Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Time to pony up  (Read 12520 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Time to pony up
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:28:43 pm »
Time to pony up info about myself to quell any suspicions, weird vibes, etc.

Alex's Mini-synopsis, Highs and Lows

Early 1990's: Drinkin', smokin', partying. Chose a wealthy boyfriend (“Stuart”) over a loving suitor who wasn't wealthy (“Jim”). Wealthy cold boyfriend = mistake[/color]

Mid 1990's: Reform, cleaning up my act, landed a career via a training program

Late 1990's: Career/salary, materialism, abuse of office power, bitchiness, hateful destruction of my office enemies, climbing the corporate ladder, self-loathing, sordid sex life, illicit drugs, self-destruction

2000's: Tested poz but was an HIV "denialist", more materialism, reckless sex, more self-destruction, almost DIED twice in 2005 from wasting/weakness

2006: Anti-retrovirals, bloodwork, Ryan White, Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, finding out who I am in my mid 30s, holistic healing (nutrition), wanting a career change and hoping the state can help. In other words I can't go back to toxic Wall Street - It was the people that made me sick, not the work. Everyone was so scared of getting fired that all scruples and decency went flying out the window. I adopted that "fear-driven survival" mindset and I became a Jekyll & Hyde of the worst kind. Trying now to be a better person. If you're the prayerful type, please pray for me. I would appreciate that. I want to be a better person.

Highs: Reversed AIDS wasting (134 pounds to 160 pounds), no opportunistic infections at CD4 low of 42 (summer 2005), CD4 high of 419 (18%) (spring 2006), currently 338 (19%), energy/fatigue issues are improving and starting to resemble my pre-HIV years more and more each week. Thank God for meds, right? Current meds are Lexiva, Norvir, Epzicom

Lows: See above

I post lots because I read quickly (I can read a book in 2 days, sometimes a day) and I type 75 wpm (sometimes more). I'm very loquacious, I love the English language, I love laughter and my mind operates quickly, like quicksilver. I agree with Robert Kincaid (Clint Eastwood's character) when he said in "The Bridges of Madison County" - "I think people are fascinating. I'd love to meet every single person if I could." I apologize if I said aromatherapy can help cure clinical depression. I now see that can be highly offensive to the members here with depression and it's totally not my place to say stuff like that. Everyone here I think knows my old life is shot to h*ll, so I currently have no life (whatta shocker) – but PLEASE try to have genuine compassion for me as I try to build a new one and turn over a new leaf. Please. If I'm too needy for you, press ignore, but do consider that you might (yeah, might) be missing out just a little if you choose to do that (see my Highs, above) ... I'm learning new helpful things every week it seems

I pretty much renounced my friends from my "nightlife" era so loneliness is certainly no stranger to me. I have an ex-boyfriend (“Rick”) that I still have sex with (wrong I know!) and I have these forums (where I can cry & release) and I share many of your fears as a person living with HIV. I also have much to be thankful for as stated in the Thanksgiving thread from last week. Tim/Moffie, Joe/killfoile, I need you both and I’m sorry for past insensitivities on my part. I take to heart the recent words you both have written. I truly need you both. Heck, I need everyone here I think.

In love & vitality,
Alex[/color]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:59:52 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
Re: Time to pony up
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:48:10 pm »
Good to know you, Alex.

I feel I'm in a similar place though perhaps 10 years behind you. Quit my high powered job in 2003 to return to school, studying something I wish I could have done 20 years ago, alas ... :)

One of these days I may just take Win's advice and sell myself, but do it right this time.

Love your comment about aromatherapy. It borders on Tom Cruisism ;)

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:50:40 pm »
Hi Alex -  Interesting background.  I've always enjoyed your posts and the originality of each.  I think there is a lot of room for a non-western approach to our ills.  The truth is usually somewhere in between.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline gvolts5

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 03:01:30 pm »
Thanks for the pony.  Nice to meet you.  It's gonna take a while for me to bone up on everything going on here.  Apart from the Forums is the Reading list, Blogs, Lessons, Carols.  No wait, no carols.  I still don't know where my inbox is.   

John

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:45:13 pm »

Alex thanks for sharing.  I apologize to you if my questions in another thread made you feel you had to do so..  I hope that is not the case, but if it is I do apologize.

Aroma therapy does help... why would you ever think otherwise?  I like the scent of green aka weed aka ganja!   The aroma of a good philly blunt wrapped around some good herb is like heaven on earth....  can you tell I ain't got none?

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:47:23 pm »
Hi Alex,
Thanks for sharing your story. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the changes you have started in life will continue to be positive and beneficial.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:15:23 pm »
Alex,

I always knew you were an interesting person.... ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »
Hi Alex,

From the few PMs that we've volleyed, I'm glad to be slowly getting to know you.

Unlike you, I am a slow reader (I like to thoroughly process what I read) so anything beyond one or two paragraphs and me wee brain short circuits. LOL Therefore, I'm sure I miss a lot that goes on here. Your post was very revealing and courageous. Thank you for sharing the things you have. (((HUG)))

You have inspired me to perhaps write up something similar, since my introduction post was lost in the changeover from the old forums.

Daniel  :-*
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Teresa

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 07:15:43 pm »

Love ya
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Longislander

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 07:25:23 pm »
Hi Alex, thanks for posting about yourself. (I haven't yet, won't be as interesting)

First off, I already think you are a good person!

Secondly, your post about aromatherapy made me at east think about looking into it. It could very possibly change a few hours of my everyday.

Don't be afraid to post anything, you may just help someone!

:-*

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 07:31:16 pm »
Hey Alex, even though you thought my name was also Alex and you live in- O.M.G.- BROOKLYN  ;D I can see that you have turned the page in your life simply from your seeing what you were doing and seeing where you want to go, or at least as far as you can see at the moment.  That's the trick to it.  You have to do the homework of thinking through how you got to where you are and see that it isn't where you want to be.  (As in Brooklyn.)  I think I can say because of the group we have here within the forums, that whatever you hit us with, we will be there for you.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:39:47 pm »
Alex,

Thanks for the interesting mini-auto-bio.  Congratulations on the upswing your life has taken.

The only question I've ever had about you is why your SN isn't "holisticallopath" but whatever name you want to use is yours to choose.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 07:52:51 pm »
I've always enjoyed Alex's posts, too.  Thanks for ponyin' up.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 08:05:12 pm »
Hey Alex,

I wanted to take a moment out to thank you for sharing your mini-bio with us. Since the beginning I have always known that there was something special about you. Speed reading? That is a gift.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 12:06:14 am »
I really do think I love you.  Not is the normal sense but in the spiritial one.  You are a young Brave taking on the world in ways i could not imagine.  Things in this life seems to happen for a reason and that reason is unknown to all, but I am glad to know you from this site, to love you from afar, and to wish you the best life can and will offer you.  Truly you are a friend made of angle dust and loving hearts.  Take care and life strong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 12:24:09 am »
here i am thinking that i will have to face life alone even with an understanding bf, he is neg btw.  just when i was about to paint my face blank, not look at another human being, become an invisible man, you come along and force me to look on the bright side.  i guess i will continue to make mistakes in life, and friends, at least some, have their own problems and do not want to waste time on my problems.  my fault, i thought being human was helping others when in need.  that is only true for a few.  i guess i am needed too, but i am trying to be less needy and more and greater than what i could ever imagine.  well, today is the first day for the rest of our lifes.  I hope that all you first days will always be great days even when they are not.  Peace, Love and Soul to you all.

I like the pictue Alex.  It reminds me of Heaven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 12:36:52 am »
alex

you're a great guy and you certainly have nothing to apologize for or feel guilty about. Aromotherapy.  Candles.  Numerology.    Some of us have matras.  Others focus on nutrition and exercise.  Most of us do the MEDS.

I guess you can just say it's an "AIDS THING"  

I can say you've got it all.  Oh Lucky Man!

robert

ps...why don't you vote for the AMG gathering next fall?  You don't have to go to vote.  And why do you think you won't be there?  You never know. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:52:24 am by Robert »

Offline Harvey

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
AL, I appreciate your honesty!  There are very few of us, especially we older ones, who have not made some of the same "mistakes" in our lives, yet so few are willing to "pony up."  Keep your honesty, and above all, stay honest with yourself. I am old enough to have been a "hippie" on college campuses in the 1960s, remember the early news of "gay cancer," have lost many friends and acquaintances, and based on my lifestyle in the 1970s and 1980s should have died long ago.  I have found that being honest with yourself and developing a strong determination to be happy and to help others will carry you through. Know you will be in my daily thoughts, meditations and prayers! Never give up the fight.
Harvey

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 01:04:08 pm »
those "office scorpions" DROVE me to drink!  >:(  :D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 01:58:06 pm »
those "office scorpions" DROVE me to drink!  >:(  :D

But did they drive you home afterwards, or did you have to hail a taxi? :D

Thanks for the insight into who you are Alex, much appreciated. If you want to know more about me, there's always my blog. Don't want to repeat myself and take up bandwidth here in the forum. ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 04:10:55 pm »
Hi Alex

I didn't know what "Time to pony up" meant until i opened up your post...but now I do, so that's something else I've learnt from you... ;).

Thanks for sharing that with us..I thougth you were a good and decent young man before you "Pony'd (is there such a word) up"..and guess what?  nothing has changed you are still a good and decent young man..and I know that the compassion you will get from your supporters here will be nothing but genuine, so I don't think you have anything to worry about on that score.

(((warm hugs)))
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 04:30:47 pm »
Thanks for sharing with us Alex.

I'm another one who has always enjoyed your style of posting. I've often meant to speak with you about what you know about holistic therapies and aromatherapy and the like, especially nutrition. We must chat sometime.

Thanks for your pms today and feel free to pm me anytime!

YEIA KAI HARA! (Health and happiness)

Melia :)

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline water duck

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 06:16:27 pm »
Alex, you know you are well liked and loved around don't you ? if you don't , say so, we will all show you  ;)

Now you mentioned depression : to which you added clinical ; now aromatherapy can be a helpful tool when it is just depression due to finding one is poz, or one BF has left ............. but clinical , well, that is another ball game. But you should not let that bothered you too much, you have the right to make mistakes like everyone else !!!

What brought on this thread is what i am worried about  :o
Turning over a new leaf did you said,  now well , over here the leaves are falling , the new ones are on their way, MOTHER NATURE is taking care of it. AND TOMORROW THE SUN WILL SHINES !!  :-*

Siang
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:18:08 pm by water duck »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 06:25:27 pm »
Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing.  I agree with Robert, I'm not sure why you apologized.  I've always thought you were open minded, compassionate and provided some insightful commentary.

I forward to reading more form you.

Cliff

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 07:40:13 pm »
Ann - I know who you are - You're Ann from the Isle of Man!  ;D  That's gotta cute ring to it huh? Or, is it the Isle of "Men" (cable guys LOL)

I've often meant to speak with you about what you know about holistic therapies and aromatherapy and the like, especially nutrition.

Hi Melia - In terms of all this California stuff, I credit my holistic doctor. He was a nutritionist before he became a doctor. Many of his contemporaries and friends are from California.

YEIA KAI HARA!  (Teach me how to pronounce that babe LOL  :D

Hi Cliff - Thanks - See post #60 in HIV Lite. I apologized because I was not (still not LOL) qualified to give advice on clinical depression yet I was saying "aromatherapy" over and over.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:28:03 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 09:28:37 pm »
Alex, you already know what I think...  I am blessed to have you as a friend in this life of ours.   You have made me see the better parts through all the darkness, and I thank you for that...

Love

Offline joemutt

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 10:20:39 pm »
Thanks for that Alex, love your spirit!

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 12:38:26 am »
Alex,
What a brave, honest thing to do! You are simply one of the kindest persons I have ever met. You have a heart of gold. Thanks for being such a great Friend! Like Eric said, I'm blessed to know you!
Positive since 1985

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 11:11:40 am »
Alex,

I always enjoy your posts.   You're a great guy!

hugs,

Alan    :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Update
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 09:10:30 am »
Update: I have gotten approval for New York State sponsored vocational rehab. Watch out World, I plan to come STORMING BACK

Sponsored because I'm HIV positive

I hope this helps to provide hope today, even if to one person

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 01:31:48 pm »
allopathicholistic :

Who the hell said we were perfect? I was climbing the corp ladder as well, so I can relate to your feelings of being a bastard, leavng your beliefs aside, and stuff.

I am an asshole, I know...But damn it, We are alive....

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 02:21:18 pm »
Alex,
Now don't sugar coat things. (LOL) Ignore you - never! Sure wish I was a speed reader like you!

Thanks for sharing and thanks for your honesty!
Jeff

Offline Longislander

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2006, 02:22:48 pm »
Update: I have gotten approval for New York State sponsored vocational rehab. Watch out World, I plan to come STORMING BACK

Hi Alex, I'm assuming you'll be retrained in a new field? Good for you! Tell us some more about it.

Paul :-*
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 09:45:17 am »
Secondly, your post about aromatherapy made me at east think about looking into it. It could very possibly change a few hours of my everyday.

Hey Paul - Aromatherapy is fine for uplifting a person out of "the blues" etc but anyone (not saying "you"  :D) with bona fide depression needs to get professional help from a qualified healthcare professional. Let that be crystal clear

February is likely when I'll post a vocational retraining update. Hope it's not McDonald's  :D

Hey Jeff - You mean that sprinkley stuff that looks like salt? I ought to use more sugar. Heaven knows I've been using a lot of salt on this board lately and sending rude PM's too (très uncool - Can I blame HIV? How about HAART? LOL)
The speed reading gift was intensified during my 7+ years on Wall Street. I was a report inspector
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:17:18 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 10:18:14 am »
Hey Alex,
Thanks for "ponying up." I have always enjoyed your posts - and many of the comments regarding holistic health.

I hope the training goes well - and the its not McDonald's.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Longislander

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 05:25:37 pm »
with bona fide depression needs to get professional help from a qualified healthcare professional. Let that be crystal clear

Gotcha! Nice disclaimer-lol ;)
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:32 am »
Mark - If I do work at McDonalds I could always slip customers a note (on the sly of course!) that says "McDonald's kills. Have a nice day"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 03:21:53 pm »
Alex,

I hope I don't keel over from the french fries, I can't resist them....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.