Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:32:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 599
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I Need Advice on Disclosng to family  (Read 3664 times)

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
I Need Advice on Disclosng to family
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:23:22 am »
Hi everyone,

Since I was diagnosed, I have kept my status to myself, my negative partner, and 1 close friend of mine.
My partner and I are together 4 years now, and we want to go to the next level.
The next level being, liberation of this secret, obtaining a domestic partnership certificate, etc.
I am unsure on whom to disclose to. My choices are, my brother and his wife or my uncle.
I also have been readiing extensively on as many sites that I can find on proper ways of doing this,the right words, etc.
I feel so bad that I will forever change my loved ones lives by disclosing.
I would be devistated if I cause them to get sick over this. My health is great ( thank God), and I am not disclosing for that reason.
But, it is important to disclose for both myself and my partner.
Please give me all your feedback, your experiences , support groups in NYC, books you may know of, etc.

Thank you all in advance for reading this and for your responses.
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline mjmel

Re: I Need Advice on Disclosng to family
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:45:58 am »
The right words and the timing comes from your heart. There is no "by the book" way. Have a sit down and speak from your heart.
You don't need a guide book to do this.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:49:30 am by mjmel »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:39:13 am »
Hi Brooklyn

I have removed your other two posts from "Off Topic" and the "LTS" forum, you will get the answers you need right here.

Disclosing is a personal choice no-one can tell you how, where or when..but when the time comes and you make the decision to disclose you will find the right words.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:53:20 am »
Brooklyn, I am assuming you've read our lesson on disclosure. Whomever you decide to disclose to, keep it simple. Don't overload them with too much information. And it's important to make clear that your health is good and you're under good care.

Be as clear as you can with yourself and in talking with your partner about what your purpose is in disclosing. And then know to accept letting the chips fall where they may. The way I see it, I wouldn't spend too much energy and worry on the upset for those to whom you disclose. It's a part of the price of loving that we are sad and worried and otherwise react when someone we care about has a problem. Seeing that you are getting on with your life and doing well and that you're happy with your partner will be very reassuring to them.

Keep us posted on how this goes and any further thoughts you are having about it.

Good luck with sorting this challenging issue out successfully for yourself.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline BrooklynGuy

• Tomorrow is not a promise, it's a gift.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:50:47 am »
from one brooklyn guy to another, better to disclose than what i went through.  i was diagnosed in 2005 and avoided my family for the next 2 years - always having an excuse not to see them or go home for holidays.  it was eating me up inside but a tiny portion of me was afraid they would disown me or not love me any more.  then in the spring of 2007 i came down with a nasty case of menengitis/encephilitis - not definately caused by my hiv but to this day, no doctor can explain the infection.  anyhow, because my partner admitted me to the hospital because i was incoherent and convulsing, he was faced with the task of calling my family to a) tell them i was in the hospital in a coma and b) i was also hiv+.  in the end i came out of the illness and my family (who came down to brooklyn to be at my bedside the whole 2 weeks i was in the hospital) loves me just the same, if not more.

don't wait until you have to disclose - be proactive - i'm sure your family will love and support you.
Infected:  Probably 1995
Diagnosed: June 2005
Baseline VL: 650,000
Baseline CD4: 30

Last Dr. Visit: 12/2013
VL: Undetectable
CD4: 700
Meds: Complera

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:06:45 am »
Brooklynpoz, like others have said, there is no textbook answer on this subject.  I tested poz in 1989 and immediately told my parents.  Luckily I had the type of mum who found out the information she wanted (i.e. does the silverwear have to be washed seperate etc.) on her own.  And my family, although worried, was 100% supportive.  They saw that I was getting on with my life, and that was all they needed. 

Just let the words come from your heart.  No one can say how they will react.  But you will have done your part. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
   Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:16:40 pm »
Like others have said disclosure is a personal decision and one many of us struggle with.  It took me several tries before telling my mom.  Finally I just sat her down and calmly said, "I'm HIV+".  From there we just talked.  Trust your instincts and do what feels right. 

Best of luck,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:32:29 pm »
My parents actually got mad at me for NOT telling them for so long, saying "Well, you would have told us if you had cancer!"  You know you waited too long when you have actually explain the stigma concept.

There's also no one technique for this stuff.  I actually did it over the phone because 1) I lived 5 hours away and 2) because I was a weakling.

Good luck.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline David_CA

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:41 pm »
Brooklyn, I am assuming you've read our lesson on disclosure. Whomever you decide to disclose to, keep it simple. Don't overload them with too much information. And it's important to make clear that your health is good and you're under good care.

This wasn't exactly how it went for me, which is why, if I had it to do over again, I would 'voluntarily' disclose.  My disclosure came about due to  my being hospitalized with PCP pneumonia.  I was under good care but was sick as hell.  Laying in a hospital bed breathing oxygen, multiple IV bags dripping, and being connected to all sorts of monitors is not the way any parent wishes to hear about their son's HIV infection (AIDS, actually).  I guess I'm trying to say that I'd rather have disclosed when it 'didn't matter' instead of when it really did.  Not disclosing earlier was a poor decision on my part.  I'd stressed over not disclosing for months prior to actually doing it; the stress and anxiety were terrible.

Why didn't I disclose earlier?  I knew in the back of my mind that my parents and sister would handle it.  I just felt too stupid and like a screw-up for becoming infected in the first place.  I guess disclosure mostly depends on the relationship you have with your family.  Take care.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline billy

• be unique... be best
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 01:50:16 pm »
I just felt too stupid and like a screw-up for becoming infected in the first place.  I guess disclosure mostly depends on the relationship you have with your family.  Take care.

David

That's true... although I told my family quite fast.
As my first test came out positive... around 2 hours later I called my sister and told her... Somehow I had the feeling that I have to tell... to be honest with my family as usual. I did not want to tell my parents also via phone... cuz it sounds tough... but I wanted to. Anyhow... my mom came 2 days later to take care of me cuz i was sick... and asked me about the tests I did and what doc said. I told her... "the results are not so good... the doc found antibodies which are similar to HIV..." - well as you see... i was not able to tell her directly. So I started the case what if... and try to explain her what means HIV / AIDS / Treatment... of course she was shocked... but she gave me also strength. 3 days later I told my father too... same story... OK... then we went alltogether to the labotary for Western-Blot Test... and so what ever the result would had been... I knew my parents would stand by me.

But the only thing I was worrying to disclose my status was not that I was afraid of my family... just as David said... "I just felt too stupid and like a screw-up for becoming infected" and was thinking that I disappointed my parents in a way.

Anyway... When should you disclose? If they are happy & won in lottery? When they are said? In my point of view there is actually NO GOOD timing for such a case... you can only make the difference if you are ready to tell and to explain what that means.

You can also start to ask your parents e.g. if they know what happens in your body if you get a flu... like antibodies are produced... the cd4 cells... which are important to fight against any viruses... but there is a virus which cd4 cells cannot fight against longterm... so you have to take meds (one day)...  bla bla bla

You'll find out what to say...
Good Luck
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:52:48 pm by billy »
09/07: VL 2.200.000
12/07: Kaletra-Kivexa
01/08: T4 720 VL<50
04/08: T4 1.350 VL<50
09/08: T4 1.465 VL<50
02/09: T4 1.230 VL<50
07/09: T4 1.150 VL<50
12/09: T4 1.110 VL<50
06/10: T4 1.600 VL<50
11/10: T4 1.390 VL<50
05/11: T4 700 VL<50
07/11: T4 1.035 VL<50
02/12: T4 1.010 VL<50
06/12: T4 965 VL<50
11/12: T4 850 VL<50
04/13: T4 1220 VL<50
09/13: T4 1100 VL<50
02/14: T4 1120 VL<50
06/16: T4 1050 VL<50
12/16: T4 1520 VL<50

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:05:18 pm »

I told my family ( first my mother, then my siblings) shortly after my diagnoses back in 1985. It was a very emotional period of time. It is also something that I  have never regretted doing. The only one I never told was my father, he would never have understood. I had the greatest of support from my mother and older sister, both have passed on. I still get incredible support from my younger sister. I have seen family's give unconditional support. I have also seen families torn apart by it. I think as Andy mentioned,  Keep it simple, but be prepared.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.