lot of surprises.

Where is the photograph off the Hay taken?

I am going through a period off yearning for the country ,Having a few days in a fortnight in Suffolk.

So keep working that Garden and next spring enjoy----remember a body developed by work always has a few extra points than one in the gym ---in my view.

best off everything to you
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »

Where is the photograph off the Hay taken?

I am going through a period off yearning for the country ,Having a few days in a fortnight in Suffolk.

mhtv

On the plains of Texas, exactly 28 minutes northwest of Fort Worth,and marked by a blue pin:

http://<iframe style="height: 270px; width: 450px;" src="http://www.mapquest.com/embed?hk=tmXO90" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

...there is a small ranch in Springtown,  once owned by Mom and JW , which she sold when
 he died.

He named it after Mom .."Passing Wind"  ....not because out west they have a name for wind and rain and fire...but because every time she bent over.. ::)

We would have to drive out every weekend to feed the horses, who met us at the gate, and strangely horses act just like a dog when you come home from work, ..

running circles around you real fast, they would race us to the trailer. JW sagely warned against feeding them at the gate, or we would never make it to the trailer as they would expect to be fed at the gate. ...

..and they could be pretty aggressive...

Then we would drive around the property, throwing bales (not the rolls in the picture, which I got from the internet) of hay around...

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:11:43 pm by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Theyer

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »
I guess the bales off hay you are taking about are the 3 foot rectangle ones. A very powerful trigger to my childhood.

The large round stacks are now all to often wrapped in black plastic making the field look like a giant rabbit has ran through it.

Horse,s and dog,s are both intolerable if they think there the boss, I have never had a horse off my own, but did care for one for a couple off years as the person he was bought for was scared off him.He had had about five owners and so learnt quite wisely not to settle. We got on, strangely even better after he throe me on to macadam, I crawled back on him ankle swelling vision blurry and got us home, I did not punish him but made sure he realised I was not going to back down, any way we where a good 5 miles from the stable it was the fastest way to get home.
m

Offline rondrond

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:52:48 am »

Tasha...

I've never been thrown, but I've been on some ornery critters that were determined to go their own way, consequences be damned... :D

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Theyer

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:25 pm »
striking photograph, did you take it Ronnie?

Offline rondrond

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:51 pm »
striking photograph, did you take it Ronnie?

I wish..

..no, I only have an Olympus camedia, which, I have never learned how to use all it's functions beyond point, shoot, and download... :D

Mom is the photographer in our family with about different cameras with alien looking attachments...

..baby sister Terry, is the artist of the family...

I can clean, garden, and cook.. :-\

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.