Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:28:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ellen Degeneres  (Read 22696 times)

Offline DancerBoy

Ellen Degeneres
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:21:35 pm »
 If you haven't seen it watch the Ellen video on the yahoo homepage and then sign the petition. It only takes a second!

http://www.petitiononline.com/FreeIggy/petition.html

What she said about the situation:
People say to me a lot how do you do this show if you’re in a bad mood? How do you do your show if you’re sad or, don’t you have bad days? I’m a human being and I have bad days and I have sad days. But when I walk out here and you all cheer and when you’re here to dance, you’re here to laugh and I know I make people happy. It changes my mood. I come out here and I can do anything because of the energy I get.

But today is a hard day for me. Today is bad. I am not capable of coming out and pretending to be funny and on when things are going so terribly wrong right now.

I’m so sorry; I’m just not able to pretend. So I’m going to tell you the story. I’m going to get over it and we’re going to have a good show and we have a great show. So it’s going to be funny and it’s going to be everything that you turn the show on for.

Here’s what happened. I love animals. I love animals. I rescue them and I’ve adopted so many animals and found so many animals homes over the years. On September 20, I adopted a dog from a rescue organization here in the area. I got it neutered, I got it trained and I paid my vet extra money to take it home to sleep in the bed with him at night instead of a cage. I spent $3000 on this puppy to acclimate it, to train it to be with our cats. It was just too much energy and too rambunctious.

My hairdresser who I see every single day, she and her husband have two little girls, eleven and twelve-years-old. They were just looking for a puppy. They have a dog. They said, “We love Iggy can we have Iggy?”

Iggy has been with them for two weeks. I get updates every single day and pictures every day of how happy Iggy is and how much their daughters love Iggy. The organization contacted me yesterday and said, “How’s Iggy?” And I told them the truth. I didn’t lie. I said, “Iggy has a great home.”

Well, I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can’t keep Iggy, it goes back to the rescue organization. Which is not someone’s home, which is not a family. These two little girls had bonded to the dog. I thought I did a good thing. I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn’t keep it. I was trying to do a good thing.

Because I did it wrong, those people went and took that dog out of their home, and took it away from those kids. (Wells up with tears). I feel totally responsible for it and I’m so sorry (sobbing) I’m begging them to give that dog back to that family. I just want the family to have their dog. It’s not their fault. It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls.

I’m sorry I didn’t call you. I’m sorry I did the wrong thing. Just give it back to the family. Please please please.

That’s the story and that’s why I’m feeling like I am responsible for trying to do something and I did it without reading all the things I should have read. So I’m sorry.

(Changing the mood, takes a breath) What a great show we have for you today.
Boys are Stupid

Dan J.

Re: Ellen Degeneres
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:38:28 pm »
I signed it. That rescue org. needs to give that little dog back to those heart broken children.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:51:30 pm »
I would think that the point of any pet adoption organization would be to get pets to a good home.  I'm sure they've had issues in the past where pets have been given away to bad homes, and thus rules like the one in question.  However, they must be a bit clueless.  Not only for not seeing that the dog has a good home, but to screw with a person who's as well known as Ellen.  Didn't they think she'd raise hell?

I'll sign it, not only because it sounds worthwhile, but because I like Ellen.  I used to watch her perform back in the day (late '80's) at a local comedy club, and she always had a very positive energy about her and seemed like a good person. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:55:09 pm »
I signed too, thanks for the link. I'm be passing it around.

I can understand that agencies like that may have problems with some adoptions; but how cruel and heartless to "un-rescue" a dog from a good home.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:14:15 pm »
I would like to thank Danny for bringing this most important subject to the attention of the online HIV positive community. There is no more pressing issue facing us today than the fate of a celebrity lesbian's hairdresser's daughters' dog.

So much so I'd like to ask, not Ann, Andy, Tim or Jan but Peter Staley Himself to make this thread sticky. Really it should be the top thread in every AIDSmeds forum; yes, even in the sparkling jewel in the crown - Research News and Studies.

Now at the risk of sounding contrary I have to say I won't be signing this petition. Far from breaking two little girls' hearts, the animal shelter in question has done pretty much the right thing. Sure those two kids are heartbroken now, but though they may not realise it, they've just learned an invaluable life lesson:

Never love anything - you'll only get hurt.

Harsh you say? Matty the Damned says it's not harsh enough. The ideal lesson would have been to have the animal put to sleep in front of the girls and their overly indulgent parents live on Ms Degeneres television show but perhaps that's not technically feasible.

So once again, thank you to Danny for this thread.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 06:21:58 pm »
I signed the petition.  I'm all for doggies.

DOGS RULE
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 06:24:40 pm »
How ridiculous....signed it. 

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 06:49:17 pm »
I saw the video on Yahoo and the post Moonlight put in the Women's Forum. I have a heart and I signed it. I think the shelter was incredibly cruel to yank that dog away from the girls and more of being assholes for not even responding to why they did it. I love you, Matty Dearest but I have to disagree with you on this one.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Teresa

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:57:34 pm »
I signed it and I hope it helps get the dog back to the little girls.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 07:00:19 pm »
I saw the video on Yahoo and the post Moonlight put in the Women's Forum. I have a heart and I signed it. I think the shelter was incredibly cruel to yank that dog away from the girls and more of being assholes for not even responding to why they did it. I love you, Matty Dearest but I have to disagree with you on this one.....

This is "Off Topic," after all.

Signed it. Thanks Danny!

:-*

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 07:05:17 pm »
Sure those two kids are heartbroken now, but though they may not realise it, they've just learned an invaluable life lesson:

But even more invaluable is when you learn that it's still worth it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 07:06:43 pm »
I just saw a news story that said the lawyer for Mutts & Moms has said that everyone wants what's best for Iggy, so there's some hope.  The police were called at the time they came to get the dog, and since the microchip was still registered to M&M, they allowed those skanks to remove Iggy from the home.

If it had happened to me, I would have seen Miss Gulch flashing before my eyes!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 07:08:35 pm »
Just a bit confused to why I was quoted on this.... I think Mutts&Moms is full of shit, if they wanted what was best for Iggy, they would've left him where he was...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 07:20:26 pm »
Akasha, I quoted you because I disagree with MtD on this issue as well. Call me a coward, but as long as I got your back, you're in front of me.  ;D

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 07:25:53 pm »
Ellen should have kept the dog instead of getting rid of it because of the two cats she keeps.
She felt the dog was too hyper for the cats peaceful repose. Hogwash!!!! What happen? She got tired of the dog and dumped it where she felt it would have a good home. She didn't have the right to hand the dog to anyone else per agreement with adoption agency. She knows she hurt those kids by her actions and for that I feel bad for her.
I don't think she acted wisely. Why not get rid of the cats so the dog could be at ease in his own home? She knew the dog was a bit hyper when she chose to adopt it.

The agency is acting in the interest of the dog. This policy is strictly enforced because it keeps an animal from ending up into a worst home(s) than they would have interview, inspected and allowed. Agencies have experienced these scenarios before and have hindsight into what can happen.

i.e. A dog goes to a good home. Then the animal gets passed through two more owners. Then the animal ends up in a home where it is abused, or tortured, or goodness knows what else, or thrown in a pit as a primer before the main dogfighting event.

Again, the agency is acting in protective custody of the animal and it reserved the right to find a new home for the dog. Ellen should know the validity of a contract, an agreement or her word--by now.

I am thinking the agency will likely interview the family and who knows,--they may get Iggy back.
xxx,
Mike

Dan J.

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 07:32:21 pm »
I am  glad we have our own Iggy.  Eventhough he could use a little potty training he is a good little pup.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:34:19 pm by Dan J. »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »
I would like to thank Danny for bringing this most important subject to the attention of the online HIV positive community. There is no more pressing issue facing us today than the fate of a celebrity lesbian's hairdresser's daughters' dog.

So much so I'd like to ask, not Ann, Andy, Tim or Jan but Peter Staley Himself to make this thread sticky. Really it should be the top thread in every AIDSmeds forum; yes, even in the sparkling jewel in the crown - Research News and Studies.

Now at the risk of sounding contrary I have to say I won't be signing this petition. Far from breaking two little girls' hearts, the animal shelter in question has done pretty much the right thing. Sure those two kids are heartbroken now, but though they may not realise it, they've just learned an invaluable life lesson:

Harsh you say? Matty the Damned says it's not harsh enough. The ideal lesson would have been to have the animal put to sleep in front of the girls and their overly indulgent parents live on Ms Degeneres television show but perhaps that's not technically feasible.

So once again, thank you to Danny for this thread.

Best regards,

MtD

I enjoyed that.  Thanks.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 08:19:38 pm »
But even more invaluable is when you learn that it's still worth it.

that was beautiful.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 11:25:12 pm »
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I know you all think you are doing the right thing but pet adoption agencies and humane societies have a responsibility for the welfare of the dog, not the person.

If you knew how many people got dogs and then didn't take care of them or gave them to someone else who didn't take care of them it would make you sick!  I see it everyday!  People treat animals like property with no feelings.

I love Ellen, but she does not need to have any pets.  She does not take care of them and didn't realize it would be a lifetime commitment.  The dog will be better off at the agency with stability and someone who's only job is to take care of it than with Ellen or her friends, who are obviously too busy to have pets.  Sorry.

Please, no hate mail.  I worked for years at the humane society and saw first hand what seemingly good hearted people are capable of doing to animals.  The pet agencies cannot take that chance.  It's not about making the people happy, it's about keeping the animals comfortable, stable and safe.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 11:39:27 pm »
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I know you all think you are doing the right thing but pet adoption agencies and humane societies have a responsibility for the welfare of the dog, not the person.

If you knew how many people got dogs and then didn't take care of them or gave them to someone else who didn't take care of them it would make you sick!  I see it everyday!  People treat animals like property with no feelings.

I love Ellen, but she does not need to have any pets.  She does not take care of them and didn't realize it would be a lifetime commitment.  The dog will be better off at the agency with stability and someone who's only job is to take care of it than with Ellen or her friends, who are obviously too busy to have pets.  Sorry.

Please, no hate mail.  I worked for years at the humane society and saw first hand what seemingly good hearted people are capable of doing to animals.  The pet agencies cannot take that chance.  It's not about making the people happy, it's about keeping the animals comfortable, stable and safe.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Sam (and Mike and a few others) on this one.  I'm not going to sign the petition because I support the integrity behind the shelter's actions.  Beyond all the hand-wringing and hoopla of all this, the fact remains that this woman goofed and she knows it.  She admits it.  The agency did what it is supposed to do for the protection of the animals.  And all these poor broken hearted little children likely have to do is go down to the darn pound and interview to take little fluffy home.  No petitions, no fanfare, no breaking news on Entertainment Tonight.  I love Ellen's work.  She's probably a fine gal, but she goofed.  I've worked with the Humane Society myself, for the record.   All these people would've had to have done is make their intentions known immediately that they wished to be considered for adoption of the animal.  They would've been given priority consideration on the spot. 

What this demonstrates is that (thankfully) the rules are being applied no matter how big your name is.

All this boo hooing is just the tale wagging the dog.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:41:02 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 11:56:19 pm »
Ok, that is good and well but if poor Iggy gets no home then I guess the humane thing is to put him to sleep? I have never worked at an animal shelter but from what I see in my neck of the woods if an animal doesn't get adopted out within a certain amount of time then they are put to sleep. Or maybe someone can explain to me why is it all of a sudden that animal shelters are charging money to pick up animals that can not be cared for anymore or if someone tries to do the humanitarian thing and find an animal then call the animal shelter, they want to charge you to pick them up even if it isn't your pet. I think the whole situation sucks BIG TIME.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 12:06:12 am »
I understand that the animal shelter has to follow their rules.  I just hope that they CAN interview the hairdresser's family and put Iggy back into that home.  It should be as simple as that.

BTW, Cheech signed the petition, too!  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 12:06:50 am »
But that's just it (in this case).  Exactly how likely is it that little Iggy is not gonna have a home and get put under?  Not likely at all...because there are two tear soaked little girls pleading for him already.  They simply have to go down and go through the adoption interview process all formal like.  Two little girls from an almost certainly well-off home?  Iggy won't be back in that cage long enough to stink it up properly.  

As for the charges, they are trying to collect monies whenever and however they can because (like all such organizations - including the ones we personally depend on) they are financially overburdened.  

And if little dogs are getting put down to sleep well, that ultimately isn't the Humane Society's fault - it's ours collectively as a society because we haven't yet completely taught ourselves responsible pet ownership and the burden that comes with being the masters of our dominion.  Having to put a dog down is heart breaking.  Even moreso when you know it to be a dog that was brought in because it didn't go with the owner's new car (true story) or some similar excuse for the abandonment at the Humane Society's doorstep.  
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 12:15:28 am »

What this demonstrates is that (thankfully) the rules are being applied no matter how big your name is.

All this boo hooing is just the tale wagging the dog.

Exactly. 

And the rest of you should keep in mind you're nothing but The Little People™

ps:  I've got some mighty tasty gossip about Ellen in my back pocket too!

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 12:23:05 am »
Dear Queen,

I agree, it sounds hypocritical.  Most animal shelters and all humane societies that I know of will not take any more animals than they can take care of.  And yes, many are in financial straits so they have been forced to charge a nominal fee to pick up animals. 

As far as I know, though, all humane societies and most "Mutt & Moms" type businesses are no-kill shelters.  But please note, they are SHELTERS.  There only job is taking care of and protecting animals.  The animals often get attention, play, and exercise about 8 hours a day.  I don't know that Ellen or her hairdresser has that much time to spare.

Ellen's friend may make a wonderful owner, but she should apply and jump through the hoops the right way instead of resorting to a media blitz that could get the shelter owners killed by misguided Ellen fans (the shelter owners have already gotten numerous death and arson threats at their shelter).

The system is not perfect.  In fact it is sort of like ADAP and other programs for people with HIV.  It works some of the time, but you have to go about things the right way.  I'll probably catch hell for that one!

I knew this kid in college that broke the lock on the back of the city pound truck and let all the dogs loose.  He never thought of the hell and fear and starvation and pain that those dogs would probably have to endure.

Remember that animal shelters and most stray adoption agencies are concerned only with the welfare of the animal.  People can spin a story any way they want to.  Animals need people to speak for them.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 01:07:28 am »
"the shelter owners have already gotten numerous death and arson threats at their shelter."

Well, 2 wrongs don't make a right but why in the hell would someone want to burn it down with the animals in there.....That just doesn't make any sense. And then you say that the animals get attention, play, and exercise for about 8 hours a day....Maybe where you're from but I don't think that happens here. They may get some attention and maybe a bit of play but highly doubts it is 8 hours a day. But then I could be wrong but then again I don't think so.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 01:18:44 am »
I signed the same kind of contract when I got my puppy. It specifically says that I have to notify the shelter if I cannot keep the dog. It seems reasonable. She didn't go by the rules, and now it becomes a nationwide, if not worldwide event. I am NOT going to sign this petition. Now the shelter should give a statement, and let the dog go with the girls, rather than hiding and not responding to requests for comments. The shelter's ads on petfinder.com have been removed, noone knows if petfinder removed them or  if the shelter removed their ads. In any case it's getting ugly and it's ridiculous, I don't see who can gain anything, the shelter, the girls, Ellen, the dog?

What is real is that the dog and the girls were happy together. Now that it's on the public scene I believe laywers will be involved and i'm sure they will earn a lot out of it. Well done, Ellen, you should know better.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 01:29:25 am »
The lawyers have already appeared and guess who seems to have sicked them out....The animal shelter instead of just releasing a statement....Hopefully, the hairdresser will go and try to adopt Iggy but won't be surprised if the animal shelter continues to act like asses and not want to give the dog to her.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 01:33:52 am »
People may not like to read this, but so what.

I personally believe Ellen will now owe another (and even bigger) apology to this shelter group for this enormous wave of wrath that has come down on them as a result of her media showcase.

And by apology I mean more than words.  I mean some serious, tangible action.  

Sadly, she just compounded the mistake by this display.  It may not have been an intentional consequence, but that is the result nonetheless.

She's going to need to set things right by them moreso than these little girls.

And their little dog, too.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline randym431

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 06:04:52 am »
Well as with most stories there are two sides.
First, this is not a typical shelter. Calling up to check on a pet is very out of the ordinary for a typical shelter. This shelter is not typical, they take pet ownership serious.
Good for them!!!!

Second, way too often people see and take home a little dog or cat, cause its so cute and so on. Then, after it chews up some shoes or poops on the carpet too often,
or when the person realizes they can not take that "get-a-way" weekend they so wanted cause they are now a per owner, they give the pet away. And not too different from a child, a pet being handed around from owner to owner is not  a good thing.

I remember seeing some years ago a TV story on cities that actually have nite "pet drop-offs". Basically, a pound with a hinged door available 24/7 where someone just drops their unwanted dog down a shoot into the shelter basement, to be abandoned. In this show they set up a night vision cameras showing people driving up and tossing the unwanted dog down the shoot. One case was a small child tossing the dog down the shoot while the father stood by yelling at the kid to get rid of the dog. It was very disturbing and sticks with me still today. The cities that allowed this claimed it was a good thing because otherwise the dog would be given a "one way ride" to some far away neighborhood and let out, just to starve or get hit in traffic.

So I have no doubt Ellen's shelter in question wanted to avoid things like that and only adopt to people that were ready to take on a pet... period.
And if it did not work out, they wanted the pet back, to find it the "right" home.

And one thing readers here might not realize or have forgotten, is when Ellen first started her show back a few years ago, she had a dog she adopted named Lady.
A white and black lab ( I think ), that Ellen had pictures and updates on the show from  time to time. Then on one show a few weeks later, Ellen stated that there was a problem with "Lady" and her cats getting along, and Ellen stated on the air " Lady did not work out, we found lady a good home". Does anyone else remember that?

I think Ellen has good intensions, and she certainly has the $$$ do correct situations for a happy outcome. But this shelter is not considering Ellen as any different than any other potential pet owner (which I think is fair and good). They are treating Ellen as any other pet adopting client.

So even though I have mixed feelings, and want the pet to be happy, wanted and loved in a secure home, I give the shelter the advantage here in knowing that this shelter WILL do their job and find this doggie a secure stable home.

The whole matter of the shelter making Ellen sign this adoption agreement in the first place makes me wonder that there may be more to this story than we are hearing from the one side, Ellen's side.
You have to wonder...

Being a dog lover and owner of seven myself, I know the responsibility and personal sacrifice you must be ready to take on, even owning just one pet. All my seven are house dogs and sleeping in bed with seven dogs is a challenge, but cozy. I love having all the pets I have, but one pet can be too much for some and they should not attempt to take on the responsibility unless they know what they need to do to be a good pet owner.
 Woof Woof!
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 06:49:04 am »
So when you adopt a pet from one of these agencies when does it become your property?

Offline mjmel

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 07:48:43 am »
So when you adopt a pet from one of these agencies when does it become your property?
ownership: your property as long as it remains your property in your home. In effect, they retain control rights ONLY under conditions: violations of the agreement you signed at the time of adoption. Each private or public agency set both common and specific guidelines -- tailored to the locale. (The existence of dog fighting rings in a given area results in tougher adoption/follow-up processes in that area.)

The goal is to convince that they have done the most reasonable performance in the job they set out to do. After a few years one wouldn't hear from them..........the follow-up phone calls might be at 6 mos. intervals, then yearly, then cease. The more rural the less restrictive the policy of an adoption agency, usually.
xxx,
Mike

Offline camille07

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 08:04:21 am »
I think Ellen should kept the dog, along with the cats and just called in the Caesar Milan  (the dog whisperer).  Would have made a great segment. ;)

Isn't the point of "off topic" for us to opine over the absurd and obscure, not relating to our medical maladies.

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 08:18:04 am »

Isn't the point of "off topic" for us to opine over the absurd and obscure, not relating to our medical maladies.
Apparently that only applies to Matty and his bucket-o-nasties....
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline David_CA

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 08:32:30 am »

Right.  Why not do a little looking around at the time of pick-up to see if the family looks like a good 'match' for the dog.  Have the paperwork in hand for them to transfer the dog from Ellen to the new 'borrowers' ('cause they don't own the dog).  It wouldn't have hurt to leave it there for a few days while a background check was being run.  Then, if things didn't look good, the dog could be retrieved without all the negative publicity.  The fact that their website is now unavailable and there's no way to email the 'adoption' organization doesn't look good, either.  What would we think of a company that closed public communications when some bad publicity came up?

I love Ellen, but she does not need to have any pets.  She does not take care of them and didn't realize it would be a lifetime commitment. 

You know this how?  Aren't her cats a commitment?

I have cats and have for 20+ years.  I'm sure I would be surprised by how much work is involved in a dog even after having cats.  I also know how different the personalities of different dogs are - some are super-hyper while others are merely hyper.  Perhaps this one is particularly disagreeable towards cats.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline Basquo

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 10:40:43 am »
The "shelter" people came to Iggy's new home under false pretenses.  Three of them came to the house to do an "inspection," but they came with that many people intending to remove the dog.  They should have been more flexible and reasonable.  They should've expected a backlash and publicity when they took him away from two children who had already bonded with him.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 11:12:48 am »
The "shelter" people came to Iggy's new home under false pretenses.  Three of them came to the house to do an "inspection," but they came with that many people intending to remove the dog.  They should have been more flexible and reasonable.  They should've expected a backlash and publicity when they took him away from two children who had already bonded with him.

That's right... I remember reading that they came with the cops to ensure compliance with their demands.  The thing is that bad publicity isn't good when most rescue organizations / shelters depend on donations. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 11:37:10 am »
Damed MATTY:
You stated don't love anything you only get hurt :'(

How much LOVE poured out to you over this site when you were attacked and your arm broken. You MATTY stated not to love anyone since you will only get hurt. . .I guess the people who loved you here are out to hurt you ??? No one put you to sleep, yet.
Lighten up Damned Mat, show some compassion from your deep black hole of a heart or ass which ever you use. :)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 12:13:23 pm »

Honestly, people....Jesus Christ.  The burden of this should not be placed on this shelter group.  And I know from personal experience that groups almost always send more than one person to such a scene.  They do so for several practical reasons.  To serve as a safety in numbers mechanism for themselves, to get multiple assessments of the living environment simultaneously and yes, to have enough people there to claim the animal and deal with the humans if need be.  It is not the shelter's burden to take all these extra steps of "having paperwork in hand", "leaving the dog while they do the assessment" etc.  It was Ellen's (and this other family's) burden to do things properly per their agreement.  Ellen dropped the ball...an unusual thing for a lesbian to do. 

And this woman - Ellen - should now be thoroughly ashamed of herself for using her platform in international media in this situation and turning this into such a gigantic spectacle.  Of course this agency's contact information has been removed.  They are getting hit by everything from curses to death threats over this...and it is entirely Ellen's fault that is happening.  Think about it - just on this forum this news is travelling completely around the fucking world, people.  And every crazy ass "i wanna be Ellen's BFF" fan is hitting these people with an undeserved onslaught of venom over this situation.  And Ellen, AS A FUCKING CELEBRITY, should know better.  Scratch that - she DOES know better from her own personal experiences.  She knows how to read a damn contract and what the repurcussions of not following such things are.  She also knows all about media frenzies and how things sent over the waves can create a gigantic stir.

She has no excuse.  Nor do any of you who are letting little images of poor celebrities, pooches and crying little heartbroken kids cloud your judgment on this. 

Suprisingly irritated by all this nonsense,

thunter34
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:17:48 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 12:59:15 pm »
agree with Tim... she should have just done it the proper way, and if not, corrected the error by paying the fees again, what's the big deal... what a whinger (whiner in American). And now causing all this damage to the "heartless" org, fer fick's sake as they say in Scotland
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Iggy

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 01:41:46 pm »
What a stupid fucking name for a dog.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 01:50:13 pm »
Geez louise.  When you adopt a child are you legally allowed to give it to someone else?  This is a simple concept folks.

I can't believe there's so much discussion about Ellen's fucking embarrassing sob session on TV the other day.  I finally saw it and what a mess.  Did her damn manager advise her not to do that?  That's what I want to know.  Screw all the other information.

She must have been hitting that glass stem the day before and was crashing.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 01:51:32 pm »
She must have been hitting that glass stem the day before and was crashing.

I have to admit, that thought did cross my mind.  Awaiting hell for saying so, but there you have it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2007, 04:39:48 pm »
Damed MATTY:
You stated don't love anything you only get hurt

How much LOVE poured out to you over this site when you were attacked and your arm broken. You MATTY stated not to love anyone since you will only get hurt. . .I guess the people who loved you here are out to hurt you  No one put you to sleep, yet.
Lighten up Damned Mat, show some compassion from your deep black hole of a heart or ass which ever you use.

Swiss,

I have to thank you as well. Your tough but loving words have gotten through to me in ways that threats of prison and hellfire could not.

What a terrible person I've been and until now I didn't realise it. Yes it's true, under this cold, brittle exterior beats a vulnerable wounded heart that's just crying out to be loved. Why oh why didn't someone reach out to me sooner! Oh the wasted days of bitterness and hugely funny but ultimately hurtful quips and one liners!!

But those days are over. I'm changing my ways thanks to you! Because of you and an overpaid ex-comedian, I'm going out this very day to volunteer at the Boolaboolabongbong Animal Shelter and Fur Traders Co-operative to save as many little puppies and kitties from doom as I am able.

Thank you for loving me.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2007, 04:53:18 pm »
They dont want pets ending up with owners like this.

http://www.bloggernews.net/110959

I dont know about the rest of you but you but I have had a total of 7 dogs and two cats. None hit by cars

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 05:31:12 pm »
Damed MATTY:
You stated don't love anything you only get hurt

How much LOVE poured out to you over this site when you were attacked and your arm broken. You MATTY stated not to love anyone since you will only get hurt. . .I guess the people who loved you here are out to hurt you  No one put you to sleep, yet.
Lighten up Damned Mat, show some compassion from your deep black hole of a heart or ass which ever you use.

Swiss,

I have to thank you as well. Your tough but loving words have gotten through to me in ways that threats of prison and hellfire could not.

What a terrible person I've been and until now I didn't realise it. Yes it's true, under this cold, brittle exterior beats a vulnerable wounded heart that's just crying out to be loved. Why oh why didn't someone reach out to me sooner! Oh the wasted days of bitterness and hugely funny but ultimately hurtful quips and one liners!!

But those days are over. I'm changing my ways thanks to you! Because of you and an overpaid ex-comedian, I'm going out this very day to volunteer at the Boolaboolabongbong Animal Shelter and Fur Traders Co-operative to save as many little puppies and kitties from doom as I am able.

Thank you for loving me.

Best regards,

MtD

And thus it came to be that AIDS Meds was loved to death.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:32:49 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2007, 05:34:12 pm »
Has anyone called her Ellen Degenerate yet?  No, I just did a word search.

*bored now*

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2007, 05:42:33 pm »
  Awaiting hell for saying so, but there you have it.

I could give you hell but would rather spank you instead..... ;D

(working on doing one gay man at a time)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:44:47 pm by Queen Akasha »
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline mjmel

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2007, 05:43:59 pm »
I just saw the cute scruffy little guy on TV........and he was........wearing a yellow bandanna. 
Oh no!
 :o
Mike

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2007, 05:46:28 pm »
I just saw the cute scruffy little guy on TV........and he was........wearing a yellow bandanna. 
Oh no!
 :o
Mike

worn on the left side, no doubt.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.