Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 337
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk Assesment (HIV + Partner) I have HSV2  (Read 7063 times)

Offline MellowHype

Risk Assesment (HIV + Partner) I have HSV2
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:55 am »
Thank you in Advance for your advice and responses

Ive been fooling around with a guy for some time 3 times over 9 months. He recently told me that he was HIV Positive...I didnt freak out initially because we ALWAYS used a condom...The last episode we had, I received Oral from him unprotected and and i was the active partner in anal sex. We used a gallon of Lube (water based) and about 2-4 minutes into it the condom broke...I noticed this immediately as it happened made a considerate exit, excused myself and washed my penis off. I slapped on another condom and we went at it again...There was absolutely no blood...

Reasons i am not worried
-He has been on HIV meds for over a year, is healthy, and has an undetectable viral load
-We used a condom
-I was....."Inside" of him for only less than a second when the condom broke
-Info that i have come across claims that HIV isnt in Rectal Fluid (cdc,planned parenthood)
-no blood

Reasons i am worried
-Even a brief exposure is an exposure (No im not the most knowledgeable but thats how im thinking.)
- I have HSV2....He knows this but the HSV2 is on my thigh and no where near my penis...There were no open sores at the time of intercourse.
-Some literature that i have come across claims that HIV is IN FACT in rectal fluids at a higher load than blood...
-The condoms we used were kept in my trunk. No extreme heat or cold at this time of year but...(shrug)

As of this writing Im experiencing flu like symptoms and overall suckiness but thats the HSV I know for a fact ive had it for years. Secondly Im planning on getting tested at 22 days or maybe even thirty...How accurate are test at that time....especially if im just getting over an outbreak

-Should i be worried?

ThankYou
MellowDude  8)

p.s. to all the pos people on this forum your patience and care in answering people like me is amazing. You all do a necessary and blessed work. I pray you get it back in blessings 10 fold

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Risk Assesment (HIV + Partner) I have HSV2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:03 am »
Yes, you had a risk, but it was minimal. I've never known anyone to test positive just from a condom break so I don't expect you to be the first.

If you don't want to wait until 3 months, you can do an initial test at 6weeks. Assuming you test negative, that will be a very strong indication that you will continue to test negative.

Great to read that you are so consistently using condoms. Way to go. I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:56:07 am »
Thank you Andy. shame to say but if i wasnt on Herpes meds right now i would probably go get pep. I am expecting to come out of this ok as well though. Just for my sanity. I will test at 24 days then six weeks. Then i will go ahead and get a conclusive six month. Why is the scientific community so confused about HIV in Rectal fluid and what is your opinion on this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:12:53 pm »
You don't have to test beyond 3 months.
Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

Dating an HIV positve guy need advice. & conflicting medical data
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:18:19 am »
HI everyone,

The info you all share on this site has really helped me.You guys are rockstars

Im seeing someone who is HIV positive. He has been for a 2 years and has been on meds for atleast 1 1/2 years. (He caught HIV early) Undetectable Viral load, very healthy lifestyle, This guy wakes up and pisses excellence. We have been seeing each other for 6 months. We have great sex and i want to continue to see him but sometimes i feel like i treat him unfairly...HIV positive person mixed with a person who has OCD such as myself proves quite difficult to manage. I can ruin the mood asking him "are you sore", "are you bleeding", "Whats your Viral load" again." So whats the chance that ill contract this from you?" etc I feel so bad for worrying but i REALLY want to continue to see him... Things have been really REALLY bad for us lately because we had our first condom break  :-[ Its mostly my fault for seriously freaking out...(Im always the active partner and i noticed the break IMMEDIATELY, Total buzz kill )  needless to say its very stressful. Im going to get tested immediately He agrees with this because he says i have nothing to worry about. Im getting a PCR and a rapid test done. (He doesnt agree with the pcr though)  I dont want to break up with him but its not fair to continue to play 21 questions with him all the time.

-advice anyone?

As far as the conflicting medical advice. The cdc Planned parenthood numerous sources claim that HIV isnt in Rectal fluid, its only in Blood, semen, vaginal fluid and breast milk. But there are numerous studies that claim it is...even in higher loads that blood. Is it or isnt it?

Lastly if a person on HIV meds has a lower viral load and its only measured in blood. How does that contribute to a lower risk of transmitting HIV to their partner...? especially if Viral Loads are more dense in Different fluids
-So confused

Any and all advice is welcomed. I wish i could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles lol

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:40:25 am »
Mellow,

I removed your latest thread from the Living forum. As you are not hiv positive, you are not permitted to post there.

Yes, rectal fluids contain hiv. However, as you have already been told, you are unlikely to end up positive over this brief, insertive incident. I've yet to see the insertive partner end up positive following a condom break and I do not expect you to be the first.

His being undetectable is very much in your favour. You'd be more likely to find a winning lottery ticket lying outside your front door tomorrow morning than you are to end up poz over this. Seriously.

You do not need PCR testing. You only need a standard antibody test.

The earliest you should test is at six weeks as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this time. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

If you cannot get your OCD under control, then perhaps you'd be best off not dating a positive person. You're not doing him any favours. It's no fun being treated like a leper by someone who allegedly cares for you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 01:20:41 pm »
Thanks Ann...My apologies for posting in the wrong section.

Maybe i should have posted in the Dating section.(didnt see one)

-Thanks for your opinion on.
You misunderstood my intent for posting posting I wasnt asking for another assessment. Im thankful for  the one i was given. i just needed advice on dating a positive person. Understand i care for him alot...Thats why i am here, searching for answers and guidance If i didnt i would have ended it before it started.
You were in a relationship (or still are) How did your partner finally settle in to dating a person with HIV?
All the best
-MellowHype

p.s. I hope i didnt upset you or anyone else
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:22:20 pm by MellowHype »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:41 pm »
Whatever else you do, you should be talking with the person you are interested in and for whom you say you have fond feelings.

Get his thoughts and feelings about the situation. You might also consider seeing a counselor or other professional together to discuss it all.
Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:12:45 am »
AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH  :o

He was cheating on me....HE  WAS F***ing Cheating on me.....SERIOUSLY!!!! After Everything i did for him...Everything we went through....I didnt let his status come between us...!!!! I tried to get help for my OCD...IM SPILLING MY GUTS TO COMPLETE STRANGERS TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS DISEASE BETTER!!! SO I COULD BE BETER FOR HIM!!!! AAAAGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Im so glad so grateful that we ALWAYS used condoms ... If i leave this relationship with a parting gift over a broken condom....i just dont know....Im so hurt soooo hurt....o my God.... God Please let this be a clean break... :'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:41:09 pm »
OK. We get it.

Let's just focus on your testing. Which hopefully will get you a negative result. And the odds are you will test negative.

Meantime you need to make an effort to focus on other matters in your life while you are waitng to test.
Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:37:51 pm »
 Andy...

excuse the rant...

Emotions run deep..
As i replay the events in my mind i start to calm down...Just staying optimistic, praying and believing that this disease isnt in the cards for me .I went to the HIV clinic here and they decided to give me a PCR....He was reluctant and i did not pressure him...which i think bodes well for me...Hope i get an accurate result (i hear these things can go either way ill let you know Thursday

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:05:39 pm »
Good luck to you. The RNA  pcr looks for viral load at 28 days. A negative result would be very encouraging but you should be aware you would still need to test at 13 weeks to confirm negative status.

Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:52:31 am »
Andy.....

MMMM ???

uh oh...  :-\

I informed the counselor that i was 15 days out....He decided to test me anyway....(shoulder shrug, and confused look)  Waste of time and resources or... still pretty dependable test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 09:47:21 am »
It's always a happy thing to get a negative result. But ultimately the test that is going to matter is when you get a negative at 13 weeks.

Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 11:42:20 pm »
Getting closer to the date that i find out the results of my pcr...anxiety starting to set in...(deep breath)
Im just venting but any kind words are appreciated...I really expect to come out of this ok...but reading on here that alot of people have an "Unknown Transmission" it re-ignites my fear...Im hoping and expecting a negative result but even after that im going to get an Antibody test done...It will be 4 weeks since the exposure date...i will also retest at 6 but seeing some good negative results will calm me down Yikes im a mess...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:10 am »
Hype,

I can't believe you wasted money on a needless PCR test over this very low risk situation. Get a grip already. All you ever needed was a standard antibody test. You're more likely to find a winning lottery ticket lying outside your front door than you are to end up positive over this condom break.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 11:24:53 am »
Thanks for the Reality Check Ann....
But reading through the forums there are members who dont know how they became positive...Members who claimed condom use for every sexual encounter...Just reminds me of myself is all. Folks who tried to do the right thing by using condoms and ended up...Poz im not claiming the end of life  and trying to push a woe is me attitude dbut since there is a risk i feel justified in being a little scared...I could see if i was asking a dumb question like "Getting it from a toilet seat" or "from a handjob" but this is not the case...It was a condom break and i was inside of him even if only for moments without a condom
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:29:01 am by MellowHype »

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:06:57 pm »
Welp my Pcr came back negative...i was 15 days out from date of exposure when i had the test done.
I believe this is a good sign i have about a week and some change left before i am at the six week mark...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
Hype,

I can't believe you wasted money on a needless PCR test over this very low risk situation. Get a grip already. All you ever needed was a standard antibody test. You're more likely to find a winning lottery ticket lying outside your front door than you are to end up positive over this condom break.

Ann

Nuf said.
Andy Velez

Offline MellowHype

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:21 am »
JUst thought that i should come back and let everyone know that my 6 week rapid test came back negative. Im very happy and thank you all for the advice you have given me...Best wishes everyone see you in 6 more weeks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:05 pm »
OK. That's a strong indication that you are going to test negative again at 3 months.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.